christian forums

Worthy Christian Forums - Christian Forums

Welcome to Worthy Christian Forums
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

New here for the second time!

* * * * * 1 votes

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

Mick513

Mick513
  • Members
  • 14 posts

Greetings to all. 

I did enrol in this forum a while ago but for various reasons didn’t get very involved.  So here I am again re-introducing myself.  Although middle aged, I’m pretty new to actively praying and thinking about God, and my relationship with him. I’m a very science based person and for years have wavered about (not the existence of God) but whether my prayers would be listened to. 

I recently gain faith due to some extraordinary events in my life, and have been trying to make my faith stronger ever since.   Its difficult though, and I ask you, as Christians to help me find the path.  I hope you’ll help me, and I want to ask various questions and advice, that I’m sure my situation is more common than I think.  I don’t have any friends that I can ask, and don’t go to a church, I’ve never read the bible, and when I try it turns my off,   but you all seem a friendly bunch so, and I’d love to converse with you.  

That’s about it for my re-introduction, but I do know my faith and beliefs are real and will not disappear.  That’s surely a good start isn’t it?

Greetings to all.                Mick

Fez

Fez

Royal Member

• Servant
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,194 posts
  • Interests:Many and varied. Any technology with blinking and flashing lights, no matter what it does...

Welcome to Worthy Mick. No one can "make your faith" stronger, not even you. But you can grow into the gift of faith you have been given by God.

One can only really read the bible if one has faith in God, otherwise it will "turn you off" as you say. And because you seem to be challenged when trying to read the bible I suggest you pray for Jesus to reveal His Word to you. Start by praying and then reading the bible in small sections. Like the first 10 or so verses of John, or a short psalm like psalm 23  for instance. Then sit back and think (meditate) on them, and ask Jesus to reveal what they mean to you.

There is no need to dive into Genesis and try to plow through the entire bible just to say you have done it. Rather ask Jesus to guide you to the Word.

Eventually your hunger to know the Word will grow to the stage were you cannot wait to read the Old testament, the prophets, the wisdom books, etc.

Logan

Logan

Advanced Member

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 407 posts

Hey Mick, welcome to worthy

Mswright6488

Mswright6488
  • Members
  • 77 posts
  • Interests:my first interest is Jesus.. my focus on Him and His will for my life. Getting to heaven with clean hands and a pure heart. Blessing others to know Jesus as the way... the truth..and the life

hello again mick... so glad that you came back. Of course it was all God! There were times in my life before I got saved, that I also wondered about the Lord. But He has done so many things that ONLY He could do to get my attention. Now I fully believe and love Him so very much... never ever to doubt again. I am glad you are with us! :biggrinflip:

Helen Back

Helen Back
  • Banned
  • 47 posts

Hello Mick,

I completely understand what you are saying.  I have waffled too.  I can tell you that the times I read my bible daily I felt the closest to the Lord and felt the Holy Spirit.  Miraculous things happened in my life, and those times seemed to bring me the most joy.  I strayed away for whatever reason numerous times.  Like most things in life, you get out what you put in.  

Out of curiosity, how does a scientific approach to life work with your faith?  I know many scientists are now starting to see how both worlds can make sense together.

Much love.

Mick513

Mick513
  • Members
  • 14 posts

Hello Mick,

I completely understand what you are saying.  I have waffled too.  I can tell you that the times I read my bible daily I felt the closest to the Lord and felt the Holy Spirit.  Miraculous things happened in my life, and those times seemed to bring me the most joy.  I strayed away for whatever reason numerous times.  Like most things in life, you get out what you put in.  

Out of curiosity, how does a scientific approach to life work with your faith?  I know many scientists are now starting to see how both worlds can make sense together.

Much love.

I think my scientific background and way of thinking partly helps with me faith.  But it partly hinders, let me explain.

I often listen to scientific experts , often they are atheists who very arrogantly assert that there is no need for god as a creator because everything in science can be explained through chance, and mathematics.  For me I welcome every scientific discovery but its just deepens and enhances the wonder and enchantment of how everything came to be.  In the most simple things I have so much wonder and awe, surely gods work is the only answer.  I've studied cell biology and microscopic 'motor proteins', (only a collection of acids, and molecules), but they exhibits so many qualities of a living organisms as they swim around the cell.  Its truly miraculous.

On the other hand since I find myself studying things in tremendous details I find I get some many questions, about faith, god and the bible, and it does puzzle and slightly worry me.  But I will ask god for answers to allow me to understand, and maybe I can ask you too the various puzzles I have.

thank you so much for the warm welcome.
Mick.

