christian forums

Worthy Christian Forums - Christian Forums

Welcome to Worthy Christian Forums
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Putting God first

* * * * * 1 votes

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
27 replies to this topic

PurpleDee

PurpleDee
  • Members
  • 7 posts
Putting The Lord before everyone and everything else.
This is one thing I' m not even sure I understand, let alone think I'm capable of doing. I want to, I know that is how it is supposed to be but I've never figured out what that would look like.

Right now, and probably for the past 14 years, I would have to say my children are number one for me.
We attend church every week, are quite involved and connected there. We talk of God during the week, our Sunday school lessons often become the basis for further discussion.

Recently, our pastor spoke about this topic, and invited anyone for further discussion to join him afterward, I did, and he said I seemed like I was doing all the right things. Is it just Christian guilt? That I'll never be good enough (which is true, we don't save ourselves). Is it a mother's guilt? That I'm not doing enough to teach them about God. Is it my own anxiety? Perhaps I am doing fine, but how would I know? As I said to my pastor, I am not about to pull an Abraham to prove how much I love Him. (And we've all heard stories of unfortunate people who have).

Combine my own questioning with a few people in my life who have recently thrown this phrase around like my 6 year old trying to hit the laundry basket with a dirty sock, and I am really wondering what it looks like in this crazy life we live. I can't think of a single family in the same stage of life I am in who can say God is number one. I see it in our seniors at church but out in the race the rest of us run...not so much.

So tell me, what do I do, how would I feel, how do I know that I am putting God above all else?

Yikes! Should have named myself RamblingDee!
Thanks for any advice you've got...
D

Omegaman

Omegaman

• Worthy Chat Servant
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,941 posts

That, I think, is a great question, I will be looking forward to the answers myself!

BeauJangles

BeauJangles

Advanced Member

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 285 posts

Dee, your post here about placing God first in your life, is the will of your Lord concerning you... It is for all for those who intend a total, uncompromising walk with Him. Our Saviour is pleased even our heart's longing desire for it. We do have examples in the Word of those who did indeed place God first... Beyond all things. But the Lord understands the difficulty of placing Him first and foremost in your life... So it remains a goal, so to speak. The anxiety you feel is not from God. He wouldn't heap condemnation upon your already troubled heart. Your first post in the Worthy Welcome Forum, had my concern. I'm not implying your Pastor's counsel inadequate. Perhaps you feel more at ease here... And that you can express openly, things that you're reluctant to disclose among the small close-knit congregation where you attend. That's understandable. God bless you, sister. Worthy Ministries are here for you.

Shalom,

David/BeauJangles

I included Matthew 6th chapter, 33rd and a portion of the 34th verse, as they address both topic and encouragement, to your present situation. 

(KJV) Matt. 6:33-34 But seek ye first the kingdom of God and His righteousness, and all these things shall be added unto you. Be therefore, not anxious about tomorrow;  

FresnoJoe

FresnoJoe

Royal Member

• Worthy Watchman
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 43,505 posts

....my children are number one for me....

So tell me, what do I do....

how would I feel....

how do I know that I am putting God above all else....

:thumbsup:

Love

Charm is deceptive, and beauty is fleeting; but a woman who fears the LORD is to be praised. Proverbs 31:30

gracevine

gracevine
  • 1 posts

For me, putting God first starts with praying in the morning and inviting the Lord into my day and to take control of my life.  Through out the day I try to be mindful of God.

kwikphilly

kwikphilly

Royal Member

• Royal Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,420 posts

Blessings Purple Dee!

