Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Mormon Deification

27 posts in this topic

Posted (edited) · Report post

Who came first, a god or a man?

Mormonism asserts that the universe, men, and gods are all eternal (1). If man has always been, and some men have always been progressing into godhood: What came first, a god or a man? If a man was first, who made the man? A god? If a god came first, then from what did he progress in this eternal progression of gods? It’s easy to see that not only do the false doctrines of Mormonism have no scriptural support; they are philosophically fallacious as well. Next are two quotes explaining the Mormon teaching on the deification of humanity and plurality of gods.

>“As man now is, God once was; as God is now man may be.” (2)

>"Here, then, is eternal life—to know the only wise and true God; and you have got to learn how to be Gods yourselves, and to be kings and priests to God, the same as all Gods have done before you." (3)

Now let’s break down the logical implications that arise if in fact god was a once a man, and man can become gods. If God was not always God, and was once a man as Mormonism teaches. Who then came first, a god or a man? If a man came first, who created that man if not a god? If a god came first, than where did that god come from if in fact gods are exalted men?

>If we hold to Mormon teachings about the source and nature of ‘gods’, we see a logical fallacy unfold. The only explanation that lines up with reality is that of an uncaused being who has existed always without time. One must not come to this conclusion based on their understanding or presumptions. We must allow Gods Word to mold our views.

>Psalm 86:10 — For thou art great, and doest wondrous things: thou art God alone.

>James 2:19 — Thou believest that there is one God; thou doest well: the devils also believe, and tremble.

>The ideal of a plethora of gods who attained godhood through exaltation is not coherent. As far back as you wish to continue to proceed, you must answer this. Who came first, a god or a man? Neither logic nor any Mormon can answer this question.

>The Bible is clear on the subject in these Scriptures.

>"You are My witnesses," declares the LORD, "And My servant whom I have chosen, So that you may know and believe Me And understand that I am He. Before Me there was no God formed, And there will be none after Me." Isaiah 43:10

(Deut. 6:4-5, Ps. 86:10, Isa. 44:8, Isa. 45:5, Isaiah 45:18, Isa. 45:21, Isa. 45:22, Isa. 46:9, Mal. 2:10, Mk. 12:29, Mk. 12:32, 1 Cor. 8:4, Gal. 3:20, 1 Tim. 2:5, James 2:19.)

G.J.E. Eccles 7/8/14

(1) (LDS Apostle Bruce R. McConkie, Mormon Doctrine, p.250, LDS Collectors Library '97 CD-ROM)
(2) ( The Teachings of Lorenzo Snow, ed. Clyde J. Williams [1984], 1.)
(3) (Teachings of the Prophet Joseph Smith, Joseph Fielding Smith, p. 346, Deseret Book, 2006.See also, the first edition of the official History of the Church, vol. VI, ch. XIII, pp. 300-307, published by Deseret News, 1912.)

**Link removed**

Edited by ncn
Please do not use Worthy to advertise your web site

Posted · Report post

Truth

Jesus saith unto him, I am the way, the truth, and the life: no man cometh unto the Father, but by me. John 14:6

It's What's

Verily, verily, I say unto you, He that heareth my word, and believeth on him that sent me, hath everlasting life, and shall not come into condemnation; but is passed from death unto life. John 5:24

For Dinner

Thy words were found, and I did eat them; and thy word was unto me the joy and rejoicing of mine heart: for I am called by thy name, O LORD God of hosts. John 15:16

~

Who came first, a god or a man?

~

Beloved, Who?

Thus saith the LORD the King of Israel, and his redeemer the LORD of hosts; I am the first, and I am the last; and beside me there is no God. Isaiah 44:6

God?

I am the LORD: that is my name: and my glory will I not give to another, neither my praise to graven images. Isaiah 42:8

A

And to make all men see what is the fellowship of the mystery, which from the beginning of the world hath been hid in God, who created all things by Jesus Christ: Ephesians 3:9

Man?

