christian forums

Worthy Christian Forums - Christian Forums

Welcome to Worthy Christian Forums
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

A questioner...significant factors

* * * * * 1 votes

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
24 replies to this topic

J.Winnfield

J.Winnfield
  • Seeker
  • 12 posts

I was a draftee, did 2 tours in RVN....was a bit of a mess when I came home in '72.  As I said, abit of a mess.......certain music helped me a great  deal...the music was Grateful Dead.  What say ye?

Cletus

Cletus

Veteran Member

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 722 posts
I suffer with ptsd. If something helps it helps. Jesus Christ has been the only help I have had in this struggle. I am not familiar with the greatful deads music. I choose praise and worship music personally. Get in to worship mode and I have calm.

J.Winnfield

J.Winnfield
  • Seeker
  • 12 posts

Thanks Cletus....

Fez

Fez

Royal Member

• Servant
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,659 posts

I was a draftee, did 2 tours in RVN....was a bit of a mess when I came home in '72.  As I said, abit of a mess.......certain music helped me a great  deal...the music was Grateful Dead.  What say ye?

Who is the Lord Jesus Christ to you right now?

Do you believe He died for your sins?

J.Winnfield

J.Winnfield
  • Seeker
  • 12 posts

Who is the Lord Jesus Christ to you right now?

Do you believe He died for your sins?

To answer your question honestly, I don't know.... I believe he was a man who righted wrongs and offerred comfort to those in need....he is someone to not ignore, I'm not at the tipping point as yet

Diatheosis

Diatheosis

Advanced Member

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 375 posts

to be sure of being a grateful dead at a time, it is recommended one gets to know what's really inside of us and why. I am not the kind of Bible bashing guy for someone who is not for it, but giving it time and space, our relationship to the Creator will usually get clarified. It's like those people long time ago who retreated to the deserts to seek God, and they most certainly found Him, in a way that still inspires millions of people today.

So I am happy you recognize some value in Jesus and do not totally oppose what He is for, there are those as well, strange to tell, Jesus' example is par excellence up to the date (and will be). Yet I should know, once I was lost in the dark. Good music was keeping me together to some extent, but it could not solve the struggle I was having inside. Not a single religion or philosophy had the power to do that. It does not work that way. You need a deep personal relationship, which can become reality through a revelation from Christ.

But as said, no further intentions for shoving anything down your throat, all I've got to offer is my experience. I do sympathize with you, though. Music still is of high importance in my life. Just that it's the music empowered by the Glory of Jesus. Hope one day you will find it too, but each by their own faith.

God bless.

other one

other one

Royal Member

• Royal Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 24,651 posts

When Jesus was here, Satan met him out in the desert and offered him all the kingdoms of the world if Jesus would worship him....   Jesus said no.

So it was/is obvious that Satan has a lot short term to offer people and he still does to this day.    He seeks whomever he can.

So, I say that to say this.   it's no big secret that the dark side who is doing the will of the devil to help people in need.....    I'm 67 and a product of that time and had many friends come back from there and needed to get their heads back on strait.....   Question is, if the dark side helps you get your head back on strait, can you be sure they didn't help you get it on backwards?

I personally am not familiar with Grateful Dead's music, it's because it offended my spirit what little I had to be around it......    but I'm also not judgmental for I know people who wouldn't accept Jesus as their Lord until after they had met Satan.....    Most of us have to accept Jesus on faith, but you can discover Lucifer face to face if you are very unlucky and go looking for him.

LovelyJoni

LovelyJoni
  • Members
  • 58 posts
I've never listened to greatful dead or whatever lol. But before I got saved I listened to some bad stuff. Once I began reading my bible and (I think I cried for 3 wks straight) I deleted all my old music and only listen to Christian music now. I had no desire for the old music, I had found out the truth. I found out this world was crazy and sin sick and now I have joy and peace especially when I study the Word. But I also feel like an alien here, everything I believed all my life was a lie and it's so sad to see most people are still living that lie. I pray for them and hope one day I can help addicts find Jesus because that's what I was...an addict who needed Jesus. And now He's my father, my comforter and my best friend. I'm so blessed all Glory to God, Hallelujah!!!

Edited by LovelyJoni, 09 July 2014 - 01:43 PM.

