christian forums

Worthy Christian Forums - Christian Forums

Welcome to Worthy Christian Forums
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

church cancels gay man's funeral

* * * * * 1 votes

• Please log in to reply
62 replies to this topic

ayin jade

ayin jade

Royal Member

• Platinum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 34,539 posts

Should they or shouldnt they have done so? 

http://www.myfoxtamp...use-man-was-gay

Advancing

Advancing
  • Members
  • 10 posts

It's their church why not?  The only issue I see is them canceling it 1 day before.  They should of never scheduled it, if they had no plans to do it.

MorningGlory

MorningGlory

Royal Member

• Royal Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 32,597 posts

No one should be denied a funeral.  This was just wrong. 

Butero

Butero

Royal Member

• Royal Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,693 posts
  • Interests:Religion, Politics, Music, Sports

The church wasn't aware of all the facts before agreeing to do the funeral.  I am fine with their decision. 

Wildstar

Wildstar

• PipPip
  • 147 posts
  • Interests:Free Christian Books, E-books and bible studies at www.nlmusa.com

Seems okay to me.  They weren't aware they were both men who were married.  Homosexuality is a sin and maybe they didn't want it part of their church.  

Logan

Logan

Veteran Member

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 551 posts

If you read the article, the pastor was aware before he agreed to do it. 

Butero

Butero

Royal Member

• Royal Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,693 posts

I didn't get that from the article.  It never says the Pastor was aware the man was a homosexual.  It says he made the arrangements and notices went out, but it doesn't say he knew the man was gay.  Even if he did, I think the church officials had every right to object. 

Wildstar

Wildstar

• PipPip
  • 147 posts
  • Interests:Free Christian Books, E-books and bible studies at www.nlmusa.com

If you read the article, the pastor was aware before he agreed to do it. 

Really? I didn't read the article to the bottom.  But a little bit over half way and it gave me the assumption that 'after he found out he had a husband' in their words he canceled.  

Logan

Logan

Veteran Member

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 551 posts

He cancelled it after the notices went out bc people were upset. And I do think if they don't want to do a service for a homosexual, they shouldn't do it. But they shouldn't agree to do it then cancel with one day notice. People are under enough stress at those times without the church adding to it.

Butero

Butero

Royal Member

• Royal Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,693 posts

If everyone knew up front the guy was a homosexual, I would agree that they shouldn't have cancelled it, but according to the article, it seems clear they weren't aware of it.  I believe the church was well within it's rights to cancel the funeral, and they did try to make other arrangements. 

Rustyangel

Rustyangel

Royal Member

• Worthy Chat Servant
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,382 posts
  • Interests:Dog training, fellowshipping with my family at Worthy. Worshiping the Lord in song. Sharing Jesus with those who do not know Him.

The church wasn't aware of all the facts before agreeing to do the funeral.  I am fine with their decision. 

I agree with Butero.  What be next gays wanting to be married in that church?

the_patriot2014

the_patriot2014

Royal Member

• Platinum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,624 posts
  • Interests:Church, spending time with the family, Hunting, Fishing, shooting, camping, anything outdoors really, occasionally dabling in the finer arts of computers.
If they had had issues with it they shouldn't have scheduled it. To initially say yes then back out at the last minute-that's dishonest and quite frankly wrong.

Logan

Logan

Veteran Member

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 551 posts

I agree that 

If they had had issues with it they shouldn't have scheduled it. To initially say yes then back out at the last minute-that's dishonest and quite frankly wrong.

Exactly...if you don't want to do it, don't. But don't say yes then back out. Plus they lost an excellent opportunity for the preacher to speak to and have the attention of everyone at the service.

Cletus

Cletus

Veteran Member

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 601 posts
The only reason this is in the news is the gay agenda. Apart of the gay agenda says to play the victim. There is a book called "after the ball" that outlines the gay agenda, its goals, and its plans and tactics to reach these goals. I have seen christians told to leave a church just because they didnt believe exactly what the church doctorine said.
The truth is either way it would have been bad publicity for the church wether they refused upfront, or they cancelled. It would have made headlines either way. This is how it is now between the gay community and the church. Get used to it. They are just getting warmed up.

edit. I do agree with the bible though when it talks about "dealbreakers" ... its connotation is negative. We should honor our word.

