christian forums

Worthy Christian Forums - Christian Forums

Welcome to Worthy Christian Forums
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Calling ourselves christians

* * * * * 1 votes

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
16 replies to this topic

DemetriusB

DemetriusB
  • Members
  • 23 posts

HELLO, Do youll think we should go around calling our selves Christians or Should we  let our actions and character dictate if we are Christians or not from another persons view.. In the book of acts the disciples never called there self Christians the enemy actually called them Christians by judging that there character was Christ-like.. I think a lot of people get scared away from the true gospel of Jesus because of people running around calling there self Christians but not letting there character show it..

coffeespiller87

coffeespiller87

Veteran Member

• PipPipPipPip
  • 800 posts

well they do need to show their faith with their actions for sure  but if people ask us what we are we should be honest and tell them we are Christ's saying your a christian is not bad thing especially if asked but we should live so that people don't need to ask that they can tell just from the way we are living. Actions and words should be going together. 

FresnoJoe

FresnoJoe

Royal Member

• Worthy Watchman
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 42,453 posts

Welcome~!

DemetriusB

DemetriusB
  • Members
  • 23 posts

Welcome~!

thanks!  :-)

Jay-with hope

Jay-with hope
  • Members
  • 22 posts

HELLO, Do youll think we should go around calling our selves Christians or Should we  let our actions and character dictate if we are Christians or not from another persons view.. In the book of acts the disciples never called there self Christians the enemy actually called them Christians by judging that there character was Christ-like.. I think a lot of people get scared away from the true gospel of Jesus because of people running around calling there self Christians but not letting there character show it..

I think people should see the Light within you.  It is the Light within that attracts.  I personally do indirect 'recruiting' to bring more people into our Father's family.

LovelyJoni

LovelyJoni
  • Members
  • 58 posts
"And when he had found him he brought him unto Antioch. And it came to pass, that a whole year they assembled themselves with the church, and taught much people. And the disciples were called Christians first in Antioch." Acts 11:26.
That being said for whatever reason we were first called Christians I am very blessed to have that title and the Holy Spirit indwelling me because without the power of Jesus I would not be able to do anything right. I spent 35 years proving that point, I'm just feeling so blessed that come what may Jesus has died for me and will never leave me. I never knew we could have a personal relationship with our Savior!!! I'm still in awe, I pray I'll always be.

Omegaman

Omegaman

• Worthy Chat Servant
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,921 posts

I am not ashamed to be known as a Christian, but it would be a shame to be known as a Christian at the wrong moment, dragging the reputation of Jesus and His church down. What do I mean?

Suppose I had a little fish emblem (ichthus) on the back of my car. At a moment, a car is in my blind spot and I signal a lane change, and begin to move over. The driver of the other car, is not aware that I can not and did not see him, and likely assumes that "that Christian" just carelessly and rudely moved over in front of him. I try to live a life that gives a testimony to those around me. If I pull over to help a stranded motorist, that person might ask: "Why are you being so helpful, this is very kind of you?". That is a good time to let someone know I am a Christian. 

I have no real criticism of any who make it obvious that they call themselves a Christian (as long as they really are one), and I think that since all Christians are called to be evangelists, that hiding the fact of our faith, is not supposed to be the norm. However, I also know that there are those who, if they see that a person is calling attention to the fact that they are a Christian, just see that as a person showboating that 'he thinks he is better than everyone else'.

Probably there is no one way that works best in every circumstance. However, I hope that I will never deny that I am a Christian out of shame or fear.

The term Christian, I believe, was originally a term of derision. A Christian was a person who professed a belief that Jesus was the Messiah:

"That man Crespus, he seems a bit odd"

"Oh yes, he is one of those 'Christians', they are all a bit odd if you ask me. Some of them even believe that the man, Jesus of Nazareth, rose again from the grave, if you can believe that."

I too, am odd, and even believe that Jesus rose again from the grave. Therefore:

16I am not ashamed of the gospel, for it is the power of God for salvation to everyone who believes, to the Jew first and also to the Greek. 17For in it the righteousness of God is revealed from faith to faith; as it is written, “BUT THE RIGHTEOUS man SHALL LIVE BY FAITH.”

OneLight

OneLight

Royal Member

• Servant
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 26,107 posts

We will be known by our fruits, but if asked, I will proclaim Christ.

LadyC

LadyC

Royal Member

• Royal Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,497 posts

i have no problem with people identifying themselves as christians.... provided their actions back up their claim!

DemetriusB

DemetriusB
  • Members
  • 23 posts
Yes it should be our life style not just a title we put on our selves.

Littlelambseativy

Littlelambseativy

Royal Member

• Royal Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,566 posts
Welcome to Worthy!!

OakWood

OakWood

Royal Member

• Royal Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,462 posts

Welcome to Worthy.

kwikphilly

kwikphilly

Royal Member

• Royal Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,624 posts

Blessings Demetrius

Welcome to Worthy.................Praise the Lord! I am proud to proclaim the Name that is above all names,He is my Lord my Savior,my Living Redeemer!I believe the Lord presents us with  many 'ministry moments"throughout each day & many opportunities to spread the Good News,be it by saying simply"I am a Christian"& displaying those good fruits or just in our daily walk & others will know that it is Christ we represent by what they see.Even the 'Joy of the Lord" that shines like a bright light from a kind smile or gesture will provoke someone to say..."what are you so happy about?'

The Holy Spirit leads & guides us how to move,in words ,actions and everything..........Glory to God!

With love-in Christ,Kwik

chrisscan87

chrisscan87
  • Members
  • 12 posts

Christian a relatively new term. I think Christ follower is better, but I say Christian all the time.

*Zion*

*Zion*

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,864 posts

Welcome Demetrius, God bless you:)

I am sure we are allowed to say that we believe and follow Jesus.  We are to proclaim His good news to all!  Hallelujah!!!

crakdpot

crakdpot
  • 3 posts

I think that anyone can call themself "Christian". By their fruits you shall know them. The "Christian" is the one who in actuality follows Christ. One who says he believes and does not do what Christ commanded is a liar, according to scripture. (1st John)

goldenjade

goldenjade
  • Members
  • 5 posts

One does not have to advertise being a christian.  It is our life that speaks the loudest.  If we walk according to the Word of God, it will be evident to the presence of the Holy Spirit in us. Every believer has a portion of the  Holy Spirit; and without it none can be drawn unto him to receive salvation. Yes, it is the holiness that witnesses best. God always makes a way to know the difference between righteousness and unrighteousness, clean and unclean of the inward spirit of a man. It is God who tries the reins and the hearts of men. We are Christ-like in mind, body, and spirit.  Let us always continue to allow the light of God shine upon us as the children of the Most High...the righteousness of Christ.

Your Sister In Christ, 

Eileen 

Edited by goldenjade, 30 May 2014 - 12:06 AM.

Worthy Christian Forums - Christian Message Boards - 1999-2014 part of the Worthy Network