christian forums

Worthy Christian Forums - Christian Forums

Welcome to Worthy Christian Forums
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Is JESUS against The Ten Commandments?

* * * * * 1 votes

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
26 replies to this topic

Amethyst87F

Amethyst87F
  • Members
  • 15 posts

OakWood

OakWood

Royal Member

• Royal Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,078 posts

Why do you ask that? What makes you think that he might be?

16 And, behold, one came and said unto him, Good Master, what good thing shall I do, that I may have eternal life?

17 And he said unto him, Why callest thou me good? there is none good but one, that is, God: but if thou wilt enter into life, keep the commandments.

18 He saith unto him, Which? Jesus said, Thou shalt do no murder, Thou shalt not commit adultery, Thou shalt not steal, Thou shalt not bear false witness,

19 Honour thy father and thy mother: and, Thou shalt love thy neighbour as thyself.

Matthew 19:16-19

other one

other one

Royal Member

• Royal Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 25,012 posts
He is not against them for the things he told us to do should make us not even want to break one of them much lrss turn them away.

FresnoJoe

FresnoJoe

Royal Member

• Worthy Watchman
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 43,872 posts

Welcome~!

~

For verily I say unto you, Till heaven and earth pass,

one jot or one tittle shall in no wise pass from the law, till all be fulfilled.

Whosoever therefore shall break one of these least commandments, and shall teach men so,

he shall be called the least in the kingdom of heaven:

but whosoever shall do and teach them,

the same shall be called great

in the kingdom of heaven. Matthew 5:18-10

Willa

Willa

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,396 posts
Jesus came to fulfill all the law perfectly on our behalf, and He gave us His righteousness when He took our sin to the cross. He is our righteousness. When He sent the Holy Spirit to us He also gave us new hearts with the law written on them. By walking in the Spirit we put His new law into practice which fulfills the requirements of the 10 commandments. He just simplified it for us. We are no longer under bondage to keep the law perfectly but are free to serve God and others in love by allowing Christ to live in us and through us. Gal.2:20 I have been crucified with Christ; it is no longer I who live, but CHRIST LIVES IN ME; 21. I do not set aside the grace of God; for if righteousness comes through the law then Christ died in vain.

By trying to obey the laws of the old covenant we place the new covenant of God's grace on the side lines; we can't have it both ways. We are either under the law or we trust in God's unearned mercy, a free gift. That is what grace means.

Fez

Fez

Royal Member

• Servant
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,806 posts

What do you think?

Amethyst87F

Amethyst87F
  • Members
  • 15 posts

(I have almost no scriptures memorized.) - The reason I ask is that I think JESUS was called a law breaker when he healed on The Sabbath Day. When this was brought up to HIM, he said , "Is it lawful to do good on The Sabbath or to do evil." (Something like that I think) The question I believe is unanswered and came about when JESUS healed someone on The Sabbath Day.

I've also been told that in order to get into Heaven all one has to do is to believe that JESUS came back from the dead. That was told to me by a young counselor at a Christian Summer Camp. I've learned as well that it is by faith that we will be saved, not deeds. --- I've learned though that we are supposed to follow all the rules because we love CHRIST. Not working on The Sabbath Day has brought up a lot of trouble for me. I read above that someone wrote basically that, "if one breaks one law, they've broken them all". What I've read of The Sabbath Day law is that we are to get all our work done in 6 days and that it be a day of worship. I don't always want to worship on The Sabbath and I don't think I usually finish all my work in the 6 days before the Sabbath.

ayin jade

ayin jade

Royal Member

• Platinum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 35,031 posts

My husband is a pharmacist. He works often on the sabbath. He does not see anything wrong with it because he is providing medical care that cannot always be delayed. 

We are not under law anyway but under grace. The bible tells us: 

Colossians 2

16 Therefore let no one judge you in food or in drink, or in respect of a feast, or of the new moon, or of the sabbaths.
17 For these are a shadow of things to come, but the body is of Christ.

Keeping to the strict letter of the law doesnt mean a thing. The attitude of the heart towards the Lord is what matters. 

Romans 10
9 Because if you confess the Lord Jesus, and believe in your heart that God has raised Him from the dead, you shall be saved.
10 For with the heart one believes unto righteousness, and with the mouth one confesses unto salvation.
11 For the Scripture says, "Everyone believing on Him shall not be put to shame."

There are some who are strict sabbath keepers. Dont let the stress of trying to keep the sabbath keep you from the freedom of the joy in the Lord. Talk to Him about your issues regarding the sabbath. Let Him guide you to what He wants from you in that. 

In other words. Its ok. Your salvation isnt dependent on keeping the sabbath each week. Dont stress over it.

shiloh357

shiloh357

Royal Member

• Platinum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 33,541 posts

(I have almost no scriptures memorized.) - The reason I ask is that I think JESUS was called a law breaker when he healed on The Sabbath Day. When this was brought up to HIM, he said , "Is it lawful to do good on The Sabbath or to do evil." (Something like that I think) The question I believe is unanswered and came about when JESUS healed someone on The Sabbath Day.

I've also been told that in order to get into Heaven all one has to do is to believe that JESUS came back from the dead. That was told to me by a young counselor at a Christian Summer Camp. I've learned as well that it is by faith that we will be saved, not deeds. --- I've learned though that we are supposed to follow all the rules because we love CHRIST. Not working on The Sabbath Day has brought up a lot of trouble for me. I read above that someone wrote basically that, "if one breaks one law, they've broken them all". What I've read of The Sabbath Day law is that we are to get all our work done in 6 days and that it be a day of worship. I don't always want to worship on The Sabbath and I don't think I usually finish all my work in the 6 days before the Sabbath.

