christian forums

Worthy Christian Forums - Christian Forums

Welcome to Worthy Christian Forums
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Do I need any other book than the Bible to study?

* * * * * 1 votes Bible

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
36 replies to this topic

tff

tff
  • Members
  • 63 posts

Do I need any other book than the Bible to study the Word of God?  Does the Bible contain everything I need to know about God and the creation?

ncn

ncn

Royal Member

• Servant
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,317 posts

Firstly Welcome to Worthy. 

This forum's description (Worthy Welcome) is: "Shalom!

Welcome to Worthy Boards, introduce yourself and join our Christian community!"

Feel free to introduce yourself as you join our community.

I see that you have started seven threads in the welcome area , all with different questions. 

We encourage questions and discussion , but from experience on Worthy,

if you start so many threads it's hard to keep up with them. ( A bit like trying to put too much meat on a BBQ.) 

For this reason I have hidden some of them and moved two.  

May I suggest that you reply to this opening thread first, tell us a bit about yourself. 

This helps us and other members get to know you. 

Then you can start other threads in the appropriate forums and slowly take it from there. 

I look forward to reading your future postings. 

In reply to your question.

The Word of God contains every thing you will ever need.  

2Ti 3:16  All Scripture is God-breathed, and is profitable for doctrine, for reproof, for correction, for instruction in righteousness,

God Bless. 

Nigel. 

other one

other one

Royal Member

• Royal Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 25,012 posts

Do I need any other book than the Bible to study the Word of God?  Does the Bible contain everything I need to know about God and the creation?

It contains all the information you need to meet God, attain salvation and spend eternity outside of hell.

Cletus

Cletus

Veteran Member

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 727 posts
There are other books that can help you study and understand the bible. Concordances(strongs exhaustive is good) commentaries, study notes, maps, various dictionaries of which I find vines to be decent, bible handbooks. There is all kinds of study material out there, a lot of which can be had for free off the Internet if you search. But the bible by itself is fine if you do not have any of the other literature. You really need to read the bible and become familiar with it before you study it in depth.

He giveth more grace

He giveth more grace

Royal Member

• Royal Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,923 posts
The Bible is the Word of God, other books may contain quotes from the Bible, may contain truths learned from the Bible. If I was shipwrecked on deserted Island and the Bible was all I had I would be abundantly joyful because I had all of God's word.

Glad you found us and decided to register, you will obtain help here.

19Duggarfan

19Duggarfan

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,084 posts

Hello and welcome to Worthy, no the Bible is all you really need.

tff

tff
  • Members
  • 63 posts

It contains all the information you need to meet God, attain salvation and spend eternity outside of hell.

Thank you. It is appreciated.

tff

tff
  • Members
  • 63 posts

There are other books that can help you study and understand the bible. Concordances(strongs exhaustive is good) commentaries, study notes, maps, various dictionaries of which I find vines to be decent, bible handbooks. There is all kinds of study material out there, a lot of which can be had for free off the Internet if you search. But the bible by itself is fine if you do not have any of the other literature. You really need to read the bible and become familiar with it before you study it in depth.

The Bible is the Word of God, other books may contain quotes from the Bible, may contain truths learned from the Bible. If I was shipwrecked on deserted Island and the Bible was all I had I would be abundantly joyful because I had all of God's word.

Thanks for the reply and for that positive thought. I hope that I will find the truth on this site.

It is appreciated.

Edited by tff, 30 August 2014 - 09:36 AM.

tff

tff
  • Members
  • 63 posts

Thanks. Your reply

Thank you for that positive thought. I hope that I will find the truth on this site.

is appreciated.

Hello and welcome to Worthy, no the Bible is all you really need.

Thank you. I appreciate your reply.

tff

tff
  • Members
  • 63 posts

I see that you have started seven threads in the welcome area , all with different questions. 

if you start so many threads it's hard to keep up with them. ( A bit like trying to put too much meat on a BBQ.) 

May I suggest that you reply to this opening thread first, tell us a bit about yourself. 

Then you can start other threads in the appropriate forums and slowly take it from there. 

2Ti 3:16  All Scripture is God-breathed, and is profitable for doctrine, for reproof, for correction, for instruction in righteousness,

God Bless. 