FresnoJoe

FresnoJoe

Royal Member

• Worthy Watchman
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 42,073 posts
  • Interests:The LORD bless thee, and keep thee: The LORD make his face shine upon thee, and be gracious unto thee: The LORD lift up his countenance upon thee, and give thee peace. And they shall put my name upon the children of Israel; and I will bless them. Numbers 6:24-27 - - - Love, Your Brother Joe

Welcome~!

~

Greetings to all. 

I did enroll in this forum a while ago but for various reasons didn’t get very involved.  So here I am again re-introducing myself.  Although middle aged, I’m pretty new to actively praying and thinking about God, and my relationship with him. I’m a very science based person and for years have wavered about (not the existence of God) but whether my prayers would be listened to. 

I recently gain faith due to some extraordinary events in my life, and have been trying to make my faith stronger ever since.   Its difficult though, and I ask you, as Christians to help me find the path.  I hope you’ll help me, and I want to ask various questions and advice, that I’m sure my situation is more common than I think.  I don’t have any friends that I can ask, and don’t go to a church, I’ve never read the bible, and when I try it turns my off,   but you all seem a friendly bunch so, and I’d love to converse with you.  

That’s about it for my re-introduction, but I do know my faith and beliefs are real and will not disappear.  That’s surely a good start isn’t it?

Greetings to all.                Mick

~

A

For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life. John 3:16

Good

Thy word have I hid in mine heart, that I might not sin against thee. Psalms 119:11

Start To Faith

So then faith cometh by hearing, and hearing by the word of God. Romans 10:17

And To Fellowship

Then said I, Lo, I come: in the volume of the book it is written of me, Psalms 40:7

With Jesus

Now ye are clean through the word which I have spoken unto you. Abide in me, and I in you. As the branch cannot bear fruit of itself, except it abide in the vine; no more can ye, except ye abide in me. John 15:3-4

~

Be Blessed Beloved Of The KING

The LORD bless thee, and keep thee:
The LORD make his face shine upon thee, and be gracious unto thee:
The LORD lift up his countenance upon thee, and give thee peace.

And they shall put my name upon the children of Israel; and I will bless them. Numbers 6:24-27

Love, Your Brother Joe

kwikphilly

kwikphilly

Royal Member

• Royal Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,478 posts
  • Interests:My Heavenly Father,Jesus Christ,the Holy Spirit,the Bible,people,all Gods creatures(great,small & furry),from the sublime to the ridiculous,learning in general,artwork,animal trainer,cooking & eating,laughing

Blessings Mick..

Welcome to Worthy...........sure sounds like a good start to me-lol  Praise the Lord!    Baby steps Mick,like Fez suggested,so do I....begin in the Book of John,read a few verses& sit back,digest,ask God to reveal Himself in His Word................we suggest the gospel o-f John because it is Gods love letter to you,,,,,one way to know God is to learn how much He truly loves us....................glad you are here

With love-in Christ,Kwik

*Zion*

*Zion*

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,850 posts
  • Interests:The Kingdom of God.

Welcome Mick, God bless you :)

amandakay

amandakay
  • Members
  • 18 posts
  • Interests:movies, family. riding through the country. fishing. hunting. reading, and talking,

welcome :) 

Mick513

Mick513
  • Members
  • 14 posts

Greetings, I have a question from the heart and really hope you can have a stab at answering it for me.  I want to strengthen my relationship with God and feel more purposefully in prayer.

A few years ago I had a really upsetting time, and I prayed to God for help, and amazingly, it came.  This was a real awakening for me and I vowed I would never forget the miracle that God had delivered for me.  I still stand by those words. 

When I pray I feel confused about what I should say.  I make a point of never asking for anything for myself again, as it seems wrong to use God as a kind of wishing machine.  Although I’m sure if I was really desperate I would.  In prayer, I ask for forgiveness for my sins, and always offer thanks for what has recently happened to me.  I do however ask for specifics regarding the health and happiness of those around me.  I also ask for guidance or for signs that God is looking out for me, or a direction for me to take.

I’m frustrated that I don’t see signs or understand any guidance that may have come my way.  Is this a common feeling?

My question is how do you manage your prayer, and get to feeling closer to God, like a friend or father?  For me often it feels like I’m going through to motions and I don’t feel myself.

Many thanks for your reading of my post.

Mick.

achristian2

achristian2
  • Members
  • 67 posts

Welcome Mike

Littlelambseativy

Littlelambseativy

Royal Member

• Royal Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,481 posts
  • Interests:Gardening, cooking, baking, making cards.
Welcome again!

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Worthy Christian Forums - Christian Message Boards - 1999-2014 part of the Worthy Network