christian forums

Worthy Christian Forums - Christian Forums

Welcome to Worthy Christian Forums
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Haven't been here in a while...

* * * * * 1 votes

• Please log in to reply
58 replies to this topic

bestrfcplayer

bestrfcplayer

• Nonbeliever
  • PipPip
  • 170 posts
And I just wanted to pop in and let people know that I am alive, and very well and have been ever more present in my spiritual journey. I'm now one of those people who while I do believe in God and Jesus, I don't really believe in the Bible, save for the Gospels.

Fez

Fez

Royal Member

• Servant
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,659 posts
  • Interests:Many and varied. Any technology with blinking and flashing lights, no matter what it does...

And I just wanted to pop in and let people know that I am alive, and very well and have been ever more present in my spiritual journey. I'm now one of those people who while I do believe in God and Jesus, I don't really believe in the Bible, save for the Gospels.

So you believe in God but you don't believe He created heaven and earth, or that He created man? 

Macs Son

Macs Son

Advanced Member

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 270 posts
  • Interests:Serving the Lord, for He is most worthy to be served with all our hearts; and to keep learning as His Holy Spirit continues to teach, encourage, correct, as well as guide me by His Great Love. Knowing God to the full and being known by Him as His child is my soul. I want to worship God with all abilities He has graced me with; in song, in my work, in my living out this life that He gave me. Last of all, but not certainly not least, I am interested in learning to pray and love in the purity of Christ who transforms the mind and heart.

Welcome back bestrfcplayer,
I'm sort of new here.
So you believe in Jesus but do not believe the Scriptures yet in the Gospel of John Jesus said the Scriptures cannot be broken. So if you believe the Gospels and believe the words of Christ it would seem some reconsideration of your statement might be necessary in order to rationalize that particular stance.

Jesus answered them, “I have shown you many good works from the Father; for which of them are you going to stone me?” The Jews answered him, “It is not for a good work that we are going to stone you but for blasphemy, because you, being a man, make yourself God.” Jesus answered them, “Is it not written in your Law, ‘I said, you are gods’? If he called them gods to whom the word of God came—and Scripture cannot be broken — do you say of him whom the Father consecrated and sent into the world, ‘You are blaspheming,’ because I said, ‘I am the Son of God’? If I am not doing the works of my Father, then do not believe me; 38 but if I do them, even though you do not believe me, believe the works, that you may know and understand that the Father is in me and I am in the Father.”

Anyhow glad you're back and ready for discussions as to faith and the Lord.
In Christ, Pat

Edited by Macs Son, 01 September 2014 - 03:56 PM.

bestrfcplayer

bestrfcplayer

• Nonbeliever
  • PipPip
  • 170 posts

So you believe in God but you don't believe He created heaven and earth, or that He created man?

I believe that He did, just not in the way the Bible says (I believe he created the Universe through the Big Bang, and us through evolution).

other one

other one

Royal Member

• Royal Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 24,651 posts
  • Interests:camping computers

Before you guys start in.....

Rom 10:8-9
the word is nigh thee, even in thy mouth, and in thy heart: that is, the word of faith, which we preach;

9 That if thou shalt confess with thy mouth the Lord Jesus, and shalt believe in thine heart that God hath raised him from the dead, thou shalt be saved.
KJV

Consider what is essential.

Parker1

Parker1

Royal Member

• Royal Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,129 posts
  • Interests:Growing in the knowledge of and having a relationship with Jesus the Christ; Football.

Welcome back, if even for a visit. Do you believe that Jesus Christ is the Son of GOD, that He became a human being, that he came to Earth, lived a sinless life, was crucified and paid the sin debt for everyone, has saved those who accept His sacrifice as payment for their sins, was raised from the dead by GOD after 3 days, and now sits at the right hand of GOD? Is He your Savior?

bestrfcplayer

bestrfcplayer

• Nonbeliever
  • PipPip
  • 170 posts

the word is nigh thee, even in thy mouth, and in thy heart: that is, the word of faith, which we preach;
9 That if thou shalt confess with thy mouth the Lord Jesus, and shalt believe in thine heart that God hath raised him from the dead, thou shalt be saved.
KJV

That came from Paul, not from Christ. I say John 3:16 is a better start.

Littlelambseativy

Littlelambseativy

Royal Member

• Royal Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,719 posts
  • Interests:Gardening, cooking, baking, making cards.
Isn't that like believing in the apple but not in the tree?? You can't have one without the other. The OT tells of Jesus and Jesus fulfills the OT. You cannot have one without the other!

other one

other one

Royal Member

• Royal Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 24,651 posts

KJV

That came from Paul, not from Christ. I say John 3:16 is a better start.

But John 3:16 in the original manuscripts says that you might not perish, where this says that you will definitely be saved.