Welcome to Worthy,this is really one of my favorite topics & for me ,,,,,putting God First is the most important thing to me(for me) & has just enriched my life,become second nature & solidified my relationship with my Abba,my Heavenly Father & Sovereign Lord......the only problem I can see is that I am not sure how to not turn my post into an epic novel,there is just so much to talk about!Praise the Lord

Early on in my walk with Christ I had a slow & steady transformation because I really did not completely submit to the Lord,I had a few reservations,,,,,He simply was not FIRST.I can say I was even Blocking His Blessings,when we are fully committed to Christ the Blessings certainly make for a life more abundant.But ,like yourself,,,I did not really understand what it meant to put God First,I heard it all the time ,thought it but I was not living it .So,I can only share with you my experience but I think everyone comes to this point in their own time & with the Heart & Mind of Christ by the Power of the Holy Spirit

As I began to walk in spirit & in Truth through a renewing of the mind,the Holy Spirit was changing the desires of my heart(I was gecoming that new creature in Christ)...I yearned to be closer & closer to God,,......We know that God inhabits our Praise and that where I entered into His Presence ,the more I focused on Praise & Worship,the more time I spent with the Lord,I was communing with Him ....the better things got & I made a mindful decision to begin each day with the Lord,putting Him FIRST & believe me,that was truly ONLY the BEGINNING.We don't even realize how many things we put before God just because we live in this world.......................I said "I am going to start by offering God MY firstfruits of each day"my first thought,my first word,my first action...............after all,He gives me my first breath,my first waking moment,His New Mercy,A New Day(& He does not have to)........

I learned that we are so very caught up in life from the moment we wake up in the morning & God is far from First.Alarm goes off,we think about what we have to do,getting ready for work,watching the clock,breakfast,the phone rings & then"oh,let me say my morning prayers" -I was so determined to change that ,it was my diligent prayer ,asking the Lord to help me to place Him above everything else.At first,I was "trying" to not get out of bed until I Praised the Lord,I was acting out of obedience,self discipline to purposely think about God First & say my first words to Him,I was going to ignore everything in the world,no matter what,if I woke up late for work,or if the roof caved in,,,,,,,in time,the Holy Spirit ,my Helper did change everything & I started waking up thinking about God effortlessly......,I then understood what earnestly seeking Him meant......God was now FIRST(in the morning-lol),nothing is more important than offering myself as His living sacrifice from the very moment my eyes open,Jesus made it possible for me to stand in the Presence of God ,to bask in His Glory & I wanted more!!!The more I give of myself,the more I talk with my Father,the more I put Him above all else ....the more Christ increases in me and my flesh is not a hinderance

As Christ increased,I no longer love what is temporal....................God is before me,before my thoughts,before my earthly family,before everything & everyone............suddenly I found that it is possible to pray without ceasing,in the flesh my body can be working & yet my spirit is with God,I watch TV but my spirit is near to God.....................Have I accomplished this?Absolutely not!I only made the decision to surrender to Christs Lordship,to forsake anything & everything(which is "self")to let the Holy Spirit have His Way,receiving this Blessing.......It is Jesus Heart & Mind that keeps the Father First!Can a mother put anyone before her children?Of course not because her heart & mind is flesh.

Putting someone first in your life,like children or a spouse....you would sacrifice your own life for them,you put their needs before your very own,you want nothing more than to make them happy,wanting to please them & you do everything with their best interest in mind,right?Well,we are pleasing & acceptable to God because we are covered by the Precious Blood of His Only Begotten Son and we know what God desires by what Jesus told us ......that if we love Him we will obey His commands,& that we should love one another,if we feed the hungry ,we fed Jesus...if we clothe the naked,we clothed Jesus and so on..............I do my best to KEEP God First & my thought each day is to put a smile on His Face through living for Christ Jesus,my Living Redeemer.

And without faith it is impossible to please God, because anyone who comes to him must believe that he exists and that he rewards those who earnestly seek him.                                                                                                            Hebrews11:6

My very first thought each morning is"I love You Lord,help me to keep a smile on Your Face today" ................Faith without works is dead,I will simply walk by Faith in Jesus and be a doer of the WORD,,,,,,,,,,Giving God All Praise,All Glory,All Honor & All my Thansgiving!There is none greater than our Abba,King of kings,,,,the Great I Am!

