christian forums

Worthy Christian Forums - Christian Forums

Welcome to Worthy Christian Forums
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Secular dvd's and the Lord

* * * * * 1 votes

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

dscapp

dscapp

Members*

• Members *
  • PipPipPip
  • 265 posts

Recently I had made a thread about tossing out my secular music.

So I did something even more radical last night.

I threw away all secular dvd's too, about 4 or 5 years worth.

In all honesty, I had too much bad coming in and not enough good going out.

I do feel lighter. http://www.worthychr...c-and-the-lord/

He giveth more grace

He giveth more grace

Royal Member

• Royal Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,923 posts
  • Interests:History - particular, the rich history of my city.

Except a man be born again, he cannot see the kingdom of God.
I know that was hard to do, I'm sure God is pleased, God bless you for your resolve to do this.

Why does your user name put me in mind of comic books or cartoon character.

dscapp

dscapp

Members*

• Members *
  • PipPipPip
  • 265 posts

I know that was hard to do, I'm sure God is pleased, God bless you for your resolve to do this.

In the beginning it was pretty difficult, I was just starring at my booklets wondering why I pursued this.

But I've learned that it's important what we listen too and hear, not to quench the spirit no longer.

What we take in effects our mind and heart, it took me 8 years to figure this out.

Fez

Fez

Royal Member

• Servant
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,628 posts
  • Interests:Many and varied. Any technology with blinking and flashing lights, no matter what it does...

I guess its the sort of secular music you listen to that can have an effect. I love Strauss, Celtic Women, 1000 Maniacs (not as bad as they sound!), and Dylan, to name a few. And I don't think listening to Strauss, or Vivaldi detracts from my walk.

Some of the books I read could I guess, especially when I am so engrossed I don't find time to read my bible.

other one

other one

Royal Member

• Royal Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 24,511 posts
  • Interests:camping computers

how many times do you have to read the Bible before you do other reading?

A half dozen.....    two dozen....   fifty....

Sevenseas

Sevenseas

Royal Member

• Royal Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,098 posts

I don't think there are numeric qualifications with regards to reading or listening or watching something that is not biblically based.

If there were, wouldn't we be 'earning' points or something?  

I prefer instrumental music ... lots on youtube which I listen to when working...I have a good number of Christian CD's and 'secular' instrumental ones... I happen to really like

Spanish guitar, latin and Mediterranean music and what have you...I'm pretty varied...I don't listen to rock anymore...I find it makes me nervous and the words are not

beneficial...but I don't think God judges anyone by my own preferences

I find that instrumental music keeps me in mind of God anyway....

canadianchristianmom

canadianchristianmom
  • Members
  • 8 posts
  • Interests:I like the outdoors- Gods creation is awesome including the people He has made. I love my little girl whom God gave me. i am 40 yrs old

That was really tough to do dscapp!  Good for you for standing up for your walk with the Lord and ridding your environment of things that distract you from being close to God.  Never easy to get rid of stuff or things you like, but Phil 4:13 - I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me - you have put that into your life and made it a reality for you!  I hope to encourage you to continue to seek things which bring you closer to your Maker, to God who sent His Son to pay for your sins and my sins and all of our sins, so we dont have to pay that price ourselves.  We are brothers and sisters in Jesus, because of Jesus shed blood on the cross.  Thank you for sharing.  God bless you!

dscapp

dscapp

Members*

• Members *
  • PipPipPip
  • 265 posts

That was really tough to do dscapp!  Good for you for standing up for your walk with the Lord and ridding your environment of things that distract you from being close to God.  Never easy to get rid of stuff or things you like, but Phil 4:13 - I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me - you have put that into your life and made it a reality for you!  I hope to encourage you to continue to seek things which bring you closer to your Maker, to God who sent His Son to pay for your sins and my sins and all of our sins, so we dont have to pay that price ourselves.  We are brothers and sisters in Jesus, because of Jesus shed blood on the cross.  Thank you for sharing.  God bless you!

Thank you ccm. Blessings sister.

alien224

alien224

Veteran Member

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 959 posts
  • Interests:praising the Lord. Writing, computers
Great job cap wish my children would do the same.

Rustyangel

Rustyangel

Royal Member

• Worthy Chat Servant
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,454 posts
  • Interests:Dog training, fellowshipping with my family at Worthy. Worshiping the Lord in song. Sharing Jesus with those who do not know Him.

As I have stated before I got rid of all of my R rated movies.  As for music I still love some secular music.  I love the rock and roll of the 50's and 60's.  I also like some and other classical music.and some Opera.  But my favorite is still praise and worship, I will listen to that all day. So much of this heavy metal ( non Christian) I don't believe should be in the life of a believer.

LadyKay

LadyKay

Veteran Member

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 661 posts

Each of us should do what we believe the Lord is directing us to do. This is a very personal thing between us and God. While God may direct one person to do something, he may direct another person to do something else. The point being is that we are not to judge(and I am not saying anyone  here is  doing so) a person's Christian walk based on rather or not they toss out their dvd's or music collection. The same goes for someone who feels they are being lead to get rid of their dvd's or music collection. We should  not talk them out of doing it just because God has not told us to do it. God directs each of his children in his own way.

LadyKay

LadyKay

Veteran Member

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 661 posts

So much of this heavy metal ( non Christian) I don't believe should be in the life of a believer.

So I guess I should not share that I listen to Metallica and Ozzy? Opps I just did.

He giveth more grace

He giveth more grace

Royal Member

• Royal Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,923 posts
  • Interests:History - particular, the rich history of my city.

Except a man be born again, he cannot see the kingdom of God.
[quote name="LadyKay" post="2142192" timestamp="1409075925"][quote]
So I guess I should not share that I listen to Metallica and Ozzy? Opps I just did.[/quote]Yea, I wouldn't share that with him. lol

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Worthy Christian Forums - Christian Message Boards - 1999-2014 part of the Worthy Network