christian forums

Worthy Christian Forums - Christian Forums

Welcome to Worthy Christian Forums
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Can I value what you have to say...

* * * * * 1 votes

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
21 replies to this topic

GoldenEagle

GoldenEagle

Royal Member

• Royal Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,460 posts
"Can I value what you have to say even if it isn't something I agree with or understand? If not, then I will begin a process of judgements and punishments that send messages of invalidation. Many of us don't realize that we create a world where everyone has to look and sound like us or we have no value for them. Before I know it I've surrounded myself with myself in order to get along with others." - Danny Lee Silk

What do you think?

gamnot

gamnot

• PipPip
  • 111 posts

I would think about this using metaphorically a target and the bulls-eye on the target. What I value represents the bulls-eye on the target. The sayings and principles that I would respect in others that differ from my values represent all the area of the target itself, but I simply cannot agree with everyone; for example those who are strongly narcissistic and egotistical. Those who miss the target altogether are people who I could not respect, although I would decline to be overly judgmental toward them.

Omegaman

Omegaman

• Worthy Chat Servant
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,933 posts

I would hate to be surrounded by clones of myself, where is the entertainment value in that? How could I ever learn anything in a conversation?

My favorite conversations here, are with people I disagree with, I just hope I have the class to disagree, agreeably, so as not to offend.

OneLight

OneLight

Royal Member

• Servant
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 26,621 posts

Variety is what makes life bearable.  Everyone being different, one has to value what they say, be it a negative value or a positive one.

Chris.

Chris.
  • Members
  • 98 posts
This is about 3 things ego, pride and God with regard to valuing others opinions.

Ego or self says "its all about me and my experiences". Pride says I am important and I am right and know better than you!

God says You owe me one, you were bought at a price, be humble and not too proud or self centred as all you did was accept a free gift I gave you and your no better than anyone else I created and love too.

Edited by Chris., 03 June 2014 - 02:22 AM.

fire-heart

fire-heart

Advanced Member

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 420 posts

Words of wisdom are often rejected or ignored until one matures and sees those words of wisdom as pure gold and lives by those words. Not agreeing with something someone said doesnt mean it wont be of value

Chris.

Chris.
  • Members
  • 98 posts

Words of wisdom are often rejected or ignored until one matures and sees those words of wisdom as pure gold and lives by those words. Not agreeing with something someone said doesnt mean it wont be of value

Exactly right.everyone has the ability to teach you something.

shiloh357

shiloh357

Royal Member

• Royal Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 32,815 posts

The Bible puts a very high premium on surrounding yourself with people who are live in godly wisdom.   I can't value the words of a fool. I can and should value the words of those live their lives to the glory of God.

Not every one has something valuable to offer you.  We are supposed to be discerning.

fire-heart

fire-heart

Advanced Member

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 420 posts

The Bible puts a very high premium on surrounding yourself with people who are live in godly wisdom.   I can't value the words of a fool. I can and should value the words of those live their lives to the glory of God.

Not every one has something valuable to offer you.  We are supposed to be discerning.

Discerning yes, but to call an unsaved person a fool is not very loving. Jesus may have used the word fool but he had the authority to do so, we are no better than unsaved person in fact we should put ourselves lower than them and put God first them second and us last.

Think of this you dont know why your car wont start and you have tried over and over then an athiest walks by  who you say is a fool and tries to help. he sees what was wrong and teaches you how to fix it and how to make it not happen  again.

now would you not take what he teaches you to heart?

Willamina

Willamina

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,202 posts

You sure made me stop and think about my posts.  I hope I haven't been doing that.  But we don't attack each other here when we disagree.  We do try to reason together.  Sometimes we come to a better understanding of each other and sometimes we agree to disagree.  I think it is love that makes the difference.  I truly love and respect most people even when I disagree with them.  

FresnoJoe

FresnoJoe

Royal Member

• Worthy Watchman
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 43,014 posts

"Jesus may have used the word fool but he had the authority to do so"

So Jesus calls a Atheist a fool, because he just helped someone with their car. 

:thumbsup:

Jesus Calls

I Jesus have sent mine angel to testify unto you these things in the churches. I am the root and the offspring of David, and the bright and morning star.

And the Spirit and the bride say, Come. And let him that heareth say, Come. And let him that is athirst come. And whosoever will, let him take the water of life freely. Revelation 22:16-17

And The Holy Spirit

For the prophecy came not in old time by the will of man:

but holy men of God spake as they were moved by the Holy Ghost. 2 Peter 1:21

Testifies

The fool hath said in his heart, There is no God.

They are corrupt, they have done abominable works, there is none that doeth good. Psalms 14:1

~

So What To Do Beloved

For whosoever shall call upon the name of the Lord shall be saved. Romans 10:13

What To

For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life. John 3:16

Do

Verily, verily, I say unto you, He that believeth on me hath everlasting life. John 6:47

gamnot

gamnot

• PipPip
  • 111 posts

Some of you who are more of Bible scholars can correct me if I am wrong with this, but isn't it true that when Jesus used the term fool that he was speaking in general terms and that his remarks where not directed specifically at individual/persons. I am sure that that would make a difference.

