christian forums

Worthy Christian Forums - Christian Forums

Welcome to Worthy Christian Forums
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Your Faith And Your Politics

* * * * * 1 votes politics

• Please log in to reply
78 replies to this topic

Michael Colton

Michael Colton
  • Nonbeliever
  • 26 posts

Something that has always been an interest for me is how people manage the interaction between their faith and their politics. I have met Christians who were very politically active from an explicitly Christian point of view, and I have met others that seemed to separate their faith and their political views. And even still others who avoided politics altogether.

How does your faith inform your political views and activity?

MorningGlory

MorningGlory

Royal Member

• Royal Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 32,597 posts

Mostly, not at all.  Except on such things as abortion and same-sex marriage.  I would not vote for anyone who supports those things. 

LadyC

LadyC

Royal Member

• Royal Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,615 posts
  • Interests:my interests vary from week to week, but my faith never does!

there are a lot of christians who feel that christians should have nothing at all to do with politics. personally, i feel that we have an obligation to be at least aware, and to do our part when it comes to voting and things like that. i also think that we need to be vocal about our beliefs. for instance, let's take the whole hobby lobby controversy as an example. if christians sit back and twiddle their thumbs, then religious freedoms are going to go right down the toilet. we MUST speak up for what is right. i think in recent years there have been a number of things played out in the public arena where our rights were at stake, and because people are starting to be vocal, i think it's making a difference. a small one maybe, but it's noticeable.

in general, i try to avoid discussing politics these days. i used to follow everything, debate contantly, and get so riled up that my family didn't want to be around me. my husband had one friend that would intentionally bring up stuff just to badger me with... i'm not sure whether he liked me getting all upset, or if he liked making my husband squirm because of our heated discussion.

honestly, i have found i'm much happier, much more at peace, and less stressed out all the time since i quit engaging in political skirmishes.

Michael Colton

Michael Colton
  • Nonbeliever
  • 26 posts

honestly, i have found i'm much happier, much more at peace, and less stressed out all the time since i quit engaging in political skirmishes.

I have noticed a similar thing with myself. I used to debate anyone, anywhere, about any political issue. Now that I pick and choose more carefully, it makes things much more calm.

LadyC

LadyC

Royal Member

• Royal Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,615 posts
  • Interests:my interests vary from week to week, but my faith never does!

oh so we DO have something besides basic humanity in common!

(or maybe that is part of basic humanity?) :P

Michael Colton

Michael Colton
  • Nonbeliever
  • 26 posts

:) It certainly does get tiresome to be riled up all of the time, pretty hard to disagree with that. Peace is much better.

Oh, and for my original topic over in the welcome area, I was unable to continue responding to people once my account was put in the 'unbeliever' category. I don't want anyone to think I was being rude by not responding any longer.

Parker1

Parker1

Royal Member

• Royal Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,098 posts
  • Interests:Growing in the knowledge of and having a relationship with Jesus the Christ; Football.

My politics hang on abortion. If you ever voted for abortion choice, you won't get my vote. If I have no one to vote for, then I write in Jesus Christ. And, I don't debate politics and religion. I'll tell you where I stand if you ask me, but I never start a conversation or engage in debate about it.

John Robinson

John Robinson

Advanced Member

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 409 posts
  • Interests:my family, writing, film, politics, eschatology, classic rock

What they said. :happyhappy:

In the past I crossed party lines on certain issues (heck, back in in my atheistic hippie days I was a McGovern campaign worker!), but those days are gone. Anymore I just vote on the issues, and as far as candidates, I check their stance against the Word. If none of them line up with that, I'll write someone in. What I WON'T do is refuse to vote at all. Too many of my friends and brothers died face-down in the mud in some of the worst hellholes on the planet to buy us all that right.

