christian forums

Worthy Christian Forums - Christian Forums

Welcome to Worthy Christian Forums
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

What is repentance?

* * * * * 1 votes

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
22 replies to this topic

Roy B.

Roy B.
  • Members
  • 17 posts

Repentance, in my understanding, is a changing of the mind, which in effect will alter a person's behavior. Correct?  

In other words, when a person repents, would it be appropriate to ask this question....."Do I now hate the sins I used to commit and do I now love the God I once ignored?"

I'm asking these questions because I find myself in somewhat of a dilemma...

The Bible says in James 4:17, "Therefore, to one who knows the right thing to do and does not do it, to him it is sin."

So here I sit, knowing that the right thing to do would be not to light up a cigarette.  But time after time I continue to do so.  If I run to God after smoking a cigarette and ask His forgiveness, will He forgive me?  Does God's forgiveness hinge upon repentance?  Must I put down the cigarettes for good before God will forgive me?  There have been times when I quit smoking and asked God to forgive me, but those times did not last very long...I went back to smoking, the addiction just keeps overpowering me. So after smoking I run back to God to ask for His forgiveness again.  Will God continue to forgive me...even though I haven't been able to quit smoking...not that I want to smoke or want to continue in sin. 

Would my dilemma be what the writer of Heb. 10:26 speaks of? , "For if we go on sinning willfully after receiving the knowledge of the truth, there no longer remains a sacrifice for sins..."

kwikphilly

kwikphilly

Royal Member

• Royal Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,413 posts

Blessings Roy

Welcome to Worthy,,,,yes,you do understand what repentance means.I do not think that is what you are struggling with,you are struggling with the flesh & the physical addiction of smoking but sometimes there is a lot to it......when we bring these things we are bound by to the foot of the Altar,are we submittiing to God without reservations...no,that is the problem.It is also not having the desire to let go.

Of course you are forgiven & don't expect to be transformed into a new Creature of Christ overnight,it can happen that way but it does not always.........but you ARE forgiven,that does not mean you are not going to suffer reprocussions of the sin(smoking= cancer,emphysema etc...) but it has nothing to do with your Salvation.

Sometimes we are not "delivered" of our bondages so easily,as I said,,,because of reservations........we have to make a willful attempt to take captive every thought(temptation),resist & work a little harder at having self control & discipline......Of course God will see you through it but perhaps He wants to see more effort on your part?

The first time I was delivered from smoking it was miraculous,a gift from God,,,He removed the taste from my mouth & I just quit,instantly!I remained a non'smoker for over 2 years & then just picked it up again,2nd time around I asked God to 'deliver "me and he said"NO",,,,,He already did that & I squandered the gift,He did not say He would not help but it was going to take some effort on my part this time........

God loves you very much & does not want you to suffer the consequences of smoking,it is not so easy to quit but He will help you when you are ready....................Praise & Glory to God!

With love,in Christ-Kwik

Omegaman

Omegaman

• Worthy Chat Servant
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,941 posts

Primarily, it means to turn 180 degrees, or to turn from something - often to something else. I can denote regret, sorrow etc, but it is more than I can elaborate on here. For more complete information, you may want to check this link.

enoob57

enoob57

Royal Member

• Soapbox - Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,262 posts

Repentance, in my understanding, is a changing of the mind, which in effect will alter a person's behavior. Correct?  

In other words, when a person repents, would it be appropriate to ask this question....."Do I now hate the sins I used to commit and do I now love the God I once ignored?"

The Bible says in James 4:17, "Therefore, to one who knows the right thing to do and does not do it, to him it is sin."

So here I sit, knowing that the right thing to do would be not to light up a cigarette.  But time after time I continue to do so.

