christian forums

Worthy Christian Forums - Christian Forums

Welcome to Worthy Christian Forums
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Hold God accountable.

* * * * * 1 votes

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
6 replies to this topic

bobwatkins

bobwatkins
  • Members
  • 9 posts

There is a big promise in John 14

Quick hit.

26 “But the Advocate, the Holy Spirit, whom the Father will send in my name, will teach you all things and will remind you of everything I have said to you.”

Don’t ever tell me that the Bible is too hard to understand. Right there in scripture we have a promise that God, the Holy Spirit who lives inside you and I, has an obligation to reveal the meaning of scripture to us. We have the promise that we can and will get something from scripture as we study. Notice I said study – not read. God promised and He will deliver. You will get something from the Word. So, if you are not getting a message from God in the Bible every day, then dive in and ask God to do as He has promised. He will and you will grow as a Believer.

Want to dive deeper? Then read **link removed**

Please share this devotional so your friends can be challenged as well.

Hope you have a great day.

On Facebook **Link removed**

On Blogspot **Link removed**

Edited by ncn, 11 July 2014 - 04:19 AM.
Please do not post links to face book and blogs

*Zion*

*Zion*

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,865 posts

Welcome Bob, lovely to have you with us!  God bless you :)

OakWood

OakWood

Royal Member

• Royal Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,806 posts

Welcome to Worthy.

Omegaman

Omegaman

• Worthy Chat Servant
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,933 posts

There is a big promise in John 14

Quick hit.

26 “But the Advocate, the Holy Spirit, whom the Father will send in my name, will teach you all things and will remind you of everything I have said to you.”

Don’t ever tell me that the Bible is too hard to understand. Right there in scripture we have a promise that God, the Holy Spirit who lives inside you and I, has an obligation to reveal the meaning of scripture to us. We have the promise that we can and will get something from scripture as we study. 

Hi Bob,

Welcome to Worthy. First off, the title: "Hold God accoubntable", I won't ever be doing that! I am His servant not the other way around, I am the one who needs to be held accountable. By the way, to be accurate, the passage you quoted, is Jesus telling His apostles that the Spirit will teach them, and bring to their minds all that Jesus said to them, it says nothing about you and I.

I think the better passage for your point might be:

5But if any of you lacks wisdom, let him ask of God, who gives to all generously and without reproach, and it will be given to him. 6But he must ask in faith without any doubting, for the one who doubts is like the surf of the sea, driven and tossed by the wind. 7For that man ought not to expect that he will receive anything from the Lord, 8being a double-minded man, unstable in all his ways.

Even there however, it does not fit your point perfectly. Wisdom, and understanding, are not the same thing, but at least there it is directed at a more general audience.

Have you ever noticed that God is not omnipotent, at least not in the sense that he can do anything. There are things that you and I can do, that God cannot do:

1Paul, a bond-servant of God and an apostle of Jesus Christ, for the faith of those chosen of God and the knowledge of the truth which is according to godliness, 2in the hope of eternal life, which God, who cannot lie, promised long ages ago . . . 

. . . and then there is this: 

19“God is not a man, that He should lie,

Nor a son of man, that He should repent;
            Has He said, and will He not do it?
            Or has He spoken, and will He not make it good?

If God cannot lie, and He does not lie, why would we think to hold God accountable to do things He always does? Sorry, but that title just struck me so wrong. However, to your real point, I agree. The biggest reason that the Bible is hard to understand, is because we do not put effort into it.

The church has been given teachers, and they can help us understand some of the difficulties, but it is our job to study, and hold those teachers accountable. God does not need to be held accountable.

alien224

alien224

Veteran Member

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 965 posts
Welcome to worthy bob!

kwikphilly

kwikphilly

Royal Member

• Royal Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,096 posts

Blessings bob!

Welcome to Worthy.........glad to have you here!Glory to God!    I must admit,I am not vry fond of the title you have chosen but I do believe you mean that we can know that God is Faithful & True to His Word & His Promises.....we can reverently remind Him of them & His Word will never come back void,how's that sound?              God Bless you!                                                               With love,in Christ-Kwik

schizokid

schizokid
  • Members
  • 7 posts
Hello. Scripture can be hard to understand for reasons other than ambiguous language.

Worthy Christian Forums - Christian Message Boards - 1999-2014 part of the Worthy Network