christian forums

Worthy Christian Forums - Christian Forums

Welcome to Worthy Christian Forums
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

revelations

* * * * * 1 votes reveal

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
54 replies to this topic

anup007100

anup007100
  • Members
  • 8 posts
Yesterday I started reading revelations of John but couldnt understand

Omegaman

Omegaman

• Worthy Chat Servant
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,909 posts

Don't feel too bad, it just might be the most difficult book in the Bible. It is primarily prophecy, with a lot of symbolism. Much of the symbolism, is understood from having a good working knowledge of the rest of the bible, and history as well. Even then, scholars have spent lifetimes studying the book of Revelation, and have much disagreement.

BeauJangles

BeauJangles

• PipPip
  • 185 posts

Welcome to Worthy, anup! Omegaman is absolutely right about the book of Revelations. It is likely the most difficult book in the Word of God to understand. And the most disputed among the best of scholars. If you haven't read through the Bible, it might be a good idea to read Revelations last. And ask the Lord to give you understanding whenever you read the Word of God. May you be blessed with godly guidance in your studies.

God bless you,

David/BeauJangles 

other one

other one

Royal Member

• Royal Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,559 posts

Hi Anup.  Welcome to Worthy.

The book of Revelation is very complex.    A good overall understanding of the Bible and world history helps.   I've been reading it or listening to it over and over for many many years......   and I still have questions about the things is shows.      So don't think you are by yourself about it's mysteries.    There are a few people here who have spent a lot more time working with it than I.....   unfortunately sometimes they don't agree with each other.  If you have specific questions just put them up i a thread and we can all hash it out together.  It's worked for me for many years.

Anyway, it's nice to meet someone from India. I'm sure there are a lot of interesting things to learn from you....   so Welcome.....

btw, I notice that you are into photography....   be sure and look through the hobbies forum and share photo experiences with us.

kwikphilly

kwikphilly

Royal Member

• Royal Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,605 posts

Blessings anup....

Welcome to Worthy......Praise the Lord! Omega & Beau are right,the Book of Revelation is certainly a difficult read & there are a few different ways to approach it.Firstly,as you know ,it was written by the Apostle John.It was written in the last decade of the 1st CenturyA.D. & portrays a vbision John had while in exile on the Island Patmos.The images portrayed remind us of the most visionary OT Prophets.This Book confirms the fact that God is in complete charge of history..Although Gods Sovereignty is challenged,evil will be judged & those that are Saved will be rewarded in the end.

There are 5 different approaches.how it is interpreted depends on your view

1-Peterist-Description of existing condihtions existing when John wrote it.Christians were bgeing persecuted under Emporer Domitian.John uses symbolism to disguise what is a polemic against the Roman Empire to encourage Christions

2-Historicist-Preview of the Christian era.Trumpets,seals,bowls of judgment are different periods of history.The Reformers attempted to identify the events in Chapters 4-16 with a chronology of the Western Church from the 1st to the 18th centuries.Modern historicists see it as a non-chronological panorama of history.Seven paralell visions portray the age between Christ 1st & 2nd coming.(eg:Christians of Reformed backgrounds like Southern Baptists)

3-Idealist-No relation to history...using symbols familiar to 1st Century readers to portray the timeless conflict between good & evil

4-Futurist-Rev 4-16 is a portrait of future events that will take place at history's end.The events described are the same as you find in the OT & Mt24 descriptions of the great tribulation that will take place prior to the establishment of Gods Kingdom

5-Apocolyptic-Rev was composed following the established traditions of Jewish apocalyptic writings(about 100 exist) characterized bhy complex symbolism & cryptic language

Whatever approach you take,Revelation is a powerful affirmation of the ultimate triumph of God Almighty,Halleluliah!I hope this helps you to be encouraged to take a look at this Book from all the different views & ask the Lord to help you,the Holy Spirit will give you Wisdom &Understanding as only He can.It is a good idea to have a good understanding of the rest of Gods Word(OT & NT) before diving in....God Bless you

With love-in Christ,Kwik

moses

moses
  • Members
  • 33 posts
Anup please can you tell me where in the book of john you do not understand?

Littlelambseativy

Littlelambseativy

Royal Member

• Royal Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,540 posts
Welcome to Worthy! Before you read Revelation pray that God will open your understanding and do ask Questions.

kwikphilly

kwikphilly

Royal Member

• Royal Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,605 posts

Blessings Moses....

Welcome to Worthy................I could not understand why you kept saying"Amen" & then I realized you wanted to get your 5 posts,that is pretty funny!LOL

Praise the Lord,hope you enjoy Worthy as muCH AS I do!

With love in Christ,Kwik

anup007100

anup007100
  • Members
  • 8 posts
Moses it's not in the book of John,,, revelation.....

Randy Thompson

Randy Thompson
  • Members
  • 6 posts

It takes time, you will get it. Many prayers

Randy Thompson

Randy Thompson
  • Members
  • 6 posts

I have found that if you read little short pieces, then try to understand the short pieces, and THEN put them all together and you have a great thing. Many Prayers

Willamina

Willamina

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,928 posts

It is much like the book of Daniel, full of symbolism, and it speaks of end times things.  

