christian forums

Worthy Christian Forums - Christian Forums

Welcome to Worthy Christian Forums
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Husband of one wife....

* * * * * 1 votes

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
22 replies to this topic

firestormx

firestormx

Veteran Member

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 900 posts

I've happen to come across the verse or someone discussing the verse below from 1 Timothy 3:2, That this applies to all pastors.

1 Timothy 3:2

A bishop then must be blameless, the husband of one wife, vigilant, sober, of good behavior, given to hospitality, apt to teach;

It's got me wondering, does this apply to all callings? I mean all, Apostle, Prophet, Evangelist, Teacher and of course Pastor. If  not, why just Bishops and pastors? I'm not really sure what to think about this, because My now ex-wife left me years ago and divorced me against my will. So my judgement in this may be biased. 

I welcome all comments and discussions on this subject.

God Bless 

Firestormx

Joseph

Rustyangel

Rustyangel

Royal Member

• Worthy Chat Servant
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,500 posts

Well in the first place I don't believe Prophets or Apostles are even operating today.  Pastors Bishops, Deacon's, positions like that need to be the husband of only one wife.  It is what the scripture says and there is a reason for it.  If they are to have such a position in the church they need to be orderly and if they can't keep order in their own homes how are they going to  keep order in the church.  As for others things God desires that as believers we be married only once, "tell death do us part"  After that if someone wishes to remarry that is fine.  But as I said God has these rules for a reason.  And I honor Him in that,

firestormx

firestormx

Veteran Member

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 900 posts

Well in the first place I don't believe Prophets or Apostles are even operating today.  Pastors Bishops, Deacon's, positions like that need to be the husband of only one wife.  It is what the scripture says and there is a reason for it.  If they are to have such a position in the church they need to be orderly and if they can't keep order in their own homes how are they going to  keep order in the church.  As for others things God desires that as believers we be married only once, "tell death do us part"  After that if someone wishes to remarry that is fine.  But as I said God has these rules for a reason.  And I honor Him in that,

Thanks for the comment. I completely disagree with your comment. If he meant it for Pastors as well why didn't he just say it bluntly? But that's exactly why I'm asking. I am honestly not sure if the reason I don't like this response is because it applies to me and means to me, ( IMO ) I can never serve God. 

shiloh357

shiloh357

Royal Member

• Royal Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 32,886 posts

I have to agree with Rusty's comments.   The office of prophet and apostle as they were known in scripture are no longer in operation in the church today.   Pastors (Bishops and pastors are the same thing) and Deacons are to be husbands of one wife.

God's plan for marriage is simple.  One man marries one woman and they stay married until they die.   That is the ideal for the Pastor and the Deacon. 

a-seeker

a-seeker

Veteran Member

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 706 posts

I've happen to come across the verse or someone discussing the verse below from 1 Timothy 3:2, That this applies to all pastors.

A bishop then must be blameless, the husband of one wife, vigilant, sober, of good behavior, given to hospitality, apt to teach;

It's got me wondering, does this apply to all callings? I mean all, Apostle, Prophet, Evangelist, Teacher and of course Pastor. If  not, why just Bishops and pastors? I'm not really sure what to think about this, because My now ex-wife left me years ago and divorced me against my will. So my judgement in this may be biased. 

God Bless 

Firestormx

Joseph

I am not sure what the question is; the text doesn't seem to speak to your status as a divorcee.

I doubt the text means an overseer has to be a husband--after all Paul encouraged singleness and was single himself; rather, if he is a husband, he must be so of only one wife.  This doesn't mean that polygamy was a neutral issue for laypersons; it just means that it is absolutely essential for leaders of the church.  There may have been persons with multiple spouses before they converted.  They were ineligible for these kinds of leadership.  Only singles and those married to only one wife could be leaders in the official sense.

