christian forums

Worthy Christian Forums - Christian Forums

Welcome to Worthy Christian Forums
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

John Bunyan vs. Joseph Smith

* * * * * 1 votes

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
5 replies to this topic

Samonee

Samonee
  • Members
  • 39 posts
I just started reading Pilgrim's Progress. I found a study guide for it @ bunyanministries. Was reading in the study guide that John Bunyan ministered during a tumultuous period that included monarchial tyranny, civil war, fire, plague & intense conflict between establishment religion & zealous Puritanism.
Joseph Smith grew up in some of the similar religious unrest or questionings.
I find it interesting that John Bunyan wrote Pilgrim's Progress, a book that is very closely aligned to the Bible. However, Joseph Smith said that he was told that none of the religions was correct. That they were all false. And he wrote The Book of Mormon, which is not closely aligned to the Bible.
Just wanted to post my observations.
:)

FresnoJoe

FresnoJoe

Royal Member

• Worthy Watchman
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 43,107 posts

Amen~!

clean

clean

• PipPip
  • 127 posts

Mormonism teaches something similar to what Eve was tempted with, false claims to be able to become a god.

http://www.utlm.org/...obecomegods.htm

A lot of sources cite Joseph Smith and some other early Mormons as freemasons.  I hope the Mormons wake up spiritually and realize who the founder of their religion was.

Genesis 3:5

Edited by clean, 23 August 2014 - 08:00 AM.

Samonee

Samonee
  • Members
  • 39 posts
True Mormonism does teach about how to become a god.

He giveth more grace

He giveth more grace

Royal Member

• Royal Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,923 posts

When I hear the name John Bunyan I alway think of the giant lumberman and his giant Ox Blue. ;-)

John Bunyan was arrested for his preaching, If I recall, and he wanted to help his daughter understand the Christian walk, so he wrote Pilgrim's Progress in a crypted way so that it would not be stopped by the guards or what have you.

He giveth more grace

He giveth more grace

Royal Member

• Royal Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,923 posts

Charles H. Spurgeon on Paul Bunyan

Have you never seen an earnest minister, with hands uplifted and eyes dropping tears, pleading with the sons of men?

Mr. Bunyan is the chief, and head, and lord of all allegorists, and is not to be followed by us into the deep places of typical and symbolical utterance.  He was a swimmer, we are but mere waders, and must not go beyond our depth.

Worthy Christian Forums - Christian Message Boards - 1999-2014 part of the Worthy Network