christian forums

Worthy Christian Forums - Christian Forums

Welcome to Worthy Christian Forums
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Who wrote the bible

* * * * * 1 votes Was it God

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
17 replies to this topic

tigger398

tigger398

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,748 posts

Who wrote the bible. I keep hearing man wrote the bible.

Butero

Butero

Royal Member

• Royal Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,824 posts

God is the real author of the Bible, but he used men to write down his words.  It would be like me giving my thoughts, but having another person come in and take dictation.  I would speak to them and they would write.  God gave these men the words and they wrote them down. 

Fez

Fez

Royal Member

• Servant
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,617 posts

40 Authors and 66 books (opinions as to author differ slightly with some books).

This could be an interesting discussion when it comes to who wrote what..... 

other one

other one

Royal Member

• Royal Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 24,498 posts

It is my personal belief that 40 men were inspired by the Holy Spirit to write down what God wanted us to understand about Him/Them and how we came about and how we can be with them.

I personally don't believe that God dictated every word to the writers, or else the whole book would be written with the same skills and grammar formats.

And that is just my personal belief from studying for about 60 years.

gdemoss

gdemoss

Royal Member

• Royal Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,095 posts
According to the author of 2 Peter holy men spoke as they were moved by the Holy Spirit.

Today I understand this concept on a greater level than ever before. I have personally experienced having my body moved by a spirit other than me. I was present but was not in the drivers seat so to speak. I don't know who or what it was but believe it was the Holy Spirit that took over and drove my truck miraculously avoiding death. Was a thrilling ride.

The man living amongst the tombs was also moved by spirits. A whole legion. I get superhuman strength and agility. It's real.

Butero

Butero

Royal Member

• Royal Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,824 posts

It wouldn't be exactly like you described Other One.  It would be inspired thoughts coming into your head as you write.  You are writing things down, but they are just coming to you.  They are divinely inspired.  Your personality may come through, but you are saying what God wants you to say. 

other one

other one

Royal Member

• Royal Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 24,498 posts

It wouldn't be exactly like you described Other One.  It would be inspired thoughts coming into your head as you write.  You are writing things down, but they are just coming to you.  They are divinely inspired.  Your personality may come through, but you are saying what God wants you to say. 

Well excuse my communication skills, but that is what I thought I was saying.

Fez

Fez

Royal Member

• Servant
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,617 posts

I have written sermons before where I just know the Holy Spirit was directing my words. Other times? Not.

I believe,as do other one and Butero, that the words the authors wrote were divinely inspired. How could they not be? 40 authors, over hundreds and hundreds of years, fishermen, tax collectors, teachers, poets, cup bearers, and Kings, separated by distance and time, all writing the one book that is truth, dovetailing from "In the beginning" to "amen" so well.

Only divine guidance could do that,

ncn

ncn

Royal Member

• Servant
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,668 posts
2Ti 3:16  All scripture is given by inspiration of God, and is profitable for doctrine, for reproof, for correction, for instruction in righteousness: 

Mar 13:31  Heaven and earth shall pass away: but my words shall not pass away. 

The Bible is indeed the inspired Word of God. 

From the Worthy statement of faith.~

"We believe that the 66 books of the Canon, from Genesis to Revelation are the exhaustive, inerrant and inspired word of God."

Amen !

Butero

Butero

Royal Member

• Royal Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,824 posts

Sorry Other One.  I wasn't meaning to offend you.  It came across there was a slight difference because you said you didn't believe God dictated the message to them, and I am basically saying he did, but through their personality.  He spoke the words directly into their mind and they wrote them down.  If that is the same thing you are saying, I am sorry I misunderstood you.  If that is not what you were saying, then perhaps the problem is my communication skills, and that is a good possibility.  :39:

gigman7

gigman7

• PipPip
  • 168 posts

I explain it to someone this way. If I have a secretary that I dictate something to, she writes it down, types it up, runs it off, etc, who wrote it? The Bible is very much the same way. Yes, man physically wrote it on paper but the words are from God. Much of the Bible was physically written by David, Moses, Paul, etc, but they were writing for God very much like a secretary would.

other one

other one

Royal Member

• Royal Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 24,498 posts

Sorry Other One.  I wasn't meaning to offend you.  It came across there was a slight difference because you said you didn't believe God dictated the message to them, and I am basically saying he did, but through their personality.  He spoke the words directly into their mind and they wrote them down.  If that is the same thing you are saying, I am sorry I misunderstood you.  If that is not what you were saying, then perhaps the problem is my communication skills, and that is a good possibility.  :39:

so you are saying that they basically transcribed each word that God gave them to write down???

Butero

Butero

Royal Member

• Royal Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,824 posts

so you are saying that they basically transcribed each word that God gave them to write down???

I think they sat down to write a letter and God took over. 

gigman7

gigman7

• PipPip
  • 168 posts

2 Timothy 3:16 says "Every Scripture is God-breathed..."

World English Bible translation

Edited by gigman7, 11 July 2014 - 10:03 PM.

Persuaded

Persuaded

• PipPip
  • 204 posts
If you've ever heard of the deutero-Isaiah theory, here's a passage that will save you some trouble.

John 12 quotes from "1st Isaiah" and "2nd Isaiah", but between them are the words "Isaiah said again":

37 But although He had done so many signs before them, they did not believe in Him,
38 that the word of Isaiah the prophet might be fulfilled, which he spoke: "Lord, who has believed our report? And to whom has the arm of the LORD been revealed?"[fn]
39 Therefore they could not believe, because Isaiah said again:
40 "He has blinded their eyes and hardened their hearts, Lest they should see with their eyes, Lest they should understand with their hearts and turn, So that I should heal them."[fn]

John didn't have the benefit of modern textual criticism, but I think his source is much to be preferred!

Wildstar

Wildstar

• PipPip
  • 158 posts

It was written by holy men chosen by God and authored by God.

The bible is in agreement with itself and doesn't contradict.

This can be very difficult for many different authors.

This is another reason why the bible is so marvelous.  

kwikphilly

kwikphilly

Royal Member

• Royal Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,065 posts

Blessings tigger

The enemy tries to refute God Word through anyone possible.....just as he speaks those thoughts into an unbelievers mind so God spoke His Word into the thoughts of the 40 men that wrote them down...........................                                             With love-in Christ,Kwik

Though it may sound a little different the way Butero,other one & I are saying it......we are all saying the same thing(this too ,is an example of how the Bible was written)........we are all of one accord,having been given the same mind & judgement by the power of the Holy Spirit  yet,we are three individuals with three different ways of communicating the same thought......you see?Confirmation of Gods Truth

BeauJangles

BeauJangles

Advanced Member

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 285 posts

I scanned briefly through the thread on this topic, and it seems we are all in agreement here, that though there are numerous authors of the many books written in scrolls, the historical and factual accounts of the truth of the One True God... Both in the Old and New Testament. The writings of the Apostle Paul were letters to individual churches existing at that time. They are still relevant to this day. Centuries later, they were gathered and translated into manuscripts from the Hebrew texts of the Old Testament, and Greek from the New Testament. All authors and/or scribes were of the lineage the Hebrew nation of Israel. The manuscripts were later translated into English language in the 1611, though there were some word changes for comprehensive understanding. And following after, further translations have been published from the original Hebrew and Greek texts, for even better clarification. There are some disagreements concerning this however, the scriptures posted by ncn, sums it up and expresses it best being: 2nd Timothy 3:16 and Mark 13:31. And I do believe the Bible is the undisputable Word of God.

God bless you,

Shalom

David/BeauJangles 

Worthy Christian Forums - Christian Message Boards - 1999-2014 part of the Worthy Network