christian forums

Worthy Christian Forums - Christian Forums

Welcome to Worthy Christian Forums
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

A question about God

* * * * * 1 votes

• Please log in to reply
44 replies to this topic

ollkiller

ollkiller

Advanced Member

• Nonbeliever
  • PipPipPip
  • 297 posts
  • Interests:Playing gigs

So here's my question. "If God exists then why dosen't he let people know he exists". I'm 35, never hugely religious, have read the bible when i was a young lad (i'm actually going to launch into it again in a few weeks) but have never felt that i know that God exists.

I have no problem with praising a creator but i have never felt the presence of God so i don't know who or what to praise. I  hope i'm not coming across as arrogant but i would like some sort of sign that he exists. Is this asking too much or is it too much to ask God to reveal himself to you. 

Edited by ollkiller, 21 July 2014 - 08:58 PM.

other one

other one

Royal Member

• Royal Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 24,111 posts
  • Interests:camping computers

he let me know one night in the shower fighting with two demons that was not the least bit hard to believe in....   saved my sorry self   from great disaster.

other one

other one

Royal Member

• Royal Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 24,111 posts
  • Interests:camping computers

btw i would not recommend trying to meet God on a personal level that way..

shiloh357

shiloh357

Royal Member

• Royal Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 32,671 posts
  • Interests:Israel Advocacy Bible Study, Apologetics, Theology, Camping, Hiking, Fishing, Birdwatching, BBQing

So here's my question. "If God exists then why dosen't he let people know he exists". I'm 35, never hugely religious, have read the bible when i was a young lad (i'm actually going to launch into it again in a few weeks) but have never felt that i know that God exists.

I have no problem with praising a creator but i have never felt the presence of God so i don't know who or what to praise. I  hope i'm not coming across as arrogant but i would like some sort of sign that he exists. Is this asking too much or is it too much to ask God to reveal himself to you. 

What if He did let you know He existed?  Then what?

ollkiller

ollkiller

Advanced Member

• Nonbeliever
  • PipPipPip
  • 297 posts

Well that's easy. For one it means everlasting life, who dosen't want that. It would also mean marrying my girlfriend of 13 years so we're not living in sin. The main thing would be that it would be nice to know my religious relatives who have died have gone to somewhere better. I cant see any downside to a God existing. 

Did he reveal himself to other people on this site or is it a faith thing or how did you come to believe.

FresnoJoe

FresnoJoe

Royal Member

• Worthy Watchman
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 42,698 posts
  • Interests:The LORD bless thee, and keep thee: The LORD make his face shine upon thee, and be gracious unto thee: The LORD lift up his countenance upon thee, and give thee peace. And they shall put my name upon the children of Israel; and I will bless them. Numbers 6:24-27 - - - Love, Your Brother Joe

:thumbsup:

Then Paul stood in the midst of Mars' hill, and said, Ye men of Athens, I perceive that in all things ye are too superstitious.

For as I passed by, and beheld your devotions, I found an altar with this inscription, TO THE UNKNOWN GOD. Whom therefore ye ignorantly worship, him declare I unto you.

God that made the world and all things therein, seeing that he is Lord of heaven and earth, dwelleth not in temples made with hands;

Neither is worshipped with men's hands, as though he needed any thing, seeing he giveth to all life, and breath, and all things;

And hath made of one blood all nations of men for to dwell on all the face of the earth, and hath determined the times before appointed, and the bounds of their habitation;

That they should seek the Lord, if haply they might feel after him, and find him, though he be not far from every one of us:

For in him we live, and move, and have our being; as certain also of your own poets have said, For we are also his offspring. Acts 17:22-28

LovelyJoni

LovelyJoni
  • Members
  • 58 posts
  • Interests:Reading my Bible, Praising the Lord, Loving my children, cycling and waiting on Jesus to come back<3
"And ye shall seek me, and find me, when ye shall search for me with all your heart" Jeremiah 29:13

That pretty much sums it up for me, that's when I found Him. I had to get so far away and so low to seek Him, but now I am so, so blessed. Thank You Jesus, amen.