As far as apostles and prophets the response above is correct: Apostles were first and foremost those who witnessed the Resurrected Christ.  There are Christians with the gift of prophecy  but this is quite distinct from the Prophet.  That era is done.  There are no more Prophets; God has spoken His last major word through Jesus.

clb

Edited by ConnorLiamBrown, 24 August 2014 - 09:43 PM.

firestormx

firestormx

Veteran Member

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 900 posts

I have to agree with Rusty's comments.   The office of prophet and apostle as they were known in scripture are no longer in operation in the church today.   Pastors (Bishops and pastors are the same thing) and Deacons are to be husbands of one wife.

God's plan for marriage is simple.  One man marries one woman and they stay married until they die.   That is the ideal for the Pastor and the Deacon. 

Thanks for the Comment 

shiloh357

shiloh357

Royal Member

• Royal Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 32,886 posts

Ii would also point out that the situation that Paul seems to be addressing is the problems that surround polygamy which created some very contentious families. 

firestormx

firestormx

Veteran Member

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 900 posts

God Bless 

Firestormx

Joseph

I am not sure what the question is; the text doesn't seem to speak to your status as a divorcee.

I doubt the text means an overseer has to be a husband--after all Paul encouraged singleness and was single himself; rather, if he is a husband, he must be so of only one wife.  This doesn't mean that polygamy was a neutral issue for laypersons; it just means that it is absolutely essential for leaders of the church.  There may have been persons with multiple spouses before they converted.  They were ineligible for these kinds of leadership.  Only singles and those married to only one wife could be leaders in the official sense.

As far as apostles and prophets the response above is correct: Apostles were first and foremost those who witnessed the Resurrected Christ.  There are Christians with the gift of prophecy  but this is quite distinct from the Prophet.  That era is done.  There are no more Prophets; God has spoken His last major word through Jesus.

clb

Interesting Point of View. Most people think that if you have been divorced and then remarried for any reason at all, even the death of your spouse. Then you have had 2 spouses and are disqualified from all ministry positions because of this verse.

LadyC

LadyC

Royal Member

• Royal Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,775 posts

i believe the passage is talking about polygamy also. polygamy was a common practice at the time, and God was specific that some 'offices' should not be held by those who had multiple wives.

shiloh357

shiloh357

Royal Member

• Royal Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 32,886 posts

God Bless 

Firestormx

Joseph

clb

Interesting Point of View. Most people think that if you have been divorced and then remarried for any reason at all, even the death of your spouse. Then you have had 2 spouses and are disqualified from all ministry positions because of this verse.

No, it doesn't apply to the death of one's spouse.    As for divorce it depends on the reason and circumstances.

firestormx

firestormx

Veteran Member

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 900 posts

i believe the passage is talking about polygamy also. polygamy was a common practice at the time, and God was specific that some 'offices' should not be held by those who had multiple wives.

Thanks for the comment. I've never seen this verse from the perspective of polygamy.

firestormx

firestormx

Veteran Member

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 900 posts

No, it doesn't apply to the death of one's spouse.    As for divorce it depends on the reason and circumstances.

I agree with you, but I was stating the most common position I've heard, accurate or not. By the way, Do you know the meaning of this verse in Hebrew/Greek? Would you explain why some say overseer, How some get pastor from this verse as well as bishop, while others say just Bishops? Either way thanks.

P.S. the difference in my understanding between bishop and pastor is bishop oversees many churches, whereas Pastor leads just one.

shiloh357

shiloh357

Royal Member

• Royal Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 32,886 posts

I agree with you, but I was stating the most common position I've heard, accurate or not. By the way, Do you know the meaning of this verse in Hebrew/Greek? Would you explain why some say overseer, How some get pastor from this verse as well as bishop, while others say just Bishops? Either way thanks.

P.S. the difference in my understanding between bishop and pastor is bishop oversees many churches, whereas Pastor leads just one.

