christian forums

Worthy Christian Forums - Christian Forums

Welcome to Worthy Christian Forums
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Are There Times Truth Should Be Suppressed?

* * * * * 1 votes

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
21 replies to this topic

Butero

Butero

Royal Member

• Royal Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,842 posts

I am not wanting to discuss specific "things" in this thread, but am just asking this question in a general sense.  Are there instances where a Bible question is better left unasked, and are there instances where Christians should intentionally twist scripture to make the Bible and God look more appealing to the world today?  Again, I am not wanting to go into any specific topics, as I have seen this kind of question come up time and again.  I have seen Christians shy away from certain controversial subjects for fear of how it will make the church look, and I have seen Christians completely pervert scripture to make their doctrine seem more reasonable to the current culture. 

I want to make it clear that I can understand why people might feel either way.  My personal view has been to put the truth out there and let the chips fall where they may, and to try to be completely honest, but I do understand how some are not spiritually equipped to accept absolute truth.  As such, I am sincerely desiring the opinion of my fellow brothers and sisters at Worthy Boards. 

OakWood

OakWood

Royal Member

• Royal Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,829 posts

I am not wanting to discuss specific "things" in this thread, but am just asking this question in a general sense.  Are there instances where a Bible question is better left unasked, and are there instances where Christians should intentionally twist scripture to make the Bible and God look more appealing to the world today?  Again, I am not wanting to go into any specific topics, as I have seen this kind of question come up time and again.  I have seen Christians shy away from certain controversial subjects for fear of how it will make the church look, and I have seen Christians completely pervert scripture to make their doctrine seem more reasonable to the current culture. 

I want to make it clear that I can understand why people might feel either way.  My personal view has been to put the truth out there and let the chips fall where they may, and to try to be completely honest, but I do understand how some are not spiritually equipped to accept absolute truth.  As such, I am sincerely desiring the opinion of my fellow brothers and sisters at Worthy Boards. 

I don't think that you should suppress the truth nor twist it to make it more appealing. If you want to reach out to non-believers you can simply emphasise the more comfortable and positive assets of Christianity instead. In other words preach heaven, not Hellfire. The carrot is better than the stick.

However, there are certain circumstances when you should just put out the plain truth and leave it at that. How people respond to that is up to them.

ayin jade

ayin jade

Royal Member

• Platinum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 34,764 posts

Yes there are some times where a question should be deferred. If a believer is asking in front of a grieving parent at a funeral whether or not babies go to heaven, it might be a good time to defer the question. If you are a unmarried young woman and you are asking an adult male (pastor) about the song of songs and the sexuality in it ... it might be recommended to defer that question to a woman instead (like the pastor's wife). You should not thump an unbeliever who has just lost a parent/spouse/child that unbelievers go to hell. Instead it would be better to discuss who Jesus is and how He reconciles us to God. These would be situations where discernment comes in.

I do not think a believer should ever twist scripture to make it more appealing to people. I do think the truth should always be represented at appropriate times. But I think there are clearly times a question should not be addressed at that moment as I stated above.

Butero

Butero

Royal Member

• Royal Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,842 posts

Yes there are some times where a question should be deferred. If a believer is asking in front of a grieving parent at a funeral whether or not babies go to heaven, it might be a good time to defer the question. If you are a unmarried young woman and you are asking an adult male (pastor) about the song of songs and the sexuality in it ... it might be recommended to defer that question to a woman instead (like the pastor's wife). You should not thump an unbeliever who has just lost a parent/spouse/child that unbelievers go to hell. Instead it would be better to discuss who Jesus is and how He reconciles us to God. These would be situations where discernment comes in.

I do not think a believer should ever twist scripture to make it more appealing to people. I do think the truth should always be represented at appropriate times. But I think there are clearly times a question should not be addressed at that moment as I stated above.

Those are all interesting points.  I find it hard to imagine a believer would ask in front of a grieving parent if babies go to heaven, but if they did, I do agree it wouldn't be the right place to discuss something like that.  I would be better off talking to the person in private.  Talking to someone of the opposite sex about sensual matters is best avoided, but I think Song of Songs has a spiritual meaning, and most people look at it in a carnal manner.  I agree it wouldn't be good to thump anyone over the head and say their dead loved one went to hell, but I usually avoid that by pointing out that it is always possible they called out to Jesus before they died.  Regardless, you make valid points about using tact.  Thanks for your input. 

@ Oakwood, you may be right about promoting the positive side of becoming a Christian, but I know from personal experience that fear of hell is more effective with some.  It just depends.  Thanks for your input.

shiloh357

shiloh357

Royal Member

• Royal Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 32,829 posts

I agree with Sheba.  There are times when certain questions are inappropriate and should be held for more appropriate times.

I don't think the truth should be twisted to make Jesus or the Church look better.

The Gospel is not a product we are called to sell.  We are simply called to preach it. 

Jesus was not in the habit of selling His message.  He called on people to take up their cross and follow Him.   The cross was the indignant and appalling thing to a first century Jew.   Even Romans thought it was a disgrace to die on a cross.   To carry one's cross was to be  the most despised person in the world.  You were not carrying your cross except to head to the place of execution and to public humiliation. 