Salvation is an event of seeing the truth
that is in God's Word- that your are sin;
Rom 3:12
12 They are all gone out of the way, they are together become unprofitable;
there is none that doeth good, no, not one.
KJV
Rom 3:23
23 For all have sinned, and come short of the glory of God;
KJV

in a place where sin is highly
esteemed and accepted as the norm;
1 John 2:16-17
16 For all that is in the world, the lust of the flesh, and the lust of the eyes,
and the pride of life, is not of the Father, but is of the world. 17 And the world
passeth away, and the lust thereof: but he that doeth the will of God abideth for ever.
KJV

and in this reality you find yourself
where there is no resource but that of Jesus,
Himself, Who came into womb of a virgin
woman by The Power of The Holy Spirit;
John 14:6
6 Jesus saith unto him, I am the way, the truth, and the life: no man cometh unto the
Father, but by me.
KJV
Acts 4:12
12 Neither is there salvation in any other: for there is none other name under heaven
given among men, whereby we must be saved.
KJV
Phil 2:10-11
10 That at the name of Jesus every knee should bow, of things in heaven, and things in
earth, and things under the earth; 11 And that every tongue should confess that Jesus
Christ is Lord, to the glory of God the Father.
KJV

born as we yet never sinning- 33 years of
perfect living before God as The Son of God;
Heb 4:15
15 For we have not an high priest which cannot be touched with the feeling of our
infirmities; but was in all points tempted like as we are, yet without sin.
KJV

then by The Will of The Father went to the cross
to exchange that perfect life for our life of sin;
Matt 26:39
39 And he went a little further, and fell on his face, and prayed, saying, O my
Father, if it be possible, let this cup pass from me: nevertheless not as I will,
but as thou wilt.
KJV

died and was buried 3 days;
1 Cor 15:4a
4 And that he was buried
KJV

rose the third day from the dead having
life after receiving our death;
1 Cor 15:4b
and that he rose again the third day according to the scriptures:
KJV

and is on the right hand of The Father empowing us
to serve the living God by sanctification.
Heb 9:11-14
11 But Christ being come an high priest of good things to come, by a greater and more
perfect tabernacle, not made with hands, that is to say, not of this building;
12 Neither by the blood of goats and calves, but by his own blood he entered in once
into the holy place, having obtained eternal redemption for us. 13 For if the blood
of bulls and of goats, and the ashes of an heifer sprinkling the unclean, sanctifieth
to the purifying of the flesh: 14 How much more shall the blood of Christ, who through
the eternal Spirit offered himself without spot to God, purge your conscience from dead
works to serve the living God?
KJV

If I run to God after smoking a cigarette and ask His forgiveness, will He forgive me?

Rom 8:1
8 There is therefore now no condemnation to them which are in Christ Jesus, who walk not
after the flesh, but after the Spirit.
KJV

You see this verse below must have place with the born again!

Does God's forgiveness hinge upon repentance?

initially yes... now it's repentance for doing that which brings Him no glory! Sanctification
it to learn to walk in His Spirit and not fulfill the lust of the flesh.

Must I put down the cigarettes for good before God will forgive me?

You let God lead you in your life and pray...
Heb 10:39
39 But we are not of them who draw back unto perdition; but of them that believe to the saving of the soul.
KJV

Works are never issue
Titus 3:5
5 Not by works of righteousness which we have done, but according to his mercy he saved us, by
the washing of regeneration, and renewing of the Holy Ghost;
KJV

Those who believe works are necessary deny the death, burial and resurrection of Jesus...

There have been times when I quit smoking and asked God to forgive me, but those times did not last very long...I went back to smoking, the addiction just keeps overpowering me. So after smoking I run back to God to ask for His forgiveness again.

the fact the voice within you does not give up but continues urging you to quit and you evidently can't shut
it out... trust in God as He is urging you He will also provide a way! It can be done many have I am one :)
1 Cor 10:13
13 There hath no temptation taken you but such as is common to man: but God is faithful, who will
not suffer you to be tempted above that ye are able; but will with the temptation also make a way
to escape, that ye may be able to bear it.
KJV

Will God continue to forgive me...even though I haven't been able to quit smoking...not that I want to smoke or want to continue in sin.

