christian forums

Worthy Christian Forums - Christian Forums

Welcome to Worthy Christian Forums
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

segregation

* * * * * 1 votes

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
11 replies to this topic

DemetriusB

DemetriusB
  • Members
  • 23 posts

Why are churches the most segregated places? no one has a problem with going to football games baseball games or concerts with the other race but when it comes to church people automatically split and go back into there comfort zone.. The book of revelation says that heaven is represented by many nations and we all will be singing the same song "worthy is the lamb".. I think that churches should be a representation of the kingdom.. Jesus said if you lift him up he will draw all men to him... so that means not just blacks, whites , Hispanics etc ...  

ayin jade

ayin jade

Royal Member

• Platinum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 34,531 posts

I dont know where you go but at my church we have a mix of many races and ethnic backgrounds.

coffeespiller87

coffeespiller87

Veteran Member

• PipPipPipPip
  • 835 posts

well my church has people old young men women aisians whites spanish  my church is not segregated. This sounds like an assumption. I think people go to the church they are comfortable at that is true but even when visiting other churches I have seen plenty of racial mixes in there

DemetriusB

DemetriusB
  • Members
  • 23 posts

well maybe its my area then but where im from mostly all churches are segregated only a few that have many races attending.

Bethany

Bethany

• Platinum Member
  • PipPip
  • 174 posts

I understand you Demetrius. Around here there are Spanish Churches, African American Churches, White Churches. Very few are mixed.

DemetriusB

DemetriusB
  • Members
  • 23 posts

thanks finally someone understands I thought I was living in another world for a minute

Jay-with hope

Jay-with hope
  • Members
  • 22 posts

I dont know where you go but at my church we have a mix of many races and ethnic backgrounds.

We have a mixture of Nationalities: Nigerian, Canadian, American (Cajun, Creole, Texan), German, and Mexican.  The different accents are awesome.

DemetriusB

DemetriusB
  • Members
  • 23 posts

Thanks everyone for there inputs

LovelyJoni

LovelyJoni
  • Members
  • 58 posts
It's like that around here too, very segregated but I live in the country. The city churches are much more mixed, especially non-denominational. I prefer a mixed church:)

OneLight

OneLight

Royal Member

• Servant
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 26,257 posts

Is segregation part of the cultures history where you live?  If so, that can be expected.   So many are still struggling with following the Lord that the flesh is still part of their lives.  I suggest you find a different church.

LadyC

LadyC

Royal Member

• Royal Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,559 posts

is it actually segregation when it's a CHOICE? i always thought of segregation as being forced separation of ethnicities.

i think a lot of it is cultural. for example, "black" churches are often led with a style of preaching and worship that reflects more of the ethnic culture.... where "white" churches are often more restrained in their form of worship. i think location plays a large part too....  while the catholic church is home to people of all races, there are some areas of town where more hispanics might be likely to attend than other races... and since catholicism is the primary denomination of Mexico, i wouldn't expect to see as many hispanics attending (for example) a baptist church.

in the end, people enjoy being around others that they have things in common with. yes, all christians have Jesus in common, but there's nothing wrong with wanting to fellowship with people who have even MORE in common with you than faith.

where i live, my part of town isn't very culturally diverse, so the church i usually attend is primarily all one race. that's just geographical. but when i lived in vegas, my little church was home to people of every race and every walk of life. i wouldn't say the number of individuals from each race was equally represented, but it adequately represented the demographic diversity of our area.

Littlelambseativy

Littlelambseativy

Royal Member

• Royal Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,600 posts
Welcome to Worthy!!

Worthy Christian Forums - Christian Message Boards - 1999-2014 part of the Worthy Network