Behold, a virgin shall be with child, and shall bring forth a son, and they shall call his name Emmanuel, which being interpreted is, God with us. Matthew 1:23

How About That....

And without controversy great is the mystery of godliness: God was manifest in the flesh, justified in the Spirit, seen of angels, preached unto the Gentiles, believed on in the world, received up into glory. 1 Timothy 3:16

Posted · Report post

Absolutely Fresno Joe! God is the only God! Man can never become a god!!

Posted · Report post

Blessings Agape Apologetics

Welcome to Worthy.....I must say,this is one of the more ridiculous & non-sensical things I have heard in a while.....I suppose the devil can convince some people of anything........................

4 When arguing with fools, don't answer their foolish arguments, or you will become as foolish as they are. 5 When arguing with fools, be sure to answer their foolish arguments, or they will become wise in their own estimation                                                                           Proverbs 26:4-5

With love-in Christ,Kwik

Posted · Report post

No

Then Peter opened his mouth, and said, Of a truth I perceive that God is no respecter of persons: Acts 10:34

Man

I am the LORD: that is my name: and my glory will I not give to another, neither my praise to graven images. Isaiah 42:8

~

God is the only God!

Man can never become a god!!

~

Amen~!

Thy word is true from the beginning: and every one of thy righteous judgments endureth for ever. Psalms 119:160

And

Even when we were dead in sins, hath quickened us together with Christ, (by grace ye are saved;) And hath raised us up together, and made us sit together in heavenly places in Christ Jesus:

That in the ages to come he might shew the exceeding riches of his grace in his kindness toward us through Christ Jesus.

For by grace are ye saved through faith; and that not of yourselves: it is the gift of God: Not of works, lest any man should boast. Ephesians 2:5-9

Amen~!

Verily, verily, I say unto you, He that heareth my word, and believeth on him that sent me, hath everlasting life, and shall not come into condemnation; but is passed from death unto life. John 5:24

~

From

Ed’s Five Minutes with a Mormon

THREE

The Law of Eternal Progression

Can you help me understand this core doctrine of Mormonism?

As man is god once was, as god is man may become

It is the center of the Mormon faith and the work of the LDS temples.

The Bible says God was God from before eternity and beyond eternity

One God.. None besides him, none before, after.

3 times Jesus emphasized that God is spirit.

God says that he is Not [never was] a man that he should lie.

If you don’t trust Bible, The Book of Mormon  says

God is not changeable ever.

Unchangeable from eternity to eternity.

I can’t make your Law of Eternal Progression   and these scriptures match up.

Please help me understand.

Can we pray?

You pray for full understanding for both of you.

Final Words out the door..

It seems you have a Different God, Different Jesus, Different Salvation

Different heaven, Different hell, Different nature of man, Different scripture,

and you have

Different  definitions of Biblical terms in common understanding for thousands of years.

http://deckerreport.com/5minuteswitha/5-minutes-with-a-mormon/

Posted · Report post

Mormonism asserts that the universe, men, and gods are all eternal (1). If man has always been, and some men have always been progressing into godhood: What came first, a god or a man? If a man was first, who made the man? A god? If a god came first, then from what did he progress in this eternal progression of gods? It’s easy to see that not only do the false doctrines of Mormonism have no scriptural support; they are philosophically fallacious as well. Next are two quotes explaining the Mormon teaching on the deification of humanity and plurality of gods.

I think the Mormons have an answer for this one - they don't teach that there was a first cause of all things, but rather that the universe has always been - hence Elohim is just one in a succession of humans that have achieved godhood.

The whole basis of the Mormon testimony is feeling based, not logic based or philosphical  - they appeal to the burning in the bosom as their final authority on what is true and what is not. 