With love in Christ,,,Kwik

And honestly,I could write 20 more pages-lol                   God Bless you,Peace be with you

Hisvoiceinme

Hisvoiceinme
  • Members
  • 20 posts

Yes Amen.  I believe when we truly put God first in our lives, our mind will be conformed to His will and His time frame for mankind.  I want to know where I'm at with Him at ALL TIMES.  

Happy is the man that is reverent always..  Proverbs 28:14

PurpleDee

PurpleDee
  • Members
  • 7 posts
I'm glad I didn't log on last night, cuz I was tired and all this would have got me thinking too much to go to sleep! In stead I will reflect and return today throughout the day to try to absorb all this

But I have to ask, Mr Jangles, do you make every one cry? Two posts, too cries, good cries mind you, but really. Lol
And kwik, that is incredibly thoughtful and inspiring, thank you, I'll have to reread that post a few times to glean all the nuggets out of it!

Thx to all, I'll be back
D

Marilyn C

Marilyn C

• Soapbox - Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,097 posts

Hi PurpleDee,

A very important question. And as we have read it is a journey we all travel. Personally I have found that if I look at myself then I can see this & that etc that needs changing. However I have learned that as I look to Jesus. (Now that phase used to get to me, What does that mean!) Anyway as I`ve become more aware & confident in Christ that He is doing the changing then I go about my day doing responsibilities, trusting that He is well able to quicken me if I need to do something, or say a prayer for some one, or just have a breather & give thanks for........(your darling children would bring forth so many heart praises from you I bet) Just develop more confidence in Him, for He is well able & is doing the changes & growth & maturity in your life for your desire, I can hear is for Him.

It`s not about an order as we think. Oh, God first, then this job etc but it is to have your heart`s inclination open to Him. He is the Lord so He will comfort, direct, teach you & encourage you that you are looking after the little ones He has put in your care. Learn how He teaches by looking at how you teach your children -patience, love, correction.....they don`t understand all about you but they love you & are learning. Do you expect them to do their 12 times tables at age 4. No. Well it is the same with our precious Lord, Saviour & teacher, guide & comforter. Step by step. Learn to see what He is teaching you & be encouraged with your growth because we don`t set the agenda of growth He does.

Learn to relax & develop confidence in Him & the way will come clearer. Be Blessed, sister.

Marilyn C

Marilyn C

• Soapbox - Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,097 posts

Hi PurpleDee,

Just felt to open up more of what I was saying about the Lord being first. When I was young I received Jesus as my Saviour but it wasn`t till I was much older that I acknowledged Him as Lord, Master, teacher.....

Sometimes we are too busy in our minds with unrealistic expectations of what we think He desires for us & we become stressed in our spirits. Remember I was talking about looking at how you teach your children & then about God`s teaching. Well I`ve been thinking since then & here is an example.

Throughout the day you desire to teach your children to share - when they have their fruit in the morning, or playing a game, of holding your hands, it`s all different activities but the same lesson. So it is with the Lord. Maybe it is the lesson of `empathy,` with others, learning to listen more & not just mouthing our opinions. So through lots of different activities, relating to different ones we can learn to empathise & hear from the other person`s side. This lesson may be over a period of time, but as we tune in to what God is doing in our lives then we can share the joy of growing & our trust & confidence in Him grows & we realise that He is first because of this growing awareness of His working in our lives.

Enjoy the journey as He helps you to become more aware of what He is doing in your life.

Jean74

Jean74
  • Members
  • 88 posts

Bear in mind that God's will for your life when you surrender it all to Him. As you do what the Lord wants you to do. Knowing that the Lord wants us to do His will and way. When we surrender it all to Him alone. As all things will fall into place when we do. Remember, surrendering it all to the Lord, your heart, soul, and mind. Everything! Putting Him first despite not being easy. But when you do, you will feel grateful and blessed!

chrisscan87

chrisscan87
  • Members
  • 12 posts

Putting God first is the sin we all struggle with the most. It's not in our sinful nature to do so. Keep pressing, sister.