Nigel. 

Hi Nigel, thanks for your reply.

Is this a Jewish site as you use a Jewish greeting - Shalom?

The many questions that I have placed are some of the questions that bothers me as there are many contradictions and teachings in the world today.

I am here to learn about the truth and not to chat, if you understand what I am saying.

I am sorry for starting so many threads as I understood that I had to place five articles before I could be accepted on this site, therefore the questions.

Sorry if this caused any problems on your side.

I accept that all people do not study the same subject.

Some might have a lot of insight on one subject and another person a lot on another subject.

By them replying on their special subjects, we might cover all of them at the same time and then we can all learn from each other.

I am from South Africa.

I am a pensioner and I am Afrikaans speaking.

English is not my mother tongue and I sometimes battle to understand and communicate in high English.

So, if I misunderstand some terms used on this site that I have commented on, or my spelling is wrong, please forgive me.

I have been to many different churches and after each church, I am more confused because there are many different teachings and all the churches claim to be teaching the truth. If they all teach the truth, you should only have one answer but you have as many answers as the churches. There is only one Bible which everybody here agrees on that it is the Word of God, and there should only be one truth for every question. Am I right because that is my logic that kicks in here?

Edited by tff, 30 August 2014 - 10:04 AM.

OneLight

OneLight

Royal Member

• Servant
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 27,126 posts

Welcome.

This site belongs to Christ and is His.  Some are Jewish, others are American, some British, some African ... this is a site that people from all over the world belongs to.  This ministry is based out of Israel and many of us, though not Jewish, use Shalom as a greeting and a blessing to others. The word Shalom means peace.  When I use it, it means His peace to the reader.

I also toned down your title.  Using all caps is like screaming in someones face.

Fez

Fez

Royal Member

• Servant
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,810 posts

God Bless. 

Nigel. 

Hi Nigel, thanks for your reply.

Is this a Jewish site as you use a Jewish greeting - Shalom?

The many questions that I have placed are some of the questions that bothers me as there are many contradictions and teachings in the world today.

I am here to learn about the truth and not to chat, if you understand what I am saying.

I am sorry for starting so many threads as I understood that I had to place five articles before I could be accepted on this site, therefore the questions.

Sorry if this caused any problems on your side.

I accept that all people do not study the same subject.

Some might have a lot of insight on one subject and another person a lot on another subject.

By them replying on their special subjects, we might cover all of them at the same time and then we can all learn from each other.

I am from South Africa.

I am a pensioner and I am Afrikaans speaking.

English is not my mother tongue and I sometimes battle to understand and communicate in high English.

So, if I misunderstand some terms used on this site that I have commented on, or my spelling is wrong, please forgive me.

I have been to many different churches and after each church, I am more confused because there are many different teachings and all the churches claim to be teaching the truth. If they all teach the truth, you should only have one answer but you have as many answers as the churches. There is only one Bible which everybody here agrees on that it is the Word of God, and there should only be one truth for every question. Am I right because that is my logic that kicks in here?

For someone who's first language is Afrikaans you are doing very well. Your English is above average, so no worries there.

What SA churches have you attended in that they confuse you even more? Care to give examples?

OakWood

OakWood

Royal Member

• Royal Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,083 posts

Welcome.

This site belongs to Christ and is His.  Some are Jewish, others are American, some British, some African ... this is a site that people from all over the world belongs to.  This ministry is based out of Israel and many of us, though not Jewish, use Shalom as a greeting and a blessing to others. The word Shalom means peace.  When I use it, it means His peace to the reader.

I also toned down your title.  Using all caps is like screaming in someones face.

I'm always wary about pronouncing the word 'shalom' carefully. The Muslims have a similar sounding word. Is the word pronounced as it is written? I've seen it written many times but I don't remember if I've ever heard it spoken. Do you have a phonetic of it?

FresnoJoe

FresnoJoe

Royal Member

• Worthy Watchman
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 43,901 posts

Welcome~!

~

Do I need any other book than the Bible to study the Word of God? 

Does the Bible contain everything I need to know about God and the creation?