Posted · Report post

I don't know about Mormons, but those are some interesting things to think about. Where did God come from? Truthfully, no Christian can answer that question. God just appears to be. How or why we do not know. Then God created a Son who He calls Jesus and sends him to earth to help us. This Jesus grows in faith and truth, follows the commandments of his Father perfectly, and becomes a saved, resurrected being with all the glory and power that the Father gives him. He becomes an heir of the Father, given to share in all that the Father has. In essence, Jesus becomes god-like, or shall we dare say gains the position of a god? Now, I am aware many people want to say Jesus and the Father are the same being, which is really just a 4th century concoction to try and turn these two gods into one, but the Bible teaches no such thing. You may point to the "oneness" verses, but not of those have to do with any physical attributes of God, they all have to do with their relationship to each other. Anyway, the point being, Jesus completes his mission and becomes a glorious resurrected being, to live forever in a perfect state with His father.... and as for us, God's sons and daughters, we can become joint-heirs with Christ (Romans 8:17) and inherit all the glory, blessings, and power that Jesus did, through faith and obedience. So I don't think you should be scolding some Mormons who really believe the same as you, they just term it differently.

Posted · Report post

So I don't think you should be scolding some Mormons who really believe the same as you, they just term it differently.

The bible says those who preach another gospel are accursed and we are not to heed them. Mormons preach another gospel. 

Posted · Report post

Like I said, they seem to preach the same thing as other Christians, you can become like Jesus. And what is Jesus? He is what his Father is,  a God. You just term it differently than those Mormons do. If you want to attack someone who has changed the gospel, you should be starting with 4th century Rome and the heretic doctrines they introduced.

The problem with a lot of Christians is they use different vocabulary than other Christians to describe the same thing. Then they each point their finger at the other and cry "foul!" So maybe Mormons describe becoming a saved being as being like God and you describe it as being a saved being. Either way, it is the same thing. This is what you do not see.

Posted · Report post

Like I said, they seem to preach the same thing as other Christians, you can become like Jesus. And what is Jesus? He is what his Father is,  a God. You just term it differently than those Mormons do. If you want to attack someone who has changed the gospel, you should be starting with 4th century Rome and the heretic doctrines they introduced.

The problem with a lot of Christians is they use different vocabulary than other Christians to describe the same thing. Then they each point their finger at the other and cry "foul!" So maybe Mormons describe becoming a saved being as being like God and you describe it as being a saved being. Either way, it is the same thing. This is what you do not see.

Ozzy, in Christianity, Jesus is not a created being. Jesus is God and is pre-existent, not created. So Jesus did not have to live an obedient life to become a god, He is and always has been God, who came to earth in human flesh. So, Christianity and Mormonism is very fundamentally different.

Posted · Report post

Have you studied Mormonism Ozzy?

Unfortuneatly, it is not a simple case of having a different vocabulary.  Not at all.  

Mormonism was created only 200 years ago and uses the book of Mormon as its 'go to' bible

The Mormon religion (Mormonism), whose followers are known as Mormons and Latter Day Saints (LDS), was founded less than two hundred years ago by a man named Joseph Smith. He claimed to have received a personal visit from God the Father and Jesus Christ who told him that all churches and their creeds were an abomination. Joseph Smith then set out to begin a brand-new religion that claims to be the “only true church on earth.” The problem with Mormonism is that it contradicts, modifies, and expands on the Bible. Christians have no reason to believe that the Bible is not true and adequate. To truly believe in and trust God means to believe in His Word, and all Scripture is inspired by God, which means it comes from Him (2 Timothy 3:16).

Read more:http://www.gotquestions.org/Mormons.html#ixzz393jMvU32

Posted · Report post

Most of us don't have any idea what goes on with the temple worship.   It is only open to invitation.  Not even mormons may attend temple worship without a special invitation.     I have been told that it is much like Masonic temple doings and I have read in many places that Joseph Smith was a high level mason.

Posted · Report post

I think the Mormons have an answer for this one - they don't teach that there was a first cause of all things, but rather that the universe has always been - hence Elohim is just one in a succession of humans that have achieved godhood.