Macs Son

Macs Son

Advanced Member

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 270 posts

You may have been drafted but I'm sure your 2nd tour was for your brothers, brother. Did it seem like the whole world had a party while you were away? I couldn't relate to anyone after I got out - I just had so little in common. I did, however, found the Lord in 72' or more accurately He found me. And it was the Lord who forged me and remade me. Now I didn't understand the love of Christ back then, or that His love was personal and that He gave His life for me. I only knew this truth, that I was a sinner and not the kid my family knew or my high school friends either. The moment He drew me was when our Chaplain told us about a young kid that had just been awarded the CMH by jumping on a grenade meant for him and his buddies. Then he quoted these words of Jesus to us

John 15:12-14
This is My commandment, that you love one another as I have loved you. Greater love has no one than this, than to lay down one’s life for his friends. You are My friends if you do whatever I command you.

"What that young man did his friend will never forget, he said. "But have you forgotten the terrible price Christ paid for you? He not only died for you but He took your sins upon Himself. His Father could not even bare to look upon Him as He cried out Father, Father why hast thou forsaken me? Yet you who will not come to Him turn your back on Christ who calls you. If you hear the Spirit calling you will you once again dishonor Him by turning your back on Him once again?"
I could not and that day aboard the USS Intrepid I asked Jesus to do what I could not do - save myself and become the Lord of my life as I confessed Him to all as my Lord and Savior. I had a lot of help from a pilot who coached me through the Bible and I also had a lot of bumps along the way but that day my life changed forever. I was bathed in the truth and love of Christ and I was home, where hundreds of generations of others before me call home - in the bosom of Christ.

You said you like music. Me too! I played guitar in rock bands on Long Island before going in the Service in 69. We once played right before this Band called the Hassels, that included this young keyboard player by the name of Billy Joel. He was so good even back then, though just a kid a few years older than me. A lot of the guys were deadheads in 72 but I wasn't and after I became a Christian I discovered some very early Christian contemporary worship that I took to right away. Now I sing and play just to worship the Lord. There's some great Christian songs that draw you in to just worshipping the Lord.

**Link removed**

May the Lord Bless your evening, Pat

Edited by ncn, 10 July 2014 - 03:31 AM.
** Please do not post video links outside of the video forum**

kwikphilly

kwikphilly

Royal Member

• Royal Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,174 posts

Blessings J.Winnfield!

I don't know about you but my mind is still reeling around story about the kid that jumped on the grenade that Macs Son(Pat) just shared with all of us......to God be the Glory!I have not much to say after listening to the little (but powerful) testimony by Pat(thanks Brother & God Bless you!)

You see JW,nobody here is going to think much about what Grateful Dead does to SOOTHE your soul.....we are concerned much more about what will SAVE your soul...................Jesus does love you & so do we!

Hey JW,thank you for protecting us & for serving our country.....you have given so much for all of us & you are appreciated.........you were willing to give your life for us ,for our freedom..........that is so much like Jesus,He gave His life for our freedom too you know?He is the Way,the Truth & the Life & I just pray you will get to know Him......God Bless you!                                                                            With love,in Christ,Kwik

Macs Son

Macs Son

Advanced Member

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 270 posts

Blessings J.Winnfield!
     I don't know about you but my mind is still reeling around story about the kid that jumped on the grenade that Macs Son(Pat) just shared with all of us......to God be the Glory!I have not much to say after listening to the little (but powerful) testimony by Pat(thanks Brother & God Bless you!)
      You see JW,nobody here is going to think much about what Grateful Dead does to SOOTHE your soul.....we are concerned much more about what will SAVE your soul...................Jesus does love you & so do we!
      Hey JW,thank you for protecting us & for serving our country.....you have given so much for all of us & you are appreciated.........you were willing to give your life for us ,for our freedom..........that is so much like Jesus,He gave His life for our freedom too you know?He is the Way,the Truth & the Life & I just pray you will get to know Him......God Bless you!                                                                            With love,in Christ,Kwik

Amen, my sister! That is my prayer for you too J. We only get this one life and it is short but full and complete in the love of God.
Jesus is mighty to save us and He will not forsake us. His love surpasses all else and makes our hearts strong in Him that we too may have the courage to follow where He leads us. And while some may fear to tread there know this, you are never stronger than when you are walking in the will of God in obedience to His love.
May Christ be with you, Pat

J.Winnfield

J.Winnfield
  • Seeker
  • 12 posts

You may have been drafted but I'm sure your 2nd tour was for your brothers, brother. Did it seem like the whole world had a party while you were away? I couldn't relate to anyone after I got out - I just had so little in common. I did, however, found the Lord in 72' or more accurately He found me. And it was the Lord who forged me and remade me. Now I didn't understand the love of Christ back then, or that His love was personal and that He gave His life for me. I only knew this truth, that I was a sinner and not the kid my family knew or my high school friends either. The moment He drew me was when our Chaplain told us about a young kid that had just been awarded the CMH by jumping on a grenade meant for him and his buddies. Then he quoted these words of Jesus to us

John 15:12-14
This is My commandment, that you love one another as I have loved you. Greater love has no one than this, than to lay down one’s life for his friends. You are My friends if you do whatever I command you.

