christian forums

Worthy Christian Forums - Christian Forums

Welcome to Worthy Christian Forums
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Your Name

* * * * * 1 votes Did God give it to you

• Please log in to reply
19 replies to this topic

tigger398

tigger398

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,709 posts

Did God give you the name when you were born. I hate my name. My first name sounds like an old ladys name, and my middle name my parents always used, but reminds me of when my mom used to call my name when she was drunk. I really hate my name.  :(

FresnoJoe

FresnoJoe

Royal Member

• Worthy Watchman
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 42,400 posts
  • Interests:The LORD bless thee, and keep thee: The LORD make his face shine upon thee, and be gracious unto thee: The LORD lift up his countenance upon thee, and give thee peace. And they shall put my name upon the children of Israel; and I will bless them. Numbers 6:24-27 - - - Love, Your Brother Joe

I Really Love Mine

My Honey (Married 45 Years) Still Calls Me By My Name, Mostly.... :)

silviawang

silviawang

Veteran Member

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 702 posts
  • Interests:belly-dance,indian dance

my chinese name is sound like a man's name

so when i need an english name,i tried to pick out the most feminine name in the dictionary,and then there is silvia

And then I used the name”silvia” talking in the internet, and a guy asked me : are y a Christian?,I said no(at that time I was not a Christian and know nothing about Christian)

I asked him why he gave me such a question, he said that Silvia is one of the ancient Christian saints ,and she sacrificed her life for her faith,and the Chinese Christians like to use this name when they need an English name.

Several years later ,I was called by GOD,I remembered that dialogue ,and I think it is a GOD given name just like GOD/Jesus changed Abraham, Israel ,Peters names, and I was chosen by GOD and is destined to be the Christian.

JohnDB

JohnDB

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,906 posts
  • Interests:Happily married to the love of my life since 12/1980
    RETURNING THE CHURCH TO ITS HEBREW ROOTS

Grace of Yah

God head

Praise God

My parents did not have this in mind either. They essentially named me after a cousin who has a different last name.

Think I'll keep it.

Willamina

Willamina

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,953 posts
  • Interests:Birdwatching, Bible study
I think our parents give us our names, but God promises those who overcome a new name in Rev.2:17 He renamed a lot of people. Jacob was named Israel, Saul was named Paul, Simon was named Peter.

I still like the name tigger. When our son was three we called him tigger because he would bouncy bouncy all around the house. It brings back fond memories. I like some old ladies names and unique names, which is why I chose Willamina, my grandma's name. I also like Viola. But some I don't like as well are Gertrude, Agnus and Madeline.

HiddenLight

HiddenLight
  • Members
  • 5 posts
  • Interests:Learning about God, Reading, Poetry, Drawing, Family and pets<3, other geeky stuff..

I don't hate or dislike my name just a lot of girls have it so get's confusing or boring after a while. I was going have my name after my grandma on my dad's side but my mom changed it last minute. 

19Duggarfan

19Duggarfan

Veteran Member

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 853 posts
  • Interests:Bible, Christian History,
    Running, Football

Tigger it is not the name itself, as much as how person the present themselves.  For if one present themselves will, they will have a good name.

A good name is rather to be chosen than great riches, and loving favour rather than silver and gold.   Proverbs 22:1

And from what I have seen here on Worthy, you have a very good name,  When God looks at your name, He sees that you have trusted in the Name of His Son, Acts 4:12; and reminds us:

Notwithstanding in this rejoice not, that the spirits are subject unto you; but rather rejoice because your names are written in heaven.  Luke 10:20   Our names are written in heaven, and if God writes any name down, that name has a far greater beauty than any earthly name.

Butero

Butero

Royal Member

• Royal Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,665 posts
  • Interests:Religion, Politics, Music, Sports

I have the same name as my Father and my Grand-Father, so I am happy with it. 

LadyKay

LadyKay

Veteran Member

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 642 posts

I was named after a character from a tv  soap opera. :clap:

Dak

Dak

Veteran Member

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 592 posts
My real name is Arjay Araña, and according to my parents ARJAY stands for Araña Romeo Josephine And You :)

They thought my name is unique, but there are other Arjays in the world. I even found another Arjay Araña in Facebook.

My display name Dak is given to me by a brother here in Worthy, and came from my pseudonym Dakilang Pag-asa, a Filipino phrase that means "great hope."

~

Bethany

Bethany

• Platinum Member
  • PipPip
  • 161 posts
  • Interests:Medical Missions, Old Testament Studies, Jesus, Running, Swimming, Hiking, My Dog, Art of Strength (AOS), My Niblings (Nieces and Nephews).

My parents gave me the name of Bethany 1) because someone related to me that they love dearly was named Bertha and they didn't want to name Bertha (THANK GOODNESS!) 2) They like the meaning they found "House of God" ...I love my name. My brothers have biblical names as well. 

