christian forums

Worthy Christian Forums - Christian Forums

Welcome to Worthy Christian Forums
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

An atheist chaplain

* * * * * 1 votes

• Please log in to reply
25 replies to this topic

bopeep1909

bopeep1909

Royal Member

• Royal Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,768 posts
  • Interests:Reading,Knitting,Jigsaw Puzzles.and I love to bake.

If they are atheists why do they need a chaplain at all?

http://www.foxnews.c...in-source-says/

In what some might see as an oxymoron, an advocacy group apparently is preparing to ask the Defense Department to appoint a chaplain -- for atheists.

A source tells Fox News that the Military Association of Atheists and Free Thinkers plans to make the request on Tuesday, floating its president Jason Torpy as the proposed chaplain.

Asked for comment, the association referred FoxNews.com to its position in support of a prior bid to name a "humanist" chaplain. The Defense Department has not yet returned requests for comment.

But an aide to Rep. John Fleming, R-La., who last year opposed the creation of such a position, said Monday that the congressman is "aware" of the revived push and "very concerned."

The move would come after lawmakers, including Fleming, battled over the same issue last year.

Democrats tried, unsuccessfully, to pass legislation creating such a post in 2013. In response, Republicans offered up a measure of their own to prohibit the Pentagon from naming such a chaplain. The House approved the measure in July.

With Congress at odds, though, the Defense Department could decide on its own.

A separate organization, The Humanist Society, endorsed Oxford-educated religious scholar Jason Heap last year to be the first-ever humanist chaplain in the U.S. Navy.

The MAAF supported the application. All along, the group has argued that more people identify as atheists and humanists than any other non-Christian denomination.

But Republican lawmakers who have fought these efforts have described the push as nonsensical. The motto of the Army Chaplain Corps is, after all, "Pro Deo et Patria," or "For God and Country."

Fleming said last year that the idea of an atheist chaplain is "an oxymoron."

"It's self-contradictory -- what you're really doing is now saying that we're going to replace true chaplains with non-chaplain chaplains," he said.

But the MAAF argues that military chaplains are not providing enough outreach for those who do not believe in God.

According to research in 2009 by the Defense Equal Opportunity Management Institute, about a quarter of military servicemembers who participated in the study said they had "no religious preference." More than 3.6 percent identified as humanist, while a little over 1 percent identified as pagan.

Several organizations and religious scholars have pressed the U.S. military to consider naming chaplains for those servicemembers.

"Such broad-based and growing support of professionals and experts should make it easy for the Department of Defense and the Navy to open their doors to diversity of belief that includes humanists and other nontheists," the group said in a statement last year.

OakWood

OakWood

Royal Member

• Royal Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,145 posts
  • Interests:Archery, painting, plants and animals, Medieval history

This is inane. It makes no sense whatsoever other than Atheism being a religion, which it is.

Even then it makes no sense because Atheism is a religion without a god so what is the purpose of a chaplain?

ayin jade

ayin jade

Royal Member

• Platinum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 34,362 posts

The purpose of a chaplain in the military is to provide comfort etc to the soldier. While I think an atheist chaplain sounds silly, I can see that atheists want someone available to meet their needs without a "God". I just wish they had a different title than chaplain. 

OakWood

OakWood

Royal Member

• Royal Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,145 posts
  • Interests:Archery, painting, plants and animals, Medieval history

The purpose of a chaplain in the military is to provide comfort etc to the soldier. While I think an atheist chaplain sounds silly, I can see that atheists want someone available to meet their needs without a "God". I just wish they had a different title than chaplain. 

Just an overblown social worker then.

OldSchool2

OldSchool2

• Worthy Writers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,394 posts
  • Interests:Getting fewer as I get older.

I was once a Chaplain's Assistant; all chaplains counsel soldiers of all faiths, or no faiths, so an atheist chaplain is unnecessary per se.

John Robinson

John Robinson

Advanced Member

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 396 posts
  • Interests:my family, writing, film, politics, eschatology, classic rock

When I was in the army, "Chaplain Charlie" was the go-to guy to run interference for a boot. If you were looking change your billet, get a message to your gal, or in general just need a shoulder to lean on, he was there. Of course the great ones (those who were truly Christian) were the ones you could really pour your heart out to, knowing they'd understand.

Beyond the social services I just mentioned above, I can't imagine an atheist "chaplain" would be any use at all.

bopeep1909

bopeep1909

Royal Member

• Royal Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,768 posts
  • Interests:Reading,Knitting,Jigsaw Puzzles.and I love to bake.

Yes,from what I understand jade is right.That is too bad.Because an atheist sure is not going to bring an atheist to God.But that is their choice.

JustinM

JustinM

Royal Member

• Royal Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,282 posts
  • Interests:Ridng my motorcycle, coaching/playing intramural sports, reading, studying, running, fantasy football, etc.

There is a different name for that, it's called counselor, therapist, etc.

Willamina

Willamina

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,849 posts
  • Interests:Birdwatching, Bible study
I am sure a lot of athiests also use yoga or would take a class. They may even use oriental forms of self defense. They might subscribe to most anything but something remotely Christian.

FresnoJoe

FresnoJoe

Royal Member

• Worthy Watchman
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 42,049 posts
  • Interests:The LORD bless thee, and keep thee: The LORD make his face shine upon thee, and be gracious unto thee: The LORD lift up his countenance upon thee, and give thee peace. And they shall put my name upon the children of Israel; and I will bless them. Numbers 6:24-27 - - - Love, Your Brother Joe

There is a different name for that, it's called counselor, therapist, etc.

