christian forums

Worthy Christian Forums - Christian Forums

Welcome to Worthy Christian Forums
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Death Row

* * * * * 1 votes What does God say about it

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
34 replies to this topic

tigger398

tigger398

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,707 posts

Ok I was watching the green mile. It's one of my favorite movie's. I want to know what Does God think of the death penalty. Is he all for it. I remember a verse that God told someone, I think it was Moses, to take someone out of camp, and stone him for picking up sticks. So it seems like God is all for it. I'm also confused cause that would be like God breaking his own rule.

other one

other one

Royal Member

• Royal Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,661 posts

The old testament definitely supported the death penalty.....   but it was not God breaking his own rule for he did not really say "Tho shalt not kill"   he said, "Tho shalt not commit murder.....   and there is a difference.

As for what would Jesus do, I don't know of any place he said one way or the other.....   I'm not sure he would be agreeable in killing someone who was not saved and end any chance of repenting and not going to hell.....

I'll ask him when he gets back......   but when he returns it seems that he's not really opposed to it considering what he has in mind to do.....  my only problem is that can we be sure in all instances that we are killing the right person.....   I personally have  serious problems with today's justice system.

Jesusfo11ower

Jesusfo11ower
  • Members
  • 7 posts

He without sin cast the first stone. Jesus was against the death penalty.

Butero

Butero

Royal Member

• Royal Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,658 posts

The Bible states that when someone commits murder, the land is defiled, and the only way to cleanse the land is by executing the murderer.  God instituted the death penalty, so I am convinced that Jesus would support the death penalty.  God is the same yesterday, today and forever. 

"The Green Mile" is an interesting movie.  I thought it was ok, but it is a propaganda film to make people oppose the death penalty.  I would be for simplifying it and making it as humane as possible.  I have heard Utah is considering a return to the firing squad.  That is something I have been supporting for years.  That brings about a quick death, rather than having it drag on with lethal injection, the electric chair and the gas chamber.  It would also be cheaper. 

Parker1

Parker1

Royal Member

• Royal Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,087 posts

"I and the Father are One." Care to explain how Jesus could be against the death penalty while GOD commanded it?

LadyC

LadyC

Royal Member

• Royal Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,481 posts

God was for the death penalty but Jesus was against it? oh my goodness. that's flawed thinking. God and Jesus are always in unison.

God instituted the death penalty. Jesus did not abolish that law. and God gives the authority to all governments... including those that use the death penalty. God put them in place. 

It's really not our place to question the death penalty. It isn't going to inhibit Him from doing whatever His will is in the life of the convicted. He is mighty to save, and if the person on death row has a heart that is ever going to be open to Jesus, then an expiration date isn't going to pose a problem for our Lord.

other one

other one

Royal Member

• Royal Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,661 posts

"I and the Father are One." Care to explain how Jesus could be against the death penalty while GOD commanded it?

the Father is not the old testament entity Moses knew as God....   Jesus was that himself as John tells us that he was in the form of God before he became flesh.     Moses Aaron and 72 other people saw God in the book of Exodus but Jesus tells us that no one has seen the Father.  

We also need to keep in mind that we are not under the old covenant so we should not refer to those laws in our world today.   We are under the new covenant which we are told is better.....   we are also told that what Jesus wants is mercy in this time.

Butero

Butero

Royal Member

• Royal Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,658 posts

Jesus said he didn't come to do away with the law, but to fulfill it.  I do still look at the Old Testament to decide what is right and wrong.  The only reason we know that it is wrong for a man to marry his sister or his aunt is by the Old Testament that forbids incest.  The New Testament only addresses it in light of fornication, not marriage.  If God gave the death penalty in the OT, I believe he is still OK with it today, and if murder defiled the land then, it still does today. 

• PipPip
  • 221 posts

In the OT it is under the law. It was a looking unto. The atonement had not yet been applied. Therefore eye for eye was just. Once the atonment has been applied 'by grace we receive' so no one is justified in pointing fingers and certainly as Christian we do not have a right to take someones life.

Edited by 2404, 30 May 2014 - 06:42 PM.

Butero

Butero

Royal Member

• Royal Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,658 posts

We don't take a life as an individual.  We have laws in place that determine the punishment for certain crimes.  In the worst cases, it has been determined that death is an appropriate punishment.  If the land was defiled in the past by a murder, it still is.  If the only method of cleansing the land was to put to death the murderer, it still is.  I am 100 percent in favor of capital punishment for murderers, and I would even expand the death penalty to some other crimes, like rape of a child under the age of 14.  I would also be ok with executing violent criminals that may not succeed in killing someone, but not for lack of trying.  The only thing I have softened my position on is with regard to how we execute violent criminals.  At one time, I would have supported a creative method of execution that made the punishment fit the crime.  That is an eye for an eye.  Now I would prefer a humane and painless method of execution.

AugustMay

AugustMay
  • Members
  • 22 posts

It is wrong but my feeling is an eye for an eye a tooth for a tooth.

Parker1

Parker1

Royal Member

• Royal Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,087 posts

GOD is not wrong! You may feel it is wrong, but you are not GOD.

The Bible can never contradict itself, otherwise it is a lie.

GOD places great value on human life, that is why he mandated the death penalty, eye for an eye, and tooth for a tooth; and why it is still appropriate. If GODs laws were still obeyed, then we wouldn't have all the violence and murder that we have today.

other one

other one

Royal Member

• Royal Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,661 posts

if you execute a person who has not repented and turned his life over to the Lord, you condemn him/her to hell for eternity...    if they have repented and turned their lives over to the Lord, there is no real reason to kill them for in truth you are killing a brother or sister.

