christian forums

Worthy Christian Forums - Christian Forums

Welcome to Worthy Christian Forums
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

What comes around goes around

* * * * * 1 votes Do you beleve thats true

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

tigger398

tigger398

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,728 posts

Do you think if someone does something bad to someone, that it will come back at them, or if someone did something good to someone will it come back at them.

firestormx

firestormx

Veteran Member

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 851 posts

Do you think if someone does something bad to some one, that it will come back at them, or if someone did something good to someone will it come back at them.

Galatians 6:7

Be not deceived; God is not mocked: for whatsoever a man sows, that shall he also reap.

Cletus

Cletus

Veteran Member

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 633 posts
When I was young my dad kicked me out to be homeless. To him it was a game, the cops would bring me back home and two weeks later i would get kicked out again. Today he is homeless and no one will have anything to do with him. Not even his own mother. Trust me, even though I dont really like my dad it was heart breaking to see he was gonna have the same happen to him. I do not enjoy it at all.

when you do good, dont be expecting anything in return. If you expect something, you may be disappointed. It will come back to you but maybe just not when or how you think.

OakWood

OakWood

Royal Member

• Royal Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,603 posts
  • Interests:Archery, painting, plants and animals, Medieval history

Do you think if someone does something bad to someone, that it will come back at them, or if someone did something good to someone will it come back at them.

It depends on whether there is repentance or not.

This sounds like you're talking about 'karma', but we Christians don't believe in Karma because it is a closed system where every debt has to be paid.

We have Jesus and Jesus is the only one who can write those debts off.

Hall7

Hall7

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,432 posts

I've observed (in my personal life) that if a Christian does something bad to someone it does come back at them in one way or another, and that if they do something good for someone with a caring heart without expecting anything in return, they are blessed in one way or another.

OneLight

OneLight

Royal Member

• Servant
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 26,346 posts
  • Interests:God, Family, Friends and Climbing

I really enjoy discussing the Bible. There is so much to learn and so much to share.

I am led to reach my hand out, in love, to those in need.
I believe His will will be done, not in karma.

Wildstar

Wildstar

• PipPip
  • 158 posts

Bad or good you get rewarded.  In this life and in the next.  This is why when I do good deeds or go out of my way to do good I know it's like an investment that eventually shows up back up to me

Qnts2

Qnts2

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,353 posts

The very basis of Christianity is that we get what we don't deserve, and don't get what we deserve.

We all deserve punishment for our sins. None of us deserve blessings. Based on our sins, we all deserve hell.  But, Jesus died for our sins, and for those who receive this free gift, gives us the best blessings, and we did not deserve, or could earn any of that. It is a gift from God.

As far as everyday occurences, we go thru times of trial, which God uses for our benefit.  

Romans 8:28

And we know that God causes all things to work together for good to those who love God, to those who are called according to His purpose.

So, Christians don't get what we deserve, and we get what we don't deserve.  

shiloh357

shiloh357

Royal Member

• Royal Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 32,666 posts
  • Interests:Israel Advocacy Bible Study, Apologetics, Theology, Camping, Hiking, Fishing, Birdwatching, BBQing

Sin has built-in consequences.   You reap what you sow in this life, generally speaking.    You don't have to be born into another existence to reap the consequences of sin.

Sevenseas

Sevenseas

Royal Member

• Royal Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,013 posts

Interestingly, the Bible does not say any such thing.  We are informed that God makes it rain on the good and the bad....we are not rewarded for being the good guy here.

I agree that we will reap what we sow because the Bible says that we do...

We are told to pray for those who use us and love our enemies....there is no reward system in place

We usually suffer the consequences of our sins...which is why God tells us to avoid sin...

basically in agreement with post 8, Qnts and Shiloh post 9

Cletus

Cletus

Veteran Member

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 633 posts
No rewards you say? So then whats up with all that in the bible? You know about a crown, and a white robe, sharing Christs throne, eternal life with so much peace and joy that we cant even contain it in this fleshly form, and what Jesus said about going to prepare a place for us which means never ever being homeless, and we get a new name from God, even a new spiritual body, and what about all the places where it says Jesus will give us according to our works I.e. rev. 2:23, and also matt 6:20 where it says to store up treasure in heaven and not on earth. God is an excellet record keeper too. Nothing will be left unaccounted for.

and my favorite one on rewards: isaiah 61:7

JTC

JTC

Veteran Member

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 783 posts
  • Interests:God, The Bible, Philosophy, Photography, and helping others when I can.

I've spent most of my life believing this, and trying to practice it. Not because Eastern religions call it Karma, but because it seems to be true. Go out of your way to do something good for a stranger, and very often some other stranger will do something good for you. Or steal something because it was an easy grab, and maybe a year or more later something will be taken from you. I can see it doesn't work on a preordained basis where if you always do good, nothing but good will come back to you. Sometimes I see people who do the most good, get the worst things back. So actually I have to agree with what Solomon says in Ecclesiastes. And I think all people over 21 should read Ecclesiastes. But I don't think they should have that knowledge while young. Kids need to taught what Cletus said, and that sin has consequences. And even though as an older man I can see where King Solomon was coming from, we have to remember his conclusion of the matter.

