christian forums

Worthy Christian Forums - Christian Forums

Welcome to Worthy Christian Forums
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

New Here: Prodigal Son

* * * * * 1 votes Prodigal Son

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
9 replies to this topic

Oldest Son

Oldest Son
  • 1 posts

Hi I'm new and this is going to sound like a dumb question but it's important. Can someone please explain the story of the Prodigal son to me? I understand the analogy for repenting sinners, but it still doesn't make sense. Why did the father reward his youngest son for going out and spending all the money? Why didn't he also reward the Oldest Son with a bigger party for being loyal to the Father? The Oldest Son stayed with his Dad and helped him, but he was still never rewarded and blown off while the Dad spoiled the younger brother, almost as if he was rewarding him for leaving. It doesn't make sense to me...

Jerry1023

Jerry1023

Advanced Member

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 415 posts
Welcome to worthy!

From my own understanding,if you read the passage very well,which is Luke 15:11-32"
You will understand that,God love us so much,
No sin that God can not forgive,
all we need to do is to acknowledge our sins,and confess and forsake them,
I know you already know all this,
to answer your question to my best ability,
Please iam just giving my own opinion,according to my understanding,iam here to learn,
look at what the father said to him,in vers 31" ALL THAT I HAVE IS THINE"

And he said unto him, son,thou art ever with me,and all that i have is thine,
Luke 15:31"
Which mean that the oldest son have the right to eat what ever he like in the house,
Jesus came because of the lost son.

Snow

Snow

• PipPip
  • 212 posts

Welcome to Worthy  Oldest Son!   You  might  find  Your  answers in  the  main  forum  area  or You  could  even  start a new  thread  there     this  is  only  the  Welcome  area  and  not  meant  for  questions  though

God Bless

OakWood

OakWood

Royal Member

• Royal Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,078 posts

Welcome to Worthy.

jmlusa2000

jmlusa2000

• Worthy Watchman
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,377 posts

Welcome to worthy. :)

kwikphilly

kwikphilly

Royal Member

• Royal Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,509 posts

Blessings Oldest Son,

Welcome to Worthy.....Praise the Lord,this will be a good topic for the appropriate forum & I will look forward to participating.....after you have only 5 posts you can start a thread & ask the question where you will get the most responses,this is just the welcome forum & so our Brothers & Sisters just come to welcome you in to our Worthy Family..........I will be looking for your thread on this topic!             With love-in Christ,Kwik

alien224

alien224

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,186 posts
Oldest son hi and welcome. Well in my opinion as I am a mother of two very wonderful grown children, as a parent each child is different. My oldest has always been very smart talented learned fast. My youngest struggled with everything. I think we tend to give more guidance to the child that needs it the most. When I read the story of the prodical son I kind of understand. The youngest needed to learn or grow up. The Father knew he would probably squander everything but he loved him so much he let him learn his lessons so when he came back home he would be greatful for what he had all along but could not see. The oldest already knew these things. He didn't need to learn the lessons in that way. That is a really great story and carries so many deep theological points. The analogy with our savior being one. Again this is just my opinion and I hope it was helpful. There are very many here on worthy who may have better explanations than I but I try to break things down simply so that all may understand. I hope this was somewhat helpful to you. God bless.

19Duggarfan

19Duggarfan

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,082 posts

Hello Oldest Son, and welcome to Worthy.

IMO the father in this story represents our Heavenly Father and as we all needed to come to Christ to be saved we all have a day when there was joy in heaven over our repenting of our sins and coming to Jesus Christ.   So in this way we are all like the younger son, till we came to Jesus as our Redeemer, we care not for the things of God, but instead for the things of the world.  But the elder son in this story is a type of Jew or religious person who hang to they self righteousness, for the older boy, had much in which he could be proud, but still we can tell just by his attitude he was not that close to his father.  One reason I see it being this way is because of what Jesus says earlier in this chapter of Luke.

I say unto you, that likewise joy shall be in heaven, over one sinner that repenteth, more than over ninety and nine just persons, who need no repentance.

Luke 15:7

The parable is about how God the Father longs to have fallen man, return to Him thru God the Son, and when one come to Christ Jesus, their is so great of Joy in Heaven. 

Willa

Willa

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,401 posts
As I understand the Jewish culture, the oldest son would receive the double portion and the blessing, while the younger son the single portion. So the younger son came back with nothing and would receive no more.
Yet, we, like the prodigal, when we realize we will die without our Heavenly Father's help, and we realize that we have sinned against God as well as man, we change our mind, confess our sin, and return to our Father. This gives so much hope to back sliders and sinners.
Meanwhile his earthly father was worried sick about his son, and having found him celebrated with a feast.
Instead of being overjoyed to see his brother, the older brother became envious that his father has given him a feast. Yet he had everything his father owned! But he did not have enough love in his heart to even welcome his foolish little brother. That is a sad comment on the older brother. And it shows how his self righteous attitude has destroyed his love.

1 Cor 13:3-6 And though I bestow all my goods to feed the poor, and though I give my body to be burned, but have not love, I am nothing. Love suffers long and is kind; love does not envy; love does not parade itself, is not puffed up; does not behave rudely, does not seek its own, is not provoked, thinks no evil; NKJV

You are most welcome here!
Willa

FresnoJoe

FresnoJoe

Royal Member

• Worthy Watchman
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 43,883 posts

Welcome~!

Worthy Christian Forums - Christian Message Boards - 1999-2014 part of the Worthy Network