Butero

Butero

Royal Member

• Royal Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,707 posts
  • Interests:Religion, Politics, Music, Sports

I am politically conservative, and would be a conservative regardless of my faith.  I first got involved in politics as a result of the damage being done to this country by the liberal policies of Jimmy Carter.  I attended my first Republican party meeting at age 15, and worked to round up votes for Ronald Reagan before I was old enough to vote.  I believe in small government and low taxes.  I would hold to those views regardless.  I was already pro-life and opposed to the homosexual agenda.  My religious views haven't made me change my original positions, but it has made one difference.  I was not only opposed to the homosexual agenda, but I hated homosexuals.  I used to tell people they should round them all up, put them on an island, and blow it up, and the world would be a better place.  Becoming a Christian has caused me to no longer hate homosexuals, only the sin.  I don't wish them harm, but desire they would come to the Lord and be saved.  Jesus has taken the hate out of my heart, but my Christian faith has made me stronger in my conservative political views.  I won't vote for any pro-choice candidate if there is a pro-life opponent, and I will not support candidates that support gay marriage.  That is not based on hatred, but on my belief that marriage is an institution created by God between a man and a woman, and my knowledge that God hates the sin of sodomy. 

Why do I believe in conservative politics?   I believe that liberal policies do more harm than good, even if they are done with good intentions.  My first job paid minimum wage, but I had already figured that I should do pretty good since I was living at home at the time, and had some idea what I should bring home.  I was shocked when I saw my first check, and all the money that was taken out for taxes and social security.  My income would have placed me below the poverty level, but I still had a huge chunk taken out by the government.  That was hardly helping the little guy.  I sought to get a job that would pay more money that I was fully qualified for, only to find out I couldn't have it because I was white.  Now I was dealing with reverse discrimination.  On another job, I was only allowed to work 38 hours a week, because if I slipped and wound up going past 40 hours, that meant I had to get time and a half.  I was on a flexible schedule, so I couldn't work a part time job.  The time and a half law meant to help the little guy harmed me.  I would have been glad to have worked 60 hours a week at regular pay, but I wasn't given that option.  I saw sewing factories in my town go under one by one, along with the retirement of many women, because of increases in the minimum wage.  All the things meant to help people made life harder for them, and I am not talking about the wealthy.  I believe in a government that is a small as possible, that requires as little tax money as possible, and that regulates us as little as possible.  I don't want the government making me buy insurance I don't want, or making me do things like wear a seat belt.  I want them to leave me alone.  I would rather have a society where the people sink or swim on their own, rather than have a massive welfare state.  For that reason, I would be an ultra conservative Republican or perhaps a pro-life Libertarian, regardless of my religious views. 

kwikphilly

kwikphilly

Royal Member

• Royal Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,785 posts
  • Interests:My Heavenly Father,Jesus Christ,the Holy Spirit,the Bible,people,all Gods creatures(great,small & furry),from the sublime to the ridiculous,learning in general,artwork,animal trainer,cooking & eating,laughing

Blessings Michael

Welcome to Worthy.........I am not really big on discussing politics but I do have a very strong conviction on politicians that have no regard for the One that placed them in a position where they can make a difference ,this Country was founded on the Word of God & anyone who does not uphold what is good,what is right & the things of God does not have my vote................God Bless America & I pray He continues to Bless us as a Nation,the Lord says I am to obey the law,submit to Authority & pray for my leaders.....I can do all those things whether I vote for them or not but I cannot & will not support immorality & sin,,,so I would have to say my Faith dominates my political views....................                                                                                                   With love-in Christ,Kwik

CurtisCWilson

CurtisCWilson

• PipPip
  • 121 posts
1Ti 2:1  I exhort therefore, that, first of all, supplications, prayers, intercessions, and giving of thanks, be made for all men; 
1Ti 2:2  For kings, and for all that are in authority; that we may lead a quiet and peaceable life in all godliness and honesty.

We are commanded to pray for those in authority, so we might live a quite, and peaceable life in all Godliness. That means we need to know what is going on in our government, and what politics and laws are being passed, because it affects us all.
It would not be wise to pray for someone in a public office who you know is not a Godly person, and then ask God to them "wisdom" to guide our country. That would be the same thing as asking God to give the Devil wisdom!!!
We pray for those we know who are Godly, and ask for them to have Godly Wisdom. Those who we know are not Godly, we are to pray for their removal from office.
We can not know who these people are without keeping up with the political system.

Edited by CurtisCWilson, 14 August 2014 - 07:47 PM.

Butero

Butero

Royal Member

• Royal Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,707 posts
  • Interests:Religion, Politics, Music, Sports

I agree with you Curtis.  We can also pray that the scales be lifted from their eyes so they can see the error of their ways and govern in a way pleasing to God.  I would never pray that an evil leader be granted wisdom to continue their mischief, but regardless of how unlikely it is, there is that small chance that an evil person in leadership could come to know God and mend their ways. 

