christian forums

Worthy Christian Forums - Christian Forums

Welcome to Worthy Christian Forums
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Is gluttony a sin?

* * * * * 1 votes

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
63 replies to this topic

Peteeeer

Peteeeer
  • Members
  • 50 posts

peteeer,

Sheba makes a very valid point!

I will add this to what Sheba said....

All to often overweight people eat very little and have tried every "diet" under the sun with out success,i'm going to explain this to you if you don't mind....

they see food as the enemy,so less food should equal weight loss right?

WRONG!!

By denying themselves food they have shut down their metabolism,the body's natural responce to this is to "Store" this food as fat to stave off the starvation that it perceives is going on.

You can't tell a book by it's cover...EVER!

WE don't know what's going on in any persons life..so to judge is so incrediably UNFAIR!

How can you judge any thing IF You don't have all the fact's PEROID.

GOD and GOD alone know's what happened to cause what you think you are seeing....AND ONLY GOD KNOWS What it's gonna take to help any person in any given situation.

Our job is to LOVE GOD and LOVE PEOPLE.

OUR LORD GAVE US 2 COMMANDS.

peteeer, I'm not yelling at you,I used the caps for emphasis only.

My Brother the only thing that we are to do is love people as GOD LOVES THEM.

~~~MISS~~~

I do love people that are overweight. Of course I do; that is ridiculous to think otherwise.

In reference to the part about people eating less and not losing weight: 

If you eat less than your maintenance calories, you WILL lose weight. If you disagree with that, then you are disagreeing with 1000's of published research papers on the subject.

Actually putting into practice eating less than your maintenance calories, well, that is a different story. 

walla299

walla299

Royal Member

• Platinum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,803 posts

A lot of Christians seem to think that alcohol is inherently evil. However, a lot of Christians apparently (from their appearance) seem to think that gluttony is OK. Is gluttony a sin, or not? If so, then we seem to be treating it like an 'acceptable sin'.

Judging others based on appearance is never a good idea. Making blanket statements is not a good idea either. Others have posted why, so I won't belabor the point.

Gluttony is a sin just like any other. Like, pride, gossip, adultery, etc. those are in the church too, for example, and they are still not okay.

shiloh357

shiloh357

Royal Member

• Royal Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 32,829 posts

A lot of Christians seem to think that alcohol is inherently evil. However, a lot of Christians apparently (from their appearance) seem to think that gluttony is OK. Is gluttony a sin, or not? If so, then we seem to be treating it like an 'acceptable sin'.

It is interesting that people think that drinking alcohol is evil. Yet many people don't eat well or excercise. But not everyone that is overweight or obese is a gultton. Can we agree?

I do see what you mean though. People will harp on alcohol, homosexuality, abortion, etc. but totally overlook gluttony, gossip, pride, etc. They make their church leaders out to be idols or celebrities. Some are patriotic to the point of having church services specifically for national holidays (in the U.S. for example Memorial Day or Independence Day, etc)... Is this where you are coming from Peteeer?

God bless,

GE

Yes finally someone gets my point!

I am NOT talking about those who have some hormonal issues or are on pharmaceuticals. I AM talking about (and it is perfectly reasonable to assume these people exist), those who are PERFECTLY NORMAL and CAN lose weight if they just tried. Also, in relation to those who are skinny, yet eat whatever they want and eat a load of rubbish food, they are also not looking after themselves. 

BOTTOM LINE: I have come across lots of hypocritical, self-righteous, 'do good' Christians, who think that being tee-total makes them so awesome and better than others, however they don't mind being overweight. Far too many Christians are over weight who could be a much healthier weight if they just exercised self control... and exercised. Just looks bad to non-believers when you can't be bothered to look after yourself. 

P.S - PLEASE please please can nobody bring up some irrelevant medical condition again that one may have that causes them to gain weight. That is a different issue.

Hypocrisy is when you condemn in others what you justify in yourself.  An overweight Christian criticizing people for being overweight is hypocrisy.   A Christian who drinks criticizing other Christians who drink is a hypocrite.

