christian forums

Worthy Christian Forums - Christian Forums

Welcome to Worthy Christian Forums
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

What does the Bible say about using bad language?

* * * * * 1 votes

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
15 replies to this topic

gigman7

gigman7

• PipPip
  • 168 posts
Looking for Bible verses that talk about using bad language. Not sure there are any. I can't find any. I'm talking mostly about using those "four letter words".

ncn

ncn

Royal Member

• Servant
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,420 posts
Col 4:6  Let your speech be always with grace, seasoned with salt, that ye may know how ye ought to answer every man. 

Luk 6:45  A good man out of the good treasure of his heart bringeth forth that which is good;
and an evil man out of the evil treasure of his heart bringeth forth that which is evil:
for of the abundance of the heart his mouth speaketh. 

If in doubt,, just ask yourself if what you are about to say or do is this,,,

1Co 10:31  Therefore whether you eat or drink, or whatever you do, do all to the glory of God. 

other one

other one

Royal Member

• Royal Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 24,117 posts

Who gets to decide what is and is not bad language.

Wildstar

Wildstar

• PipPip
  • 158 posts

Bad language isn't a sin.

Though it can be used to sin.  ****

Edited by Wildstar, 16 July 2014 - 01:45 PM.

Floatingaxe

Floatingaxe

Royal Member

• Royal Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,131 posts

Col 4:6  Let your speech be always with grace, seasoned with salt, that ye may know how ye ought to answer every man. 

Luk 6:45  A good man out of the good treasure of his heart bringeth forth that which is good;
and an evil man out of the evil treasure of his heart bringeth forth that which is evil:
for of the abundance of the heart his mouth speaketh. 

If in doubt,, just ask yourself if what you are about to say or do is this,,,

1Co 10:31  Therefore whether you eat or drink, or whatever you do, do all to the glory of God. 

There's the answer. Using foul language is a sin, and reveals what is in the heart.

LadyC

LadyC

Royal Member

• Royal Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,647 posts

do these verses not address "bad language"? 

Ephesians 5:4 - Neither filthiness, nor foolish talking, nor jesting, which are not convenient: but rather giving of thanks.

Ephesians 4:29 - Let no corrupt communication proceed out of your mouth, but that which is good to the use of edifying, that it may minister grace unto the hearers.

Colossians 3:8-10 - But now ye also put off all these; anger, wrath, malice, blasphemy, filthy communication out of your mouth.   (Read More...)

Colossians 4:6 - Let your speech [be] alway with grace, seasoned with salt, that ye may know how ye ought to answer every man.

Colossians 3:8 - But now ye also put off all these; anger, wrath, malice, blasphemy, filthy communication out of your mouth.

Matthew 12:37 - For by thy words thou shalt be justified, and by thy words thou shalt be condemned.

Philippians 4:8 - Finally, brethren, whatsoever things are true, whatsoever things [are] honest, whatsoever things [are] just, whatsoever things [are] pure, whatsoever things [are] lovely, whatsoever things [are] of good report; if [there be] any virtue, and if [there be] any praise, think on these things.

i think first of all the key is to understand what 'bad language' is. most of us think 'bad language' boils down to cuss words. and maybe for some, it does. but we do know that according to the scriptures, we are to use GOOD language.

so what is good language?

it's language that is edifying. does cusssing edify anyone?

our speech is to always be gracious, and seasoned with salt (salt preserves and adds a pleasing flavor). is cussing gracious? does it add anything pleasing to the conversation or preserve (protect) who it's directed at?

we are justified by our words.... but does that mean our cuss words are justified by us?

we're to think on good things... things that are true, honest, just, pure, lovely and of good report, virtue and praise. when you use cuss words, are you using them to describe things that are true, honest, just, pure, lovely, of good report, virtue or praise? i know when i cuss, those things are far from my mind.

the thing is, yes, i think cussing is one of the many types of language we're supposed to avoid. but it's sure not exclusive to cussing! bad language is ALSO anger, gossip, blasphemy, bragging, off-colored jokes, etc.

Willamina

Willamina

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,083 posts

Matt. 15:11 not what goes into the mouth defiles a man, but what comes out of the mouth, this defiles a man.

2 Cor. 7:1  Therefore, having these promises, beloved, let us cleanse ourselves from all filthiness of the flesh and spirit, perfecting holiness in the fear of God.

James 3:5-10  v,8   But no man can tame the tongue.  It is an unruly evil, full of deadly poison.

Col. 3:8  But now you are to put away all these:  anger, wrath, malice, blasphemy, filthy language out of your mouth.

