christian forums

Worthy Christian Forums - Christian Forums

Welcome to Worthy Christian Forums
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Discussion question

* * * * * 1 votes

• Please log in to reply
23 replies to this topic

saved_ricky

saved_ricky
  • Members
  • 7 posts

Does God overlook/ turn a blind eye to sin in the life of the believer?

the_patriot2014

the_patriot2014

Royal Member

• Platinum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,704 posts
  • Interests:Church, spending time with the family, Hunting, Fishing, shooting, camping, anything outdoors really, occasionally dabling in the finer arts of computers.
Look up James 2:18. Food for thought.

saved_ricky

saved_ricky
  • Members
  • 7 posts

Great point. I have a view, i posted this in response to a movment in Christianity today that some call "hypergrace" that God turn's a blind eye on the sin of a Christian.

Edited by saved_ricky, 22 August 2014 - 09:08 PM.

Hobbes

Hobbes

• PipPip
  • 133 posts
  • Interests:Trusting Jesus Christ as my Good Shepherd in being my Friend in helping me in living as His friend while I rest in Him as my Saviour that I am saved.

1 John 1:3 That which we have seen and heard declare we unto you, that ye also may have fellowship with us: and truly our fellowship is with the Father, and with his Son Jesus Christ. 4 And these things write we unto you, that your joy may be full. 5 This then is the message which we have heard of him, and declare unto you, that God is light, and in him is no darkness at all. 6 If we say that we have fellowship with him, and walk in darkness, we lie, and do not the truth: 7 But if we walk in the light, as he is in the light, we have fellowship one with another, and the blood of Jesus Christ his Son cleanseth us from all sin. 8 If we say that we have no sin, we deceive ourselves, and the truth is not in us. 9 If we confess our sins, he is faithful and just to forgive us our sins, and to cleanse us from all unrighteousness. 10 If we say that we have not sinned, we make him a liar, and his word is not in us.

It does matter how we walk since Jesus is with us always.  We are to lean on the Son of God to help us to follow Him by faith to continue to abide in Him as His disciples;  otherwise, we run the risk of being left behind at the pre trib rapture when God comes to judge His House first.  Unrepentant saints will not lose their salvation, but they will lose crowns and their seat at the Marriage Supper and then there will be weeping & gnashing of teeth at the coming fire on the earth and the coming great tribulation as a result.

1 Corinthians 9:24 Know ye not that they which run in a race run all, but one receiveth the prize? So run, that ye may obtain. 25 And every man that striveth for the mastery is temperate in all things. Now they do it to obtain a corruptible crown; but we an incorruptible. 26 I therefore so run, not as uncertainly; so fight I, not as one that beateth the air: 27 But I keep under my body, and bring it into subjection: lest that by any means, when I have preached to others, I myself should be a castaway.

Hebrews 12th chapter can show necessity for running that race by faith in the author & finisher of our faith to help us lay aside every weight & sin to avoid the chastening from the Father in being left behind.

https://www.biblegateway.com/passage/?search=Hebrews+12&version=KJV

Edited by Hobbes, 22 August 2014 - 08:02 PM.

Cletus

Cletus

Veteran Member

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 712 posts
1 peter 4:17 is one thought I have on that.

perhaps in a new believer before God deals with them on a sin. But there comes a time when God makes you grow up and will no longer hold a believers hand, at least in the sence of being a babe in Christ. We are supposed to grow and become mature spiritualy, this includes knowing what not to do. If one reaches this point and continues in sin, This will criple thier walk.

if God will overlook sin, Jesus died in vain.

OneLight

OneLight

Royal Member

• Servant
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 26,619 posts
  • Interests:God, Family, Friends and Climbing

I really enjoy discussing the Bible. There is so much to learn and so much to share.

I am led to reach my hand out, in love, to those in need.

The Holy Spirit still convicts us of sin, so my answer is no, He does not turn a blinds eye to sin of a believer.  I would say He has more patience than we can understand.

Wildstar

Wildstar

• PipPip
  • 158 posts

1) Does god overlook / turn a blind eye to sin in the life of a believer?  Yes and No.

Yes: He has blotted out all sin through his grace.  Belief in him is evidenced by the holy spirit residing in that heart.  These people are completely clean as the holy spirit cannot reside in a filthy vessel.

No:  We are commanded to love.  If we dont love we will be punished and even James stated faith without works is dead.  Works meaning love.  

