christian forums

Worthy Christian Forums - Christian Forums

Welcome to Worthy Christian Forums
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

King james bible only

* * * * * 1 votes

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
283 replies to this topic

fire-heart

fire-heart

Advanced Member

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 420 posts

i have run accross many ppl who say the king james bible is the true word of God, Why exactly is that?

Cross Reference

Cross Reference

• Banned
  • PipPip
  • 193 posts

i have run accross many ppl who say the king james bible is the true word of God, Why exactly is that?

Because Holy Spirit insight holds the key to understanding text not easily understood __ and some presumed understood by simplicity of certain sentence structure.. It is a dead translation to those who make the attempt without such insight.

Edited by Cross Reference, 24 June 2014 - 10:49 AM.

enoob57

enoob57

Royal Member

• Soapbox - Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,183 posts
Basic beginning understanding of topic this is good
http://www.gotquesti...g/KJV-only.html
Love, Steven

fire-heart

fire-heart

Advanced Member

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 420 posts

Because Holy Spirit insight holds the key to understanding text not easily understood __ and some presumed understood by simplicity of certain sentence structure.. It is a dead translation to those who make the attempt without such insight.

Okay but the bible is written in many laguages and if say the KJV is the only true inspired word of God then ppl who cannot speak or read english well but were Christians would be out of luck wouldnt they?

Then you me- I use the Niv version, Now something happened when i first began reading the bible.As I read every word I could feel my soul devouring it- I know sounds strange right? But it was as if my soul was being feed good things as I read and i could read God or Jesus speaking and it was like they were speaking directly to me no different than one speaks to another.

If your KJV is the only true word of God then What am I to make of this?

fire-heart

fire-heart

Advanced Member

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 420 posts

Basic beginning understanding of topic this is good
http://www.gotquesti...g/KJV-only.html
Love, Steven

Ty it was very informative:]

walla299

walla299

Royal Member

• Platinum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,803 posts

Bottom line is read a translation you are comfortable with . . . one the Holy Spirit leads you to. You'll know it when you find it -- but stay away from The Message - its a paraphrase, not a translation. There is a difference, and its important.

As an example, I was lead away from certain translations when I was first saved and used the KJV because most churches in my area used it at the time. I didn't have any experience at that point in my life, but my background let me use the KJV with no problem. I moved to the ESV later on for church and general reading, but still use the KJV for study -- mainly because many of my reference books are keyed to that version and I see no reason to replace them since I don't have the money.

If you run a search you will find there have been quite a few threads on KJV Only over the years. Much of the "debate" seems to be endless arguments to me, but like many things there are differences of opinion and some hold really strongly to their particular take on it. Its another subject that can lead to much division if taken too far.

Have a look at http://www.biblegateway.com/ which has a drop down list of English and other language translations you can use for free. Its great for finding one you are comfortable with. 

KC02

KC02

Veteran Member

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 507 posts

I heard one preacher say that the KJV was the true word of God because a king had it translated. lol. You will hear all sorts of silly arguments.

OldSchool2

OldSchool2

• Worthy Writers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,667 posts

I heard one preacher say that the KJV was the true word of God because a king had it translated. lol. You will hear all sorts of silly arguments.

Yeah, the translation was authorized by King James, hence the name. But despite its regal language, even the new KJV is dependent on the Greek "Septuagint" translation of the Hebrew scriptures, hence the KJV is a translation of a translation.

enoob57

enoob57

Royal Member

• Soapbox - Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,183 posts
I am so thankful to God in His design of salvation that is one of s(S)pirit and not
flesh... think about it God's definition and examples of faith Hebrew 11 -> as
all these traded all that they knew and was born into (this world) for the one promised
by God formed from His Word alone... It can only be the original writings that were inspired
because we have the family of text King James's people used and there are copiest errors
in them... and we know God is without error! This ultimately accomplishes his desire for us
to come to Him in s(S)pirit alone willing leaving all need of this physical behind. I have
found it to be a place of perfect peace for it is unaffected by whatever is here! Love, Steven

Trinitron

Trinitron

• PipPip
  • 135 posts

Seriously, in order to understand the King James Only view, you have to become a KJVologist.  I could teach a class on it.  To tell you the truth, many people that are considered authorities or are highly respected, speak very confidently on the subject with embarrassing incorrect and lack of knowledge.  This subject simply can't be explained in a sentence or a paragraph.  I can tell you that most will fail to do enough research on it.  Honestly, just spend your time reading ANY bible.  It will be a better use of your time than to scrutinize different versions. 

Salty

Salty

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,073 posts

Get more into the history of how the 1611 King James Bible came into existence compared to other later translations and you'll understand more of that.

Another thing is Holy Spirit markings in the KJV. To date, in English, no other Bible translation keeps as well to the accuracy from the manuscripts regarding the subject and object flow, which were manifested by The Holy Spirit when given the original writers to write under His unction. This is why even the NKJV reads differently in many places, because it gets somewhat away from that (and you thought all they did with the NKJV was change the thee's and thou's? No, there's parts left out in the NKJV that exist in the 1611 KJV).

I sometimes hear complaints about Bible students reading the 1611 KJV because subject repetitions occur often, especially in the OT. The same verse in a early part of a Bible chapter may often be repeated word for word in a later part of the chapter. That happens because of The Holy Spirit markings on subject and object flow within God's Word. It's a unique event in literature. Take a look at the 1800's Christian scholar E.W. Bullinger's KJV study Bible called The Companion Bible and you'll quickly see what I mean, because he put those outlined Holy Spirit markings in the side margins of the text.