Butero

Butero

Royal Member

• Royal Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,693 posts

What is a Christian minister supposed to say at such a funeral?  Does he preach a message against sodomy?  He certainly can't give any sincere hope that the guy is in heaven.  It appears to me that this was scheduled under false pretenses and the church did the right thing in backing out.  I know that if it was my church, and someone came to me to do a funeral like that, if I knew up front the man was gay, I would have refused.  If I was misled and found out later, I would have either refused or I would have told the people up front that I can't offer any hope to this person, so they would be better off to go elsewhere.  This truly is a no win situation for the church, but I fully support them cancelling the funeral.  Seriously, what can a Christian minister say at such an event?  Logan says he missed an opportunity to preach.  What is he supposed to preach about?  Does he turn to a text about the destruction of Sodom and Gomorah to try to scare any homosexuals into getting saved?  Is that appropriate at a funeral? 

Diatheosis

Diatheosis

Advanced Member

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 358 posts
  • Interests:God's supernatural reality in action, Jesus walking amidst us, exposing the end time deception, biblical languages, prophetic.

Some things we do sure appear more appalling and we can read about the procedure as for them. I am not claiming this was the case, but what if a person has homosexual feelings, yet wants to follow Christ, and is struggling about it? Again, I am not saying this was the case with this news, but should a homosexual person be denied a funeral at a church? Probably there's a difference if the person was actively practicing it or not, and apparently the former was true as for what had happened.

But what if the person was going through a struggle about it. Does not God look at the state of our heart?

What sayest thou?

Butero

Butero

Royal Member

• Royal Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,693 posts

It is a completely different situation.  That is what I say.  The person in this instance was in a homosexual marriage.  In your situation, the person did have a hope of being in heaven, so it makes a world of difference. 

shiloh357

shiloh357

Royal Member

• Royal Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 32,629 posts
  • Interests:Israel Advocacy Bible Study, Apologetics, Theology, Camping, Hiking, Fishing, Birdwatching, BBQing

I don't see where the article said that the Pastor knew the man was gay beforehand. 

the_patriot2014

the_patriot2014

Royal Member

• Platinum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,624 posts
  • Interests:Church, spending time with the family, Hunting, Fishing, shooting, camping, anything outdoors really, occasionally dabling in the finer arts of computers.

The only reason this is in the news is the gay agenda. Apart of the gay agenda says to play the victim. There is a book called "after the ball" that outlines the gay agenda, its goals, and its plans and tactics to reach these goals. I have seen christians told to leave a church just because they didnt believe exactly what the church doctorine said.
The truth is either way it would have been bad publicity for the church wether they refused upfront, or they cancelled. It would have made headlines either way. This is how it is now between the gay community and the church. Get used to it. They are just getting warmed up.
edit. I do agree with the bible though when it talks about "dealbreakers" ... its connotation is negative. We should honor our word.

That maybe true-but the right thing to do would have still been to refuse up front or not at all.

Butero

Butero

Royal Member

• Royal Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,693 posts

I would agree with you Patriot, if those in the church knew the man was gay and in a homosexual marriage from the start.  From this article, it appears to me they did not know that was the case.  I wouldn't doubt it was hidden on purpose to create a story.  I really would need to ask the Pastor and those involved in the leadership of that church a couple of questions before I could give an absolute opinion on what occurred. 

I am curious Patriot, and I already asked this.  If you were the minister of the church, what in the world do you say in a sermon for a man that was in a homosexual marriage, when you know that according to scripture, he died with no hope?  Do you call the guy a "good and loving husband?"  What in the world do you say? 

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Worthy Christian Forums - Christian Message Boards - 1999-2014 part of the Worthy Network