Persuaded

Persuaded

• PipPip
  • 209 posts

If you're getting away with sin, then you have a bigger problem:

Hebrews 12:5-8
5 And ye have forgotten the exhortation which speaketh unto you as unto children, My son, despise not thou the chastening of the Lord, nor faint when thou art rebuked of him:
6 For whom the Lord loveth he chasteneth, and scourgeth every son whom he receiveth.
7 If ye endure chastening, God dealeth with you as with sons; for what son is he whom the father chasteneth not?
8 But if ye be without chastisement, whereof all are partakers, then are ye bastards, and not sons.

19Duggarfan

19Duggarfan

Veteran Member

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 930 posts
  • Interests:Bible, Christian History,
    Running, Football

I will apply a answer of overall NO!

But I think that God will on occasion, cover sins of His people.  Especially when we allow the Holy Spirit to do His job of helping us to love others:

Hatred stirreth up strife; but love covereth all sins.

Proverbs 10:12

And above all things have fervent charity among yourselves: for charity will cover a multitude of sins.

I Peter 4:8

For by doing this we will walk in our liberty in Christ, and will not devour one another, Galatians 5:13-16.

And also when we correct those who have erred from the truth, God will hide a multitude of sins:

19)  Brethren, if any one of you should err from the truth, and one should convert him;

20)  Let him know, that he who converteh a sinner from the error of his way will save a soul from death, and will hide a multitude of sins.

James 5:19-20

Tristen

Tristen

• PipPip
  • 154 posts

I will apply a answer of overall NO!

But I think that God will on occasion, cover sins of His people.  Especially when we allow the Holy Spirit to do His job of helping us to love others:

Hatred stirreth up strife; but love covereth all sins.

Proverbs 10:12

And above all things have fervent charity among yourselves: for charity will cover a multitude of sins.

I Peter 4:8

For by doing this we will walk in our liberty in Christ, and will not devour one another, Galatians 5:13-16.

And also when we correct those who have erred from the truth, God will hide a multitude of sins:

19)  Brethren, if any one of you should err from the truth, and one should convert him;

20)  Let him know, that he who converteh a sinner from the error of his way will save a soul from death, and will hide a multitude of sins.

James 5:19-20

It’s a good question. I think the answer can be “yes” or “no” – depending upon the perspective.

The primary issue IMO is the sincerity of the faith confession (which only God and the individual can determine). If an individual sincerely surrenders ownership of their life to Christ, then they are immediately purified by the blood of Christ; their sins are dealt with forever – the blood of Christ is sufficient to account for all sin. God has accepted the cost of Christ’s sacrifice (the perfectly sinless Son of God) as sufficient to redeem us from the just eternal consequences of our sin – for those who accept God’s offer of salvation through Christ.

Yet as we are all aware, that doesn’t make us perfect with regards to our behaviour. So there is a paradox that Christ has “perfected forever those who are being sanctified” (Hebrews 10:14).

We should consider that the reason we are provided with a Saviour is that God is aware that we are incapable of being righteous by our own efforts. So He is not surprised by our weaknesses. Christ has made us legally clean in the eyes of God's perfect justice (the only perspective that matters); regardless of our personal failures. Therefore we can “come boldly to the throne of grace, that we may obtain mercy and find grace to help in time of need” (Hebrews 4:16) – not because we are clean in ourselves, but because we are clean in Christ [Note that we are encouraged to come to God’s throne when we need grace and mercy – not just when we are feeling righteous].

If one is sincere in their faith confession, they are provided with the indwelling of the Holy Spirit. The indwelling of the Spirit will influence our life towards righteous behaviour and away from sin (Galatians 5:19-23). Therefore a life that is epitomised by a continued justification of sin indicates possible insincerity in the original faith confession. That is, it is legitimate to question whether or not that life has really been surrendered to Christ – if one is making no effort to do His will (2 Corinthians 6:14-7:1, 1 Thessalonians 4:3-8). Remembering that the point of our accepting the gospel was the recognition that sin is bad (including bad for us), and that we need to be saved from sin and its consequences. So a continued pursuit of sin indicates that this has not been understood.

Galatians 6:7-8

Do not be deceived, God is not mocked; for whatever a man sows, that he will also reap. For he who sows to his flesh will of the flesh reap corruption, but he who sows to the Spirit will of the Spirit reap everlasting life

So even though we all stumble at times; this general pattern of change towards righteousness will be evident in a sincere believer (Galatians 5:22-23). And a pattern of justifying unrighteousness is evidence of insincerity (Galatians 5:19-21, 2 Peter 1:5-9, 1John 3:8, Jude 1:4).