The first 3 chapters speak of the churches that were in existence when John wrote the book, but they are also a picture of the development of the church over history or even most denominations over time.  They stand as a warning to not allow those things to occur today.  Then it opens up seeing the throne room in heaven.  The Jewish temple and worship are a picture of heaven.  There are lamp stands  for the churches.

God sitting on the mercy seat, bowls are for washing,  the sacrificial Lamb of God, the Christ, the scrolls, Cherubs are dreadful angel like living creatures with wings that surround God's throne.  Isaiah speaks of them.  Seals are spoken of in the book of Daniel when he was told at the end to seal up the books till the last days.  Trumpets sounded the call to worship in the Jewish temple and were also used in the service for worship in the psalms.  The plagues are the similar to the  plagues of Moses: locusts, sea turned to blood approximately like that were unleashed on Egypt when Moses delivered the Israelites from that nation; it speaks of God's deliverance of His people once again and that the antichirst and satan are like pharaoh...  We are even told that in heaven they sang the song of Moses.

So these things will be more meaningful to the Jews after they rebuild the temple and resume worship there.  They will once again be persecuted which is why 144,000 Jews will be sealed by God with the Holy Spirit, just as He seals us.  At that point in chapter 7 the church may be extracted because there is no more mention of those who are clothed in white, washed in the blood of Christ till He returns at the end with His Bride in chapter 19:14. We are told in other places that we are not intended for wrath, and it is after this in chapter that God's judgements on the earth start  and that the wrath of God is poured out.

But an understanding of the temple worship from the old testament would be helpful.  

Don't think that helps a lot--I don't understand it well either.  But welcome.  

Willa

whitetiger

whitetiger
  • Members
  • 48 posts

A lot of people have a hard time understanding the book. The big problem is they assume it's for now, it's not. Revelations to the 1st Century Christians whom had the code needed to understand it, we in the modern era lost that a long time ago so it seems hard to grasp.

• PipPip
  • 221 posts

A lot of people have a hard time understanding the book. The big problem is they assume it's for now, it's not. Revelations to the 1st Century Christians whom had the code needed to understand it, we in the modern era lost that a long time ago so it seems hard to grasp.

How can you say it is not for today? If we are in the last days then this is the time that we do need it, a mystery would serve no purpose.

If the bride is coming to herself and realizing who she is - it will take the Word.

Edited by 2404, 06 June 2014 - 05:37 AM.

whitetiger

whitetiger
  • Members
  • 48 posts

How can you say it is not for today? If we are in the last days then this is the time that we do need it, a mystery would serve no purpose.

If the bride is coming to herself and realizing who she is - it will take the Word.

Is it possible that the seals have been opened?

We know that God is the same yesterday today and forever. The first time He came and was embodied in flesh only a few recognized who He was. Could history repeat itself?

Easily, context. None of Scripture was written to us but for us. In Revelation we can see what the early Church was going through and that God is always the victor.

OakWood

OakWood

Royal Member

• Royal Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,360 posts

Welcome to Worthy.

shiloh357

shiloh357

Royal Member

• Royal Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 32,395 posts

We know that God is the same yesterday today and forever. The first time He came and was embodied in flesh only a few recognized who He was. Could history repeat itself?

Easily, context. None of Scripture was written to us but for us. In Revelation we can see what the early Church was going through and that God is always the victor.

The book of revelation does reveal what the early church was suffering and we can see that in the letters to the seven churches.  Two of them were heavily persecuted.   But the book of Revelation is also for a time future to us, now.  It is about the final judgments that are coming on the earth in the last days and Christ's final victory over sin  and Satan and the establishment of His kingdom on earth.

whitetiger

whitetiger
  • Members
  • 48 posts

The book of revelation does reveal what the early church was suffering and we can see that in the letters to the seven churches.  Two of them were heavily persecuted.   But the book of Revelation is also for a time future to us, now.  It is about the final judgments that are coming on the earth in the last days and Christ's final victory over sin  and Satan and the establishment of His kingdom on earth.

I disagree, the whole book was for the 1st Century Christians non of it was to us or about any future such ideas came from the 1800's

shiloh357

shiloh357

Royal Member

• Royal Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 32,395 posts

I disagree, the whole book was for the 1st Century Christians non of it was to us or about any future such ideas came from the 1800's

No, the return of Jesus to the earth has not happened, and we are not living in the New Heavens and New Earth yet.  So there is much that is still future.  Jesus will return bodily.

whitetiger

whitetiger
  • Members
  • 48 posts

No, the return of Jesus to the earth has not happened, and we are not living in the New Heavens and New Earth yet.  So there is much that is still future.  Jesus will return bodily.

Nor did I say that, I believe that the Lord will return as in Acts 1 but do not force on me a belief I do not share as I said I do not believe Rev is future but all in the past, nor was it prophetic in the sense of telling the future

Edited by whitetiger, 06 June 2014 - 07:55 PM.

Worthy Christian Forums - Christian Message Boards - 1999-2014 part of the Worthy Network