John 3:16 is a not a definite "will not Perish" even though some of the later translations do say that.   The Greek does not put it into that context.   You are right though it is a good start, but not complete.

It took me a really long time to reconcile the book of Genesis with modern science so I do understand where you are coming from.

I'm just trying to help in your long term walk with the Lord.

OneLight

OneLight

Royal Member

• Servant
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 26,681 posts
  • Interests:God, Family, Friends and Climbing

I really enjoy discussing the Bible. There is so much to learn and so much to share.

I am led to reach my hand out, in love, to those in need.
You do realize that Jesus quoted the OT in many places and also taught the Apostles?

When Jesus ascended, His ministry did not stop. In fact, it just begun.

We read in John 16:12-15

I still have many things to say to you, but you cannot bear them now. However, when He, the Spirit of truth, has come, He will guide you into all truth; for He will not speak on His own authority, but whatever He hears He will speak; and He will tell you things to come. He will glorify Me, for He will take of what is Mine and declare it to you. All things that the Father has are Mine. Therefore I said that He will take of Mine and declare it to you.

Jesus spoke these words to His disciples, who became Apostles and wrote the rest of the NT. Since Jesus cannot lie, He did send the Holy Spirit, the Helper, the Spirit of truth who taught what He was told to teach. Those teachings are recorded by those whom Jesus trusted. There is much to gain from excepting all that Christ did, through all of time, not just 3 1/2 years.

bestrfcplayer

bestrfcplayer

• Nonbeliever
  • PipPip
  • 170 posts

You do realize that Jesus quoted the OT in many places and also taught the Apostles?When Jesus ascended, His ministry did not stop. In fact, it just begun.We read in John 16:12-15 

I still have many things to say to you, but you cannot bear them now. However, when He, the Spirit of truth, has come, He will guide you into all truth; for He will not speak on His own authority, but whatever He hears He will speak; and He will tell you things to come. He will glorify Me, for He will take of what is Mine and declare it to you. All things that the Father has are Mine. Therefore I said that He will take of Mine and declare it to you.

Jesus spoke these words to His disciples, who became Apostles and wrote the rest of the NT. Since Jesus cannot lie, He did send the Holy Spirit, the Helper, the Spirit of truth who taught what He was told to teach. Those teachings are recorded by those whom Jesus trusted. There is much to gain from excepting all that Christ did, through all of time, not just 3 1/2 years.

It's all so very complicated. I haven't had much time to think about this over the past couple of weeks (work, and then I just started freshmen year of college last week). I still need to sort things out, and I'm constantly battling with myself over what I am spiritually. I mean, I have most of my core values and ethics already in place, it's just the spiritual and religious things I need to sort out.

OneLight

OneLight

Royal Member

• Servant
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 26,681 posts

I really enjoy discussing the Bible. There is so much to learn and so much to share.

That is why it is so important to realize that all of scripture is for gaining more faith.  We read that our old man, the nature we held onto for so long and trusted, will no longer exist when we become a nre creation in Him, being more like Christ.

2 Corinthians 5:17

Therefore, if anyone is in Christ, he is a new creation; old things have passed away; behold, all things have become new.

Regeneration takes time, one second, one step at a time. Allow it to happen and you will understand.

bestrfcplayer

bestrfcplayer

• Nonbeliever
  • PipPip
  • 170 posts

That is why it is so important to realize that all of scripture is for gaining more faith.  We read that our old man, the nature we held onto for so long and trusted, will no longer exist when we become a nre creation in Him, being more like Christ. 2 Corinthians 5:17

Therefore, if anyone is in Christ, he is a new creation; old things have passed away; behold, all things have become new.

Regeneration takes time, one second, one step at a time. Allow it to happen and you will understand.

I'll be ready to take on the steps anytime that I can, maybe even setting aside time to study Scripture after I'm done with my homework, and in the morning before I drive to my classes. Faith is extremely complicated.

OneLight

OneLight

Royal Member

• Servant
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 26,681 posts

Faith is something He gives us. We have general faith that the breaks in a car will work, though we cannot see them when we press the peddle, yet we believe in what we cannot see. The faith He gives goes far beyond our natural faith and is gained through His word.

Romans 10:17

So then faith comes by hearing, and hearing by the word of God.

When this was written, there were no books, only scrolls, so lessons were spoken. Today, we can either read for ourselves or listen to scripture. Yet, it remains that to have the faith He provides, we must understand Him the best we can. As we allow Him to create a new man in us, we have a new heart and the mind of Christ.

What really matters is when you understand, it is not just a mindful understanding, but a heart felt understanding.