Ephesians 4:17-24

17 This I say, therefore, and testify in the Lord, that you should no longer walk as the rest of the Gentiles walk, in the futility of their mind, 18 having their understanding darkened, being alienated from the life of God, because of the ignorance that is in them, because of the blindness of their heart; 19 who, being past feeling, have given themselves over to lewdness, to work all uncleanness with greediness.

20 But you have not so learned Christ, 21 if indeed you have heard Him and have been taught by Him, as the truth is in Jesus: 22 that you put off, concerning your former conduct, the old man which grows corrupt according to the deceitful lusts, 23 and be renewed in the spirit of your mind, 24 and that you put on the new man which was created according to God, in true righteousness and holiness.

If one’s faith confession is insincere, that individual has not accessed the grace of Christ and remains accountable for their own sins.

So you asked; “Does God overlook/ turn a blind eye to sin in the life of the believer?”

The real answer is no – God has paid a massive price to secure a path of salvation and redemption for all sinners. Nothing has been overlooked. God’s perfect justice has held every sin to account. Only in the case of a sincere believer – Jesus has voluntarily suffered the consequences of our sin in our stead.

Willamina

Willamina

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,202 posts
  • Interests:Birdwatching, Bible study
I don't think any of us is perfect in God's eyes. We all hold the treasure of the life of Christ in earthen vessels. His life in us is what makes us worthy of heaven and nothing else. Only Jesus Christ is perfect, and His perfction has been imputed on us. His blood continually cleanses us from unknown sin as we walk in fellowship with God and with other believers. This is just one reason why it is so important that we have the fellowship of a group of believers. We rub against each other and remove the sharp edges till we fit together in a building of living stones. Finally we are polished and transparent so that the life of Christ can be clearly seen in us. But I don't believe that perfection is obtained while on this earth.

God isn't blind to our sin but the blood of Jesus covers it. We are the ones who are usually blind to our sin. A spouse can find a few imperfections since we see them daily. But our love for that person makes up for it all. We ignore them. God continues to gently remove them.

JTC

JTC

Veteran Member

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 827 posts
  • Interests:God, The Bible, Philosophy, Photography, and helping others when I can.

I brought this topic up when I first joined WCF. I said God cares very much what we do, how we live, and whether we sin or not. Everyone jumped down my throat. So much so, that I've been looking into Catholicism simply because they know our sins will matter to God. But they have a lot of other issues I can't resolve.

So I'm happy to see most of you now see our sins matter. God will turn a blind eye to a baby Christian, just like we don't expect small children to behave like a teenager, or even a young adult.

But God expects us to eliminate sins as we grow in Him. I'm not sure how God will deal with a person who was a Christian 30 or more years, who now died, and lived in sin until his dying day. I mean if you were committing adultery, fornication, or you were a criminal, killing, stealing, or you never cleaned up your speech, so you still use God's name in vain constantly, etc. This is living in sin. Such a person will receive different treatment than the Christian who stopped all that, but still has occasional small sins. I don't know what God will do, I just know He will treat these 2 kinds of folks differently, and there are more than enough Bible verses to support this. I was happy to see most of you are realizing what I said. Maybe I can come back here.

I want to say 1 more thing. In the book of James, Works means way more then just love. That's step 1. Works means doing what God wants. If you have 2 coats and someone else has none, give her one. If you own a car and your sister does not, and she needs a ride, give her a ride. Don't ask for money neither, because if you do, you have been paid. Don't expect God to reward you. To love others means to help them when and if you can.

Sevenseas

Sevenseas

Royal Member

• Royal Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,098 posts

I brought this topic up when I first joined WCF. I said God cares very much what we do, how we live, and whether we sin or not. Everyone jumped down my throat. So much so, that I've been looking into Catholicism simply because they know our sins will matter to God. But they have a lot of other issues I can't resolve.

Are you sure that was not on another board?  I have been here a little while now and I have never ever read such as you describe.  I don't know any longstanding member

here that believes what you wrote.

God does not turn a blind eye to baby Christians either.  Mature Christians are supposed to help those who are young in the Lord.

I am somewhat confused as to some of the conclusions you seem to come to regarding other members here.  

I've been looking into Catholicism simply because they know our sins will matter to God. But they have a lot of other issues I can't resolve.

Jesus Christ is the Way, the Truth and the Life.  No one comes to the Father except by Him...no religion, no doctrine no teacher no nothing.

Just Jesus

CurtisCWilson

CurtisCWilson

• PipPip
  • 121 posts

When a person becomes "born again" he receives a new heart (spirit). That new Spirit is Christ, the exact same Spirit that was in Jesus has now become their new life.