Just as long as you realize it is God within you and he can do anything! It must be you
holding y(Y)ou two up :) but if His Child you have this as well
1 Sam 12:22
22 For the Lord will not forsake his people for his great name's sake: because it hath pleased
the Lord to make you his people.
KJV
Heb 13:5
5 Let your conversation be without covetousness; and be content with such things as ye have:
for he hath said, I will never leave thee, nor forsake thee.
KJV

Would my dilemma be what the writer of Heb. 10:26 speaks of? , "For if we go on sinning willfully after receiving the knowledge of the truth, there no longer remains a sacrifice for sins..."

assurance is produced by The Work of Jesus but the awareness is brought to our minds by obedience!

In faith. Eph 3:12; 2 Tim 1:12; Heb 10:22.
by hope. Heb 6:11,19.
by love. 1 John 3:14,19; 4:18.
experienced in righteousness. Isa 32:17.
abundant by the gospel. Col 2:2; 1 Thess 1:5.
redemption. Job 19:25.
adoption. Rom 8:16; 1 John 3:2.
Their salvation. Isa 12:2.
Eternal life. 1 John 5:13.
bound up in us with God and Christ. 1 Cor 6:15; 2 Cor 13:5; Eph 5:30; 1 John 2:5; 4:13.
Peace with God Rom 5:1.
Preservation. Ps 3:6,8; 27:3-5; 46:1-3.
prayer. 1 John 3:22; 5:14-15.
remaining in grace not works. Phil 1:6.
suffering Ps 73:26; Luke 4:18-19; 2 Cor 4:8-10,16-18.
Love, Steven

Edited by enoob57, 20 May 2014 - 06:42 AM.

bopeep1909

bopeep1909

Royal Member

• Royal Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,768 posts

The word repent means "to change ones mind".The Bible tell us that a true repentance will result in a change of actions Luke 3:8-14;Acts 3:19.Repentance is not a work that earns salvation,repentance unto salvation does result in works.Repentance is necessary for salvation,turning from sin is not repentance.

Roy B.

Roy B.
  • Members
  • 17 posts

Thanks for everyone's input.  I can't help but believe that Christ is in the process of changing me and setting me free.  I have to believe it is true, because that's what His word says... "...being transformed into the same image from glory to glory..."

Allow me to ask another question...from where does the ability to repent come from?  From my own decision or is it a grace (gift) from God that allows a person to repent?

wordsponge

wordsponge
  • Members
  • 13 posts

Repentance to is return.

Confession is acknowledgement...

Acts.2

Repent... (return to the Mighty God) ...

Regards..

P_W

P_W

Veteran Member

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 626 posts

Hello!  I can only speak for myself, and I do not know how many degrees one does actually turn away from sin and wrong doing, but I can put this into childlike terms to try to explain my humble opinion.

When I was a child, I lied to my mommy and right away I felt badly.  I literally became sick to my stomach!  Lost sleep!  All torn up inside that I hurt my precious Mother with my lie.  I swore I would never do that again!

I can so remember that guilt I experienced for, what I remember as being the first time, I consciously sinned.  I have other memories, too, of doing wrong as a child and feeling remorse.  Some of those memories actually make me chuckle, when I think of how minor of an offense my act seemed to me today.  Then I wonder, has my conscious become seared?  

If I felt such complete remorse at an act like, pocketing a piece of bubblegum without pay, yet can push my car slightly above the speed limit on any given day and think that is normal, is my conscious seared?   Just in case it is, I repent daily.  And I ask our dear Lord to forgive me daily, and to bring to mind the things that I do which are unpleasing to Him, that I may work on those "sins", too.

I know it means to "turn away from sin," this word; "repent", and I know Jesus said, "Go, and sin no more...."  But, I'm still finding out about sin in my life that most people just overlook and as a society, we have come to believe that it is "normal".  It isn't, and so I repent and will repent day after day until I finally get it right.  