Edit by Omegaman: Sorry if I have this wrong, but I think you mean that
failing to put God first is the sin we struggle with.

Love is alive

Love is alive

Advanced Member

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 410 posts

To me putting God first has to start with getting up a little earlier to read and study the bible, spending time in prayer. Walking with the Lord means you have to surrender your life to him everyday, not just once during the time you are baptized. Praying before making major decisions, praying to ask for guidence when things get tough, praying before meals, and praying at bedtime as well as praying for others.  Not to mention the quick prayers that we say during the day just to thank Him or Praise Him for a particular blessing. When you put God first you have to remember Jesus is your best friend, talk to him like you would talk to your best friend. Proverbs 3:5-6 Trust in the Lord with all your heart and lean not to your own understanding; In all your ways acknowledge Him and He shall direct your paths.

Too many people only call upon God when they need his help because they are in some sort of trouble. We have to remember to acknowledge Him with thanks and praise. Your relationship with the Lord has to come before everything else in your life, including (no cyber rock throwing) your children. We have to trust in Him with all that we have within us. We have to trust him to care for us completely and He is always faithful to be there for us.

As far as the enemy reminding you of your past, remind him of his future. The enemy wants you to get too busy or to put other things first in your life. The enemy wants you as far away from the Lord as he can get you. The farther you are from the Lord, the happier he is.

Once you have made your prayer request known to the Lord, thank him for the particular thing that was asked for in prayer. That shows and builds trust that we know that the Lord has heard us and that we trust he will answer our prayers and believe that he will answer them in your heart.

No one is perfect, you are not a bad mother, christian or person because you make mistakes. The Lord knows we are not perfect, we are all in need of our saviour on a daily basis. We cannot do it alone, if we could God would not have needed to send Christ to die on the cross for us. So give yourself a break. The Lord never promised walking with Him would be easy. You will never be alone though, so long as you have your best friend with you.  :)

kwikphilly

kwikphilly

Royal Member

• Royal Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,420 posts

Blessings PurpleDee,

Welcome again...... to Worthy ,dear Sister.............to be perfectly honest,I myself have to re-ead it a couple of times! I was so wrapped up in the Lord just loving His warm embrace in the morning that I was just happily typing away...LOL      As I just love to spend time with my Abba "FIRST",before anything,some days(my favorite days)First turns into "All day'' .all day in the Presence of the Lord,to bask in His Glory...if only everyday were that way!!!! But just think ........that is "the prize'',I can only imagine what Heaven will be like?

God Bless you,thank you again for your OP........such a delight.....all the Glory to God!

With love-in Christ,Kwik

OneLight

OneLight

Royal Member

• Servant
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 26,885 posts

Since you now have enough posts, I move the thread to Doctrinal Questions.

inchrist

inchrist

Advanced Member

• Soapbox - Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 492 posts

This is one thing I' m not even sure I understand, let alone think I'm capable of doing. I want to, I know that is how it is supposed to be but I've never figured out what that would look like.

Right now, and probably for the past 14 years, I would have to say my children are number one for me.
We attend church every week, are quite involved and connected there. We talk of God during the week, our Sunday school lessons often become the basis for further discussion.

Recently, our pastor spoke about this topic, and invited anyone for further discussion to join him afterward, I did, and he said I seemed like I was doing all the right things. Is it just Christian guilt? That I'll never be good enough (which is true, we don't save ourselves). Is it a mother's guilt? That I'm not doing enough to teach them about God. Is it my own anxiety? Perhaps I am doing fine, but how would I know? As I said to my pastor, I am not about to pull an Abraham to prove how much I love Him. (And we've all heard stories of unfortunate people who have).

Combine my own questioning with a few people in my life who have recently thrown this phrase around like my 6 year old trying to hit the laundry basket with a dirty sock, and I am really wondering what it looks like in this crazy life we live. I can't think of a single family in the same stage of life I am in who can say God is number one. I see it in our seniors at church but out in the race the rest of us run...not so much.

