christian forums

Worthy Christian Forums - Christian Forums

Welcome to Worthy Christian Forums
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Reading Through The Bible

* * * * * 1 votes

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
14 replies to this topic

Medaco

Medaco
  • Members
  • 20 posts
I'm trying to read through the Bible in 1 year. I was just curious.. Does anyone have any tips how to stay faithful in reading daily? Any tips where to start? Thanks!

countingsheep

countingsheep

• Banned
  • PipPip
  • 115 posts

Hi Medaco

2 Timothy 3:16 "All scripture is given by inspiration of God, and is profitable for doctrine, for reproof, for correction, for instruction in righteousness"

Sometimes it takes me a whole day to understand one verse I don' know it would be a good idea to try and speed read....Always ask God for guidance and uderstanding before reading

Blessings to You

digitalinchrist

digitalinchrist
  • Members
  • 58 posts

I'm trying to read through the Bible in 1 year. I was just curious.. Does anyone have any tips how to stay faithful in reading daily? Any tips where to start? Thanks!

What helps me the most is to be in as quiet an environment as possible. Old Testament books will usually take much longer than NT books.  Once you finally read through it all.  Your ability to read with speed and retain should increase,, mine did.

LadyC

LadyC

Royal Member

• Royal Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,973 posts

i understand. seriously, i can't seem to stay faithful reading if i put myself on a one year plan. BUT... and this may or may not be do-able for you, i find when i put myself on a shorter plan, i can stick with it faithfully. i've read through the entire bible in 90 days three different times (all within the last 4 years). but this last time, which would be my fourth time, God challenged me to do it slower... to do it in one year instead of 3 months. frankly i've been working on that fourth time for the last 15 months, and i'm still only in the NT. i'm sad to say i haven't picked up my bible in about a month, other than to look up specific scriptures. i beat myself up over that a lot, because i should be starting over on the fifth journey through the Bible on july 21... that's only three days from now. it's the anniversary of me quitting smoking.

so if you're having trouble with a one year plan, and if you have the time, challenge yourself to a 90 day plan. sometimes people need the pressure of a tight deadline to stay focused. :)

ThereIsFreedom

ThereIsFreedom
  • Members
  • 48 posts
Hello :-)

I tried doing that for awhile but It wasn't working out, I would never keep up with it either so that's why I decided to do it at my own pace. So what i do now is I read 1 chapter every day. I do it in order, i started with the New Testament (in order Mathew, Mark, Luke, John...etc), already done with the new testament... Now reading the Old Testament(this is the long one lol), reading it in order also, my husband is doing the same thing also and we are already in 1 Samuel. If you do want to keep up with it though then you have to choose a time of the day that you know you can relax and read it... For me it is right before I'm ready to go to sleep... I can finAlly keep up with it daily :-)))) GOD bless you.

Medaco

Medaco
  • Members
  • 20 posts
Thanks everyone!

OakWood

OakWood

Royal Member

• Royal Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,078 posts

Just as a matter of interest, does anybody know how many chapters there are in total (out of the 66 books)?

other one

other one

Royal Member

• Royal Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 25,012 posts

The first time I went completely through the Bible was on tape.. (CD)(or mp3 player).   It takes about 85 hours to listen to the whole Bible.   If you drive a lot, you might do it during your drive to work.   An mp3 player will let you even do so on a bus, plane or walking during exercising.   When my knee will let me I listen while riding a stationary bike.

When I read now for some reason it puts me to sleep most of the time.

Some people can't hold audio attention if they are doing other things.

I drove 3 to 6 thousand miles a month for nearly 20 years and it was easy for me to do the Bible twice a year.

other one

other one

Royal Member

• Royal Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 25,012 posts

Just as a matter of interest, does anybody know how many chapters there are in total (out of the 66 books)?

I'll ask Google......

Google says that there are 1,189 chapters and 31, 240 verses, counting some non numbered verses.

http://www.deafmissi...bkchptrvrs.html

Handy information

Edited by other one, 18 July 2014 - 09:47 PM.

OakWood

OakWood

Royal Member

• Royal Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,078 posts

I'll ask Google......

Google says that there are 1,189 chapters and 31, 240 verses, counting some non numbered verses.

Yes thanks, I realised that my question was a bit lazy so I googled it and I got 1189 too. So, I was thinking that when ThereIsFreedom suggested reading 1 chapter a day, so we're talking around 3 to 3 and a half years time it will take to read it all.

That's nearly 'half a trib' in 'Christian money'.

LadyC

LadyC

Royal Member

• Royal Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,973 posts

if you do it in 90 days, i've found it averages about 12 pages per day, give or take a page or two here or there. of course that will vary depending on how many study tools your bible has, what size font you have (i think mine was large print before i switched to reading electronically). maybe you could take the number of pages in your bible, divide by 365, and then you'd have a daily page count to read. 

the last bible i bought for reading straight through was the HCSB daily chronological bible.... on amazon, the title is 'reading God's story: a chronological daily bible'. it is unique (as far as i could find, and i've searched!) in that this daily bible does NOT start on january 1. in fact, it has no dates. it just has it divided into weeks/days... for example week1, day 1. the 7th day is always just a summarized review of what you've read the previous six days. at the end of each day's reading, there is a little check-box for you to mark when you've completed it. (the electronic version also has the check-box, so i can highlight it.) this is an awesome bible... the holman christian standard is easy to read, (although i prefer the NKJV for deep study), and the ability to start whenever you want rather than the beginning of the year is very helpful. i also like that it's chronological. 

hey other one, that falling asleep while you read thing is all about getting old. the older we get, the quicker reading puts us to sleep.

other one

other one

Royal Member

• Royal Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 25,012 posts

hey other one, that falling asleep while you read thing is all about getting old. the older we get, the quicker reading puts us to sleep.

Now you're starting sound like Ted.... LoL

LovelyJoni

LovelyJoni
  • Members
  • 58 posts
Hi, this is the order I've read mine in...
*Ecclesiastes
*Psalms
*Isaiah
*Jeremiah
*The whole New Testament
*Proverbs
*Lamentations-Malachi
*Genesis-2 Kings
*The New Testament
Right now I'm on 2 Kings and The New Testament again. I like to go back and forth and honestly I don't feel right if I don't read. I'd just read as much as you have time for, in my case the Lord has blessed me with much free time.

Medaco

Medaco
  • Members
  • 20 posts
Thanks ya'll

jmlusa2000

jmlusa2000

• Worthy Watchman
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,377 posts

I started reading the Bible again after Easter Sunday of this year. At first, I was reading so much and was spending so much time in the word, that the other parts of my life, and house responsibilities were neglected. I want to read to understand, and develop a closer relationship with God. Everyone has what works best for them. We are all unique. God speed. :) 

Worthy Christian Forums - Christian Message Boards - 1999-2014 part of the Worthy Network