I do believe in being active in politics.  Paul took full advantage of his Roman citizenship, and I look at this as an example to us.  We are to be wise as serpents, yet harmless as doves.  Know the people running for office and what they stand for.  Make wise choices based on their stance on the issues.  We get stuck with bad choices during general elections because people don't get involved during the primaries.  Then they complain about being stuck with the lesser of two evils.  I prefer to vote for someone I am full unity with, but I will still find myself voting for the lesser of two evils.  I was not thrilled with McCain or Romney, and for that matter, even Bob Dole back in 1996, but they were all better than the alternative.  The policies these men and women put in place effect our lives, so we need to do our part to keep bad people out of government. 

kwikphilly

kwikphilly

Royal Member

• Royal Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,785 posts
  • Interests:My Heavenly Father,Jesus Christ,the Holy Spirit,the Bible,people,all Gods creatures(great,small & furry),from the sublime to the ridiculous,learning in general,artwork,animal trainer,cooking & eating,laughing

For anyone unGodly I pray that God draws them unto Himself & they come to the foot of the cross........We don't pray for the devils advocate to have Wisdom or that they be removed from office(of course you can if you want to) ...I pray they come to know Jesus & that my Fathers Will be done..............look at Saul-lol

We pray that our government leaders will establish domestic peace and prevent evil doers from prospering as it says in your Word, “A wise king winnows out the wicked.”  (Proverbs 20:26 NIV)  “Kings detest wrongdoing, for a throne is established through righteousness.”  (Provers 16:12 NIV)  “Righteousness exalts a nation, but sin is a disgrace to any people.”  (Proverbs 14:34 NIV)   Guide our leaders in defending our communities from threats of lawlessness within our borders and from outside of  our borders.

But most of all, give our government leaders a deep and abiding faith in you.  We claim these promises for them today, “Love and faithfulness keep a king safe; through love his throne is made secure.”  (Proverbs 20:27 NIV)  “When a man’s ways are pleasing to the Lord, he makes even his enemies live at peace with him.” (Proverbs 16:7)  Give our leaders a strong, trusting relationship with Jesus Christ the Good Shepherd that our leaders might in turn be truly good shepherds of their flock You have entrusted to them.We pray in the name of Christ the Everlasting King, Amen                                     Copyright Karen Barber 2012  All rights reserved.

Love, Kwik

jtibasima

jtibasima
  • 1 posts

Wow, I really appreciate your comments....in Africa the situation is almost the same politicwise but as christians we lose control in front of our government  leaders or we just shut up feareing the that one can be eaesily killed or arrested when you give different opinion from those who are in power. Nevertheless, we have the responsibility to call upon the intervention of the Almighty God to transform the way our government leaders act when in power...we pray that they bring domestic peace, social equity and they prevent evil doings from among the decision makers. We believe that everything we ask sincerely from our God, He is faithful and just to give it to us. 

In Christ with much agape love,

JohnTibasima

FresnoJoe

FresnoJoe

Royal Member

• Worthy Watchman
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 42,678 posts
  • Interests:The LORD bless thee, and keep thee: The LORD make his face shine upon thee, and be gracious unto thee: The LORD lift up his countenance upon thee, and give thee peace. And they shall put my name upon the children of Israel; and I will bless them. Numbers 6:24-27 - - - Love, Your Brother Joe

:thumbsup:

Well,

I exhort therefore, that, first of all, supplications, prayers, intercessions, and giving of thanks, be made for all men;

For kings, and for all that are in authority; that we may lead a quiet and peaceable life in all godliness and honesty.

For this is good and acceptable in the sight of God our Saviour;

Who will have all men to be saved, and to come unto the knowledge of the truth.

