christian forums

Worthy Christian Forums - Christian Forums

Welcome to Worthy Christian Forums
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Dog tore up my Bible

* * * * * 1 votes

• Please log in to reply
28 replies to this topic

Deuteronomy

Deuteronomy
  • Members
  • 8 posts
My dog has torn up two of my bible's in the last few months. The first time was my bible from when I was a kid in sunday school. I figured it for a random target and have since trained him not to chew. Figured he was just a teething pup. Came home yesterday to find my other bible (I recieved for confirmation) torn up, scattered around the living room...

It was sitting on my coffee table with a stack of books and magazines.

What sort of weirds me out is nothing else in the room besides a tipped over houseplant was ruined.

Do you think he just likes the thin paper or is there an explanation for this?

Anyone else had a similar experience?

Fez

Fez

Royal Member

• Servant
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,369 posts
  • Interests:Many and varied. Any technology with blinking and flashing lights, no matter what it does...

Couple of questions if you don't mind, just to get to know you better.

Who is the Lord Jesus Christ to you?

What does your faith mean to you?

Deuteronomy

Deuteronomy
  • Members
  • 8 posts

Sorry Fez I was away from my computer. How long does it take to auto logout?

My lord is whom I turn to when I am lost. He is the reason for my actions and the light that guides my path. Even in the darkest of times it's comforting knowing I have someone to talk to.

My faith means a lot to me. I don't let it control my life but I do let it influence the decisions I make on a daily basis.

Not sure what this has to do with my dog, but I answered your questions. This place is confusing...

Willamina

Willamina

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,967 posts
  • Interests:Birdwatching, Bible study
We inherited a dog that chewed up his master's bible. I have had two chewed on by other puppies, both Boston Terriers. They seemed to get over that by the time they were a year to 18 months old. Just teathing. So we gave them rawhide chew bones to work on instead. They like cow hoofs as well,, but they stink. Both are available at pet stors and feed and grain stores.

I have to add that furniature cushions, a car arm rest, yarn, rubber bands and toilet paper have also been favorites as well as our kids' bubble gum left on dinner plates and wa strung from both paws and both ears.

giggling appy

giggling appy

Advanced Member

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 354 posts

You didn't say what breed you have. Some breeds are bred for the purpose of doing a job and when they don't have a job to do or get enough exercise they will create something to do out of boredom. Your dog may simply need more exercise. A tired dog, is a good dog. Also dogs by nature are social creatures and prefer company. What starts out as a comfort and reminder of you when you are away, ends up getting carried away through chewing.

Many toys are helpful in keeping a pet busy. A “kong” toy filled with peanut butter then put in the freezer till frozen, will help keep your dog busy for a while so it is not finding your things to chew on.

Rustyangel

Rustyangel

Royal Member

• Worthy Chat Servant
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,356 posts
  • Interests:Dog training, fellowshipping with my family at Worthy. Worshiping the Lord in song. Sharing Jesus with those who do not know Him.

My first question is how old is your dog.  If he is a puppy be ready for things to get chewed  Keep things out of his reach and then get  him things to chew on.  NO RAWHIDE!  it can be very dangerous.Get him some cow bones from your butcher.  boil them to get all the marrow out out of them and they will last him forever.  I have cow bones my dogs have had for three or four years.  Don't give him old shoes or socks, they don't know the difference between the old and the new.   they will grow out of the chewing state and they have to be taught.  Under no circumstances hit them or yell and scream at them.  It will only make things worse.  If you have any questions e-mail me here  and I will try and help you.

Because He Lives!  Rustyangel/Faith Ann

shiloh357

shiloh357

Royal Member

• Royal Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 32,487 posts
  • Interests:Israel Advocacy Bible Study, Apologetics, Theology, Camping, Hiking, Fishing, Birdwatching, BBQing

Yes, i would buy a new Bible and keep it out of his reach and I would get him some good safe chew toys.or the cow bones that Rusty suggested. 

OakWood

OakWood

Royal Member

• Royal Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,462 posts
  • Interests:Archery, painting, plants and animals, Medieval history

The dog ate it? Isn't that the excuse that Obama used to explain those missing emails?

Welcome to Worthy, by the way.

J.Winnfield

J.Winnfield
  • Seeker
  • 12 posts

Assuming the dog is a puppy, you'll have to keep "temptation" out of reach.  I'm still in the midst of a teething German shepherd pup.  If an adult dog, then something may be wrong and you have to find out what...lonliness, lack of attention, etc

angels4u

angels4u

Royal Member

• Worthy Watchman
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,959 posts

My dog has torn up two of my bible's in the last few months. The first time was my bible from when I was a kid in sunday school. I figured it for a random target and have since trained him not to chew. Figured he was just a teething pup. Came home yesterday to find my other bible (I recieved for confirmation) torn up, scattered around the living room...

It was sitting on my coffee table with a stack of books and magazines.

What sort of weirds me out is nothing else in the room besides a tipped over houseplant was ruined.

Do you think he just likes the thin paper or is there an explanation for this?

Anyone else had a similar experience?

Welcome :)  

Cletus

Cletus

Veteran Member

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 545 posts
It could also (maybe) be your smell on the book that made it desirable for the dog. Dogs sence of smell develops first and is how they identify the world.

Butero

Butero

Royal Member

• Royal Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,676 posts
  • Interests:Religion, Politics, Music, Sports

I just think he likes tearing up paper.  Just make sure to keep books, especially the Bible, out of his reach.

