christian forums

Worthy Christian Forums - Christian Forums

Welcome to Worthy Christian Forums
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Hello!

* * * * * 1 votes

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
27 replies to this topic

Rusty

Rusty
  • Seeker
  • 6 posts

Hi all! I am Rusty and live in Cape Town. I am Christian in that I understand Jesus' teachings and live accordingly, but when I see what religions have made of them I have many reservations. Maybe you can help me here.....

For instance, His teachings on our dependence on materialism - Render unto Caesar, the loaves and fish, his instruction to Zebedee, the moneylenders at the Temple and most significantly the camel passing through the eye of a needle. These are all well-known but it seems to me that they are ignored. I'll tell you why I get that impression. There is no denying that Christ's teachings have been the root of our spiritual lives over the last two thousand years and that even though that spiritual guardian, religion, was at our side we have become the world Jesus spoke against. It would seem that the churches do not take this message to heart. The Vatican especially with all its pomp and glory and rich treasures.

As Jesus spoke out so often on that theme, I would think that this message is of particular significance. It is as if saw the world we would, and did, create with the concept of money. Money is not 'of God', it is man's invention and as we were going astray under its influence - making wars, dividing people into haves and have-nots. Creating an oppressive cynicism that led to the exploitation of have-nots to labour for those who have, Jesus felt an urgent need to speak out. Through the ages Christian officialdom has negated it. Today it is more urgent than ever.

This is a conundrum that prevents me from casting my lot in with religions, there is much more, but this will do for now. Am I wrong? Have I missed something?

ncn

ncn

Royal Member

• Servant
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,962 posts

Welcome to Worthy. 

*Zion*

*Zion*

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,847 posts

Welcome Rusty; I think you've hit the nail on the head!

God bless you :)

Fez

Fez

Royal Member

• Servant
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,164 posts

Welcome to Worthy! 

Do you attend a church, or do you classify all church attendance as 'religious"?

Rusty

Rusty
  • Seeker
  • 6 posts

Hi Fez, No I do not 'attend church' in the sense that you mean. I do go out into God's creation, Nature, and connect with Him in the same way you would an artist through his paintings and a musician through the music. In Nature, God's own work, I find peace amidst the diversity of resounding Life. I have been to churches, Sunday Schools, and mingled in many congregations and only seldom found a divine influence as overwhelming as in Nature.

*Zion*

*Zion*

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,847 posts

Hi Rusty, just because one attends church, doesn't mean one is attending a religion.  Jesus is not a religion, He is God.  If we believe in Him then we have faith in the truth, not just mere religion.  I know what you mean about nature, but we do need to fellowship with fellow believers - people who are still not yet perfect.  But praise God that He is, and that He is transforming us into His image; and He wants us to be together in unity, not just with Him but with one another also.

If you read the letters to the Corinthians in the Bible, and throughout the New Testament, you will find a lot about how Christ views His church.  We are His body, His vessel and His Bride.  This is foreshadowed in the Old Testament by Israel, our 'big brother' in that Israel is called God's first-born...

I pray that you find people you can fellowship with under the leading of the Holy Spirit.

Blessings :)

Logan

Logan

Advanced Member

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 377 posts

Hi, Rusty. Welcome to worthy

ncn

ncn

Royal Member

• Servant
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,962 posts

Hi Fez, No I do not 'attend church' in the sense that you mean. I do go out into God's creation, Nature, and connect with Him in the same way you would an artist through his paintings and a musician through the music. In Nature, God's own work, I find peace amidst the diversity of resounding Life. I have been to churches, Sunday Schools, and mingled in many congregations and only seldom found a divine influence as overwhelming as in Nature.

Who is Jesus to you ?

Littlelambseativy

Littlelambseativy

Royal Member

• Royal Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,464 posts
Welcome to Worthy!!

FresnoJoe

FresnoJoe

Royal Member

• Worthy Watchman
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 41,964 posts

Welcome~!

OakWood

OakWood

Royal Member

• Royal Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,085 posts

Welcome to Worthy.

BeauJangles

BeauJangles

• PipPip
  • 185 posts

Hi, Rusty! Welcome to Worthy. You do have a lot of valid points to ponder here. And I trust you'll find answers to your questions. I think your prior experiences will be an extremely helpful, in finding current solutions... Just as others have also had similar ones, such as yours. 

God bless you!

David/BeauJangles

1x1is1

1x1is1

Advanced Member

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 362 posts

Welcome to Worthy Rusty.  I agree with Beaujangles, you seem to have some useful miles of experience behind you.  Any one of them is a true blessing, but grouped together and used as practical pursuits will strengthen your walk. 

Roy B.

Roy B.
  • Members
  • 11 posts

Rusty:  Welcome...I too am new here.

Rusty

Rusty
  • Seeker
  • 6 posts

Wow. I expected one or two comments, but it looks like everyone dropped by. Thank you.

There are one or two posts I would like to reply to, but I will do that in the morning when I'm fresh. I shall also draft a little bio of me, just so that everyone can see where I come from. I've always been a rebel and asked the uncomfortable questions. This is not about being abusive or insulting, its about sharing points of view. Its as much about learning how others think - and nobody thinks alike - as it is about learning others views. 

I hope we get to have many good conversations. See you in the morning.

*Zion*

*Zion*

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,847 posts

Its as much about learning how others think - and nobody thinks alike - as it is about learning others views. 

I hope we get to have many good conversations. See you in the morning.

Likewise :)

Fez

Fez

Royal Member

• Servant
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,164 posts

Who is Jesus to you ?

Care to answer Rusty?

ayin jade

ayin jade

Royal Member

• Worthy Chat Servant
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 33,493 posts

And Im really curious about why you chose that avatar. You are in cape town you said, but that design is a common motif in my area thousands of miles away. So Im curious what it means to you.

kwikphilly

kwikphilly

Royal Member

• Royal Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,447 posts

Blessings Rusty...

Welcome to Worthy.......................I am sure you will be able to have & enjoy many good conversations here with the many good people at Worthy.Start you topics in the appropriate forums(after you have 5 posts) & you won't believe how many replies you will get................this is just the Welcome Forum & look at how many have come! Praise the Lord!

I am curious as well,who is Jesus to you?You did mention His teachings but not your personal relationship with Him.....Care to oblige us?

With love-in Christ,Kwik

coffeespiller87

coffeespiller87

Veteran Member

• PipPipPipPip
  • 780 posts

hello welcome and enjoy your stay. Lots of topics to explore and find ones that interest you and get a dialog going here.

Worthy Christian Forums - Christian Message Boards - 1999-2014 part of the Worthy Network