Jesus' Gospel and his call to public humiliation was not sugar coated by Jesus, not one bit.  He demanded it of His followers.  So His imagery of the cross served as a filter to separate the true followers from those who only wanted to give Him lip service.

Enoc

Enoc

• PipPip
  • 161 posts

Are there instances where a Bible question is better left unasked,

No sure if you meant unanswered, instead of unasked.

In any event, I don't think it's wrong to ask a question.The real issue is do you know the answer. I get questions from time to time and I answer the question based on my understanding of scripture which can change if the holy spirit reveals more later. I try to refer to scripture to support my answers.

and are there instances where Christians should intentionally twist scripture to make the Bible and God look more appealing to the world today?

No, based on my understanding that's not necessary. 

Isaiah 55:11

New King James Version (NKJV)

11 So shall My word be that goes forth from My mouth; It shall not return to Me void, But it shall accomplish what I please, And it shall prosper in the thing for which I sent it.

JTC

JTC

Veteran Member

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 827 posts

I agree with what has been said. I want to give you a real life example of why we can't twist the truth.  About 20 years ago 2 of my cousins became involved with a new age guru. One way this man made money was to hold classes and teach people what he knew, for a price. So he was always looking for people to come to him for information, that was ultimately the devils lies. So my female cousin and the guru would go around trying to find people they could make money from. My cousin was close to my mother so she wrote my mother a letter just to tell my mother what she was doing. I'll never forget this one sentence. My cousin said that she and the guru go around to various churches and they will present their information is whatever "guise" is necessary to get people to accept it.  That word guise practically leaped off the page at me. Guise is short for disguise and Jesus told us straight out that Satan can disguise himself even as an angel of light. Brothers and sisters, we must never do this. We must never disguise the truth of Jesus being crucified and then resurrected to pay for our sins. If a person wants to walk away at the name of Jesus, let them. If that person is meant to be saved God will call him/her back.  But we must plant as may seeds as opportunity affords us. 

the_patriot2014

the_patriot2014

Royal Member

• Platinum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,708 posts
If the truth will set you free-what does anything but the truth do?

Trinitron

Trinitron

• PipPip
  • 135 posts

The truth does get suppressed here and everywhere.  It's at the discretion of whomever has the control.  I guess it's an accept it or leave situation.

OneLight

OneLight

Royal Member

• Servant
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 26,632 posts

Being the bearer of truth has responsibilities.  Yet, we are also given wisdom and maturity to know how and when to speak the truth to someone.  Better yet, we have the Holy Spirit to guide us, since we are not always wise and mature in every situation, as emotions take over.  Is this repression?  Not in certain cases, but I am sure in some it is.  Jesus did not always come right out and speak the truth bluntly, but often spoke in parables because those He were speaking to needed to consider the lessen in the parable in order to accept the truth. 

Nobody should add to, take away from , or "twist" scripture to make it say what it is not intended to say.  This would include cherry picking scripture, taking it out of context to prove a point.

Your two questions, if only looked at for its surface value, could be an easy yes and no answer, but it has a lot of depth to it when considering the many applications it could pertain to. 

Hall7

Hall7

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,457 posts

Being the bearer of truth has responsibilities.  Yet, we are also given wisdom and maturity to know how and when to speak the truth to someone.

Amen and that's the mot important thing to understand. Some think they know the truth and insist "their" truth onto others. The truth is always discerned by the Holy Spirit, without discernment it's best to not insist that we are correct about a certain subject when we might not be. It's best to discuss and learn with others about certain subjects in the Bible until it is Spiritually discerned before we insist that the way we understand the passage is the truth.

Enoc

Enoc

• PipPip
  • 161 posts

Love without truth is hypocrisy

Truth without Love is brutality

other one

other one

Royal Member

• Royal Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 24,543 posts

there are times when one should not force truth on someone.....   some things you just should keep to yourself without telling lies......    many times one should just keep quiet.

When I ask my son or daughter something that they didn't want to tell me the truth about,  "you don't need to know"  was an ok answer

Openly Curious

Openly Curious

Royal Member

• Royal Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,263 posts

We should speak the truth in love.  Scripture states that the "truth" will set you free".  Jesus is the way, the truth and the life there is no other way to reconciliation with God.  The church must speak the truth without reservation or comprimise the message of repentance unto salvation.

However when speaking the truth of the gospel in general there are times when we should keep quiet.  An example would be that Jesus told us not to cast our pearls before the swine or they would turn and rind us.  God gives us wisdom and discernment in his word to help us know when and what to speak at the time we need to speak the truth.  Whether that truth is shared later in private to a seeker or in a more appropriate place for the subject matter.  But the gospel of Jesus Christ and him crucified should never be twisted or tainted by believers.

Butero

Butero

Royal Member

• Royal Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,842 posts

Being the bearer of truth has responsibilities.  Yet, we are also given wisdom and maturity to know how and when to speak the truth to someone.  Better yet, we have the Holy Spirit to guide us, since we are not always wise and mature in every situation, as emotions take over.  Is this repression?  Not in certain cases, but I am sure in some it is.  Jesus did not always come right out and speak the truth bluntly, but often spoke in parables because those He were speaking to needed to consider the lessen in the parable in order to accept the truth. 