LadyKay

LadyKay

Veteran Member

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 642 posts

My dog pulled $5.00 out of my coat pocket and ate it.

other one

other one

Royal Member

• Royal Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,809 posts
  • Interests:camping computers

After reading your posts, I now have a few more reasons to like cats....    I've never heard of a cat destroying a bible.....  

Grabbing the end of a roll of toilet paper and TP'ing the inside of a house,,,,,   yes....   eating a Bible   no.

J.Winnfield

J.Winnfield
  • Seeker
  • 12 posts

After reading your posts, I now have a few more reasons to like cats....    I've never heard of a cat destroying a bible.....  

Grabbing the end of a roll of toilet paper and TP'ing the inside of a house,,,,,   yes....   eating a Bible   no.

Don't get me wrong, brother, but cats are not without "sin"  lol..............years ago I was typing up my thesis, stacked the finished pages in order on my desk; left for the dayand come back to about 60 pages with the corners all perforated.  I had a great cat who adored perforating the corners of pages, magazines and newspapers....she wouldn't tear them up, just worked the corners

Butero

Butero

Royal Member

• Royal Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,676 posts
  • Interests:Religion, Politics, Music, Sports

All I have is cats, and they can be very destructive to paper.  I had one cat that loved to get hold of a piece of paper and chew it into little bitty pieces and leave the mess all over the floor.

other one

other one

Royal Member

• Royal Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,809 posts
  • Interests:camping computers

Don't get me wrong, brother, but cats are not without "sin"  lol..............years ago I was typing up my thesis, stacked the finished pages in order on my desk; left for the dayand come back to about 60 pages with the corners all perforated.  I had a great cat who adored perforating the corners of pages, magazines and newspapers....she wouldn't tear them up, just worked the corners

i think that's why cats let us invent memory writers and then computers..

Fez

Fez

Royal Member

• Servant
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,369 posts
  • Interests:Many and varied. Any technology with blinking and flashing lights, no matter what it does...

Sorry Fez I was away from my computer. How long does it take to auto logout?

My lord is whom I turn to when I am lost. He is the reason for my actions and the light that guides my path. Even in the darkest of times it's comforting knowing I have someone to talk to.

My faith means a lot to me. I don't let it control my life but I do let it influence the decisions I make on a daily basis.

Not sure what this has to do with my dog, but I answered your questions. This place is confusing...

Thank you for your answers. Yes it can be confusing, but it makes it easier when we know each other a bit better. It is also a Ministry site. It is what we do, minister. So in that vein, you say Your lord "is whom I turn to when I am lost". When do you feel lost brother, what makes you feel lost? Do you for instance believe that Jesus died for your sins and rose again, and will return to claim His bride?

If so, you have no reason to feel lost, you have already been found.

And as to not letting your faith control you? What do you mean by that? Brother your faith should be the only thing you live in. It is not something you can switch on and off when you feel it is "controlling" you. Can you see what I mean?

See what I mean about getting to know one another?

God Bless.

kwikphilly

kwikphilly

Royal Member

• Royal Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,624 posts
  • Interests:My Heavenly Father,Jesus Christ,the Holy Spirit,the Bible,people,all Gods creatures(great,small & furry),from the sublime to the ridiculous,learning in general,artwork,animal trainer,cooking & eating,laughing

Blessings Dueteronomy

Welcome to Worthy!  Of course,your question is suggesting the possibility of spiritual warfare,which no one has touched the subject but I will address it briefly.......very briefly because it does not deserve much attention......yeah,there could be something up with the animal tearing up Bibles....I am a professional animal trainer,from any critter to dogs,cats,horses & there are some very logical explanations (mainly that they have your scent all over them)......& then there is the illogical,or possible demonic influence?

Don't give it much thought........cover yourself,your home,your possessions ,your animals with the Blood of Christ........& that is it,,,,,,I don't care where the dog came from,how old it is ,who it's previous owner/breeder was etc.......he is now your pet & living in a house that serves the Lord!!!!!!I have came across many a "strange "animal that has done many a "strange"things in my lifetime & I simply laid hands on them & prayed........thats it,we serve the Great I Am,fear not for He is with thee......I hope that answered your question,,,,,,,,

Keep everything out of reach during those teething years & there is a very good "aid" you can purchase ,it is called "dog away"......simply spray the scent(very unpleasant for dogs virtuously odorless to humans)wherever you do not want the dog near,the best way to train a dog(any animal) is to let it's enviornment be the teacher).....rawhide,animal hooves(cow & horse) & ONLY shin bones are the best ........if you wet rawhide to make one end soft it will encourage chewing                                                                                  With love-in Christ,Kwik

The reason people are not crazy about rawhide chews is because you must give the animal the appropriate size ......a larger dog can easily choke on a rawhide chew that is too small,this is also why we encourage owners to wet the rawhide & soften it.....you need not worry about digestion,dogs do not digest as people do ,,,,they produce gastric acids that can virtually break down anything that reaches the stomach,,,,,,,,,,you just have to be careful of anything that can get lodged on the way down,,,,,

Diatheosis

Diatheosis

Advanced Member

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 353 posts
  • Interests:God's supernatural reality in action, Jesus walking amidst us, exposing the end time deception, biblical languages, prophetic.

some old school exorcism will probably spare you a bible or two.

Just kidding.

Dogs, cats, among other animals, not to forget children are pretty awesome in finding important things to be destroyed. Sort of a gift, I suppose.

I sometimes refer to my kids as those grass-hopper legions who fly over distances eating up what they pass.

Keep it secret, keep it safe. The bible I mean.

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Worthy Christian Forums - Christian Message Boards - 1999-2014 part of the Worthy Network