LovelyJoni

LovelyJoni
  • Members
  • 58 posts
  • Interests:Reading my Bible, Praising the Lord, Loving my children, cycling and waiting on Jesus to come back<3
Read, read and read. That's how I found Him and He blessed me with so much faith. It was a slow transition for me but He is so patient and so loving and I am more joy filled every day. I will pray for you.

ayin jade

ayin jade

Royal Member

• Platinum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 34,579 posts

I approached Him in faith and humility. Then He proved Himself to me. 

ollkiller

ollkiller

Advanced Member

• Nonbeliever
  • PipPipPip
  • 297 posts

I approached Him in faith and humility. Then He proved Himself to me. 

When you say proved, was this in the sense that you felt his presence, or did he speak to you. Just wondering. Do people feel his presence spiritually or does it feel likes hes talking to you. Just curious.

1x1is1

1x1is1

Advanced Member

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 383 posts

I've been mad at God, ignored God and of course even insisted that my good works would get me into heaven.  But I can't ever recall thinking that there was no God.  Even before I was born again, I knew that He existed.  My only proof would be that He waited for me to answer the door when He had been knocking for some time.

Bonky

Bonky

• Nonbeliever
  • PipPip
  • 117 posts

Well that's easy. For one it means everlasting life, who dosen't want that. It would also mean marrying my girlfriend of 13 years so we're not living in sin. The main thing would be that it would be nice to know my religious relatives who have died have gone to somewhere better. I cant see any downside to a God existing. 

Did he reveal himself to other people on this site or is it a faith thing or how did you come to believe.

Why would you think you would have everlasting life?

shiloh357

shiloh357

Royal Member

• Royal Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 32,671 posts
  • Interests:Israel Advocacy Bible Study, Apologetics, Theology, Camping, Hiking, Fishing, Birdwatching, BBQing

Believing in God doesn't bring eternal life.   Just because your relatives were "religious"  doesn't mean they went to heaven.  No one goes to heaven just because they participate in the Christian religion.

Would you trust the Lord enough to make Jesus the Lord and Savior of your life?  

countingsheep

countingsheep

• Banned
  • PipPip
  • 115 posts

Job 38:22 "Hast thou entered into the treasures of the snow?" Every snow flake is unique and beautiful - Job37:7 "He sealeth up the hand of every man; that all men may know his work" unique fingerprints... You can ask for proof all day long you can receive answers all day long ..If you are sincere in knowing Him then ask Him sincerely

Glory to God

Edited by countingsheep, 22 July 2014 - 09:48 AM.

Willamina

Willamina

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,075 posts
  • Interests:Birdwatching, Bible study
God reveals Himself in nature. It is in the miracle of new life, the beauty of the relentless crashing waves of the ocean, or the fathomless depths of space and numberless galaxies. Yet in all of it there is one tiny area called earth where mankind can exist. If you can't believe that all of this had to have a Creator, you know little about the statistical laws of probabilites. There is no chance it could have happened by accident.

But believing that such a Creator is aware of something as insignificant is you or me is something else.

I challange you to buy a book called Evidence That Demands a Verdict. Feelings come and go. They are not dependable evidence. The way to know God is to acknowledge that you are not perfect and that there is no possible way for you to get to heaven. You can never be good enough to please God. Then to believe that He loves you and will help you because of Jesus' dieing for you sins. That is when you will begin to feel and think differently. That is also what enables you to start understanding the Bible. That is when you start feeling peace love and joy deep inside. You don't look for feelings. They are the result of what happens when you know that you absolutely need help and you ask God, if there is a God, to help you.

shiloh357

shiloh357

Royal Member

• Royal Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 32,671 posts

Jesus was on the earth and raising people from the dead, healing blind eyes, exercising personal power over nature and yet the majority still did not believe in Him, though He proved Himself before  their very eyes.

In fact, the more people he healed, the more He proved He was God, the more they hated Him.   So in truth, human nature being what it is, there is nothing God could do to prove His existence to anyone that would cause them, on that basis to believe in Him.

