christian forums

Worthy Christian Forums - Christian Forums

Welcome to Worthy Christian Forums
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

is there scripture about this?

* * * * * 1 votes

• Please log in to reply
23 replies to this topic

Pamelasv

Pamelasv
  • Members
  • 71 posts
I just heard on a radio sermon that we are on earth to prepare us for our eternal dwelling. Ive heard this mentioned before. Is their anything inscripture pointing to this?

OneLight

OneLight

Royal Member

• Servant
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 26,302 posts
  • Interests:God, Family, Friends and Climbing

I really enjoy discussing the Bible. There is so much to learn and so much to share.

I am led to reach my hand out, in love, to those in need.

I just heard on a radio sermon that we are on earth to prepare us for our eternal dwelling. Ive heard this mentioned before. Is their anything in scripture pointing to this?

All of scripture is pointing us back to God. The choice to follow Him has to be made while we are alive. Once saved, He creates in us a new man, in the likeness of Christ.

2 Corinthians 5:17

Therefore, if anyone is in Christ, he is a new creation; old things have passed away; behold, all things have become new.

He giveth more grace

He giveth more grace

Royal Member

• Royal Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,922 posts
  • Interests:History - particular, the rich history of my city.

Except a man be born again, he cannot see the kingdom of God.
Hi, Pamela. There are two type of people on the Earth, the unsaved (unregenerated Man, the natural 'Man' , as the Apostle Paul calls him) and the regenerated Man, the Christian. The unsaved Man doesn't have the capacity nor the propensity to prepare for Heaven, the Christian is always preparing.

justfaith

justfaith

• PipPip
  • 214 posts

Hi, Pamela. There are two type of people on the Earth, the unsaved (unregenerated Man, the natural 'Man' , as the Apostle Paul calls him) and the regenerated Man, the Christian. The unsaved Man doesn't have the capacity nor the propensity to prepare for Heaven, the Christian is always preparing.

Where in the bible says that we are going to heaven ? thanks 

Marilyn C

Marilyn C

Veteran Member

• Soapbox - Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 685 posts
  • Interests:Discipling, Eschatology, Eternal Purposes.

Hi Pamelasv & justfaith,

Yes there are quite a few scriptures concerning this wonderful topic of our eternal inheritance in heaven in Christ Jesus. Here are some -

`For we know that if the earthly tent which is our house is torn down, we have a building (body) from God, a house (body) not made with hands, eternal in the heavens.` (2 Cor. 5: 1 ff)

`to obtain an inheritance which is imperishable & undefiled & will not fade away, reserved in heaven for you.`  (1 Peter 1: 4)

`because of the hope laid up for you in heaven...` (Col. 1: 5)

`....& seated us in heavenly places in Christ Jesus.` (Eph. 2: 6)

`For our citizenship is in heaven.....`  (Phil. 3: 20)

`Therefore, holy brethren, partakers of a heavenly calling,...` (Heb. 3: 1)

Edited by Marilyn C, 21 August 2014 - 08:57 PM.

other one

other one

Royal Member

• Royal Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 24,081 posts
  • Interests:camping computers

I just heard on a radio sermon that we are on earth to prepare us for our eternal dwelling. Ive heard this mentioned before. Is their anything inscripture pointing to this?

Yes it is true.....

8 None of the rulers of this age understood it, for if they had, they would not have crucified the Lord of glory. 9 However, as it is written:

“What no eye has seen,
    what no ear has heard,
and what no human mind has conceived”[b]—
    the things God has prepared for those who love him—

we are here to qualify our love for Him/Them....

19Duggarfan

19Duggarfan

Veteran Member

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 930 posts
  • Interests:Bible, Christian History,
    Running, Football

For we know that if our earthly house of this tabernacle were dissolved, we have a building of God, a house not made with hands, eternal in the heavens.

II Corinthians 5:1

Paul is stating here that if our earthly body/tabernacle/temple is destroyed we will have a new body, at Jesus 2nd Coming, Philippians 3:20-21

Paul also stated that it is far better for us to depart (die physically) and be with Christ, now this is just our spirit being with Christ as our body(ies) will be in the grave, I Thessalonians 4:14-18

21)  For to me to live is Christ, and to die is gain.

22)  But if i live in the flesh, this is the fruit of my labour: yet what I shall choose I know not.

23)  For i amin a strait betwixt two, having a desire to depart, and to be with Christ; which is far better:

24)  Nevertheless to abide in the flesh is more needful for you.

Philippians 1:21-24

But I think your real answer might lie in reading Hebrews 11:13-16; 13:14 and perhaps John 14:1-3.  Plus Marilyn C, gave you some great scriptures.

Pamelasv

Pamelasv
  • Members
  • 71 posts

I think some of you may have missed my point.  I assume we are here to serve Christ for His reasons on earth, not to prepare ourselves for our eternal jobs in heaven.  But, maybe we are, who knows. I just have never seen or noticed anything in scripture saying we ourselves are getting prepared or trained for our future purposes in heaven.

Butero

Butero

Royal Member

• Royal Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,705 posts
  • Interests:Religion, Politics, Music, Sports

I agree with you Pamelasv.  It makes no logical sense that we are here to prepare ourselves for a job in heaven.  If that were the reason for us being here, what of those who die at a very young age, or even before birth?  How are they being prepared?  We are here because God has a purpose for us being here.  We have a role to play.  I used to buy into that preparing for heaven stuff, but when you think about it, that explanation makes no sense. 