"What that young man did his friend will never forget, he said. "But have you forgotten the terrible price Christ paid for you? He not only died for you but He took your sins upon Himself. His Father could not even bare to look upon Him as He cried out Father, Father why hast thou forsaken me? Yet you who will not come to Him turn your back on Christ who calls you. If you hear the Spirit calling you will you once again dishonor Him by turning your back on Him once again?"
I could not and that day aboard the USS Intrepid I asked Jesus to do what I could not do - save myself and become the Lord of my life as I confessed Him to all as my Lord and Savior. I had a lot of help from a pilot who coached me through the Bible and I also had a lot of bumps along the way but that day my life changed forever. I was bathed in the truth and love of Christ and I was home, where hundreds of generations of others before me call home - in the bosom of Christ.

You said you like music. Me too! I played guitar in rock bands on Long Island before going in the Service in 69. We once played right before this Band called the Hassels, that included this young keyboard player by the name of Billy Joel. He was so good even back then, though just a kid a few years older than me. A lot of the guys were deadheads in 72 but I wasn't and after I became a Christian I discovered some very early Christian contemporary worship that I took to right away. Now I sing and play just to worship the Lord. There's some great Christian songs that draw you in to just worshipping the Lord.

**Link removed**

May the Lord Bless your evening, Pat

If I knew how, I'd rep you Brother...yeah, the 2nd was for my brothers. Thank you

Edited by ncn, 10 July 2014 - 03:33 AM.
** Please do not post video links outside of the video forum even when quoting another member**

ncn

ncn

Royal Member

• Servant
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,774 posts

All videos must be placed in the video forum for approval, this includes Christian music. 

Please also keep in mind the following when posting any video. 

When you want to post a video, please remember that this is a ministry and that the videos that will be approved must be Christ centred. 

We realize that there are a lot of cute and interesting videos out there that do no harm to our walk in Christ, yet they have their place in Facebook, Google Groups and the like and need not be displayed on this ministries site.**

The focus of this site is to point people to Christ Your videos must meet this requirement.  Please keep this in mind when posting.

http://www.worthychr...deos/?p=2099714

God Bless.

Nigel. 

Macs Son

Macs Son

Advanced Member

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 270 posts

All videos must be placed in the video forum for approval, this includes Christian music. 

Please also keep in mind the following when posting any video. 

When you want to post a video, please remember that this is a ministry and that the videos that will be approved must be Christ centred. 
We realize that there are a lot of cute and interesting videos out there that do no harm to our walk in Christ, yet they have their place in Facebook, Google Groups and the like and need not be displayed on this ministries site.**

The focus of this site is to point people to Christ Your videos must meet this requirement.  Please keep this in mind when posting.

http://www.worthychr...deos/?p=2099714

God Bless.

Nigel.

Hi Nigel,
Sorry I was not aware of the rule but won't happen again. Have a great day in Christ.
Pat

JTC

JTC

Veteran Member

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 827 posts

Hey J.Winnfield,  I was lucky with the draft. The year I turned 18 the lottery came out, and my number was high. So I got to stay here. But I became quite a mess anyway. One night while sitting alone in my car, I had Workingman's Dead playing and the song New Speedway Boogie was on. The line about one way or another this darkness has got to go, helped me that night. So I was a Dead Head many years. I started noticing a lot of their songs mentioned names from the Bible. But I was anti Bible at the time. I once heard their name Grateful Dead has connections with the occult, but I still loved their music. I learned rather late that they were best in concert, and they needed Garcia. For me, Garcia's death was the end of the Dead. So many of them died untimely deaths, I wondered if they were grateful to be dead? They must have been fascinated by God and the Bible to do so many songs that mentioned names from the Bible. But they also knew of the evil one too, aka Satan.

I had been raised Catholic but became like an atheist when I was 18. I wanted to see the things in this world I wasn't supposed to see. Not the occult, I stayed away from that, but I wanted to see the dark side of humanity. I did in my 20's. I became convinced Satan is real, and if he's real, God must be real too. So either God called to me or I went in search of Him. I wanted God to prove to me He is real, and He did it in ways only I knew were happening. I got a Bible and it took me 3 years to read it. That was 32 years ago, and I'm not thrilled with my life, but I don't blame God. I know this much, when I die, I want to be grateful I'm dead. I want to be with God. In many ways the music of the Dead lead me to God. So I have nothing against their music. But there is an all powerful Being and we all need to find Him for ourselves. You came here and made a post. I'd say you just took step 1. I bet from now on, you're always going to have God on your mind, until you join up with the rest of us.