Nobody should add to, take away from , or "twist" scripture to make it say what it is not intended to say.  This would include cherry picking scripture, taking it out of context to prove a point.

Your two questions, if only looked at for its surface value, could be an easy yes and no answer, but it has a lot of depth to it when considering the many applications it could pertain to. 

I am not sure these questions are a simple as they appear on the surface.  That is why I was asking for different points of view.  I don't think the answer to my first question was automatic at all.  I almost would want to say no, and that there is no Bible question someone shouldn't ask, but that's not necessarily true, if the intent isn't pure.  Like I said, I am interested in various thoughts on this, so thanks for your input. 

Butero

Butero

Royal Member

• Royal Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,842 posts

Being the bearer of truth has responsibilities.  Yet, we are also given wisdom and maturity to know how and when to speak the truth to someone.

Amen and that's the mot important thing to understand. Some think they know the truth and insist "their" truth onto others. The truth is always discerned by the Holy Spirit, without discernment it's best to not insist that we are correct about a certain subject when we might not be. It's best to discuss and learn with others about certain subjects in the Bible until it is Spiritually discerned before we insist that the way we understand the passage is the truth.

That is an interesting thought Hall, but I would think it is understood that anything anyone says is their opinion, based on their knowledge.  We all may argue our point, and strongly, but that is to be expected.  We believe what we believe, but everyone should also know that the only one with perfect knowledge is God himself. 

Butero

Butero

Royal Member

• Royal Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,842 posts

We should speak the truth in love.  Scripture states that the "truth" will set you free".  Jesus is the way, the truth and the life there is no other way to reconciliation with God.  The church must speak the truth without reservation or comprimise the message of repentance unto salvation.

However when speaking the truth of the gospel in general there are times when we should keep quiet.  An example would be that Jesus told us not to cast our pearls before the swine or they would turn and rind us.  God gives us wisdom and discernment in his word to help us know when and what to speak at the time we need to speak the truth.  Whether that truth is shared later in private to a seeker or in a more appropriate place for the subject matter.  But the gospel of Jesus Christ and him crucified should never be twisted or tainted by believers.

I like that OC.  The teaching about not casting your pearls before swine seems very appropriate for this discussion. 

@ Enoc, that is an interesting comment you made.  I never heard that before.  Honestly, I am not sure if I agree with it or not.  I will have to give it more thought. 

I just got caught up on this thread, and found all the comments of interest. 

FresnoJoe

FresnoJoe

Royal Member

• Worthy Watchman
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 43,043 posts

....I am not wanting to discuss specific "things" in this thread, but am just asking this question in a general sense....  

....Are there instances where a Bible question is better left unasked....

....and are there instances where Christians should intentionally twist scripture....

....to make the Bible and God look more appealing to the world today....

:thumbsup:

~

Beloved

The woman shall not wear that which pertaineth unto a man, neither shall a man put on a woman's garment: for all that do so are abomination unto the LORD thy God. Deuteronomy 22:5

The Humbling Truth Is

Every man praying or prophesying, having his head covered, dishonoureth his head. 1 Corinthians 11:4

Without Jesus We Will Never Be Good Enough

Pray without ceasing. 1 Thessalonians 5:17

For The Kingdom Of God

And thou hast removed my soul far off from peace: I forgat prosperity.
And I said, My strength and my hope is perished from the LORD:
Remembering mine affliction and my misery, the wormwood and the gall.
My soul hath them still in remembrance, and is humbled in me.

This I recall to my mind, therefore have I hope.
It is of the LORD's mercies that we are not consumed, because his compassions fail not.
They are new every morning: great is thy faithfulness.
Lamentations 3:17-23

Butero

Butero

Royal Member

• Royal Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,842 posts

Looking at what you said FJ, that we will never be good enough, does that mean we throw up our hands and decide we don't care to try?  Are we to just take the position that since we can't live up to God's standards to the point of saving ourselves, we can do anything pleasing in our sight?  We can smoke, party, watch porn, fornicate, basically do anything, given the fact we can never be good enough?  The problem I have with what you said is you are limiting your comment to specific things that seem to rile some up, rather than looking at this position as a whole.  If I decide I can't live good enough anyway, so who cares if I let my hair grow to the length of Crystal Gayle, why couldn't I take the same position with regard to anything I want?  It would put me in the camp with those who say there is no difference between a Christian and a non-believer outside of one has accepted Jesus as their Savior.  Do you really believe that is true?  I am not saying this as an attack.  I am genuinely trying to figure out what you are saying to me?  If you aren't making this all inclusive, why not? 

Hippie333

Hippie333

Veteran Member

• Servant
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 746 posts

Love without truth is hypocrisy

Truth without Love is brutality

A favorite pastor of mine said that once as well.............another favorite of mine said  "It's perfectly fine to say "you don't know" ......people may not like it at the moment, but they will respect it and probably pay more attention when you speak on what you "do know" :)

God Bless,

Hip

Worthy Christian Forums - Christian Message Boards - 1999-2014 part of the Worthy Network