The whole basis of the Mormon testimony is feeling based, not logic based or philosphical  - they appeal to the burning in the bosom as their final authority on what is true and what is not. 

off topic

I always considered the burning heart thing to be because I did something bad so this post made me sorta laugh

The feeling of goodness I get is when I do good and my heart gets that water flow thing.  never understood why people latch onto the warm heart thing.  The bible says the holy spirit is a FOUNTAIN haha

Posted · Report post

The "burning thing" comes from Luke 24:32 NKJV Did not our heart burn within us while He talked to us on the road? v.27 Jesus had been explaining the Old Testament to the men on the road to Emmaus. (V.13)

So Joseph Smith said that an angel told him that he would know if what was written in the Bible was true [or any of the so called translating and recording of the plates was true] only if they had a burning in their bosoms when reading it. Doctrine & Covenants 9:8 Of course they are accursed for bringing another gospel. Their religion is based on Scottish Rite Masons. They stole the ritual and legends and melded it with the religion he created. Masons will allow Jews to join but not mormons due to this--they are black balled. If there was an angel speaking to Joseph Smith it was a fallen one. They make their religion sound the same and will say they believe like we do, but the truth is that few have any idea what we truly believe and they have used the same christianese words to mean something entirely different. You really have to define words when speaking to them.

Occasionally when I have spoken to mormon missionaries and the Holy Spirit had given me light on a subject, I would tell them that I had a burning in my bosom concerning an opposit interpretation from theirs. It always puzzeled them and stopped their arguements. But I was trying to put it into their language. A lot of mormons must suffer from heartburn and indigestion. We should offer them some Pepsid or an antactid.

Posted · Report post

Your terms our wrong... The Christianity formed in 325 AD says Jesus is not a created being. This is when the trinity was concocted. No biblical reference can be found.

Posted · Report post

Your terms our wrong... The Christianity formed in 325 AD says Jesus is not a created being. This is when the trinity was concocted. No biblical reference can be found.

lovely...you woke up this thread to discuss your views on what the Bible states regarding the Trinity?

ps...your timeline is off

It is normal for a creature who has a beginning to not have the mental capacity to understand how a creator has no beginning.

How can a finite being bound by time and space understand how the creator who created time and space exists without any bounds.

The Living Word is, he just is and we have trouble understanding our own finite position let alone trying to understand matters outside of our own time and space boundaries.

I think we need to humble ourselves and just learn to accept how small we really are in the scope of things.

Edited by Defending the Name

Posted · Report post

It is normal for a creature who has a beginning to not have the mental capacity to understand how a creator has no beginning.

How can a finite being bound by time and space understand how the creator who created time and space exists without any bounds.

The Living Word is, he just is and we have trouble understanding our own finite position let alone trying to understand matters outside of our own time and space boundaries.

I think we need to humble ourselves and just learn to accept how small we really are in the scope of things.

:thumbsup:

But

We love because he first loved us. 1 John 4:19 (NIV)

God

When I consider thy heavens, the work of thy fingers, the moon and the stars, which thou hast ordained;

What is man, that thou art mindful of him? and the son of man, that thou visitest him?

For thou hast made him a little lower than the angels, and hast crowned him with glory and honour.

Thou madest him to have dominion over the works of thy hands; thou hast put all things under his feet: Psalms 8:3-6

Walked The Earth

And without controversy great is the mystery of godliness: God was manifest in the flesh, justified in the Spirit, seen of angels, preached unto the Gentiles, believed on in the world, received up into glory. 1 Timothy 3:16

Bless His Holy Holy Name

Posted · Report post

lovely...you woke up this thread to discuss your views on what the Bible states regarding the Trinity?

Is there already a thread discussing proof of the trinity?? I would be interested in seeing what was discussed.

As for Ozzy's comment.... The councils you referred to only happened in response to heresies that rose up denying The different aspects of the trinity. The Church always taught and held true to the teachings on the trinity from the very beginning.