For there is one God, and one mediator between God and men, the man Christ Jesus; 1 Timothy 2:1-5

There You Are

Bless them that curse you, and pray for them which despitefully use you. Luke 6:28

:)

OakWood

OakWood

Royal Member

• Royal Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,603 posts
  • Interests:Archery, painting, plants and animals, Medieval history

I am politically conservative, and would be a conservative regardless of my faith.  I first got involved in politics as a result of the damage being done to this country by the liberal policies of Jimmy Carter.  I attended my first Republican party meeting at age 15, and worked to round up votes for Ronald Reagan before I was old enough to vote.  I believe in small government and low taxes.  I would hold to those views regardless.  I was already pro-life and opposed to the homosexual agenda.  My religious views haven't made me change my original positions, but it has made one difference.  I was not only opposed to the homosexual agenda, but I hated homosexuals.  I used to tell people they should round them all up, put them on an island, and blow it up, and the world would be a better place.  Becoming a Christian has caused me to no longer hate homosexuals, only the sin.  I don't wish them harm, but desire they would come to the Lord and be saved.  Jesus has taken the hate out of my heart, but my Christian faith has made me stronger in my conservative political views.  I won't vote for any pro-choice candidate if there is a pro-life opponent, and I will not support candidates that support gay marriage.  That is not based on hatred, but on my belief that marriage is an institution created by God between a man and a woman, and my knowledge that God hates the sin of sodomy. 

Why do I believe in conservative politics?   I believe that liberal policies do more harm than good, even if they are done with good intentions.  My first job paid minimum wage, but I had already figured that I should do pretty good since I was living at home at the time, and had some idea what I should bring home.  I was shocked when I saw my first check, and all the money that was taken out for taxes and social security.  My income would have placed me below the poverty level, but I still had a huge chunk taken out by the government.  That was hardly helping the little guy.  I sought to get a job that would pay more money that I was fully qualified for, only to find out I couldn't have it because I was white.  Now I was dealing with reverse discrimination.  On another job, I was only allowed to work 38 hours a week, because if I slipped and wound up going past 40 hours, that meant I had to get time and a half.  I was on a flexible schedule, so I couldn't work a part time job.  The time and a half law meant to help the little guy harmed me.  I would have been glad to have worked 60 hours a week at regular pay, but I wasn't given that option.  I saw sewing factories in my town go under one by one, along with the retirement of many women, because of increases in the minimum wage.  All the things meant to help people made life harder for them, and I am not talking about the wealthy.  I believe in a government that is a small as possible, that requires as little tax money as possible, and that regulates us as little as possible.  I don't want the government making me buy insurance I don't want, or making me do things like wear a seat belt.  I want them to leave me alone.  I would rather have a society where the people sink or swim on their own, rather than have a massive welfare state.  For that reason, I would be an ultra conservative Republican or perhaps a pro-life Libertarian, regardless of my religious views. 

That's interesting that you say that because I was Left-Wing before I found God. My politics changed to staunchly Conservative/Libertarian after becoming a believer. I truly am afraid of big government. Let the free market do what it wants and the little man will prosper around it, but let the government make all your decisions for you and you'll see your freedoms taken away one by one.

Michael Colton

Michael Colton
  • Nonbeliever
  • 26 posts

Thank you for all the responses. Can someone please tell the people in my first thread that I am no longer allowed by the website to reply in that thread since my account was labeled 'unbeliever.' They are asking me questions, but I am unable to respond.

Edit: Hmm, it seemed to have fixed itself. Last night it would not let me respond in that thread any longer, but I may be able to now. Odd.

Edited by Michael Colton, 15 August 2014 - 10:38 AM.

OldSchool2

OldSchool2

• Worthy Writers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,563 posts
  • Interests:Getting fewer as I get older.

Something that has always been an interest for me is how people manage the interaction between their faith and their politics. I have met Christians who were very politically active from an explicitly Christian point of view, and I have met others that seemed to separate their faith and their political views. And even still others who avoided politics altogether.

Ironic considering that your avatar is a political activist who is an atheist.

Fez

Fez

Royal Member

• Servant
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,484 posts
  • Interests:Many and varied. Any technology with blinking and flashing lights, no matter what it does...

As long as one treats all politicians the same, no matter what they say they stand for, and the bible as the one and only truth, one will be fine with politics and religion.

gray wolf

gray wolf

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,389 posts
I am actually a bit of a socialist in some ways, but I'm also conservative at times. I think there are important issues, but I am not a one issue voter. You have to consider all of a candidates views. If a candidate is against gay marriage, yet espouses communist ideology, do you vote for him?
One thing that bothers me is that if you are an evangelical, you are expected to support the Republicsn party.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: politics

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Worthy Christian Forums - Christian Message Boards - 1999-2014 part of the Worthy Network