Sevenseas

Sevenseas

Royal Member

• Royal Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,005 posts

Pam...if you heard that teaching, who taught it and what biblical references did they use?  Do you remember?  if not, that'sok...I've heard that too and I am thinking

maybe some obscure reference is being used but I'm trying to find something..........not sure on this one

well, the site 'gotquestions' has this to say if you want to read it:

I don't think I know of something specific in scripture that alludes to work or jobs...

The Bible does say that we were created for God's pleasure though

OneLight

OneLight

Royal Member

• Servant
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 26,302 posts
  • Interests:God, Family, Friends and Climbing

I really enjoy discussing the Bible. There is so much to learn and so much to share.

I am led to reach my hand out, in love, to those in need.

I think some of you may have missed my point.  I assume we are here to serve Christ for His reasons on earth, not to prepare ourselves for our eternal jobs in heaven.  But, maybe we are, who knows. I just have never seen or noticed anything in scripture saying we ourselves are getting prepared or trained for our future purposes in heaven.

Our focus would be to be more like Christ as He works in and through us. When we are finally with Him, we become like Him in every way. What we do now will be brought with us when we are brought into the next life. Is that our goal? Probably not consciously, but subconsciously it very well may be. Here, we strive to do His will. When we are with Him, we will be doing His will. I think of this life as school.

Willamina

Willamina

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,064 posts
  • Interests:Birdwatching, Bible study
I always understood this to mean to prepare our hearts for all the glory and joy of living in God's presence. When hubby was saved the change in him was overwhelming. I knew how to cope with an unglody hostile husband, but to suddenly have a warm loving husband was really hard to get used to. He was always underfoot. I actually asked God for the grace to appreciate my new hubby. Perhaps we also need to adjust our mindset to become more heavenly minded. On earth we learn to seek first the kingdom of God and His righteousnes, and to set our treasures in heaven and minds on things above. That way when we get there will be comfortable with such a place of purity, worship and glorious praise.

Cletus

Cletus

Veteran Member

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 626 posts
I have often wondered what we will do in eternity. As far as daily tasks. In revelation 3:12 Jesus says some will be made a pillar in the temple. Else where it says we are living stones. Everybody loves a good mystery, right?
It may be we cant percieve "our jobs" in the state we are in now. And my other thought is it may not be much different as it is now, and if thats the case I would hope there is a position open for a gardener. Can you imagine perfect soil that does not need that much effort to break up, if any at all, and no weeds. Its like that song by mercy me.... I can only imagine.

Butero

Butero

Royal Member

• Royal Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,705 posts
  • Interests:Religion, Politics, Music, Sports

I think our capacity to learn is so limited down here compared to what we will be able to know in heaven, lessons learned now won't mean much.  Our works for God may effect our positions in God's Kingdom, but when it comes to learning things, I would imagine that once the full truth is made known to us about the ways of God, we will feel foolish in thinking back on what we thought was truth. 

faith pleases God

faith pleases God

Veteran Member

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 675 posts
  • Interests:Faith, Israel, prophecy, eschatology, Christ, economics, watching, praying, Bible

Matthew 6:19-21

says,"19 `Treasure not up to yourselves treasures on the earth, where moth and rust disfigure, and where thieves break through and steal,

20 but treasure up to yourselves treasures in heaven, where neither moth nor rust doth disfigure, and where thieves do not break through nor steal,

21 for where your treasure is, there will be also your heart."

He giveth more grace

He giveth more grace

Royal Member

• Royal Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,922 posts
  • Interests:History - particular, the rich history of my city.

Except a man be born again, he cannot see the kingdom of God.

I think it be better said, Our time in life has been given us for the purpose of (if we are yielded and seeking) being transformed into the image of Christ. We are changed from glory to glory and our path grows brighter so much as we see the day approaching.

coheir

coheir

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,298 posts
  • Interests:Hunt, Fish, shoot pool, snooker read kjv read Worthy

B- basic

I-  instructions

B- before

L- living

E- eternally

terraricca

terraricca
  • Members *
  • 95 posts
  • Interests:scriptures /scriptures/scriptures/

hi all

I have always found that the scriptures offer to all that hear the gospel and apply it to their lives will be saved (saved meaning will receive their life back for a everlasting one ) even scriptures says that their are two calls but same results ;receiving life ,

some on earth and some in heaven , this is decided by God and his son , not by any other ,

Massorite

Massorite

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,386 posts

No! We are here on earth the worship and to glorify God and to do for Him as He instructs us. Anyone who has excepted Christ as their Lord and Savior has already done all that they can do to prepare for heaven. The rest is on Gods shoulders.

gdemoss

gdemoss

Royal Member

• Royal Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,071 posts
  • Interests:Pursuing the fulfillment of the promise that I have been given power to become one of the sons of God.
If it were all about heaven then why did Satan think he could win by killing Jesus?

It is the Kingdom of Heaven upon the earth. The earth was created to be inhabited and inhabited it will be. Eternity simply that which does not change.

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Worthy Christian Forums - Christian Message Boards - 1999-2014 part of the Worthy Network