christian forums

Worthy Christian Forums - Christian Forums

Welcome to Worthy Christian Forums
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

St. John's Gospel

* * * * * 1 votes when who

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
5 replies to this topic

JTC

JTC

Veteran Member

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 828 posts

I really didn't think this should be in the controversy section, but I have a feeling it's going to become a controversy.

The questions are when do we think John's Gospel was written, and by who?

FresnoJoe

FresnoJoe

Royal Member

• Worthy Watchman
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 43,901 posts

:thumbsup:

Written By God

All scripture is given by inspiration of God, and is profitable for doctrine, for reproof, for correction, for instruction in righteousness:

That the man of God may be perfect, throughly furnished unto all good works. 2 Timothy 3:16-17

Through His Servant

Now the names of the twelve apostles are these; The first, Simon, who is called Peter, and Andrew his brother; James the son of Zebedee, and John his brother; Matthew 10:2

Brother John

Then Peter, turning about, seeth the disciple whom Jesus loved following; which also leaned on his breast at supper, and said, Lord, which is he that betrayeth thee? Peter seeing him saith to Jesus, Lord, and what shall this man do?

Jesus saith unto him, If I will that he tarry till I come, what is that to thee? follow thou me.

Then went this saying abroad among the brethren, that that disciple should not die: yet Jesus said not unto him, He shall not die; but, If I will that he tarry till I come, what is that to thee?

This is the disciple which testifieth of these things, and wrote these things: and we know that his testimony is true. John 21:20-24

kwikphilly

kwikphilly

Royal Member

• Royal Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,512 posts

Blessings

Authorship
Main article: Authorship of the Johannine works

The gospel identifies its author as "the disciple whom Jesus loved." Although the text does not name this disciple, by the beginning of the 2nd century, a tradition had begun to form which identified him with John the Apostle, one of the Twelve (Jesus' innermost circle). Although some notable New Testament scholars affirm traditional Johannine scholarship,[7][8] the majority do not believe that John or one of the Apostles wrote it,[9][10][11][12][13][14] and trace it instead to a "Johannine community" which traced its traditions to John; the gospel itself shows signs of having been composed in three "layers", reaching its final form about 90–100 AD.[15][16] According to Victorinus[17] and Irenaeus,[18] the Bishops of Asia Minor requested John, in his old age, to write a gospel in response to Cerinthus, the Ebionites and other Jewish Christian groups which they deemed heretical.[19] This understanding remained in place until the end of the 18th century.[20]

The earliest manuscripts to contain the beginning of the gospel (Papyrus 66 and Papyrus 75), dating from around the year 200, entitled "The Gospel according to John".

According to some, the Gospel of John developed over a period of time in various stages,[21] summarized by Raymond E. Brown as follows:[22]

An initial version based on personal experience of Jesus;
    A structured literary creation by the evangelist which draws upon additional sources;
    The final harmony that presently exists in the New Testament canon, around 85–90 AD.[23]

Within this view of a complex and multi-layered history, it is meaningless to speak of a single "author" of John, but the title perhaps belongs best to the evangelist who came at the end of this process.[24] The final composition's comparatively late date, and its insistence upon Jesus as a divine being walking the earth in human form, renders it highly problematical to scholars who attempt to evaluate Jesus' life in terms of literal historical truth.[25][26]                      wikapedia

Personally,I believe it is the God Breathed,,inspired Word written through John,"the Disciple who Jesus Loves"

With love-in Christ,Kwik

GoldenEagle

GoldenEagle

Royal Member

• Royal Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,501 posts

I really didn't think this should be in the controversy section, but I have a feeling it's going to become a controversy.

Who do you JTC think wrote the Gospel of John and when do you think it was written?

Here's some thoughts...

The Gospel of John was written by John the Apostle. It is the 4th Gospel in the Bible.

John 21:24 gives indication that the author identifies himself as the "disciple who Jesus loved".

The literary style is similar to 1 John, 2 John, 3 John, and Revelation.

The Gospel of John focuses a lot on Christ's divinity and the miracles Jesus performed.

Since there's no mention of the destruction of the Temple it is likely this Gospel was written AD 50–70.

The author of John also knew Jerusalem well, as is evident from the geographic and place name information throughout the book. He mentions, among others, the Sheep Gate Pool (Bethesda), the Siloam Pool and Jacob’s Well. The geographic specificity lends credence to the John’s account.

God bless,

GE

JTC

JTC

Veteran Member

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 828 posts

After I posted this, I realized I can't do what I wanted because we have many new and baby Christians here. What I wanted to discuss isn't something for folks new to the faith. So the controversy has been canceled. However, this still leaves me with some nagging issues and no one who I can discuss it with.

OneLight

OneLight

Royal Member

• Servant
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 27,126 posts

Well, seems like the best resolve is to close the thread.

Worthy Christian Forums - Christian Message Boards - 1999-2014 part of the Worthy Network