13 Let us hear the conclusion of the whole matter: Fear God and keep His commandments, for this is the whole duty of man.

14 For God shall bring every work into judgment, including every secret thing, whether it be good or whether it be evil.

Today we'd say Love God and keep His commandments. It is a better thing to obey God because you love the same things He does. But I have seen why the men of old said fear God. To be without God, whether here or elsewhere is a terrible thing. The only way to be certain of being with Him is to obey Him. And it's best to obey out of love.

shiloh357

shiloh357

Royal Member

• Royal Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 32,666 posts
  • Interests:Israel Advocacy Bible Study, Apologetics, Theology, Camping, Hiking, Fishing, Birdwatching, BBQing

No rewards you say? So then whats up with all that in the bible? You know about a crown, and a white robe, sharing Christs throne, eternal life with so much peace and joy that we cant even contain it in this fleshly form, and what Jesus said about going to prepare a place for us which means never ever being homeless, and we get a new name from God, even a new spiritual body, and what about all the places where it says Jesus will give us according to our works I.e. rev. 2:23, and also matt 6:20 where it says to store up treasure in heaven and not on earth. God is an excellet record keeper too. Nothing will be left unaccounted for.

and my favorite one on rewards: isaiah 61:7

She didn't say that there are no rewards.   Her point is that we are not rewarded, here in this life.

shiloh357

shiloh357

Royal Member

• Royal Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 32,666 posts

Karma is not "rewards program."   Karma is a imperfect system of justice wherein you accumulate "karmic debt" when you do evil.   That debt must be offset by good deeds.  Once all of your karmic debt has been paid off through good deeds, one enters "nirvana."  

The problem is that Karma while being a system of justice, doesn't tell you what exactly constitutes 'good deeds.'  That isn't defined by Karma.  Secondly, no one actually knows how much karmic debt they have accumulated and since they don't what karma sees as "good" there is no way to know if what one considers a "good deed" is actually paying off any of that debt.  

Often we perform good deeds to help the poor, but if that poor person is in the shape they're in because of bad karma, to help that person out of poverty is to interfere with karmic justice  and to do that, means that one accumulates the additional karmic debt of the person they were trying to help.

So if you don't do the good you should, you inherit karmic debt.  If you do the good you should do, and you are interfering with another person's karmic punishment, you inherit more karmic debt.  

Most people tend to have a very shallow of view of just what karma is and how it works.  I prefer the perfect system of justice given to us the Bible and I am grateful that Jesus paid for my sin and I am debt free.  I don't struggle under the weight of having to pay for my sin.   Jesus paid it all.  Way better than karma.

Sevenseas

Sevenseas

Royal Member

• Royal Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,013 posts

As a Christian, we do not do 'good deeds' so that we can get some too.

God doesn't have some big cosmic scales wherein He balances things by what people do.  That, is a totally unbiblical concept.

“Beware of practicing your righteousness before other people in order to be seen by them, for then you will have no reward from your Father who is in heaven. “Thus, when you give to the needy, sound no trumpet before you, as the hypocrites do in the synagogues and in the streets, that they may be praised by others. Truly, I say to you, they have received their reward. But when you give to the needy, do not let your left hand know what your right hand is doing, so that your giving may be in secret. And your Father who sees in secret will reward you."  

Matthew 6: 1-4

Cletus

Cletus

Veteran Member

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 633 posts

I've spent most of my life believing this, and trying to practice it. Not because Eastern religions call it Karma, but because it seems to be true. Go out of your way to do something good for a stranger, and very often some other stranger will do something good for you. Or steal something because it was an easy grab, and maybe a year or more later something will be taken from you. I can see it doesn't work on a preordained basis where if you always do good, nothing but good will come back to you. Sometimes I see people who do the most good, get the worst things back. So actually I have to agree with what Solomon says in Ecclesiastes. And I think all people over 21 should read Ecclesiastes. But I don't think they should have that knowledge while young. Kids need to taught what Cletus said, and that sin has consequences. And even though as an older man I can see where King Solomon was coming from, we have to remember his conclusion of the matter.13 Let us hear the conclusion of the whole matter: Fear God and keep His commandments, for this is the whole duty of man.14 For God shall bring every work into judgment, including every secret thing, whether it be good or whether it be evil.
Today we'd say Love God and keep His commandments. It is a better thing to obey God because you love the same things He does. But I have seen why the men of old said fear God. To be without God, whether here or elsewhere is a terrible thing. The only way to be certain of being with Him is to obey Him. And it's best to obey out of love.

when I first cried out to God that is the exact scripture He started me on. What I got from that scripture that night is... this is the purpose of life, which many are seeking and look to other things to fill the void. Only living waters can quench that thirst. Also a lot can be found in proverbs about folly following those who do wrong. I really like how johnathan edwards put it how nothings there to keep the wicked from slipping and falling right into hell but Gods hand is there to uphold the righteous. I am speaking on his sermon, sinners in the hand of an angry God. Transcripts can be found online for anyone who has not read/heard this sermon. I like to read it every so often as its got excellent insight. I recommend to read it at least once.

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Worthy Christian Forums - Christian Message Boards - 1999-2014 part of the Worthy Network