christian forums

Worthy Christian Forums - Christian Forums

Welcome to Worthy Christian Forums
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Pastor claims bible says guns are ok

* * * * * 1 votes

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
335 replies to this topic

ayin jade

ayin jade

Royal Member

• Platinum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 35,037 posts

Im interested in your thoughts from a biblical perspective and not a secular perspective. The us constitution permits americans the right to bear arms, but biblically what do you think of this pastor's message?

http://www.abc15.com...hts-and-safety-

ENOCH2010

ENOCH2010

Advanced Member

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 457 posts

I say they will come in handy when the muslems try to take over our homeland.

ayin jade

ayin jade

Royal Member

• Platinum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 35,037 posts

I say they will come in handy when the muslems try to take over our homeland.

Is that what we as Christians should do?

Are his views biblically correct?

He giveth more grace

He giveth more grace

Royal Member

• Royal Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,923 posts
I received my first gun, a 20 ga shotgun, for my twelve birthday, my father bought it for me. Shortly after, I shot my first squirrel sitting in my Fathers lap as he sat on a big log. Hunting with my father was a very special time in my life. He taught me gun safety.

When I see someone in public with a sidearm holstered I feel so safe, I believe that they are authorized to carry.

Guns don't scare me, I am comfortable around them, that's just how I was raised. I was a Junior Deputy once and the taught gun safety.

Christians owning guns and teaching their Children, no problem.

LadyC

LadyC

Royal Member

• Royal Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,968 posts

from a biblical perspective, Jesus told His disciples to sell their cloak and buy a sword. Not for vengeance, and not even to defend oneself if being persecuted for their faith. so why then? because there are a million other reasons why one would need a weapon for defense. God differentiates between killing and murder. we shouldn't use the sword (or in this day and age, a gun... either way, God is talking about a weapon that can be used to kill) for our own personal gain. but throughout scripture God has His people defend against evil. if one's life is being threatened, whether it is yours or someone else's, it is permissible to use a sword. i'm sure that would extend to a gun. also from a biblical perspective, when the walls of jerusalem were being rebuilt, it was with sword in hand to defend those who would tear it down, or who would bring harm to the jews.  (nehemiah chapter 4). 

and of course, guns are also useful for putting fresh meat on the dinner table.

LadyC

LadyC

Royal Member

• Royal Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,968 posts

Shortly after, I shot my first squirrel sitting in my Fathers lap as he sat on a big log. Hunting with my father was a very special time in my life. He taught me gun safety.

LOL i had to read that three times before i understood that the squirrel was not sitting in your father's lap when you shot it. i was thinking WOW, that dad really trusted your aim! 

He giveth more grace

He giveth more grace

Royal Member

• Royal Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,923 posts

Shortly after, I shot my first squirrel sitting in my Fathers lap as he sat on a big log. Hunting with my father was a very special time in my life. He taught me gun safety.

LOL i had to read that three times before i understood that the squirrel was not sitting in your father's lap when you shot it. i was thinking WOW, that dad really trusted your aim!
Chuckle, oh no, I had to laugh, I needed that.

He giveth more grace

He giveth more grace

Royal Member

• Royal Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,923 posts

...when the walls of jerusalem were being rebuilt, it was with sword in hand to defend those who would tear it down, or who would bring harm to the jews.  (nehemiah chapter 4). 

That's pretty good obscure Biblical knowledge, LadyC. ;-)

LadyC

LadyC

Royal Member

• Royal Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,968 posts

...when the walls of jerusalem were being rebuilt, it was with sword in hand to defend those who would tear it down, or who would bring harm to the jews.  (nehemiah chapter 4). 

well, i've read the bible three times in the last four years, so i've learned a lot. blogged my way through one of those times, and REALLY gained a much deeper understanding of some subjects! sadly though, i forget more than i remember these days.

He giveth more grace

He giveth more grace

Royal Member

• Royal Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,923 posts

well, i've read the bible three times in the last four years, so i've learned a lot. blogged my way through one of those times, and REALLY gained a much deeper understanding of some subjects! sadly though, i forget more than i remember these days.
Alright then you won't mind if I test you a little.

I know what you mean about forgetting as days go by, my 'hey day' of knowledge was late 80s - first half of the 90s. ;-)

Persuaded

Persuaded

• PipPip
  • 245 posts

[Gen 14:14 KJV] And when Abram heard that his brother was taken captive, he armed his trained [servants], born in his own house, three hundred and eighteen, and pursued [them] unto Dan.

Some things, God expected Abram to leave to Him. He was told to stay in Canaan, but he went to Egypt when food was scarce and got himself into a bunch of trouble. But in the passage above, we see him taking the responsibility and working to ensure his family's safety. It isn't a trivial thing to train and arm 300-odd men.

It's an interesting theological dilemma, figuring out where trust in God ends and personal responsibility begins...

(and I don't own a gun, and haven't since my Daisy bb gun burst its air pump)

other one

other one

Royal Member

• Royal Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 25,012 posts

1 Timothy 5:8 ESV / 41 helpful votes

But if anyone does not provide for his relatives, and especially for members of his household, he has denied the faith and is worse than an unbeliever.

LadyC

LadyC

Royal Member

• Royal Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,968 posts

Alright then you won't mind if I test you a little.

I know what you mean about forgetting as days go by, my 'hey day' of knowledge was late 80s - first half of the 90s. ;-)

LOL, you can test me, but i can't promise i'll pass!

other one

other one

Royal Member

• Royal Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 25,012 posts

Psalm 82:4 Rescue the weak and needy; Deliver them out of the hand of the wicked.

other one

other one

Royal Member

• Royal Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 25,012 posts

Exodus 22:2-3  2 "If the thief is found breaking in, and he is struck so that he dies, there shall be no guilt for his bloodshed.

other one

other one

Royal Member

• Royal Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 25,012 posts

Esther 8:11-12  11 By these letters the king permitted the Jews who were in every city to gather together and protect their lives -- to destroy, kill, and annihilate all the forces of any people or province that would assault them, both little children and women, and to plunder their possessions..

other one

other one

Royal Member

• Royal Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 25,012 posts

Luke 22:35-39 And He said to them, "When I sent you without money bag, knapsack, and sandals, did you lack anything?" So they said, "Nothing."  36 Then He said to them, "But now, he who has a money bag, let him take it, and likewise a knapsack; and he who has no sword, let him sell his garment and buy one.

other one

other one

Royal Member

• Royal Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 25,012 posts

“Blessed be the LORD my strength which teacheth my hands to war, and my fingers to fight,” David writes in Psalms 144:1.

He giveth more grace

He giveth more grace

Royal Member

• Royal Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,923 posts

Esther 8:11-12 11 By these letters the king permitted the Jews who were in every city to gather together and protect their lives -- to destroy, kill, and annihilate all the forces of any people or province that would assault them, both little children and women, and to plunder their possessions..

Excellent, both post.

other one

other one

Royal Member

• Royal Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 25,012 posts

Our pastor does not carry as far as I know, but when I asked his opinion he told me that if I wanted it was OK with him and if some crazy breakes into the church he'll duck and we can deal with the person.....     I thought that was more of a joke a couple of years ago when we were talking about it but with ISIS just across the border from El Paso, it's starting to not be so humorous.

Worthy Christian Forums - Christian Message Boards - 1999-2014 part of the Worthy Network