The Word of G-d is still eternally true and does not change with the ages.  It is upon this Holy Word that I stand!  Amen

Much love from His precious child,

Shalom, Prair

Omegaman

Omegaman

• Worthy Chat Servant
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,941 posts

Repentance, is an action, turning around, and a change of heart. It is God who changes hearts on the inside, though circumstances (consequences of our actions) can motivate us to change as well. A problem is, that sometimes, we might want to change - for example to win back a spouse who left us, but if that spouse returns, or when it becomes obvious that will not happen, then we might go back to our old ways.

That is the difference between the change of heart kind, and the circumstantial kind. When we are indwelt by the Holy Spirit, we begin to change. We become sensitive to His will, and we have the fruit of the Spirit - love, joy peace, patience, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, gentleness and self control.

In repentance, all of these aspects of the fruit of the Spirit can play an important part. These are not things we generate in our power, they are natural, or really supernatural, results of the indwelling Spirit of God. God changes us, sets us apart for His purposes, the technical term is sanctification, and over our lives as beleivers, if we are not fighting God, these aspects of the fruit, become more developed, obvious, and evident, as we are conformed to the image of God's Son, Jesus.

To those who have received a faith of the same kind as ours, by the righteousness of our God and Savior, Jesus Christ: 2Grace and peace be multiplied to you in the knowledge of God and of Jesus our Lord; 3seeing that His divine power has granted to us everything pertaining to life and godliness, through the true knowledge of Him who called us by His own glory and excellence. 4For by these He has granted to us His precious and magnificent promises, so that by them you may become partakers of the divine nature, having escaped the corruption that is in the world by lust. 5Now for this very reason also, applying all diligence, in your faith supply moral excellence, and in your moral excellence, knowledge, 6and in your knowledge, self-control, and in your self-control, perseverance, and in your perseverance, godliness, 7and in your godliness, brotherly kindness, and in your brotherly kindness, love. 8For if these qualities are yours and are increasing, they render you neither useless nor unfruitful in the true knowledge of our Lord Jesus Christ. 9For he who lacks these qualities is blind or short-sighted, having forgotten hispurification from his former sins. 10Therefore, brethren, be all the more diligent to make certain about His calling and choosing you; for as long as you practice these things, you will never stumble; 11for in this way the entrance into the eternal kingdom of our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ will be abundantly supplied to you. 2nd Pet 1

16But I say, walk by the Spirit, and you will not carry out the desire of the flesh. 17For the flesh sets its desire against the Spirit, and the Spirit against the flesh; for these are in opposition to one another, so that you may not do the things that you please. 18But if you are led by the Spirit, you are not under the Law. 19Now the deeds of the flesh are evident, which are: immorality, impurity, sensuality, 20idolatry, sorcery, enmities, strife, jealousy, outbursts of anger, disputes, dissensions, factions, 21envying, drunkenness, carousing, and things like these, of which I forewarn you, just as I have forewarned you, that those who practice such things will not inherit the kingdom of God. 22But the fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, 23gentleness, self-control; against such things there is no law. 24Now those who belong to Christ Jesus have crucified the flesh with its passions and desires.

25If we live by the Spirit, let us also walk by the Spirit. 26Let us not become boastful, challenging one another, envying one another.  Gal 5

13No temptation has overtaken you but such as is common to man; and God is faithful, who will not allow you to be tempted beyond what you are able, but with the temptation will provide the way of escape also, so that you will be able to endure it.   1 Cor 10

FresnoJoe

FresnoJoe

Royal Member

• Worthy Watchman
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 43,501 posts

....from where does the ability to repent come from?  From my own decision or is it a grace (gift) from God that allows a person to repent?....

:thumbsup:

Hi Roy

Repentance Is A Gift

In meekness instructing those that oppose themselves; if God peradventure will give them repentance to the acknowledging of the truth; 2 Timothy 2:25

From God

When they heard these things, they held their peace, and glorified God, saying, Then hath God also to the Gentiles granted repentance unto life. Acts 11:18

Use It

For godly sorrow worketh repentance to salvation not to be repented of: but the sorrow of the world worketh death. 2 Corinthians 7:10

kwikphilly

kwikphilly

Royal Member

• Royal Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,413 posts

Blessings Roy....