A fat Christian speaking out against fornication, smoking, drunkenness, drug use,  is not a hypocrite.  A fat Christian condemning fat people, is a hypocrite.

Peteeeer

Peteeeer
  • Members
  • 50 posts

It is interesting that people think that drinking alcohol is evil. Yet many people don't eat well or excercise. But not everyone that is overweight or obese is a gultton. Can we agree?

I do see what you mean though. People will harp on alcohol, homosexuality, abortion, etc. but totally overlook gluttony, gossip, pride, etc. They make their church leaders out to be idols or celebrities. Some are patriotic to the point of having church services specifically for national holidays (in the U.S. for example Memorial Day or Independence Day, etc)... Is this where you are coming from Peteeer?

God bless,

GE

I am NOT talking about those who have some hormonal issues or are on pharmaceuticals. I AM talking about (and it is perfectly reasonable to assume these people exist), those who are PERFECTLY NORMAL and CAN lose weight if they just tried. Also, in relation to those who are skinny, yet eat whatever they want and eat a load of rubbish food, they are also not looking after themselves. 

BOTTOM LINE: I have come across lots of hypocritical, self-righteous, 'do good' Christians, who think that being tee-total makes them so awesome and better than others, however they don't mind being overweight. Far too many Christians are over weight who could be a much healthier weight if they just exercised self control... and exercised. Just looks bad to non-believers when you can't be bothered to look after yourself. 

P.S - PLEASE please please can nobody bring up some irrelevant medical condition again that one may have that causes them to gain weight. That is a different issue.

Hypocrisy is when you condemn in others what you justify in yourself.  An overweight Christian criticizing people for being overweight is hypocrisy.   A Christian who drinks criticizing other Christians who drink is a hypocrite.

A fat Christian speaking out against fornication, smoking, drunkenness, drug use,  is not a hypocrite.  A fat Christian condemning fat people, is a hypocrite.

The common theme is sin, not the actual sin. If you sin, and tell others not to sin, then you are a hypocrite.

Edited by Peteeeer, 30 May 2014 - 12:57 PM.

ayin jade

ayin jade

Royal Member

• Platinum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 34,764 posts

I only brought it up because in your opening statement you made it clear that you judged all overweight people as gluttons. 

shiloh357

shiloh357

Royal Member

• Royal Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 32,829 posts

God bless,

GE

The common theme is sin, not the actual sin. If you sin, and tell others not to sin, then you are a hypocrite.

So Paul, Peter, the rest of the disciples, all of God's prophets, John the Baptist and every Christian preacher that has ever lived are all hypocrites???

ayin jade

ayin jade

Royal Member

• Platinum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 34,764 posts

God bless,

GE

Then as a sinner yourself, you are a hypocrite for condemning other Christians for the sin of gluttony.

Peteeeer

Peteeeer
  • Members
  • 50 posts

God bless,

GE

Then as a sinner yourself, you are a hypocrite for condemning other Christians for the sin of gluttony.

Whenever a Christian sins, they are being hypocritical. It is kinda weird but we are all hypocrites by telling others to not sin, because we are sinners too.

Edited by Peteeeer, 30 May 2014 - 01:11 PM.

Peteeeer

Peteeeer
  • Members
  • 50 posts

God bless,

GE

So Paul, Peter, the rest of the disciples, all of God's prophets, John the Baptist and every Christian preacher that has ever lived are all hypocrites???

Yes because they are telling people not to sin, when they sin themselves.

shiloh357

shiloh357

Royal Member

• Royal Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 32,829 posts

God bless,

GE

That is complete nonsense.   Hypocrisy  is when you condemn someone for something that you justify for yourself.   You really don't know what you are talking about.   Oh and by the way, since every single one of us has been a hypocrite in our lives at one time or another, in calling others hypocrites, YOU made yourself to be the very kind of hypocrite you condemn.

The Bible is God's inspired Word so by your logic, every time God told Paul to admonish people over their sins, God was causing Paul to be a hypocrite.   Do you see how ridiculous and nonsensical your argument is???  You think God makes people into hypocrites???

ayin jade

ayin jade

Royal Member