WIP

WIP

Veteran Member

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 675 posts

My real name is Colleen ..my Grandmother named me...she was Irish.

coheir

coheir

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,245 posts
  • Interests:Hunt, Fish, shoot pool, snooker read kjv read Worthy

my real name is Benny Ray my mom wanted to call me Ray so being born one day before my oldest brother turned 1 year she would try to get him to say Ray and he could only say Ro she would repeat and he would repeat Ro so I became RoRo.

1x1is1

1x1is1

Advanced Member

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 370 posts

I am a Jr.  But I did not name my son after me.  However, he did go on and name his son after him. 

MissPlaced_56

MissPlaced_56

Veteran Member

• Worthy Watchman
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 923 posts
  • Interests:EVERYTHING!!! and there peckin order is subject to change at a moments notice!!!

My Mother gave me my name,she was going for an aristacratic name,hoping i would be....LOL

there are 3 of us in the family with the same name...it get's kinda confusing when were all together in the same place..LOL

The only trouble i have is with my middle name....it used to mean something totally different then it does now.

murray007

murray007
  • Members
  • 14 posts

I think that these days there is more about trying to find a name that is unique, which in Australia at least has caused the authorities to reject some of the names parents are choosing for their newborns. Another factor that I believe causes poorly chosen names in this society is that there is a time frame in which we must register the name of our kids. I heard once that in ancient cultures, it would often take a long time for a child to be named, as the parents would watch the child, look at their temperament and personality and then choose a name that suited what they observed.

I like my name, and through most of school I would get annoyed with and sometimes ignored people who didn't use my proper, full, name. I'm not so rigid about it now, but now in the adult world, not many people try and use a nick-name for me.

kwikphilly

kwikphilly

Royal Member

• Royal Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,618 posts
  • Interests:My Heavenly Father,Jesus Christ,the Holy Spirit,the Bible,people,all Gods creatures(great,small & furry),from the sublime to the ridiculous,learning in general,artwork,animal trainer,cooking & eating,laughing

Blessings to All

I am surprised to hear what murray has said ,that authorities in Australia reject some names.......I wish some names in America were rejected,I am sometimes shocked by what I hear & feel bad that kids have to go through life with such names ........names that are much like the ones we used to place on the "roll call" list that the substitute teacher would call out loud & get embarrassed once she realized what the kids had done.........I think a lot of parents do not think of all the possibilities that a name can bring(good & bad)

I am okay with my birth name ,there is a long line of us in my family but I am known by "Kwik" from friends & family.......& it suits my personality

With love,Kwik

Only one name I do not like to see people name their kids,"Jesus".......I feel like only One is the Name above all names & no one is Worthy of the Name.....even though many were called by that name at the time Jesus walked this earth..........

MorningGlory

MorningGlory

Royal Member

• Royal Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 32,586 posts

Blessings to All

I am surprised to hear what murray has said ,that authorities in Australia reject some names.......I wish some names in America were rejected,I am sometimes shocked by what I hear & feel bad that kids have to go through life with such names ........names that are much like the ones we used to place on the "roll call" list that the substitute teacher would call out loud & get embarrassed once she realized what the kids had done.........I think a lot of parents do not think of all the possibilities that a name can bring(good & bad)

I am okay with my birth name ,there is a long line of us in my family but I am known by "Kwik" from friends & family.......& it suits my personality

With love,Kwik

Only one name I do not like to see people name their kids,"Jesus".......I feel like only One is the Name above all names & no one is Worthy of the Name.....even though many were called by that name at the time Jesus walked this earth..........

I'm in agreement there, Kwik.  Jesus should only refer to our Lord and I'm totally against naming children that.

kwikphilly

kwikphilly

Royal Member

• Royal Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,618 posts
  • Interests:My Heavenly Father,Jesus Christ,the Holy Spirit,the Bible,people,all Gods creatures(great,small & furry),from the sublime to the ridiculous,learning in general,artwork,animal trainer,cooking & eating,laughing

Hey Sis Morning Glory!

I am so glad you said that .......

I'm in agreement there, Kwik.  Jesus should only refer to our Lord and I'm totally against naming children that.                                           posted by Morning Glory

I was expecting some flack right away,,,,,,,,,to me it is like naming a child"I Am" or "Yahweh".......no different?

With love -in Christ,Kwik

other one

other one

Royal Member

• Royal Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,720 posts
  • Interests:camping computers

one of my daughters closest high school friends married a Jesus, and every time we get something in the mail from them it kind of freaks me out.  When she posts on FaceBook that her and Jesus took the family to do this and that it just makes my mind go a little crazy.

I agree, it shouldn't be done.

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Worthy Christian Forums - Christian Message Boards - 1999-2014 part of the Worthy Network