christian forums

Worthy Christian Forums - Christian Forums

Welcome to Worthy Christian Forums
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

How well do we know Scripture...

* * * * * 1 votes

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
38 replies to this topic

GoldenEagle

GoldenEagle

Royal Member

• Royal Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,343 posts

How well do we know Scripture… Are these sayings or something similar found in the Bible?

1. "Moderation in all things”

2. "Money is the root of all evil"

3. "Cleanliness is next to Godliness"

4. "God helps those who help themselves"

5. "And this too shall pass"

6. "To thine own self be true"

7. "Do unto others as you would have them do unto you"

"God works in mysterious ways."

9. "Pride goes {or comes} before a fall."

God will not put more on you than you can bear.

Also, anymore sayings you could think of that are commonly used that may or may not be Scripture?

Littlelambseativy

Littlelambseativy

Royal Member

• Royal Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,565 posts
They are Biblical but rephrased.

OakWood

OakWood

Royal Member

• Royal Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,461 posts

Some are Biblical but have been reworded. Some have been reworded so that they have lost their original meaning. I don't believe that "God works in mysterious ways" is Biblical at all, but I am happy to be corrected if need be.

firestormx

firestormx

Veteran Member

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 828 posts
1. don't think so/ not sure

2. it's the love of money, not money.

3.not in the bible that I'm aware of.

4.not in the bible that I'm aware of.

5.not in the bible that I'm aware of.

6.not in the bible that I'm aware of.

7. a play off of love thy neighbor as thy self.

8.bible/ reworded I think

9.I think it's pride goes before destruction.

10.not in the bible that I'm aware of.

This is honestly my best go at it without looking anything up.

P.S. you should have also added " God will throw our sins in the sea of forgetfulness"

Edited by firestormx, 16 June 2014 - 01:13 PM.

Fez

Fez

Royal Member

• Servant
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,369 posts

How well do we know Scripture… Are these sayings or something similar found in the Bible?

3. "Cleanliness is next to Godliness"

4. "God helps those who help themselves"

5. "And this too shall pass"

6. "To thine own self be true"

7. "Do unto others as you would have them do unto you"

"God works in mysterious ways."

9. "Pride goes {or comes} before a fall."

God will not put more on you than you can bear.

Also, anymore sayings you could think of that are commonly used that may or may not be Scripture?

Apple of my eye...

shiloh357

shiloh357

Royal Member

• Royal Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 32,483 posts

Apple of my eye - Zech. 2:8

shiloh357

shiloh357

Royal Member

• Royal Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 32,483 posts

#3 is from the Talmud

GoldenEagle

GoldenEagle

Royal Member

• Royal Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,343 posts

This phrase is not in the Bible. The phrase comes from Aristotle’s book titled Nicomachean Ethics. There are some passages that could be favorable in Scripture. For example, Philippians 4:4 “Let your reasonableness {moderation in some translation} be known to everyone. The Lord is at hand…” and also 1 Corinthians 9:25 “Every athlete exercises self-control {some translation use the term temperate} in all things. They do it to receive a perishable wreath, but we an imperishable...”

GoldenEagle

GoldenEagle

Royal Member

• Royal Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,343 posts

This phrase is close to a passage in Scripture. But misses the mark with the omission of an important term. The LOVE of money is the root of all evil. Money is amoral. It’s what we do with it that makes our decisions moral or immoral. Loving money is idolatry which is putting anything before God.

1 Tim. 6:10 “For the love of money is a root of all kinds of evils. It is through this craving that some have wandered away from the faith and pierced themselves with many pangs.”