Posted · Report post

Is there already a thread discussing proof of the trinity?? I would be interested in seeing what was discussed.

As for Ozzy's comment.... The councils you referred to only happened in response to heresies that rose up denying The different aspects of the trinity. The Church always taught and held true to the teachings on the trinity from the very beginning.

Hi...I know there are, but you will need to do a search...or perhaps ask a mod to help you

thanks

One thing I don't understand about this post question was why is it laid at the feet of Mormons to explain where God or men came from when other christians openly admit they don't know.  I agree with Ozzy in that the vocabulary maybe a bit different but the idea isn't out in left field.  The general thought is that man, and woman, can continue to progress after this life if they live after the manner of rightousness, which is following the gospel of Jesus Christ.  There are many reference in the bible of man becoming joint heirs in the Kingdom of God with Christ, yet no one really speculates on what that is.  It's not far fetched to belive that becoming godlike is what is meant by that inheritance.

There has been also a lot of talk about the Mormons teaching another gospel, but most will admit that they know very little about what thier beliefs are that it might be hard to come to that conclusion without investigation of what they believe.  Just a thought.

Edited by btcaldwell

Posted · Report post

Blessings Ozzy...

So ,may I ask......are you a Christian?

Like I said, they seem to preach the same thing as other Christians, you can become like Jesus. And what is Jesus? He is what his Father is,  a God

posted by Ozzy

I am sorry to have to correct you but Jesus is not a god ,,,,He is God

John 1 New International Version (NIV)
The Word Became Flesh

1 In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was God. 2 He was with God in the beginning. 3 Through him all things were made; without him nothing was made that has been made. 4 In him was life, and that life was the light of all mankind. 5 The light shines in the darkness, and the darkness has not overcome

With love-in Christ,Kwik

Posted · Report post

Absolutely Fresno Joe....

God is the only God....

Man can never....

become....

a god....

~

And Beloved, There Is Only One God

Thus saith the LORD the King of Israel, and his redeemer the LORD of hosts; I am the first, and I am the last; and beside me there is no God. Isaiah 44:6

And We Both Know Him

For thy Maker is thine husband; the LORD of hosts is his name; and thy Redeemer the Holy One of Israel; The God of the whole earth shall he be called. Isaiah 54:5

And Worship Him

Thy words were found, and I did eat them; and thy word was unto me the joy and rejoicing of mine heart: for I am called by thy name, O LORD God of hosts. Jeremiah 15:16

But....

How art thou fallen from heaven, O Lucifer, son of the morning! how art thou cut down to the ground, which didst weaken the nations!

For thou hast said in thine heart, I will ascend into heaven, I will exalt my throne above the stars of God: I will sit also upon the mount of the congregation, in the sides of the north:

I will ascend above the heights of the clouds; I will be like the most High.

Yet thou shalt be brought down to hell, to the sides of the pit. Isaiah 14:12-15

So if godhood is completely off the table for man, then what is meant by  "heirs of God" and "joint heirs with Christ"  Romans 8:17

And how do you read the following passages:

“To him that overcometh will I grant to sit with me in my throne, even as I also overcame, and am set down with my Father in His throne.” Revelations 3:21

"Beloved, now are we the sons of God, and it doth not yet appear what we shall be: but we know that, when he shall appear, we shall be like him; for we shall see him as he is. And every man that hath this hope in him purifieth himself, even as he is pure." 1 John 3:2-3

Personally, I read lots of scriptures that suggest that there is a lot in store for us if we live faithfully in this life, and I don't know if being in heaven and remaining constant is all that God has in store for us.  I like to think that the life we are in now is somehow a foreshadow of how things will be on the other side.  Here I am able to continue to progress and increase my knowledge, why not on the otherside?