God Bless you,I like you so much already.....I love your transparency,,your candor....    You make the decision,with a sincere heart & of your own free will but without the Helper,it would be like paddling upstream (without a paddle-lol)....the Power of the Holy Spirit is what enables us to repent ,,,He changes the desires of our heart & renews our mind (Heart & Mind of Christ)...................

Complete surrender of one's self & total submission is when the process of "dying to ones self " & living to Christ really begins......the old saying "let go & let God"!

With love,in Christ-Kwik

enoob57

enoob57

Royal Member

• Soapbox - Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,262 posts

Thanks for everyone's input.  I can't help but believe that Christ is in the process of changing me and setting me free.  I have to believe it is true, because that's what His word says... "...being transformed into the same image from glory to glory..."

Allow me to ask another question...from where does the ability to repent come from?  From my own decision or is it a grace (gift) from God that allows a person to repent?

All resource comes direct from first God's spoken Word creating all that we sense...
and God's written Word that delivers truth alone because we corrupted ourselves in
in the first sense, creation, by sinning! Sin brings with it the inability to see, itself a
blindness to the 'IS'...! Fallen man sees the destruction of himself through that which he does
and cannot extricate himself from that doing... he then seeks to understand the why of this reality
he is in! If he chooses to follow the drawing of God-> He will be drawn to the second part of the same
resource God's written Word and he will do so knowing that all he is coming from is death and end
yet somehow in the drawing of God there is more... as he reads and hears God's Word a faith
begins in himself and in this faith alone formed from God's Word does repentance come. As this
occurs in what appears to be a unique and personal reality within each an everyone of us that
have been born of God through His Son, The Living Word, formed from the written Word so we are...
God's Word shows all mankind what he truly is. By that sight we see the need to be reborn into
a different being that which belongs to God for God's glory and use... as this is not of our
ability, just like the first birth, so we must ask of God save us from all of what we are and
where we are at. Then based upon that Holy Word, in which God cannot lie, He does :) The repentance
is an agreement with God that by His Word alone, through faith alone, we live and have our being
and there is no other reliable instruction set but that of Genesis thru Revelation...
Love, Steven

LoveGeneration

LoveGeneration
  • Members
  • 13 posts

So here I sit, knowing that the right thing to do would be not to light up a cigarette.  But time after time I continue to do so.  If I run to God after smoking a cigarette and ask His forgiveness, will He forgive me?  Does God's forgiveness hinge upon repentance?  Must I put down the cigarettes for good before God will forgive me?  There have been times when I quit smoking and asked God to forgive me, but those times did not last very long...I went back to smoking, the addiction just keeps overpowering me. So after smoking I run back to God to ask for His forgiveness again.  Will God continue to forgive me...even though I haven't been able to quit smoking...not that I want to smoke or want to continue in sin. 

Repentance involves not repeating the sin again. You have not repented, you have simply asked for forgiveness. God will continue to forgive you, but you need to ask Him for guidance and help to quench your addiction before you attempt to repent. Nicotine is an addictive drug, so through your own strength you will not be able to overcome your addiction, you need to pray and ask God for help. 

• PipPip
  • 227 posts
Hello Roy
Sounds to me like your heart is right but that you are getting hung up on reformation. Reformation is alright but I think what you are really after is sanctification. The scriptural process is Justification, Sanctification and then the Sealing. As I understand it the only real sin is unbelief for if we are believers everything else will follow. My suggestion is to stop beating yourself up, commit your ways whole heartedly to the Lord and find a good bible believing fellowship and stay there and let the Lord look after things. What you can do is feed on the Word faithfully come rain or shine.

Willa

Willa

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,326 posts
I have heard Christians say that it was easier for them to overcome cocain addiction than cigarette addiction. I have known people who got help from doctors but smoked as well and never overcame it.