So tell me, what do I do, how would I feel, how do I know that I am putting God above all else?

D

I dont think there is really one set why of how you experience a relationship, everyone is different. 

And I understand I have twins and they are my world, but I had to deal with the fact I may be their earthly father I am in reality only their guardian, their real father is in Heaven. This helped me to draw a closer relationship with God because any decision that I need to make with them I consult God, then my wife then the bible and so on.

And I do that with everything, whatever decision I need to make whether its financials, business, my family, my friends, I first ask God and ask is what I'm doing gloryfying your kingdom...

The only reason why I follow this pattern is do to the nature of the 10 commandments as it deals with relationships, first you'll notice deals with God, then your family and then your neighbours

Also alot of people might put 10 mins to an hour time just with God per day...

I think the point is just make time for God whither its first thing in the morning or the last thing at night you do...as long as you keep the relationship going i think that's what is more important 

coheir

coheir

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,421 posts

This is a confusing matter for me as well. Some of the statements people make are great for some but still others like myself are left puzzled. I may be reading more into it than I should, if so it is because I still do not understand.

I thank the Lord every morning as soon as wake. I thank the Lord if I find a penny on the ground. I thank the Lord if I find a parking space.I thank the Lord for my food, money to buy and knowledge to cook it. I read in the bible quite regular seeking the Lords understanding. If I am having difficulty doing something I ask the Lord for help with it. I speak/talk to him many times a day. And yet I feel myself not quite giving God my all. 

Things that people put forward to help one understand seems to elude my understanding many times.

If someone said to me; ( I pray before I make all decisions ) I would think there is some things he/she does not pray for but he/she thinks I know them so they did not separate them out from "all decisions" for me to see.

If one has a child, does one pray and ask God what clothes the child should wear to school, does one pray before they decide to put that child on bus or drive them to school, does one pray before your child can go next door a play with their friend, does one pray before deciding to eat out or cook in. Does one pray which route to take to work. Does one pray before grocery shopping, whether it be to find the right foods to buy or which store to buy from. To me these are part of the "all decisions" that are not discussed. I know to pray before a purchase of house, car, expensive toys, getting married, having children, going on vacation and how much to allocate money, going to certain places out of the norm, even befriending certain people but

so many things leaves me wondering is this one of the decisions I need to pray to God for or is this one he expects me to use my freewill and what I have already learned in is word to make my own decision.

Sorry for going on so.

AugustMay

AugustMay
  • Members
  • 22 posts

I put god first in everything.  I thank him all the time for the good in my life and I know that he is always there for me in the bad times.

LoveGeneration

LoveGeneration
  • Members
  • 13 posts

I understand your anxiety, putting God before anything or anyone else in your life takes serious dedication and sacrifice, especially if you have a family of your own, as you mentioned. My advice to you is to follow God's commandments and do His work. What are his commandments? See Mark 12:29-30 and John 13:34. What is His work exactly? See Mark 16:15-16. I want to put extra emphasis on doing His work, because a lot of people think it's enough to go to church and read the Bible once in a while, but it isn't. You're supposed to take what you've learned and teach others, that's the only way to save souls. Do not be ashamed of His word but go forth and declare His name to all who are willing to hear. As Apostle Paul beautifully declared, "For I am not ashamed of the gospel of Christ, for it is the power of God to salvation for everyone who believes" (Romans 1:16 NKJV). Be blessed!

Fez

Fez

Royal Member

• Servant
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,727 posts

D

You answered your own question!  :thumbsup:

You are involved in His church as a family, you talk of Him during the week, and you engender discussion!

You answered your own question!

Carry on doing what you are doing, pray that He gives you discernment to do His will, and be patient!

"Patience is not in the waiting, it is in how we wait". You are "waiting" very well!

God Bless.

Worthy Christian Forums - Christian Message Boards - 1999-2014 part of the Worthy Network