:thumbsup:

The Bible

All scripture is given by inspiration of God, and is profitable for doctrine, for reproof, for correction, for instruction in righteousness: That the man of God may be perfect, throughly furnished unto all good works. 2 Timothy 3:16-17

Is The Big Book Of Jesus

And that from a child thou hast known the holy scriptures, which are able to make thee wise unto salvation through faith which is in Christ Jesus. 2 Timothy 3:15

And As For Those Who May Differ In Understandings

These were more noble than those in Thessalonica, in that they received the word with all readiness of mind, and searched the scriptures daily, whether those things were so. Acts 17:11

It's Not Always A Bad Thing

Iron sharpeneth iron; so a man sharpeneth the countenance of his friend. Proverbs 27:17

Seriously

All the days of the afflicted are evil: but he that is of a merry heart hath a continual feast. Proverbs 15:15

:)

~

Be Blessed Beloved Of The KING

The LORD bless thee, and keep thee:

The LORD make his face shine upon thee, and be gracious unto thee:

The LORD lift up his countenance upon thee, and give thee peace.

And they shall put my name upon the children of Israel; and I will bless them. Numbers 6:24-27

Love, Your Brother Joe

FresnoJoe

FresnoJoe

Royal Member

• Worthy Watchman
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 43,901 posts
I'm always wary about pronouncing the word 'shalom' carefully. The Muslims have a similar sounding word. Is the word pronounced as it is written? I've seen it written many times but I don't remember if I've ever heard it spoken. Do you have a phonetic of it?

:thumbsup:

Shalom

Salaam

Macs Son

Macs Son

Advanced Member

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 270 posts

Welcome.

This site belongs to Christ and is His.  Some are Jewish, others are American, some British, some African ... this is a site that people from all over the world belongs to.  This ministry is based out of Israel and many of us, though not Jewish, use Shalom as a greeting and a blessing to others. The word Shalom means peace.  When I use it, it means His peace to the reader. .....

1. Do I need any other book than the Bible to study the Word of God?
2. Does the Bible contain everything I need to know about God and the creation?

Hi Tff
To your 2 questions:
1. Well to study the Word of God you do need, first and foremost, the Bible but certainly there are other supplemental resources you may find helpful. Some of those would be Concordances, Word usages; commentaries, etc. If you're interested in supplemental resources I can recommend some online resources as well as books.
2. The Bible is the best source to study about God and contains all the foundational truths but, that said, it does not contain all the truths that speak about God and all that can be known about Him. All truth is God's truth and Saint Paul states this pretty clearly in Romans

Romans 1:19-23 because what may be known of God is manifest in them, for God has shown it to them. For since the creation of the world His invisible attributes are clearly seen, being understood by the things that are made, even His eternal power and Godhead, so that they are without excuse, because, although they knew God, they did not glorify Him as God, nor were thankful, but became futile in their thoughts, and their foolish hearts were darkened.

So everything around us witnesses and points to the knowledge of God, even the universe itself - which shines out a portion of His all encompassing Glory. I happen to also think the birth of my children also speaks to me of the glory God enriches us with, as well as miracles I've witnessed and other acts of God but we need to be careful; for nothing that glorifies God disagrees with the Word of God, which is foundational to these supplemental and external truths.

So I hope that all helps.
I'm also weighing in on the "Shalom" greeting as well as it appeared there was some confusion there:
שָׁלוֹם TL: shalowm was most likely the same word that our Lord Jesus used, since I personally believe He would have used the Hebrew form.
The Aramaic transliteration would have been Shlama - which is also close in approximation to Shalom. Many in Israel would have been used to either one but I tend to think the Hebrew form would have been more widely used back then. It is the same today. Etymology is the history of words but if you study English many words moved over wholesale from Latin, Spanish, Greek, French, etc. Shalom is still used in Israel today and has been by Jewish people throughout their centuries of exile from their land.
The Lord certainly used this word to speak to His prophets of old so there is no reason not to believe He would have done the same as the incarnate Son of God.
Hebrew

Leviticus 26:3-6
The Lord to Moses, 'If you walk in My statutes and keep My commandments, and perform them, ...I will give peacein the land, and you shall lie down, and none will make you afraid; I will rid the land of evil beasts, and the sword will not go through your land. I Am the LORD.