Edited by Salty, 27 June 2014 - 02:07 PM.

GoldenEagle

GoldenEagle

Royal Member

• Royal Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,460 posts

Actually in comparing the translations to the Greek, Hebrew, and Armaic the NASB or the ESV are versions that present the better word for word English translations:

image0021.jpg

Butero

Butero

Royal Member

• Royal Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,839 posts

I can't speak for everyone that is KJV only, but my response would be that I consider the Textus Receptus the true Word of God, so unless a translation has the TR as it's foundation, I don't accept it as reliable.  In English, that pretty much limits it to the KJV Bible, the NKJV Bible and the Geneva Bible.  I have other reasons for being KJV only.

1.  New translations often leave part of the verses out of the text and put them in footnotes if they mention them at all.  They use as an excuse that "the most reliable manuscripts don't include..."  Nobody can explain what makes on manuscript more reliable than another.

2.  There are people who would like to leave things out of the Bible because they don't like them.  There are people that will create new Bibles to intentionally change the meaning.  The New World Translation comes to mind.  If Jehovah's Witnesses can do it, so can anyone else.

Basically, I trust the KJV Bible, and I don't trust the modern English translations. 

Butero

Butero

Royal Member

• Royal Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,839 posts

Actually in comparing the translations to the Greek, Hebrew, and Armaic the NASB or the ESV are versions that present the better word for word English translations:

image0021.jpg

But not from the Textus Receptus.  That is the problem. 

Johnlove

Johnlove

• Members *
  • PipPip
  • 127 posts

I personally find the King James Bible to be error filled.  I don't believe this way, because of any study, but because the Holy Spirit has pointed out errors as I have read that translation.

Personally it does not make much difference to me what bible I read, because Jesus/Holy Spirit will give me the correct meaning of any verse.   

Cletus

Cletus

Veteran Member

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 714 posts
Personally I have a kjv that I read. I have also had a niv. The kjv has way less errors than the niv. Romans 8:1 is an example that readily comes to mind. In the kjv romans 8:1 says this: there is therfore now no condemnation to them which are in Christ Jesus, who walk not after the flesh, but after the spirit. Now lets take a look at romans 8:1 in the niv...therefore, there is now no condemnation, for those who are in Christ Jesus. Notice how the nivleaves off the last part. The last part has significant meaning and should not be ommited. If you look into this for yourself on the internet there is boat loads of info on this. The kjv does have errors for instance in acts 12:4 the word easter can be found. Scholars have since agreed the word easter is an error and the word passover is found in newer versions. The kjv from what research I have done is the more accurate version. However, the very first bible I had was a cev or contemporary english version. Its really not a translation but a paraphrase. If you were to look thru this book you will find highlights and underlines and circles all over the place. I marked whatever scriptures God brought to life for me. God can speak thru a donkey, so surely He can speak thru any version out there. Also some people cannot understand the kjv so they choose another version for the purpose of comprehesion. There are versions out there such as newkjv and king james easy reader, I have one of those too and they take words like ye and put you. They basicly take the olde english out of it. I recommend to read whatever bible God leads you to because He knows what you need to read/hear. He knows how to grow us individualy. The kjv is probably the most accurate but still not perfect. Look it up on the internet for yourself. Lots of info out there.

Salty

Salty

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,073 posts

image0021.jpg

That 'dream' chart sure is in error and completely misleading.

Some of those Bible versions were not even translated from the same set of Bible manuscripts!

So any kind of side-by-side comparison would be moot!

enoob57

enoob57

Royal Member

• Soapbox - Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,183 posts

I personally find the King James Bible to be error filled.  I don't believe this way, because of any study, but because the Holy Spirit has pointed out errors as I have read that translation.

Personally it does not make much difference to me what bible I read, because Jesus/Holy Spirit will give me the correct meaning of any verse.

Wow and I thought The Holy Spirit gave us this responsibility:
2 Tim 2:15
15 Study to shew thyself approved unto God, a workman that
needeth not to be ashamed, rightly dividing the word of truth.
KJV

As I understand it God gives me the responsibility to study and then upon that
obedience His Holy Spirit guides me into the truth that will never pass away...
Love, Steven

OneLight

OneLight

Royal Member

• Servant
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 26,625 posts

To fully understand the argument behind the translations, one has to dig deep into the textual context used in the translations.  Not many will venture deep enough to understand what form of textural criticism was used for which translation and why.  One has to realize that there are no original transcripts today, meaning that all transcripts had to be pieced back together using stringent guidelines

For starters, research what the follow are:

• Textus Receptus (received text)
  • Critical Text
  • Majority Text
  • Alexandrian Text
  • there are others ...

The above can also be approached by understanding the following:

• Codex Sinaiticus
  • Codex Vaticanus
  • Codex Alexandrinus
  • Codex Bezae

Perhaps an easy way to begin is to review the history given on this site:  Literary History of the Bible

another_poster

another_poster

• PipPip
  • 159 posts

Bottom line is read a translation you are comfortable with . . . one the Holy Spirit leads you to. You'll know it when you find it -- but stay away from The Message - its a paraphrase, not a translation. There is a difference, and its important.www.biblegateway.com/ which has a drop down list of English and other language translations you can use for free. Its great for finding one you are comfortable with. 

It may be a paraphrase just like several other translations that are happily accepted by general christian community but it still can have a place and usefulness. Certainly be hesitant to form doctrine based on what it says but it can open up difficult to understand passages.

Worthy Christian Forums - Christian Message Boards - 1999-2014 part of the Worthy Network