1 Thess 5:22 Abstain from every sort of evil.

Willamina

Willamina

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,083 posts

God, Who sees our hearts.  For out of the abundance of the heart the mouth speaks.

MorningGlory

MorningGlory

Royal Member

• Royal Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 32,597 posts

If you think of the very nature of curse words (yes, usually four-letter words) they degrade, defile and demean whatever or whomever they are directed at.  Can you think of any curse words that you would speak to Jesus if He came to visit?  Neither can I.

other one

other one

Royal Member

• Royal Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 24,117 posts

God, Who sees our hearts.  For out of the abundance of the heart the mouth speaks.

and just how does he relate the individual words to the world and who does he give them to.......

My favorite happens to be an acronym in the shipping industry......     Ship High in Transit.....         is used for marking packages of processed cow manure so it won't get damp and gas  off blowing up the boat during the trip.

So who decided this was such a very bad word.  there seems to be any other number of words that mean the same thing that are OK to use.

Willamina

Willamina

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,083 posts

and just how does he relate the individual words to the world and who does he give them to.......

My favorite happens to be an acronym in the shipping industry......     Ship High in Transit.....         is used for marking packages of processed cow manure so it won't get damp and gas  off blowing up the boat during the trip.

So who decided this was such a very bad word.  there seems to be any other number of words that mean the same thing that are OK to use.
I think that Paul said that he counted his education as dung in comparison to knowing Christ. Other versions use refuse. Why that word is better I really don't understand, because things like this can vary in various countries and within regions of the same country. I guess we should try not to offend others, but there are times--such as when I stepped in a large pile of fresh dog feces with my bare foot-- that oh dung and oh feces do not pop into my mind or out of my mouth. Fortunately the one that I most likely blurt out is oh fiddle sticks. That was what grandma Willamina would say, and grandpa was an old time fiddler who owned fiddle sticks. Now days we have to be so careful not to offend anyone and be politicaly correct that I sometimes just don't care.....we are bound to offend someone at sometime. So I would just ask the Lord to help us to not offend others with our language and to cleanse our hearts. "Create in me a clean heart, Oh Lord, and put a right spirit within me."

Rustyangel

Rustyangel

Royal Member

• Worthy Chat Servant
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,415 posts

I can't even begin to understand why as Christians we would want to use such language.  We are too represent Christ.  I don't recall Jesus swearing and cursing.  You have a lot of good answers here.  May I suggest you follow what Jesus would speak and maybe try and stop making excuses for the use of such language.

gigman7

gigman7

• PipPip
  • 168 posts

I can't even begin to understand why as Christians we would want to use such language.  We are too represent Christ.  I don't recall Jesus swearing and cursing.  You have a lot of good answers here.  May I suggest you follow what Jesus would speak and maybe try and stop making excuses for the use of such language.

Very well put!

other one

other one

Royal Member

• Royal Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 24,117 posts

I'm just trying to get to the root of who decides what is acceptable and who is not......   it certainly isn't the Bible for I've done word searches on many of those words......   I find it very disturbing to allow society to dictate what is sinful and what isn't......    you should take care on the subject for society is starting to accept some really outrageous things these days.

other one

other one

Royal Member

• Royal Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 24,117 posts

Interesting concept....     if something comes up and you say "Holy Crap" in my grandmothers house you got her attention and my mothers....    if you say in the same tone and inflection and same circumstance the "S" word which means the exact same thing,,,   you not only got there attention, you got the lye soap to boot....

What I am saying is that we should not call things sinful that are just not socially acceptable.

Wildstar

Wildstar

• PipPip
  • 158 posts

Interesting concept....     if something comes up and you say "Holy Crap" in my grandmothers house you got her attention and my mothers....    if you say in the same tone and inflection and same circumstance the "S" word which means the exact same thing,,,   you not only got there attention, you got the lye soap to boot....

What I am saying is that we should not call things sinful that are just not socially acceptable.

People make things that aren't a sin into a sin.  Such as this 'bad language'.

I can say bad words while praying and not feel bad.  Chew on that everyone!  

I have always been wary of making things that I dislike into a sin.  I realize that although I have never done marijuana for example, doesn't mean it's a sin.  I never drank alcohol, but I dont despise the idea or think its sinful.  Some things are sin obviously.  Lying for one.  Adding to the word of God for another.  *cough* 

ANyways!

Edited by Wildstar, 16 July 2014 - 08:17 PM.

Worthy Christian Forums - Christian Message Boards - 1999-2014 part of the Worthy Network