There is reason to separate them from society, but killing them isn't really doing any of us any good.

There are ways of making them productive in some way to pay for their upkeep, so they don't have to be a burden on the rest of us....   would just take some thought and changing a few laws.

Fez

Fez

Royal Member

• Servant
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,303 posts

Best way to answer the conundrum would be to abolish the death penalty. 

LadyC

LadyC

Royal Member

• Royal Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,481 posts

if you execute a person who has not repented and turned his life over to the Lord, you condemn him/her to hell for eternity...    if they have repented and turned their lives over to the Lord, there is no real reason to kill them for in truth you are killing a brother or sister.

There is reason to separate them from society, but killing them isn't really doing any of us any good.

There are ways of making them productive in some way to pay for their upkeep, so they don't have to be a burden on the rest of us....   would just take some thought and changing a few laws.

that's not true. God knows the time and place of each person's death. no matter who or what causes the death, they all have the opportunity to know the Lord. God is not limited by human time tables. if someone is sentenced to the death penalty, God will bring that person to repentence before execution if that person's heart is not hardened beyond redemption.

in the OT, when God commanded death for certain offenses, the penalty was to be carried out immediately. they weren't given the luxury of spending 20 years in a cell before their death. 

other one

other one

Royal Member

• Royal Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,661 posts

that's not true. God knows the time and place of each person's death. no matter who or what causes the death, they all have the opportunity to know the Lord. God is not limited by human time tables. if someone is sentenced to the death penalty, God will bring that person to repentence before execution if that person's heart is not hardened beyond redemption.

in the OT, when God commanded death for certain offenses, the penalty was to be carried out immediately. they weren't given the luxury of spending 20 years in a cell before their death. 

maybe, but three witnesses had to swear someone was guilty to do so.......      not the case today.....    I have had close people falsely convicted for things they didn't do.....   17 years it cost him, and three weeks after he finished his time the Oklahoma County Sheriff's office miraculously found the package with all the evidence against him that we had been asking for for 12 years......   sure enough genetics proved he was innocent.

I don't trust our system at all.     My Sunday school teacher is a 72 year old practicing attorney and he tells us that we should not even trust our police....    most cities have several cops that carry some kind of drug stuff in their cars that they can plant in yours if they think you've done something but can't prove it....  he has to deal with things of that nature off and on all the time...

Never ever under any circumstances agree for anyone to search you or any part of your property without a court order....   depending on which state you live in there are different ways that has to be done to protect you from things like that.

So having our system kill anyone is not good to me....  no matter what.

Butero

Butero

Royal Member

• Royal Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,658 posts

When someone commits murder, the land itself is defiled, and the Bible says the only method of cleansing the land is the execution of the killer.  I will continue to support the death penalty on those grounds.  Even if you could lock the killer up for life and make sure he or she never gets loose, it wouldn't cleanse the defiled land. 

LadyC

LadyC

Royal Member

• Royal Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,481 posts

i understand some are wrongly convicted. i've expressed the unpopular view before that i still believe in darlie routier's innocense. however, that doesn't change the fact that God's salvational grace is not inhibited by death row :)

Jesusfo11ower

Jesusfo11ower
  • Members
  • 7 posts

Why would Jesus tell them not to kill Mary Magdelene and not say the same for everyone else who has committed a sin punishable by death in the old testament? Jesus abolished the death penalty and there is no denying that. To say someone deserves to die for a sin just as heinous as the ones we commit every day (no sin is worse than another besides blasphemy of the holy spirit) is just not right,

Butero

Butero

Royal Member

• Royal Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,658 posts

Why would Jesus tell them not to kill Mary Magdelene and not say the same for everyone else who has committed a sin punishable by death in the old testament? Jesus abolished the death penalty and there is no denying that. To say someone deserves to die for a sin just as heinous as the ones we commit every day (no sin is worse than another besides blasphemy of the holy spirit) is just not right,

Mary Magdelene didn't commit murder.  You can make a case against the death penalty for other crimes besides murder, but not in the case of murder.  That is one crime that defiles the land.  No, Jesus did not abolish the death penalty.  I deny that.  In the instance of the woman caught in the act of adultery (again, not murder), he simply told the people that he that is without sin should cast the first stone.  He never said they couldn't execute her.  The religious crowd was trying to accuse Jesus.  If he said to put her to death, and cast sentence on her, he would have to answer to the Roman government.  If he said not to kill her, he would be going against the law of Moses, which they were fully under. 

I also disagree with you that one sin is as bad as another.  If that was the case, all would have the same punishment in the law of Moses.  Nobody is going to convince me that telling a white lie is equal to capital murder.  Nobody will convince me that saying a swear word is the equal of acts of sodomy.  While all sins defile us, and all sins will keep us out of heaven, all sins are not equal.  I don't even believe they will be punished the same in hell.  I believe that each person who is unsaved will have their place in the lake of fire, and suffer different degrees of torment.  The Bible speaks of sins unto death and sins not unto death.  It speaks of presumptuous sins and sins done in error.  It speaks of willful sins and sins that were not done intentionally.  All sins are not equal, so I disagree with you that Jesus did away with capital punishment and I disagree with you that all sins are equal. 

Worthy Christian Forums - Christian Message Boards - 1999-2014 part of the Worthy Network