christian forums

Worthy Christian Forums - Christian Forums

Welcome to Worthy Christian Forums
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

How do you picture God in your mind when you pray?

* * * * * 1 votes

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
18 replies to this topic

Hall7

Hall7

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,455 posts

Do you picture a person, a bright light or? In my case, for some reason it seems like I get two different pictures in my mind when I pray, I see God just as the word "God" but see Jesus as a person even though they are one. And I don't know why but I feel a sense of more compassion towards Jesus and see God as a stricter being, but then again they are one. Must be my subconscious, don't know...

So just am curious to know your visions...Thank you.

ayin jade

ayin jade

Royal Member

• Platinum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 34,740 posts

I dont picture anything. When I pray I just pray. Sometimes I pray with my eyes open and focus on a blank wall, but I do not hold any picture in my mind. 

Omegaman

Omegaman

• Worthy Chat Servant
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,933 posts

Same as with Sheba, I do not picture anything.

Hall7

Hall7

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,455 posts

There are times when I don't picture anything at all once the Holy Spirit takes over, then it becomes a feeling more than anything, and a good one that is :)

other one

other one

Royal Member

• Royal Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 24,488 posts

that's an interesting question.....   I usually see a mountain valley and I sense Him standing beside me but I don't actually see Him.  It's my peaceful place.

JustinM

JustinM

Royal Member

• Royal Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,368 posts

I don't picture anything most of the time, it's more of a feeling than an image.  A feeling of warmth and love, I guess those feelings could translate into an image to some people.  Sometimes when I pray, I do try to imagine what the world must have looked like when I think about the stories in the Holy Bible.  Eden, the Promised Land, what the Jews were doing for the Pharoahs, Jericho, the 1st and 2nd temples, etc.

OakWood

OakWood

Royal Member

• Royal Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,784 posts

He looks a bit like the Jolly Green Giant but sat down (on a throne). I think it's an imagery from early childhood that I adopted.

Hall7

Hall7

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,455 posts

He looks a bit like the Jolly Green Giant but sat down (on a throne). I think it's an imagery from early childhood that I adopted.

Because you imagined Him as bigger than anything else as a child?

Hall7

Hall7

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,455 posts
There was a time during my childhood when I pictured God as an old compassionate man with a white robe and white beard until I understood He isn't a human being. Ever since then It's impossible for me to come up with somewhat of an image of what He might look like. I can only picture and feel His Spirit within me which is invisible.

Butero

Butero

Royal Member

• Royal Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,822 posts

I don't picture anything.  I don't know what God looks like, and don't try to create any image in my mind.  I just talk to him.

OakWood

OakWood

Royal Member

• Royal Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,784 posts

Because you imagined Him as bigger than anything else as a child?

I don't know maybe. I don't deliberately try to picture him as looking like anything. It's just the picture I get when I hear the word 'God'. I'm a very visual person and when I hear words a picture is formed in my mind. When most people hear the word 'rose' for example, they may see a rosebush or a pink colour or whatever. We're all different.

Like a lot of people I have colours for the days of the week two. If you ask most people what colour Sunday is, they'll say 'yellow', probably because it's the colour of the Sun.

God has always resembled the Jolly Green Giant but he's almost in Black and White. Probably because I may have seen these ads on TV when I was three or four years old. I don't deliberately try to visualise him like that, I'm aware of the perils of idolatry. It's not purposeful, and I don't believe for one moment that he resembles anything like that. It's just the way my brain works.

Spock

Spock

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,210 posts
An older man in a white toga with a long white beard.

Jk

Like Sheba, I don't.

mevosper

mevosper

• PipPip
  • 171 posts

as a king sitting on a throne, but can't see his face. everything is white, pure, he wears sandals.   :grin:  

Edited by mevosper, 10 June 2014 - 07:27 PM.

moses

moses
  • Members
  • 33 posts
I picture him as a loving father that is always ready to hear me...,whenever I worship him in the spirit I see him with my spiritual eyes sitting on His Throne..."Saying All powers in Heaven and on Earth is in my Hands"

JustinM

JustinM

Royal Member

• Royal Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,368 posts

He did walk in Eden with Adam and Eve, so I am sure He has chosen to present Himself as a human being.  I wonder if he walked in the garden as Yeshuah.

babylonisfalling

babylonisfalling
  • Members
  • 12 posts

Do you picture a person, a bright light or? In my case, for some reason it seems like I get two different pictures in my mind when I pray, I see God just as the word "God" but see Jesus as a person even though they are one. And I don't know why but I feel a sense of more compassion towards Jesus and see God as a stricter being, but then again they are one. Must be my subconscious, don't know...

So just am curious to know your visions...Thank you.

I try to stay away from anthropomorphic stuff and think of God as Spirit since that's what He is. It's a work in progress but for me, it's working

kwikphilly

kwikphilly

Royal Member

• Royal Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,046 posts

Blessings Everyone,,,,

Didn't we have this exact same topic a while back?I remember the same question......& I suppose I have the same answer,I would be curious to know what my answer was then?-lol

Anyway,I say this especially because, like Oakwood, I am a very visual person with a very vivid imagination......I guess it is because I am an artist it makes me that way or perhaps I am an artist because I am that way?ha! I see God so many different ways in my minds eye when I pray or when I just spend my time with Him.......from Jesus walking with me ,wearing a tunic & robe to Jesus on the cross,mutilated & suffering......and then I envision an older King,the Great I Am in a glorious haze upon a majestic throne to a glimpse of a Spirit type man behind the thick of the forest in the Garden of Eden & the pictures  are endless & varying............................& then there are times I see paintings of MichaelAngelo ,DaVinci,Raphael    & memories of pictures I have seen in different Bibles...........................Reminds me of my favorite song"I Can Only Imagine"

With love-in Christ,Kwik

HiddenLight

HiddenLight
  • Members
  • 5 posts

I can't really picture him I just sense something there, not sure how to explain it.

CRAZY_4_JESUS

CRAZY_4_JESUS
  • Members
  • 57 posts
I picture all the things I have to be thankful to God for. My wife, my job, my house, my family.

Worthy Christian Forums - Christian Message Boards - 1999-2014 part of the Worthy Network