Gal 2:20  I have been crucified with Christ. It is no longer I who live, but Christ who lives in me. And the life I now live in the flesh I live by faith in the Son of God, who loved me and gave himself for me. 

When a Christian sins it is not they themselves who are sinning, but the sin that is in their flesh.

Rom 7:15  For I do not understand my own actions. For I do not do what I want, but I do the very thing I hate. 
Rom 7:16  Now if I do what I do not want, I agree with the law, that it is good. 
Rom 7:17  So now it is no longer I who do it, but sin that dwells within me. 

Our new heart which is Christ, and Christ can never sin, never fail, or ever die.

1Jn 3:9  Whosoever is born of God doth not commit sin; for his seed remaineth in him: and he cannot sin, because he is born of God.

Christians sin when they let their flesh take control and not let Christ which is their life have his way.

Fez

Fez

Royal Member

• Servant
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,628 posts
  • Interests:Many and varied. Any technology with blinking and flashing lights, no matter what it does...

God knows the number of hairs on your head, the number of grains of sand on earth. He see's every sparrow that falls.

He overlooks nothing, has no "blind eye".

So the answer is no. (as much as we sometimes wish it was yes)

terraricca

terraricca
  • Members *
  • 95 posts
  • Interests:scriptures /scriptures/scriptures/

Great point. I have a view, i posted this in response to a movment in Christianity today that some call "hypergrace" that God turn's a blind eye on the sin of a Christian.

hi

i am and all of us , far from Moses leadership and faith and yet he was punished for the only error he made under very stressed condition , so be careful of what you are saying or thinking ,

JTC

JTC

Veteran Member

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 827 posts
  • Interests:God, The Bible, Philosophy, Photography, and helping others when I can.

Hi saved_ricky,

I never heard of hypergrace, but I don't get out much these days. It doesn't really shock me because many so-called Christians have been living in sins so many years that now someone created a doctrine to make it seem ok. Of course it's not ok.

I accept a lot of the blame for what has happened on my generation. I'm not saying America was a very Holy country in the 1950's & 60's. But things were different and now we know they were better. Most stores were closed on Sunday, and in some small towns they were probably all closed. Some people lived together without marriage, but they were frowned upon. And when abortion was illegal and before the pill was perfected, fornication wasn't as popular as young people have been told it was. Marriage meant something back then. 

And before that awful movie came out, "The Exorcist", there weren't many movies about the devil or hell. Nowadays the movies portray hell as a good place and the devil is a nice guy.

I often think we're close to the end of the age of mankind. But we probably aren't.

So I ask God to give the young people the strength to turn society around.

coheir

coheir

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,413 posts
  • Interests:Hunt, Fish, shoot pool, snooker read kjv read Worthy

Rom7:17

Now then it is no more I that do it, but sin that dwelleth in me.

Heb 10:26-27

26 For if we sin wilfully after that we have received the knowledge of the truth, there remaineth no more sacrifice for sins,
27 But a certain fearful looking for of judgment and fiery indignation, which shall devour the adversaries.

It seems these two verses are speaking of the same thing.

gdemoss

gdemoss

Royal Member

• Royal Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,095 posts
  • Interests:Pursuing the fulfillment of the promise that I have been given power to become one of the sons of God.
Perspective. It means alot.

I spent time with a bunch of self proclaimed Christians who met twice a week in a building to do what they believed wqs worshipping God. I watched as these died of cancer and were regularly sick with diverse diseases. The Wednesday prayer meeting was wroght with prayer for their sick and dying.

I left to venture out to sit with the whores, sexual deviants, drug addicts, theives, liars, cheats and cons. There too I found death and disease.

Does God turn a blind eye to sin?

Did God turn a blind eye to Ananias and Saphira's sin? Some mens sins go before and some follow after.

This is a tough topic and very full of meat with pitfalls.

The answer as I understand it today is that God always does the greatest good. If that means allowing sin to go unpunished for a time then so be it. If it means quick judgement for sin then so be it.

Even Satan seemingly gets away with his sin for a time.

Did Paul get away with being a blasphemer and persecuter of the church? I dare say no. I have seen the record of his sufferings for the gospel.

Everyday I pay a price. God scourges every son he receives but it is worth it.

I am going back to rub elbows with the drunks and whores...there is a gospel to preach and teach.

LadyKay

LadyKay

Veteran Member

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 661 posts

I dont think so.

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Worthy Christian Forums - Christian Message Boards - 1999-2014 part of the Worthy Network