christian forums

Worthy Christian Forums - Christian Forums

Welcome to Worthy Christian Forums
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Chiastic Structure

* * * * * 1 votes

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
5 replies to this topic

Bethany

Bethany

• Platinum Member
  • PipPip
  • 161 posts

So--I'm studied 1 Samuel and many times the chiastic structure was mentioned. I understand what a chiastic structure is A, B, C, C', B', A'...etc, but what is the purpose of it? I'm sure this structure isn't used so many times in the Bible for no reason...

Omegaman

Omegaman

• Worthy Chat Servant
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,921 posts

Wow, I have no idea what you are talking about, I just usually look at the words and what they say! (Never to ashamed to admit when I am ignorant)

Bethany

Bethany

• Platinum Member
  • PipPip
  • 161 posts

It's a literary structure. So like the story of Hannah (this is copied from Constable's Commentary):

Notice the chiastic (crossing) structure of chapter 2 that focuses on Eli's blessing of Samuel's parents.

"A. The song of Hannah, concluding with reference to the Lord's anointed (2:1-10)

B. Samuel ministers before the Lord (2:11) C. The sins of Eli's sons (2:12-17)

D. Samuel ministers before the Lord (2:18-19) E. Eli blesses Samuel's parents (2:20-

21a)
D.' Samuel grows in the Lord's presence (2:21b)

C.' The sins of Eli's sons (2:22-25)
B.' Samuel grows in the Lords' presence (2:26)

A.' The oracles of the man of God, concluding with reference to the Lord's anointed (2:27-36)"48 

Bethany

Bethany

• Platinum Member
  • PipPip
  • 161 posts

The reason I'm asking is because the chiastic structure was noted a lot in 1 samuel...and now I'm studying Mark and it's coming up again with Jesus' teachings....and i was just curious about the purpose/meaning behind it--if there is one. Lol

shiloh357

shiloh357

Royal Member

• Royal Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 32,487 posts

The reason I'm asking is because the chiastic structure was noted a lot in 1 samuel...and now I'm studying Mark and it's coming up again with Jesus' teachings....and i was just curious about the purpose/meaning behind it--if there is one. Lol

IN ancient near east.  The use of chiastic structure was used for the purpose of emphasis.  it is repetitive and that helps to add emphasis to certain parts.  It is a really interesting way to read biblical narratives.

other one

other one

Royal Member

• Royal Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,812 posts

Bethany as I understand it, the Hebrews and Greeks didn't have bold, underlining and smiley faces to put emphasis on the points that they were trying to get across to us......   so this is the way that they show emphasis on what is important.....   Today if it's important we can bold it, and if it's really important we can increase the font size or color.

It's just a good way to get extra meaning about a point or subject without the helps of modern writing.   It's like God is saying,  "Hey pay attention, this is important."

Worthy Christian Forums - Christian Message Boards - 1999-2014 part of the Worthy Network