Bishop and overseer are used interchangeably along with the concept of "shepherd" which is another term for pastor (Acts 10:17-30 

firestormx

firestormx

Veteran Member

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 900 posts

Bishop and overseer are used interchangeably along with the concept of "shepherd" which is another term for pastor (Acts 10:17-30 

Thanks for the comment and the verses

Butero

Butero

Royal Member

• Royal Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,849 posts

Bishops, Deacons and elders were created positions for the purpose of taking the carnal needs off of those ministering the Word.  On the other hand, the Apostle, Prophet, Pastor and Teacher are all direct callings of God, and the gifts and callings are without repentance.  I don't believe God directly calls people into the office of Bishop, Deacon or Elder.  People seek those positions because they want to help out.  They are required to meet certain standards in order to hold those positions.  Over the years, with the creation of the full time Pastor, many churches have placed job descriptions on them, that include the duties of a Bishop, and they have eliminated that office, or they place the duties of Bishop on Deacons, or the Pastor is acting as the Pastor and Deacon.  If Pastors were just doing the ministry they were called to, ministering the Word and praying for the congregation, and acting as a spiritual shepherd, they are not held to the requirements given to Bishops, Deacons and Elders.  That doesn't mean their character isn't of the utmost importance, but we make a mistake when we claim that a man that is a called Pastor is disqualified because he can't qualify as a Bishop or Deacon.  We need to restore the offices to what they were intended to be. 

LanceA

LanceA
  • Members
  • 19 posts

I read it as pologymy as well.  If you have someone that was married and not saved, or didn't know about Christ at all, that person gets a divorce and lets say 10 years later he is a Christian then all of his previous sins are washed away by the blood of Christ.  Now lets say he gets married as a Christian and he feels God calling him to be a pastor, would his previous marriage keep him from being a pastor? He could very well be keeping his current life in order because he has Christ now. 

Edited by LanceA, 27 August 2014 - 10:54 AM.

firestormx

firestormx

Veteran Member

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 900 posts

I read it as pologymy as well.  If you have someone that was married and not saved, or didn't know about Christ at all, that person gets a divorce and lets say 10 years later he is a Christian then all of his previous sins are washed away by the blood of Christ.  Now lets say he gets married as a Christian and he feels God calling him to be a pastor, would his previous marriage keep him from being a pastor? He could very well be keeping his current life in order because he has Christ now. 

Thanks for the comment

firestormx

firestormx

Veteran Member

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 900 posts

Bishops, Deacons and elders were created positions for the purpose of taking the carnal needs off of those ministering the Word.  On the other hand, the Apostle, Prophet, Pastor and Teacher are all direct callings of God, and the gifts and callings are without repentance.  I don't believe God directly calls people into the office of Bishop, Deacon or Elder.  People seek those positions because they want to help out.  They are required to meet certain standards in order to hold those positions.  Over the years, with the creation of the full time Pastor, many churches have placed job descriptions on them, that include the duties of a Bishop, and they have eliminated that office, or they place the duties of Bishop on Deacons, or the Pastor is acting as the Pastor and Deacon.  If Pastors were just doing the ministry they were called to, ministering the Word and praying for the congregation, and acting as a spiritual shepherd, they are not held to the requirements given to Bishops, Deacons and Elders.  That doesn't mean their character isn't of the utmost importance, but we make a mistake when we claim that a man that is a called Pastor is disqualified because he can't qualify as a Bishop or Deacon.  We need to restore the offices to what they were intended to be. 

Thanks for the comment. I like the way you worded this. I've always thought of them as different offices as well. Would you mind listing what the different responsibilities of an overseer or bishop is in comparison to the pastor?

Either way thanks for the comment.

shiloh357

shiloh357

Royal Member

• Royal Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 32,886 posts

The biblical role of a pastor is three-fold - Bishop (overseer), elder (administrator) and Shepherd (watch-care, counselor).

Enoc

Enoc

• PipPip
  • 161 posts

God Bless 

Firestormx

Joseph

I see bishop in the text so I wouldn't go beyond that. It's not necessary to second guess God, although being human it can be a reflex at times. Bishops, correct me if I'm wrong, establish/oversee more then one church/pastor.

With that said, if you are not able to be a witness/example that represents a higher standard, it would be hard to establish credibility of spiritual authority with the new Pastors and/or carnal Christians. 

Worthy Christian Forums - Christian Message Boards - 1999-2014 part of the Worthy Network