Psalms 119:11

Your word I have hidden in my heart, That I might not sin against You.

other one

other one

Royal Member

• Royal Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 24,651 posts

That is why it is so important to realize that all of scripture is for gaining more faith.  We read that our old man, the nature we held onto for so long and trusted, will no longer exist when we become a nre creation in Him, being more like Christ. 2 Corinthians 5:17

I'll be ready to take on the steps anytime that I can, maybe even setting aside time to study Scripture after I'm done with my homework, and in the morning before I drive to my classes. Faith is extremely complicated.

If you have an mp3 player in your car, you might download the bible and listen to it while you are on the way to school....  I did this  at my work and listened to the new testament a couple of hundred times over 20 years and the whole Bible a dozen.

angels4u

angels4u

Royal Member

• Worthy Watchman
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,971 posts

Romans 10:17New International Version (NIV)

17 Consequently, faith comes from hearing the message, and the message is heard through the word about Christ.

When you start reading the bible, God will show you the way through His Word and the Hoy Spirit will help you to understand  and guide you in what you are reading...God is amazing :)

Do you believe that Jesus died for your sins? God is truly amazing ad so full of love  that He gave His only Son to die for your and my sins so we have EVERLASTING life! :)

Praise God!

FresnoJoe

FresnoJoe

Royal Member

• Worthy Watchman
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 43,104 posts
  • Interests:The LORD bless thee, and keep thee: The LORD make his face shine upon thee, and be gracious unto thee: The LORD lift up his countenance upon thee, and give thee peace. And they shall put my name upon the children of Israel; and I will bless them. Numbers 6:24-27 - - - Love, Your Brother Joe

Welcome Back~!

bestrfcplayer

bestrfcplayer

• Nonbeliever
  • PipPip
  • 170 posts

If you have an mp3 player in your car, you might download the bible and listen to it while you are on the way to school....  I did this  at my work and listened to the new testament a couple of hundred times over 20 years and the whole Bible a dozen.

I do have an IPod, but not something that I can plug it into my car and listen to (that's a bit expensive at the store I work at, and I usually don't like to spend stuff over 20 bucks, unless it's gas, but that can't be helped lol)

Macs Son

Macs Son

Advanced Member

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 270 posts
  • Interests:Serving the Lord, for He is most worthy to be served with all our hearts; and to keep learning as His Holy Spirit continues to teach, encourage, correct, as well as guide me by His Great Love. Knowing God to the full and being known by Him as His child is my soul. I want to worship God with all abilities He has graced me with; in song, in my work, in my living out this life that He gave me. Last of all, but not certainly not least, I am interested in learning to pray and love in the purity of Christ who transforms the mind and heart.

KJV

Hi Other one,
Jesus affirmed the Old Testament Scriptures and even said they pointed to Him. He also affirmed Scripture "could not be broken" - His words not mine. The Apostles in the New Testament also affirmed the Old Testament. Lastly Jesus said this about believer of every generation in context with His Disciples present at the last supper:

John 17:20 "I do not pray for these alone, but also for those who will believe in Me through their word

So if one believes in the words of our Lord as communicated in the Gospel, affirming both the Old Testament as well as what the Apostles and Disciples would teach to the Church, I think it illogical to believe in the Gospels and rip out the rest of the Bible or the parts you don't like as Jefferson did. I think there is a danger in believing in a Jesus of your own choosing and not the Lord of Glory found in the Old Testament and affirmed by His Apostles and Disciples.

I believe the danger there is making a Jesus in our own image instead of worshipping God in Spirit and Truth.
In Christ, Pat

Edited by Macs Son, 03 September 2014 - 03:34 AM.

other one

other one

Royal Member

• Royal Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 24,651 posts

Hi Other one,
Jesus affirmed the Old Testament Scriptures and even said they pointed to Him. He also affirmed Scripture "could not be broken" - His words not mine. The Apostles in the New Testament also affirmed the Old Testament. Lastly Jesus said this about believer of every generation in context with His Disciples present at the last supper:

John 17:20 "I do not pray for these alone, but also for those who will believe in Me through their word

So if one believes in the words of our Lord as communicated in the Gospel, affirming both the Old Testament as well as what the Apostles and Disciples would teach to the Church, I think it illogical to believe in the Gospels and rip out the rest of the Bible or the parts you don't like as Jefferson did. I think there is a danger in believing in a Jesus of your own choosing and not the Lord of Glory found in the Old Testament and affirmed by His Apostles and Disciples.

I believe the danger there is making a Jesus in our own image instead of worshipping God in Spirit and Truth.
In Christ, Pat

So quoting a scripture focusing on what the Word says will save you is making Jesus in our image.....   do you have any idea what a Lord is and what your responsibility to that is?

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Worthy Christian Forums - Christian Message Boards - 1999-2014 part of the Worthy Network