Jesus didn't violate the Sabbath.  Jesus kept the entire law perfectly.  The Pharisees accused Jesus of violating the Sabbath, but those were baseless trumped up charges.   They condemned Him when healed no matter what day of the week it was.   Jesus broke a lot of man made traditions, but He never broke any of the 10 commandments.

Flagesapen

Flagesapen

• PipPip
  • 109 posts
I agree. Jesus did not break any commandments and made them simplified and in turn, us free. Its not by works, but by faith.yet faith without works is dead. So the sabbath is to be kept as a day of rest and worship.although we should honor and praise him daily. We find in keeping the sabath We are to rest from our regular daily labor. this does not mean we cant work to help others in need or give freely our time or possesions. I think The instance of the scripture your refuring to when they judged christ was for making the crippled do labor that day by carrying his mat.they took no regard to the fact the man was healed. But that Jesus told another to do laborious activities. Yet also no thought that this was not normal labor for the cripple who had not walked in years. To pick up his mat and walk was his rest in what the lord God had done for him. And I'm sure he praised and worshiped the almighty every step... Now as far as faith and works goes they go together the more faith you have in Christ the more you want your works to show him in you.Jesus said he does as his father in heaven,who never stops working. The work of the lord never rest but is always abiding in love and rightiousness. But if the works you do for him become a burden. Stop doing it. If you have no joy or love for what you do for christ it is no longer a work but its now a law. A law which we are to be free from with Christ as our lord and savior. So let him lead you to his ways and how to worship and rest in him. After all he knows exactly what his plans for you are.

Littlelambseativy

Littlelambseativy

Royal Member

• Royal Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,901 posts
Jesus made keeping the law easy for us. He gave 2 commandments in Matt 22 You shall love The Lord your God with all your heart, with all your soul and with all your mind. And the second commandment is like it - you shall love your neighbour as yourself. On these two hang ALL the law and prophets.
All laws and commandments are fulfilled if you follow these. None others are needed because they contain them all.

other one

other one

Royal Member

• Royal Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 25,012 posts

Easy........   how easy is it to love someone who wants to cut your head off....

doable yes......    easy........  have to ponder that for a while.

*Zion*

*Zion*

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,865 posts

Easy........   how easy is it to love someone who wants to cut your head off....

doable yes......    easy........  have to ponder that for a while.

I shall join you :) 

Amethyst, welcome, and God bless you :)

Roy B.

Roy B.
  • Members
  • 23 posts
The Law was holy, it was good. It did everything it was intended to do. God made the law and He made it in such a way so as to make it impossible for man to fulfill the law (i.e. if you break one law, you've broken them all) so that we would recognize that we can not keep the law and that we needed a savior.

Is Jesus against the 10 commandments? No. Everyone of the 10 commandments have been addressed in the new covenant.

other one

other one

Royal Member

• Royal Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 25,012 posts

Jesus didn't violate the Sabbath.  Jesus kept the entire law perfectly.  The Pharisees accused Jesus of violating the Sabbath, but those were baseless trumped up charges.   They condemned Him when healed no matter what day of the week it was.   Jesus broke a lot of man made traditions, but He never broke any of the 10 commandments.

The Israelites were told to keep the Sabbath holy....   they were to do no work on the sabbath....    Jesus admitted to working on the Sabbath and even more the Father had been too.....   

DemetriusB

DemetriusB
  • Members
  • 23 posts
Jesus came not to abolish the law of the profits but to fulfill them. We are saved by his grace and mercy.

Trinitron

Trinitron

• PipPip
  • 151 posts

Jesus came to fulfill the law.  Paul says the spirit of the law is more important.

other one

other one

Royal Member

• Royal Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 25,012 posts

The old covenant taught us to fear God and if we broke any of his law we would die.

Since it should be obvious that we really can't follow that law without falling short, he gave us blood sacrifice of Jesus to break that curse of death if we would only accept his free gift and do our best to follow him.....   Oddly when we follow the commandments that Jesus gave us properly we will not even want to break those ten laws......     and as of the Sabbath to remember to keep it holy......    Well that's not a one day a week thing, it's a way of life

Is Jesus against the ten commandments......   no not really, but he did make them non effect if we do his will.

coheir

coheir

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,436 posts

The old covenant taught us to fear God and if we broke any of his law we would die.

Since it should be obvious that we really can't follow that law without falling short, he gave us blood sacrifice of Jesus to break that curse of death if we would only accept his free gift and do our best to follow him.....   Oddly when we follow the commandments that Jesus gave us properly we will not even want to break those ten laws......     and as of the Sabbath to remember to keep it holy......    Well that's not a one day a week thing, it's a way of life

Is Jesus against the ten commandments......   no not really, but he did make them non effect if we do his will.

Great post other one well said.

GoldenEagle

GoldenEagle

Royal Member

• Royal Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,500 posts

Welcome to the forums! You are loved siter. :thumbsup:

You are right it is not by deeds but by faith in believing in Jesus Christ that we are saved. :)

You are free in Christ beloved! You are free to worship God every day. God loves you very much!

Don't forget that. Welcome again.

God bless,

GE

Worthy Christian Forums - Christian Message Boards - 1999-2014 part of the Worthy Network