christian forums

Worthy Christian Forums - Christian Forums

Welcome to Worthy Christian Forums
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Please help,Drugs forbidden in the bible?????

* * * * * 1 votes

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
37 replies to this topic

firestormx

firestormx

Veteran Member

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 910 posts

Galatians 5:19-21
Now the works of the flesh are manifest, which are these; Adultery, fornication, uncleanness, lasciviousness,

20 Idolatry, witchcraft, hatred, variance, emulations, wrath, strife, seditions, heresies,

21 Envying, murders, drunkenness, reveling, and such like: of the which I tell you before, as I have also told you in time past, that they which do such things shall not inherit the kingdom of God.

In the above bible verses the word witchcraft is the one I am interested in. The Greek word that is translated as witchcraft is the same word we get the English word pharmacy from, if I am not mistaken. So is this specifically talking about drugs? Could this be understood as forbidding drugs, in context with the rest of scripture of course.

P.S. No, I am not saying we are not suppose to go to a doctor if we are sick.

OneLight

OneLight

Royal Member

• Servant
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 27,115 posts
Think of the word this way. Using medication for an ailment is not the same as taking drugs to entice a high or escape reality.

firestormx

firestormx

Veteran Member

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 910 posts

Think of the word this way. Using medication for an ailment is not the same as taking drugs to entice a high or escape reality.

So is what your saying about this word is , that going to doctor is ok ( I agree with this ). But doing drugs like cocaine or ecstasy would be wrong and sinful? Would the nicotine in cigarettes or the alcohol in beer or liquor be the same thing?

Omegaman

Omegaman

• Worthy Chat Servant
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,956 posts

Drunkeness is specifically forbidden, consumption of alcohol is not. What is the difference between the two, if not mood and behavior changes, change of judgement etc. Seems as though it is the effect, that is the issue, and I can think of no reason to not apply the principle to other drugs in addition to the drug alcohol.

It is not possible, that the bible could list the specific drugs that could be cultivated or developed, even U.S. law cannot keep up, this is why designer drugs exist. However, laws can and are set in place, that regulate the effect, intoxication, and this is what the bible has done as well. 

Things like nicotine, the effect in terms of mood elevation or alteration are smaller, however, the principle of taking car of God's temple, the human body, can also be considered. If it is bad for one, damaging or likely to damage health, then we should probably not be indulging.

Even things like eating, are spoken against in the bible, when we become pleasure seekers rather than seekers of God. Selfishness is sin, and sometimes all we need to ponder is . . . "is this behavior one that helps others, glorifies God, or just indulges selfishness?"

Agree?

firestormx

firestormx

Veteran Member

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 910 posts

Drunkeness is specifically forbidden, consumption of alcohol is not. What is the difference between the two, if not mood and behavior changes, change of judgement etc. Seems as though it is the effect, that is the issue, and I can think of no reason to not apply the principle to other drugs in addition to the drug alcohol.

It is not possible, that the bible could list the specific drugs that could be cultivated or developed, even U.S. law cannot keep up, this is why designer drugs exist. However, laws can and are set in place, that regulate the effect, intoxication, and this is what the bible has done as well. 

Things like nicotine, the effect in terms of mood elevation or alteration are smaller, however, the principle of taking car of God's temple, the human body, can also be considered. If it is bad for one, damaging or likely to damage health, then we should probably not be indulging.

Even things like eating, are spoken against in the bible, when we become pleasure seekers rather than seekers of God. Selfishness is sin, and sometimes all we need to ponder is . . . "is this behavior one that helps others, glorifies God, or just indulges selfishness?"

Agree?

Yes, I agree with what you are saying.

I am just so tired of hearing the argument that the bible doesn't say drugs are sinful, that I started doing research into it, and came across this. Which seems to say pretty clear that doing drugs ( like cocaine or ecstasy) are sinful.

ayin jade

ayin jade

Royal Member

• Platinum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 35,037 posts

It is not the same word as pharmacy. It has the same root as the word for pharmacy, which does not mean it is the same word nor does it have the same meaning. 

As an example, I found this on the internet:

The greek word for milk is gala (one form of it is galaktos), from which comes our words galaxy and lactose. Completely separate words with vastly different meanings.

firestormx

firestormx

Veteran Member

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 910 posts

It is not the same word as pharmacy. It has the same root as the word for pharmacy, which does not mean it is the same word nor does it have the same meaning. 

As an example, I found this on the internet:

The greek word for milk is gala (one form of it is galaktos), from which comes our words galaxy and lactose. Completely separate words with vastly different meanings.

Then what is the entire meaning in context of the original root word translated as witchcraft???? Also please demonstrate how I am wrong that the original word that is translated as witchcraft is not the word we get the English word Pharmacy from.

Edited by firestormx, 07 June 2014 - 01:17 AM.

ayin jade

ayin jade

Royal Member

• Platinum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 35,037 posts
Origin of PHARMACY

Late Latin pharmacia administration of drugs, from Greek pharmakeia, from pharmakeuein to administer drugs, from pharmakon magic charm, poison, drug

If you want to believe that modern pharmacy is the equivalent of witchcraft, go ahead. I hope you never have need of diabetes medicine, thyroid replacement therapy, or blood pressure medicine. You would likely die without that. 

firestormx

firestormx

Veteran Member

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 910 posts

Origin of PHARMACY

Late Latin pharmacia administration of drugs, from Greek pharmakeia, from pharmakeuein to administer drugs, from pharmakon magic charm, poison, drug

http://www.merriam-w...ionary/pharmacy

If you want to believe that modern pharmacy is the equivalent of witchcraft, go ahead. I hope you never have need of diabetes medicine, thyroid replacement therapy, or blood pressure medicine. You would likely die without that.