• Platinum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 34,764 posts

Whenever a Christian sins, they are being hypocritical. It is kinda weird but we are all hypocrites by telling others to not sin, because we are sinners too.

How do you interpret these verses then?

Galatians 6
1 Brethren, if a man is overtaken in any trespass, you who are spiritual restore such a one in a spirit of gentleness, considering yourself lest you also be tempted.

James 5
19 Brethren, if anyone among you wanders from the truth, and someone turns him back, 20 let him know that he who turns a sinner from the error of his way will save a soul from death and cover a multitude of sins.

ayin jade

ayin jade

Royal Member

• Platinum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 34,764 posts

How do you interpret these verses then?

Galatians 6
1 Brethren, if a man is overtaken in any trespass, you who are spiritual restore such a one in a spirit of gentleness, considering yourself lest you also be tempted.

James 5
19 Brethren, if anyone among you wanders from the truth, and someone turns him back, 20 let him know that he who turns a sinner from the error of his way will save a soul from death and cover a multitude of sins.

And these

1 Timothy 5
20 Those who are sinning rebuke in the presence of all, that the rest also may fear.

2 Timothy 4
2 Preach the word! Be ready in season and out of season. Convince, rebuke, exhort, with all longsuffering and teaching. 

Peteeeer

Peteeeer
  • Members
  • 50 posts

God bless,

GE

That is complete nonsense.   Hypocrisy  is when you condemn someone for something that you justify for yourself.   You really don't know what you are talking about.   Oh and by the way, since every single one of us has been a hypocrite in our lives at one time or another, in calling others hypocrites, YOU made yourself to be the very kind of hypocrite you condemn.

The Bible is God's inspired Word so by your logic, every time God told Paul to admonish people over their sins, God was causing Paul to be a hypocrite.   Do you see how ridiculous and nonsensical your argument is???  You think God makes people into hypocrites???

So if I tell you not to swear, and then I swear at you but I don't justify it, then am I not a hypocrite?

other one

other one

Royal Member

• Royal Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 24,538 posts

two years ago at 6' 2.5" I weighed almost 320 pounds.....   I had tried several diets and lost a little but not much seemed to work for me so I got some college biology books and started learning how the human body works at maintaining itself.

Save you several hours reading what it boils down to is this......    if you eat more calories than you body used for energy and repairing your muscle system it stores those calories in fat cells....   The cells are already there unless yours is all full, and the cells are small and flat until they are needed for storage.

When you need more energy than you eat in calories your body empties the fat cells until there is no more overage.....   then it starts eating both muscle and fat cells to turn them into energy......     So if you are overweight and have body fat it really doesn't make any difference what you eat as long as it's less than you consume.....      A college professor about two and a half ago years lost 60 pounds eating nothing but Twinkies and Doritos for about six months     all less than a thousand calories a day.

An old retired doctor that I have coffee with most mornings told me the same.....  less than a thousand calories a day and the weight comes off quickly to start and after about 25 pounds a little slower.     If you have a lot of loose one must be careful to get the right kinds of things to remain healthy while burning off the fat.  So eating Twinkies for six months is really not a good idea.....   actually it's probably really bad for your long term health.     When you get the excess fat cells emptied out one has to always maintain that balance of intake and output.

One thing I did learn was once the fat cells are empty, if you go on a high protein very low carb diet you can pretty much maintain your muscles and destroy fat cells.   It is much easier to not gain the weight back if you destroy the fat cells.    low carb diets for an extended period of time is very unhealthy.

Long story short for me I lost 65 pounds then fell and split the large bone in my left arm at the wrist about two inches and just layed it open a bit over a quarter of an inch wide.....     My surgeon thought it wise for me to get off the diet for a year until I was completely healed from the break and two surgeries.