Moses to the People
Exodus 18:23
“If you do this thing, and God so commands you, then you will be able to endure, and all this people will also go to their place in peace".

Zechariah 8:16
These are the things you shall do: Speak each man the truth to his neighbor; Give judgment in your gates for truth, justice, and peace;

Numbers 6:26
The LORD lift up His countenance upon you, and give you peace.” 

New Testament
Jesus would not have used the Koine Greek of the New testament in speaking, as that was not His audience. However, the children of Israel were His audience, since it is to them He was sent to by the Father.

Matthew 10:5-7
These twelve Jesus sent out and commanded them, saying: "Do not go into the way of the Gentiles, and do not enter a city of the Samaritans. But go rather to the lost sheep of the house of Israel. And as you go, preach, saying, 'The kingdom of heaven is at hand.' "

John 14:27 “Peace I leave with you, My peace I give to you; not as the world gives do I give to you. Let not your heart be troubled, neither let it be afraid.
14:27 Εἰρήνην ἀφίημι ὑμῖν εἰρήνην τὴν ἐμὴν δίδωμι ὑμῖν οὐ καθὼς ὁ κόσμος δίδωσιν ἐγὼ δίδωμι ὑμῖν μὴ ταρασσέσθω ὑμῶν ἡ καρδία μηδὲ δειλιάτω
Peace in Greek = εἰρήνη eirēnē
So this is more fitting for John 14:27

Shalom I leave with you. My shalom I give to you; not as the world gives, give I to you. Don't let your heart be troubled, neither let it be fearful.

May you be blessed with fruitfulness in the enterprise of studying God's Word and
may the shalom of the Holy Spirit enlighten those studies,
In the Name of Christ Jesus, Pat

Edited by Macs Son, 30 August 2014 - 02:45 PM.

Fez

Fez

Royal Member

• Servant
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,810 posts

Welcome.

It's salaam and it's not a Muslim word it's an Arabic word. 

Willa

Willa

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,407 posts
Hi, tff, you are most welcome here. Since we are from all different Christian faiths, you will get all sorts of opinions here as well. Yet, considering that there are so many denominations, we do have an amazing amount of agreement. But it is the love of Christ which lives in each of us that binds us together as one.
We are a Christian group, as you will find in our statement of faith that we all agree to. But most of us support the nation of Israel in our prayers, and we have many people here of Jewish heritage who have received Jesus as their Messiah.

I also like a really good concordance. Many Bibles include them at the back, but something like Crudens Complete Concordance helps a lot. You can find Strongs online, as well as strongs numbers for each word so you can look up its meaning in Greek or Hebrew. It is a huge book so it is much easier to work with on line. It is for King James Version. Some translations need a special concordances.
Blessings,
Willa

Alejandro84

Alejandro84

• PipPip
  • 170 posts

One word: nope!

"All scripture is given by inspiration of God, and is profitable for doctrine, for reproof, for correction, for instruction in righteousness!"

kwikphilly

kwikphilly

Royal Member

• Royal Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,512 posts

Blessings tff

Welcome to Worthy........& welcome also to you Alejandro........

One word: nope!

"All scripture is given by inspiration of God, and is profitable for doctrine, for reproof, for correction, for instruction in righteousness!"    posted by Alejandro

My sentiments exactly & from Gods breathe to your ears!

There is but One Way ,the Truth & the Life....Jesus Christ.....when we come to Christ He gives us but One Spirit,the Holy Spirit,,,,the same Spirit that raised Him from the dead on the third day...........all you will ever need is Gods Word & the Holy Spirit will guide you through it giving you revelation with Wisdom & Understanding.............though there be many denominations & varying interpretations of the Scriptures there is...again ...ONE TRUTH,Jesus,,,,,The Way ,the Truth & the Life

Seek God ,ask our Lord to reveal Himself to you in His Word(the Bible)....He will......................whatever anyone preaches or teaches,search the Scriptures yourself & test what they say ..................With love-in Christ,Kwik

Worthy Christian Forums - Christian Message Boards - 1999-2014 part of the Worthy Network