Sometimes we leave ourselves "loop holes" as well. I will quit, but I know if my friends are smoking I will have one, too, type loop holes. So the key would be to avoid your friends who smoke. Hubby and I had to quit at the same time. And we were at each others throats for a month. But I was pregnant and 3 doctors had told me to quit. We did it cold turkey, the hard way, but they weren't as potent in the 60s. So if you really want to quit, you should probably see a doctor, and simply ask God to help you to stick to it. No exceptions. No loop holes.
Then ask God to fill you with His Spirit again to give you the power to overcome.
Then start focusing on God and do the things He does want you to do.--- If He tells you to give the money that you would have spent on cigarettes to the poor at a mission, do it. Whatever you feel God has put on your heart to do that agrees with scripture and is Christ like is what you should focus on doing. That is walking in the Spirit. Keep your eyes on Jesus, not the sin that so easily besets you. And I am not saying it will be easy unless God gives you extra special grace.

If it would help, find a self help group or a pastor who might hold you accountable and pray for you. Ask for prayer from your family or any people that you know who are prayer warriors.
And present your body a living sacrifice to God, which is your reasonable service. Renew your mind daily in the washing and regeneration of His Word, the bread of life.

I do ask God to give you the grace to overcome this, and to help you leave them behind for good. Greater is He that is in you, than he that is in the world. Be of good cheer, Jesus has overcome the world. Read Romans 7 and all of Romans 8 again. Walking in the Spirit is the answer to the o wretched man that I am scenerio. Thanks be to God!!! He has given us a way out!!!
Blessings,
Willa

CurtisCWilson

CurtisCWilson

• PipPip
  • 121 posts

Since you already know that "repentance" means ,"to change your mind", but that does not mean to change what you are thinking about, but to change from your carnal mind (which is the enemy of God) in your head, to the mind of Christ (which is your new life) in your heart.

Rustyangel

Rustyangel

Royal Member

• Worthy Chat Servant
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,543 posts

Since you already know that "repentance" means ,"to change your mind", but that does not mean to change what you are thinking about, but to change from your carnal mind (which is the enemy of God) in your head, to the mind of Christ (which is your new life) in your heart.

Repentance is just that to change your mind and exchange your carnal mind for the mind of Christ.  You become a new creation.  You realize you were bought with a price and you begin to also realize that you are a priceless treasure to the Father.

Matanah

Matanah
  • Banned
  • 78 posts

My understanding of it is to turn. 180 degrees in other direction.

Turn away from sin and to the Lord

I hope that's right  :)

alien224

alien224

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,084 posts
Repentance is when we sin and go to God truly sorrowful and ask God to help us turn from our sinful ways and for forgiveness of our sins. Then with Gods help we do the best we can to not to do these things anymore. Its like omegaman said its a complete change within us.

Guest_Geoff Primanti_*

Guest_Geoff Primanti_*
  • Guests

1 John 1:9 declares that if we confess our sins He will not only forgive our sins but will cleanse us from all unrighteousness.

I'm not going to minimalize things for you by telling you that smoking isn't a sin.  But because it isn't a sin specifically mentioned in the word, I believe your problem lies in this completely.  If you are going to have the victory you are going to have to understand wholeheartedly that it is a sin; otherwise you will figure that it doesn't matter too much to eternity and will continue because of the pleasure it offers you.

That is what addiction is all about.  And Paul declares that addiction is based in sinful things in 1 Corinthians 6:12.  He declares his victory over sinful addiction in this verse.

Jesus also speaks of the sinfulness of addictive things in John 8:31-36, especially verses 34-35.

I don't mean to scare you by these verses but salvation is not complete without repentance unto victory as he who overcomes will inherit all things and eternal life.

The good news is that if He has begun a good work in you He will complete it until the day of Jesus Christ.  Philippians 1:6.  Hold onto this promise and also believe Philippians 2:12-13 understanding that it does not say in those verses work for but rather work out as in when figuring out a math problem. 

Worthy Christian Forums - Christian Message Boards - 1999-2014 part of the Worthy Network