FresnoJoe

FresnoJoe

Royal Member

• Worthy Watchman
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 43,014 posts
"Can I value what you have to say even if it isn't something I agree with or understand? If not, then I will begin a process of judgements and punishments that send messages of invalidation. Many of us don't realize that we create a world where everyone has to look and sound like us or we have no value for them. Before I know it I've surrounded myself with myself in order to get along with others." - Danny Lee Silk

What do you think?

~

Who Am I

So likewise ye, when ye shall have done all those things which are commanded you, say, We are unprofitable servants: we have done that which was our duty to do. Luke 17:10

To Judge

And she said, Truth, Lord: yet the dogs eat of the crumbs which fall from their masters' table. Matthew 15:27

fire-heart

fire-heart

Advanced Member

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 420 posts

What do you think?

~

Who Am I

So likewise ye, when ye shall have done all those things which are commanded you, say, We are unprofitable servants: we have done that which was our duty to do. Luke 17:10

To Judge

And she said, Truth, Lord: yet the dogs eat of the crumbs which fall from their masters' table. Matthew 15:27

Fresno you always have the perfect thing to say:]

FresnoJoe

FresnoJoe

Royal Member

• Worthy Watchman
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 43,014 posts

Some of you who are more of Bible scholars can correct me if I am wrong with this, but isn't it true that when Jesus used the term fool that he was speaking in general terms and that his remarks where not directed specifically at individual/persons. I am sure that that would make a difference.

~

John

Then said he to the multitude that came forth to be baptized of him, O generation of vipers, who hath warned you to flee from the wrath to come? Luke 3:7

God

But God said unto him, Thou fool, this night thy soul shall be required of thee: then whose shall those things be, which thou hast provided? Luke 12:20

Jesus

Then he said unto them, O fools, and slow of heart to believe all that the prophets have spoken:

Ought not Christ to have suffered these things, and to enter into his glory?

And beginning at Moses and all the prophets, he expounded unto them in all the scriptures the things concerning himself. Luke 24:25-27

Paul

Let no man deceive himself. If any man among you seemeth to be wise in this world, let him become a fool, that he may be wise. For the wisdom of this world is foolishness with God. For it is written, He taketh the wise in their own craftiness. 1 Corinthians 3:18-19

God With His Kids Are All Calling Out, Run Sinner, Run

Come unto me, all ye that labour and are heavy laden, and I will give you rest. Matthew 11:28

Butero

Butero

Royal Member

• Royal Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,833 posts

I have learned a lot from people I didn't always agree with.  When I first joined WB, it was about just pushing my view, but over time, I saw the value in trying to understand where others are coming from.  Even if I didn't change my opinion, I still learned things, because I came to see why they believed as they did.  I think that there is an overall better spirit here where people will at least take the time to consider other's beliefs, and not be so ready to try to destroy and run people off they don't agree with.  It has been nice.

One other thing I have come to realize is that I can strongly disagree with someone in one area, and still agree with them in other places.  Sometimes there is this natural bias created where we think that if we have strong contention with someone, we have to be on the opposite side every time they post something, and that is not always the case.  It is easy to think we have to dislike people that hold other views, but often times, they are good people once you get to know them.  First impressions aren't always accurate.

ayin jade

ayin jade

Royal Member

• Platinum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 34,754 posts

To the recurring troll:

I am praying for you.

Chris.

Chris.
  • Members
  • 98 posts

He probably had a mental picture of me.

shiloh357

shiloh357

Royal Member

• Royal Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 32,815 posts

Discerning yes, but to call an unsaved person a fool is not very loving. Jesus may have used the word fool but he had the authority to do so, we are no better than unsaved person in fact we should put ourselves lower than them and put God first them second and us last.

Think of this you dont know why your car wont start and you have tried over and over then an athiest walks by  who you say is a fool and tries to help. he sees what was wrong and teaches you how to fix it and how to make it not happen  again.

now would you not take what he teaches you to heart?

I am not calling unsaved people fools.

Butero

Butero

Royal Member

• Royal Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,833 posts

I think we are getting off topic, but when the Bible says not to call your brother a fool, I believe it is speaking of fellow Christians, not everyone in the world.  The Bible states that the fool hath said in his heart there is no God.  That is a blanket statement concerning all atheists.  I missed the troll this time, so I don't know exactly what they had to say.  I don't know if the person was simply unsaved or an atheist, but if that person was an atheist, the Bible calls them a fool.  If God himself in his Word calls an atheist a fool, I can find no fault in Shiloh referring to such a person as a fool. 

Worthy Christian Forums - Christian Message Boards - 1999-2014 part of the Worthy Network