When you get right down to it, eating 1000 calories a day is not really difficult to do....   start by fasting for at least a day to let your stomach shrink and give you a head start...

if you check the freezer section of the grocery store you can find all kinds of frozen meals that are about three hundred calories and with a shrunk stomach and eating very slowly, you can do the diet and really not be hungry.  I would recommend taking vitamins along with it to insure you are not missing something important.

A year ago when I stopped the diet I was down to 250...    a year later this morning I was at 259.... so I haven't put much back on for the year I've been off the diet......    Next week I'm going to start it up again and  shoot for the weight I was at when I stopped smoking 27 years ago.  (200).....      One meal a week one needs to just forget about the diet......   mine is Sunday after church with friends......   but not go crazy.

Most of the success or failure is all mental....   but I can tell you that when you start looking at how many calories food has in it, you will change your eating habits.    Cucumbers are a really good snack food......   whole pickles are also if you happen to like pickles....

Starting Monday I won't have another potato chip for probably two years.......   and for most of us that's the problem......  I love potato chips.

So

other one

other one

Royal Member

• Royal Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 24,538 posts

btw I personally don't think being overweight is sinful   maybe if you're 400 pounds.    It's putting food over things spiritual that is sinful.

Those who use the body being the temple may have a point but if it's really that way there are a few million people who live in Los Angeles who must be hell bound for the air quality there is very destructive to most people's respiratory systems.

shiloh357

shiloh357

Royal Member

• Royal Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 32,829 posts

So if I tell you not to swear, and then I swear at you but I don't justify it, then am I not a hypocrite?

If you tell me not to swear and then swear but feel remorse and apologize and repent to the Lord, then no, you are not a hypocrite.  A hypocrite would condemn me for swearing but when he swears, he would claim he had a good reason for it and exonerate himself from any wrongdoing.

Peteeeer

Peteeeer
  • Members
  • 50 posts

btw I personally don't think being overweight is sinful   maybe if you're 400 pounds.    It's putting food over things spiritual that is sinful.

Those who use the body being the temple may have a point but if it's really that way there are a few million people who live in Los Angeles who must be hell bound for the air quality there is very destructive to most people's respiratory systems.

In response to your other comment above as well, body-weight is pretty much a function of calories in/calories out, whatever you eat. There is acronym in the fitness world "IIFYM" which stands for "If it fits your macro-nutrients". Basically, as long as you stick to your macro-nutrient target, then you should get to your goal. This technique does not really discriminate against the food quality so long as the desired conditions mentioned above are being followed.

The air quality is irrelevant because that is something that you cannot control.

Peteeeer

Peteeeer
  • Members
  • 50 posts

If you tell me not to swear and then swear but feel remorse and apologize and repent to the Lord, then no, you are not a hypocrite.  A hypocrite would condemn me for swearing but when he swears, he would claim he had a good reason for it and exonerate himself from any wrongdoing.

So lets get this straight..

If I judge one for being overweight, then I am a hypocrite? Matthew 7:2-5

If I point out in a loving way that someone should probably lose weight because it may be damaging to their health, then I am not a hypocrite? Ephesians 4:15

shiloh357

shiloh357

Royal Member

• Royal Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 32,829 posts

If I point out in a loving way that someone should probably lose weight because it may be damaging to their health, then I am not a hypocrite? Ephesians 4:15

No, if someone judge someone else for being a glutton while he or she is a glutton  and sees nothing to condemn in his or her own gluttony then he or she a hypocrite.

Peteeeer

Peteeeer
  • Members
  • 50 posts

No, if someone judge someone else for being a glutton while he or she is a glutton  and sees nothing to condemn in his or her own gluttony then he or she a hypocrite.

Yes but if I judge someone for their sin, then I am a hypocrite. If I merely point it out, then I don't think I am a hypocrite.

Worthy Christian Forums - Christian Message Boards - 1999-2014 part of the Worthy Network