LadyC

LadyC

Royal Member

• Royal Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,797 posts

well hey, i'm familiar with the grateful dead's music, and i LOVE it. even to this day i love it. one of my favorite classic rock bands. oh, good memories.

i know you say you're not at the 'tipping' point yet, but perhaps you might consider listening to some contemporary christian music. you know very well how music can soothe frayed nerves, tattered emotions, traumatic stress. music that glorifies God will amplify that soothing feeling and will help bring healing to your soul, because it will bring you closer to the Comfortor. of course, not just any christian music, but some that has a beat you can enjoy. if you're a 'deadhead' you aren't going to want to listen to christian rap, or christian metal.

Butero

Butero

Royal Member

• Royal Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,852 posts

What are we supposed to say in response to your question?  First of all, thank you for your service to this country.  Music can certainly be helpful in changing our mood.  When Saul was tormented by a demonic spirit, he would have David play his harp, and it made him feel better.  I am a truck driver, and listening to music I enjoy can help me get down the road.  I am not much of a fan of the Grateful Dead.  They are just not my style.  I would be more into CCR than the Grateful Dead.  If it helps, why not? 

CurtisCWilson

CurtisCWilson

• PipPip
  • 121 posts

Brother, I am probably in your age bracket. I took my chances in the draft about 1968 and but was never drafted. If you want real freedom from your past and  I am sure from some pretty horrible things you saw and witness then there is man that can help you greatly. His name is Jesus as you probably already know. This man delivered me from drug addiction and many many other awful things I was doing.  I could not escape their hold on me, or their memories of them. If you want to meet him this is how you do it.

Rom 10:9  That if thou shalt confess with thy mouth the Lord Jesus, and shalt believe in thine heart that God hath raised him from the dead, thou shalt be saved. 
Rom 10:10  For with the heart man believeth unto righteousness; and with the mouth confession is made unto salvation. 

I did this about 38 years ago, and it is the best thing I have ever done in my life. Nothing compares to the peace the Lord gives to those who come unto him. I can see the Lord calling you unto himself just by the fact you are here. I encourage to do what he asks. It will change every thing about you.

Edited by CurtisCWilson, 03 August 2014 - 09:50 PM.

unno-Dey

unno-Dey
  • Seeker
  • 7 posts

Hey J.Winnfield,  I was lucky with the draft. The year I turned 18 the lottery came out, and my number was high. So I got to stay here. But I became quite a mess anyway. One night while sitting alone in my car, I had Workingman's Dead playing and the song New Speedway Boogie was on. The line about one way or another this darkness has got to go, helped me that night. So I was a Dead Head many years. I started noticing a lot of their songs mentioned names from the Bible. But I was anti Bible at the time. I once heard their name Grateful Dead has connections with the occult, but I still loved their music. I learned rather late that they were best in concert, and they needed Garcia. For me, Garcia's death was the end of the Dead. So many of them died untimely deaths, I wondered if they were grateful to be dead? They must have been fascinated by God and the Bible to do so many songs that mentioned names from the Bible. But they also knew of the evil one too, aka Satan.

I had been raised Catholic but became like an atheist when I was 18. I wanted to see the things in this world I wasn't supposed to see. Not the occult, I stayed away from that, but I wanted to see the dark side of humanity. I did in my 20's. I became convinced Satan is real, and if he's real, God must be real too. So either God called to me or I went in search of Him. I wanted God to prove to me He is real, and He did it in ways only I knew were happening. I got a Bible and it took me 3 years to read it. That was 32 years ago, and I'm not thrilled with my life, but I don't blame God. I know this much, when I die, I want to be grateful I'm dead. I want to be with God. In many ways the music of the Dead lead me to God. So I have nothing against their music. But there is an all powerful Being and we all need to find Him for ourselves. You came here and made a post. I'd say you just took step 1. I bet from now on, you're always going to have God on your mind, until you join up with the rest of us.

Hello! I would be interested in knowing how you became convinced in Satan's existence. I am currently unsure of religion in general, and I was raised as a Christian but drifted from it gradually, so that sounds a bit similar to some of your story.

other one

other one

Royal Member

• Royal Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 24,651 posts

Hello! I would be interested in knowing how you became convinced in Satan's existence. I am currently unsure of religion in general, and I was raised as a Christian but drifted from it gradually, so that sounds a bit similar to some of your story.

JTC you need to be very careful how you answer that question.....   no one (either unno or any of the others) need any incentive to meet the dark one.

Worthy Christian Forums - Christian Message Boards - 1999-2014 part of the Worthy Network