christian forums

Worthy Christian Forums - Christian Forums

Welcome to Worthy Christian Forums
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Reference Question

* * * * * 1 votes Nature of God Trials Reference

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

Teyla

Teyla
  • Members
  • 9 posts
  • Interests:The world and all which lies therein.

When people say that  "God only allows as much as you can handle"  in a "trial," what verse(s) in the Bible do they frame this statement around?

Hippie333

Hippie333

Veteran Member

• Servant
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 605 posts
  • Interests:Christ, studying the Bible, my family....I am an artist ( for a living) and I like to airbrush and pinstripe. I also do steel art. I also enjoy playing the guitar and throwing Fruit Loops at my (4) kids :)

1Corinthians  10:13  No temptation has taken you but what is common to man; but God is faithful, who will not allow you to be tempted above what you are able, but with the temptation also will make a way to escape, so that you may be able to bear it.

shiloh357

shiloh357

Royal Member

• Royal Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 32,249 posts
  • Interests:Israel Advocacy Bible Study, Apologetics, Theology, Camping, Hiking, Fishing, Birdwatching, BBQing

When people say that  "God only allows as much as you can handle"  in a "trial," what verse(s) in the Bible do they frame this statement around?

yes, as Hippie said I Cor. 10:13 is the verse they go to.  But it isn't saying that God only allows as much as you can handle.  If that were the case, God would not need to provide a way of escape.  God always allows us to undergo more than we can handle so that we will turn to Him.   If he only allows as much as I can handle, then I handle it and He doesn't.   In short it is a misinterpretation of that verse.

Persuaded

Persuaded
  • Members
  • 75 posts
The idea of a hedge around a believer is in Job 1:
9 Then Satan answered the LORD, and said, Doth Job fear God for nought?
10 Hast not thou made an hedge about him, and about his house, and about all that he hath on every side? thou hast blessed the work of his hands, and his substance is increased in the land.
11 But put forth thine hand now, and touch all that he hath, and he will curse thee to thy face.
12 And the LORD said unto Satan, Behold, all that he hath [is] in thy power; only upon himself put not forth thine hand. So Satan went forth from the presence of the LORD.

By this, I take it to mean that our trials are "father-filtered".

FresnoJoe

FresnoJoe

Royal Member

• Worthy Watchman
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 42,096 posts
  • Interests:The LORD bless thee, and keep thee: The LORD make his face shine upon thee, and be gracious unto thee: The LORD lift up his countenance upon thee, and give thee peace. And they shall put my name upon the children of Israel; and I will bless them. Numbers 6:24-27 - - - Love, Your Brother Joe

yes, as Hippie said I Cor. 10:13 is the verse they go to.  But it isn't saying that God only allows as much as you can handle.  If that were the case, God would not need to provide a way of escape.  God always allows us to undergo more than we can handle so that we will turn to Him.   If he only allows as much as I can handle, then I handle it and He doesn't.   In short it is a misinterpretation of that verse.

:thumbsup:

A

Wherein ye greatly rejoice, though now for a season, if need be, ye are in heaviness through manifold temptations: That the trial of your faith, being much more precious than of gold that perisheth, though it be tried with fire, might be found unto praise and honour and glory at the appearing of Jesus Christ: 1 Peter 1:6-7

Way

When thou passest through the waters, I will be with thee; and through the rivers, they shall not overflow thee: when thou walkest through the fire, thou shalt not be burned; neither shall the flame kindle upon thee. Isaiah 43:2

Of 

As the hart panteth after the water brooks, so panteth my soul after thee, O God. Psalms 42:1

Escape

I will not leave you comfortless: I will come to you. John 14:18

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Worthy Christian Forums - Christian Message Boards - 1999-2014 part of the Worthy Network