Edited by btcaldwell

Posted · Report post

Only One

The One And The Only

For thy Maker is thine husband; the LORD of hosts is his name; and thy Redeemer the Holy One of Israel; The God of the whole earth shall he be called. Isaiah 54:5

PS: Beloved, I Know Jesus

See now that I, even I, am he, and there is no god with me: I kill, and I make alive; I wound, and I heal: neither is there any that can deliver out of my hand. For I lift up my hand to heaven, and say, I live for ever.

If I whet my glittering sword, and mine hand take hold on judgment; I will render vengeance to mine enemies, and will reward them that hate me. I will make mine arrows drunk with blood, and my sword shall devour flesh; and that with the blood of the slain and of the captives, from the beginning of revenges upon the enemy.

Rejoice, O ye nations, with his people: for he will avenge the blood of his servants, and will render vengeance to his adversaries, and will be merciful unto his land, and to his people. Deuteronomy 32:39-43

And Dear One,

But God commendeth his love toward us, in that, while we were yet sinners, Christ died for us. Romans 5:8

You Ain't Him

For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life. John 3:16

~

So if godhood is completely off the table for man, then what is meant by  "heirs of God" and "joint heirs with Christ"  Romans 8:17

And how do you read the following passages:

“To him that overcometh will I grant to sit with me in my throne, even as I also overcame, and am set down with my Father in His throne.” Revelations 3:21

"Beloved, now are we the sons of God, and it doth not yet appear what we shall be: but we know that, when he shall appear, we shall be like him; for we shall see him as he is.

And every man that hath this hope in him purifieth himself, even as he is pure." 1 John 3:2-3

Personally....

I read lots of scriptures that suggest that there is a lot in store for us if we live faithfully in this life....

and I don't know if being in heaven and remaining constant is all that God has in store for us.... 

I like to think that the life we are in now is somehow a foreshadow of how things will be on the other side....

Here I am able to continue to progress and increase my knowledge, why not on the other side....

:thumbsup:

Knowledge

And further, by these, my son, be admonished: of making many books there is no end; and much study is a weariness of the flesh. Ecclesiastes 12:12

And

It is the spirit that quickeneth; the flesh profiteth nothing: the words that I speak unto you, they are spirit, and they are life. John 6:63

Wisdom

Let us hear the conclusion of the whole matter: Fear God, and keep his commandments: for this is the whole duty of man.

For God shall bring every work into judgment, with every secret thing, whether it be good, or whether it be evil. Ecclesiastes 12:13-14

And The

Wherefore I give you to understand, that no man speaking by the Spirit of God calleth Jesus accursed: and that no man can say that Jesus is the Lord, but by the Holy Ghost. 1 Corinthians 12:3

Truth

Thou art worthy, O Lord, to receive glory and honour and power: for thou hast created all things, and for thy pleasure they are and were created. Revelation 4:11

~

Here

Beloved, now we are children of God; and it has not yet been revealed what we shall be, but we know that when He is revealed, we shall be like Him, for we shall see Him as He is. And everyone who has this hope in Him purifies himself, just as He is pure. 1 John 3:2-3 (NKJV)

And Now

Now I know in part, but then I shall know just as I also am known. 1 Corinthians 13:12 (NKJV)

And On The

And there shall be no more curse: but the throne of God and of the Lamb shall be in it; and his servants shall serve him:

And they shall see his face; and his name shall be in their foreheads. Revelation 22:3-4

"Other Side"

And I saw a new heaven and a new earth: for the first heaven and the first earth were passed away; and there was no more sea.

And I John saw the holy city, new Jerusalem, coming down from God out of heaven, prepared as a bride adorned for her husband.

And I heard a great voice out of heaven saying, Behold, the tabernacle of God is with men, and he will dwell with them, and they shall be his people, and God himself shall be with them, and be their God.

And God shall wipe away all tears from their eyes; and there shall be no more death, neither sorrow, nor crying, neither shall there be any more pain: for the former things are passed away.

And he that sat upon the throne said, Behold, I make all things new. And he said unto me, Write: for these words are true and faithful. Revelation 21:1-5

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0