christian forums

Worthy Christian Forums - Christian Forums

Welcome to Worthy Christian Forums
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

What is a boss to you

* * * * * 1 votes Should they be a friend

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
5 replies to this topic

tigger398

tigger398

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,784 posts

At my job, Everyone hangs out with the boss, and puts her on fb. I think a boss is a boss not a friend. I also think adding your boss on fb is a mistake. Should a boss be a friend.

He giveth more grace

He giveth more grace

Royal Member

• Royal Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,923 posts
After work I don't see any problem wit socializing, but ground rules should be laid that we I am dealing with that person as supervision and superior and all friend is not in play.

other one

other one

Royal Member

• Royal Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 25,012 posts

Tiger, I think it would depend on the two people....   I have worked with people who were my direct manager and we were very good friends......    but we had an understanding that most people don't have.....    Number one he never told me to do anything.....  period.       But I never refused anything that he/she told me needed to be done or make happen.

As time went along and we went to self managing workgroups, they would just leave us email that such and such needed to happen and our workgroup with no one in charge made it happen.....    Even in a huge corporation as Xerox was it made for a very pleasant work environment pertaining to company stuff........      Dealing with angry customers was a way different thing.....   but we learned ways around that also.

The managers that ran roughshod over people didn't last long there.....   Most of the people socialized with the management within our organization and it worked very well.   However Xerox was very very selective about who they hired.   

So it would just depend on the two people and the circumstances.

MorningGlory

MorningGlory

Royal Member

• Royal Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 32,598 posts

I would say no.  I don't want my boss having access to anything in my personal life and he knows next to nothing about me outside the company. I don't discuss anything of a personal nature (family's names, occupations, religion, politics, etc.)  at work, with anyone.  You'd be amazed how much people divulge to relative strangers.  I deactivated my FB account (not for that reason) but I wouldn't 'friend' him, or anyone I work with, if it was still active.  Personal info can be used against you in a corporate culture.  Best to keep a healthy distance with bosses and co-workers.

the_patriot2014

the_patriot2014

Royal Member

• Platinum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,907 posts
A lot depends on the job. If its a large company I don't socialize with the boss much. But like where I'm at now-smaller company, add into that my job field let's me work independently from my immediate supervisors the vast majority of the time without needing any input from them, well I have no issues with hanging out with my boss after work. Though as a general rule I never have them in Facebook until they are no longer my boss.

Butero

Butero

Royal Member

• Royal Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 22,034 posts

I think it depends on the people involved.  I can see potential problems with it, but if people are comfortable with being friends with their boss, and having them as a fb friend, so be it. 

Worthy Christian Forums - Christian Message Boards - 1999-2014 part of the Worthy Network