What in my previous posts about this not being about seeing a doctor did I not make clear??? Also, I will ask again. What is the proper meaning of the original word that is translated as witchcraft if it is not drugs?????

ayin jade

ayin jade

Royal Member

• Platinum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 35,037 posts

Magic sorcery witchcraft.

firestormx

firestormx

Veteran Member

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 910 posts

Magic sorcery witchcraft.

Let me ask this way then,

What is the proper meaning of pharmakeia

ayin jade

ayin jade

Royal Member

• Platinum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 35,037 posts

It isnt pharmacy. 

firestormx

firestormx

Veteran Member

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 910 posts

It isnt pharmacy.

Will you give me a straight answer??? What is it??? Remember, alchemy ( which is apart of the process for making meth for instance)was considered potion making and witchcraft for thousands of years. So I ask, can you give me the proper biblical meaning of pharmakeia as used in Galatians 5:19-21, with verifiable proof????

Edited by firestormx, 07 June 2014 - 02:05 AM.

ayin jade

ayin jade

Royal Member

• Platinum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 35,037 posts

Oh good grief. I have given you straight answers. However since I am apparently not giving you exactly what you want to hear, I will refrain from posting further.

firestormx

firestormx

Veteran Member

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 910 posts

Oh good grief. I have given you straight answers. However since I am apparently not giving you exactly what you want to hear, I will refrain from posting further.

You did not answer with verifiable proof. Only said over and over I am wrong without showing the details of why or how. I will not just take your word, or anyone else's word but look up and verify. You have given me nothing to verify. If you wish to refrain from posting that is your choice. I assure you my motives are pure in my heart. I am asking for help with the proper meaning for the sole purpose of not just seeing what I want to see. If I have offend in any way I apologize to you Sheba. God Bless you

Edited by firestormx, 07 June 2014 - 02:16 AM.

mevosper

mevosper

• PipPip
  • 186 posts

Now the works of the flesh are manifest, which are these; Adultery, fornication, uncleanness, lasciviousness,

20 Idolatry, witchcraft, hatred, variance, emulations, wrath, strife, seditions, heresies,

21 Envying, murders, drunkenness, reveling, and such like: of the which I tell you before, as I have also told you in time past, that they which do such things shall not inherit the kingdom of God.

So is this specifically talking about drugs? Could this be understood as forbidding drugs, in context with the rest of scripture of course.

Seems like in this case, if the drugs are used to enhance sorcery, magical arts, and witchcraft, then yes. Otherwise it would seem that all psychotropic/psychoactive drugs would have to be considered.   

Butero

Butero

Royal Member

• Royal Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 22,036 posts

People that are into sorcery will often use mind altering drugs.  I think that is the connection.  I don't believe this is speaking of the use of all medications.  Remember too that we took from the Greek word and formed the English word.  That doesn't automatically translate into us using it the exact same way it was used in the Bible.  Think about it like this.  Does it make sense to connect the use of ibuprofen with witchcraft?  On the other hand, what about LSD and witchcraft?  See the difference.  I feel no conviction whatsoever about taking antibiotics for an infection or sinus pills for allergies.  On the other hand, I do feel convicted not to use marijuana or heroin.  If you feel like this is telling you not to use any medicines, that's fine, but remember that Timothy was instructed to take a little wine for his stomach's sake and his often infirmities.  That sounds like medical advice to me. 

Sevenseas

Sevenseas

Royal Member

• Royal Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,270 posts

In the above bible verses the word witchcraft is the one I am interested in. The Greek word that is translated as witchcraft is the same word we get the English word pharmacy from, if I am not mistaken. So is this specifically talking about drugs? Could this be understood as forbidding drugs, in context with the rest of scripture of course.

P.S. No, I am not saying we are not suppose to go to a doctor if we are sick.

the word here means what it implies

try this

Cletus

Cletus

Veteran Member

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 727 posts
The word is the same. Some witchraft is just deception. I heard tales from a missionary in africa that someone who practises voodoo or witchcraft or whatever you call it, and they put poison on sticker burs and put them where you will most likely walk with no shoes on. Theymake it out to be they put a hex on them and they die. Another thing they do is like the zombies. They give them some poison that slows the heart rate so someone is thought to be dead. The poison last for several days. They get buried and then they dig them up and say they brought them back from the dead. There are things in witchcraft where "potions" and poisons are used. I think that this is probably what that verse/word is refering to.

edit: it is the same word. I went to pharmacy tech school and it was the first vocabulary word. In fact its the very first thing they taught me. I still have my spiral notebooks amd its the very first entry for the first day.

Edited by Cletus, 07 June 2014 - 02:18 PM.

shiloh357

shiloh357

Royal Member

• Platinum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 33,567 posts

It isnt pharmacy.

Will you give me a straight answer??? What is it??? Remember, alchemy ( which is apart of the process for making meth for instance)was considered potion making and witchcraft for thousands of years. So I ask, can you give me the proper biblical meaning of pharmakeia as used in Galatians 5:19-21, with verifiable proof????

Pharmakeia is not referring to medicine.  It is referring specifically to mind altering substances that was used by those involved in occultic practices in the ancient world.  They would use these substances to put themselves in a trance because they believed it made them more sensitive to the spirit world and thus make it easier for them to receive information from the spirits and in some cases it invoked demons and evil supernatural manifestations.

Some people misuse this word to say that things like pain relievers, blood pressure medicine, blood thinners, etc are of the devil and that God doesn't want us to take prescription medicine for our illnesses and that is not what Paul has in mind.

Worthy Christian Forums - Christian Message Boards - 1999-2014 part of the Worthy Network