GoldenEagle

GoldenEagle

Royal Member

• Royal Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,343 posts

3. “Cleanliness is next to Godliness”

This phrase is not in the Bible. There are Levitical and Mosaic laws of cleanliness. Having a living area clean does reduce chances for diseases and eliminate germs. The saying may have originated as an ancient Babylonian and Hebrew proverb, but became very popular during the Victorian era after being revived by Sir Francis Bacon and John Wesley. While hygiene is important Jesus was more concerned Jesus was more concerned about the sin in people’s hearts than the dirt in their hands. (See Matt. 7:18-23)

GoldenEagle

GoldenEagle

Royal Member

• Royal Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,343 posts

4. “God helps those who help themselves”

This phrase is not in the Bible. The earliest recording of this saying is actually from Aesop's fable "Hercules and the Waggoner." A man's wagon got stuck in a muddy road, and he prayed for Hercules to help. Hercules appeared and said, "Get up and put your shoulder to the wheel." The moral given was "The gods help them that help themselves." Aesop was a Greek writer who lived from 620 to 564 BC, but obviously was not an author of the Bible. The saying was also made famous by Benjamin Franklin in 1776. Regarding salvation Jesus Christ is the only way and we cannot help ourselves or save ourselves. So we certainly cannot help ourselves there. In fact, the Bible teaches the exact opposite in many instances. Jesus said it is better to give than to receive for example in Acts 20:35.

Maui Ice

Maui Ice

• PipPip
  • 135 posts

I know a lot of saying that people accredit to God's Word or Biblical sayings have been tweeked a bit here and there and still said to be found in Scriptures. I think that is something taht we need to be careful of because even a small change here and there to a phrase can change the whole meaning of the sentence.

For example, like firestormx said, it's the "love of money", not "money is the root of all evil". a few word changes here and there and people are attributing verses to a place they aren't originated from. The Bible is the best resource for these kind of things by far!

Cletus

Cletus

Veteran Member

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 540 posts
Proverbs 4:23

GoldenEagle

GoldenEagle

Royal Member

• Royal Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,343 posts

5. “And this too shall pass”

This phrase is not in the Bible. Abraham Lincoln once used this phrase in a speech. This possibly is a misinterpretation of a line from "The Lament of Doer," an Old English poem. The main character, Doer, has been replaced as his lord's poet, and calls to mind several other Germanic mythological figures who went through troubled times. Of note each refrain ends with, "that passed away, so may this." Another possibility is that this saying has its roots in the works of Persian Sufi poets. Attar of Nishapur records one fable of a powerful king who asks assembled wise men to create a ring that will make him happy when he is sad, and vice versa. After debating, the sages hand him a simple ring with the words “This too will pass” etched on it, which has the desired effect. There are passages in the Bible including Matt. 24:5 that tell us that our lives, heaven, and earth will pass away.

GoldenEagle

GoldenEagle

Royal Member

• Royal Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,343 posts

#3 is from the Talmud

Please expand on this?

GoldenEagle

GoldenEagle

Royal Member

• Royal Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,343 posts

Proverbs 4:23

Which number is this in reference to please Cletus? Or is this a new observation?

Prov. 4:23
Keep your heart with all vigilance,
    for from it flow the springs of life.

GoldenEagle

GoldenEagle

Royal Member

• Royal Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,343 posts

6. “To thine own self be true”

This Phrase comes from Hamlet Act 1 Scene 3 written by the famous William Shakespeare. Scripture says that our ways are like a filth rags and that we need God's instruction as well as guidance into liberty and righteousness. See for example Psalm 23:3, Isaiah 64:6, and Isaiah 59:10.

GoldenEagle

GoldenEagle

Royal Member

• Royal Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,343 posts

They are Biblical but rephrased.

Please see explanations in previous posts. I did a little research and found that a lot of them were not in the Bible after all.

God bless sister!

In Christ,
GE

shiloh357

shiloh357

Royal Member

• Royal Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 32,483 posts

#3 is from the Talmud

Please expand on this?

The phrase cleanliness is next to godliness is attributed to Rabbi Phineas ben Yair and is found in tractate Avodah Zarah 20b.

gamnot

gamnot

• PipPip
  • 109 posts

1. Moderation in all things. 

From the book of Ecclesiastes chapter 7: "Do not be over-righteous, nor be over-wise - Why destroy yourself? 

do not be over-wicked, and do not be a fool - Why die before your time?

It is good to grasp the one and not let go of the other. 

the man of God will avoid all extremes."        

Worthy Christian Forums - Christian Message Boards - 1999-2014 part of the Worthy Network