It isn't about a lack of evidence.  There is plenty of evidence.  It is the hardness of stubborn, prideful,  wicked human hearts who hate the truth and love sin that keeps people from believing.

gdemoss

gdemoss

Royal Member

• Royal Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,072 posts
  • Interests:Pursuing the fulfillment of the promise that I have been given power to become one of the sons of God.
God revealed himself to me by provoking me to pray to him and then answering my prayers. This began a long journey of getting to know the creator. I have come to know him in ways I never thought possible. I absolutely feel the presence of God in me too. The degree to which I can sense his presence depends on what he ia willing to give of his Spirit unto me. The greatest experience I ever had with his presence left me feeling like I would never need to move again. As if I would never need to eat or drink again. I was absolutely content in every imaginable way. I describe my regular encounters with God as being rocketed into another dimension parallel to our own. Truly head in the clouds and feet on the ground stuff.

I absolutely encourage everyone to seek to know the depths of God.

jerryR34

jerryR34

Veteran Member

• Nonbeliever
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 691 posts

Jesus was on the earth and raising people from the dead, healing blind eyes, exercising personal power over nature and yet the majority still did not believe in Him, though He proved Himself before  their very eyes.

In fact, the more people he healed, the more He proved He was God, the more they hated Him.   So in truth, human nature being what it is, there is nothing God could do to prove His existence to anyone that would cause them, on that basis to believe in Him.

It isn't about a lack of evidence.  There is plenty of evidence.  It is the hardness of stubborn, prideful,  wicked human hearts who hate the truth and love sin that keeps people from believing.

I believe that thre are some who, even if they had evidence and believed in God/Jesus/The Holy Ghost, would not worship He/Them.  Just look at the Bible especially Exodus where God was performing miracles left and right and the Jewish people still wanted to worship a golden calf.  Why...?  Because God made us weak, and allowed suffering. 

I'm sure He knew what He was doing with that combination, but it is difficut to understand how we can be made this way and then punished for our weaknesses.

FresnoJoe

FresnoJoe

Royal Member

• Worthy Watchman
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 42,698 posts
  • Interests:The LORD bless thee, and keep thee: The LORD make his face shine upon thee, and be gracious unto thee: The LORD lift up his countenance upon thee, and give thee peace. And they shall put my name upon the children of Israel; and I will bless them. Numbers 6:24-27 - - - Love, Your Brother Joe

....it is difficult to understand how we can be made this way....

....and then punished for our weaknesses....

~

Beloved,

Let no man say when he is tempted, I am tempted of God: for God cannot be tempted with evil, neither tempteth he any man: James 1:13

Don't Blame

But every man is tempted, when he is drawn away of his own lust, and enticed.

Then when lust hath conceived, it bringeth forth sin: and sin, when it is finished, bringeth forth death. James 1:14-15

God

Do not err, my beloved brethren.

Every good gift and every perfect gift is from above, and cometh down from the Father of lights, with whom is no variableness, neither shadow of turning. James 1:16-17

See....

And I said, My strength and my hope is perished from the LORD:

Remembering mine affliction and my misery, the wormwood and the gall.

My soul hath them still in remembrance, and is humbled in me.

This I recall to my mind, therefore have I hope.

It is of the LORD's mercies that we are not consumed, because his compassions fail not.

They are new every morning: great is thy faithfulness. Lamentations 3:18-23

shiloh357

shiloh357

Royal Member

• Royal Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 32,671 posts

I believe that thre are some who, even if they had evidence and believed in God/Jesus/The Holy Ghost, would not worship He/Them.  Just look at the Bible especially Exodus where God was performing miracles left and right and the Jewish people still wanted to worship a golden calf.  Why...?  Because God made us weak, and allowed suffering. 

Yes, God has revealed himself in miraculous ways and people who knew He existed chose to rebel. But He didn't make us that way.  He didn't make us weak.  God created us perfect and with a heart to love Him.

It is our sin and our rebellion that has brought condemnation on us. 

I'm sure He knew what He was doing with that combination, but it is difficut to understand how we can be made this way and then punished for our weaknesses.

Man is punished because He rejects Jesus and the gift of eternal life

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Worthy Christian Forums - Christian Message Boards - 1999-2014 part of the Worthy Network