:thumbsup:

Trust

Thus saith the LORD; Cursed be the man that trusteth in man, and maketh flesh his arm, and whose heart departeth from the LORD. Jeremiah 17:5

Jesus

Blessed is the man that trusteth in the LORD, and whose hope the LORD is. Jeremiah 17:7

B3L13v3R

B3L13v3R

Advanced Member

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 465 posts
  • Interests:-God. The Bible. Prayer. Street Evangelism. Non Denominational.
    I would like to see the Body of Christ come together as one. Our guideline must be the Word of God and it rightly divided. Of the 20 some Bible versions I have, I find the KJV to have the most depth.

Add "Psychiatrist" to the list... :o

I "know" that the Atheist "knows" there is a God, who is God! :)

For the wrath of God is revealed from heaven against all ungodliness and unrighteousness of men, who hold the truth in unrighteousness; Because that which may be known of God is manifest in them; for God hath shewed it unto them. For the invisible things of him from the creation of the world are clearly seen, being understood by the things that are made, even his eternal power and Godhead; so that they are without excuse: Because that, when they knew God, they glorified him not as God, neither were thankful; but became vain in their imaginations, and their foolish heart was darkened. Professing themselves to be wise, they became fools...
(Rom 1:18-22)

Littlelambseativy

Littlelambseativy

Royal Member

• Royal Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,474 posts
  • Interests:Gardening, cooking, baking, making cards.
Is that not an oxymoron? It is virtually impossible for one who does not believe to counsel one who does believe!

Butero

Butero

Royal Member

• Royal Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,461 posts
  • Interests:Religion, Politics, Music, Sports

A Christian chaplain can provide comfort to any soldier, whether they be believers or not.  What kind of comfort can an unbeliever give?  What will he say?  You are just an animal and when you die, that's the end?  The idea of an atheist chaplain is ludicrous. 

JTC

JTC

Veteran Member

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 726 posts
  • Interests:God, The Bible, Philosophy, Photography, and helping others when I can.

I think most atheists today believe in a god-like race of aliens who come from either space, the future or an alternate reality. They consider them mortal beings so that's why they aren't gods. Some still think that planet Nibiru is a real planet, and those beings created us. They will believe almost anything other than the God of the Bible. They don't want sin to exist. They want to be free to do as they deem best. They totally reject that "there is a way that seems right to a man, but the end thereof is the way of death".

MorningGlory

MorningGlory

Royal Member

• Royal Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 32,548 posts

I think most atheists today believe in a god-like race of aliens who come from either space, the future or an alternate reality. They consider them mortal beings so that's why they aren't gods. Some still think that planet Nibiru is a real planet, and those beings created us. They will believe almost anything other than the God of the Bible. They don't want sin to exist. They want to be free to do as they deem best. They totally reject that "there is a way that seems right to a man, but the end thereof is the way of death".

I have never read or heard these ideas from any atheist, JTC.  Atheists, by definition, don't believe in any type of gods, god-like beings or deities.  Where do you get this information from? 

shiloh357

shiloh357

Royal Member

• Royal Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 32,199 posts
  • Interests:Israel Advocacy Bible Study, Apologetics, Theology, Camping, Hiking, Fishing, Birdwatching, BBQing

It's been in the news but it is the most counter-intuitive thing I have seen coming out of the atheist community.   It shows they are seeking...

JTC

JTC

Veteran Member

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 726 posts
  • Interests:God, The Bible, Philosophy, Photography, and helping others when I can.

I have never read or heard these ideas from any atheist, JTC.  Atheists, by definition, don't believe in any type of gods, god-like beings or deities.  Where do you get this information from? 

Basically on the Internet.

Butero

Butero

Royal Member

• Royal Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,461 posts
  • Interests:Religion, Politics, Music, Sports

It's been in the news but it is the most counter-intuitive thing I have seen coming out of the atheist community.   It shows they are seeking...

It comes across to me like they are attacking Christian chaplains by insisting on non-Christian chaplains.  It is sort of like how non-Christian groups will mess up a nativity scene by secularizing it, or how you may be able to have prayer in school if all religions are treated the same.  The idea is to get rid of religion altogether, by making it hard to meet the standards.  I can's see any other reason for having unbelievers acting as chaplains.  Of course, anything is possible. 

MorningGlory

MorningGlory

Royal Member

• Royal Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 32,548 posts

This is inane. It makes no sense whatsoever other than Atheism being a religion, which it is.

Even then it makes no sense because Atheism is a religion without a god so what is the purpose of a chaplain?

Remember satan copies God in all things, O.W.  And, you're right, atheism IS a religion.  One of satan's denominations. 

kwikphilly

kwikphilly

Royal Member

• Royal Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,477 posts
  • Interests:My Heavenly Father,Jesus Christ,the Holy Spirit,the Bible,people,all Gods creatures(great,small & furry),from the sublime to the ridiculous,learning in general,artwork,animal trainer,cooking & eating,laughing

Blessings Peeps.......

I don't even know what to say besides"ridiculous!" Brother Butero said it even better...............

What will he say?  You are just an animal and when you die, that's the end?  The idea of an atheist chaplain is ludicrous.

With love-in Christ,Kwik

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Worthy Christian Forums - Christian Message Boards - 1999-2014 part of the Worthy Network