christian forums

Worthy Christian Forums - Christian Forums

Welcome to Worthy Christian Forums
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

What Sins does God detest the Most??

* * * * * 1 votes

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
287 replies to this topic

WayneB

WayneB

Royal Member

• Royal Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,173 posts
OK, before we start I want to state that you will get no argument from me. I agree with you, God detests ALL sin (disobedience)!!! It is sin that separates man from God [Isaiah 59:2], which is why mankind needed a Savior…and God provided the Lamb, His one and only Son [John 3:16]. Jesus told us to be perfect as our heavenly Father is perfect [Matthew 5:48]. Of coarse the only way we can be perfect is to repent of all our sins and be clothed in the righteousness of Jesus Christ.

BUT, are there certain sins (or types of sin) that God finds more detestable than others?

Solomon wrote, “There are six things the LORD hates, seven that are detestable to him: haughty eyes, a lying tongue, hands that shed innocent blood, a heart that devises wicked schemes, feet that are quick to rush into evil, a false witness who pours out lies and a man who stirs up dissension among brothers.” [Proverb 6:16-19 NIV]

Looks to me that those who stir dissention in the body of believers, those who bear a false witness --- well, you get the point; they commit a sin that is detestable to God.

What are your thoughts? Are we guilty?

Hvnly1Rose

Hvnly1Rose

Veteran Member

• PipPipPipPip
  • 619 posts
I would have to say that would take us to Revelation concerning the 7 churches. Specifically those that he has something against...

Ephesus-The Loveless Church,
Pergamos-The Compromising Church,
Thyatira-The Corrupt Church,
Sardis-The Dead Church,
Laodicea-The Lukewarm Church.

Going through these I think that we fall under those sins that are detestable to God.

traveller

traveller

Royal Member

• Servant
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,973 posts

Solomon wrote, “There are six things the LORD hates, seven that are detestable to him: haughty eyes, a lying tongue, hands that shed innocent blood, a heart that devises wicked schemes, feet that are quick to rush into evil, a false witness who pours out lies and a man who stirs up dissension among brothers.” [Proverb 6:16-19 NIV]

The way I see this, is that these are the things that cause us to hurt, wound, destroy and, in general, cause potential irrepairable damage to other people. Even our close brothers and sisters. Haughty eyes would be comparison of ourselves against others, a self-glorification. Lying tongue - it all began with a lie from satan - a twisting of the truth - "surely thou will not surely die." God IS truth and a lie would be the direct opposite. Hands that shed innocent blood - Murder - I believe is talking about pre-meditated, killed from hatred.

All these are weapons which wound our brothers. We are to edify and to support and to encourage our brother, which is the desires of Christ in us. This other way is not Christ in us, but is flesh. This is how the world treats people, and we are to be apart from the world. Where the world tears down, we should be building up. Where the world ridicules, we should be encouraging. Where the world humiliates, we should be praising. Where the world lies, we should spread the Gospel. Where the world offers darkness, we should shine our lights. Where the world gloats and accuses, we should forgive. Where the world destroys, we should offer the hope and joy of our Lord Jesus Christ, who give the gift of life. We should do all these things, even on this very board.

My opinion. :o

Guest_shadow2b_*

Guest_shadow2b_*
  • Guests

-Looks to me that those who stir dissention in the body of believers, those who bear a false witness --- well, you get the point; they commit a sin that is detestable to God.

What are your thoughts? Are we guilty?

-DISSENTION?? :o DISSENTION? ;) AMONG BELIEVERS? :o heyyyPosted ImageIsz yuse adoin tha sayme thang byy jes askin tha quest-shun?hmm?Posted Imageargy-fyy-inn brudders?Posted Imagetsk.tsk.tsk.shaym-shaym-shaymPosted Imagedys-guss-tin-sym-plee-dys-guss-tinPosted Imagewesz isz knot gill-tee--wesz luvs ourn brudders cuz weszPosted Imageno-e-vile Posted Imageuhh-uhh--wesz alla daynces to da sayme toonszPosted Image

WayneB

WayneB

Royal Member

• Royal Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,173 posts
Great insight Trav and right on. Your words echo the words of Christ in Matthew 5-7.

Thanks Rose...I hadn't thought of the relation to the 7 churches.

Oh, and Gary...awesome characters! Where do you find this stuff? Yup, we are dancin' to the same tune...the Gospel tune, but unfortunately there are many who have perverted the Gospel and we need to be wary.

Am I meaning to be divisive? Yes, in a way, but not within the body of believers (His Church) but within the world. Even Jesus told us not suppose that he had come to bring peace to the earth. [Matthew 10:34].

What’s the point I’m trying to make? I believe that there is a BIG difference between sharing our opinion on doctrine and attempting to teach with authority.

Jesus lashed out violently against the Pharisees, those who mislead His sheep into a false doctrine of worship and sacrifice. He showed great patience for the adulterers, tax collectors, and so on but He demonstrated a disdain for the Pharisee who was attempting to steel His sheep. I believe when Jesus spoke of “the little ones” he was speaking of spiritual newborns just as much as the little children. [Matthew 18:1-7] The Seven Woes were addressed to the “teachers of the law and Pharisees”, those people who were more concerned with appearance rather than substance. Six times Jesus called them “hypocrites”…they had “exchanged the holy for the hollow”. [Matthew 23]

Even Paul had the harshest words for those that mislead the children of God with a different gospel. In the opening to his letter to the Galatia church, he said as much. [Galatians 1]

On a personal note, my youngest son is a part-time youth pastor while he is completing college. Before and still today, we discuss the awesome responsibility that he assumed. I told him many things (I’m loaded with opinions) but the most notable…and the point of this discussion…is that he must ensure that he teaches the Good News of Jesus Christ and not some perverted gospel. I further told him that he will be held accountable someday for what he teaches and the only source of Truth is the Word of God as revealed in the Holy Bible and as the Holy Spirit gives understanding.

Blessings all,
Wayne

His son

His son

Veteran Member

• PipPipPipPip
  • 842 posts
Quote:

All sin can be found in three main catagories: Lust of the flesh, Lust of the eye, and the pride of life. These three can be seen in the story of Eves temptation in the garden. God hates sin, and loves sinners, and He is no respecter of persons, and He is never changing. So He destests all sins, which are disobedience pure, and simple. His Gospel is not complicated but our enemy sure gets us deeply involved in that pursuit, and oh how subtily he does it.

WayneB

WayneB

Royal Member

• Royal Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,173 posts

His Gospel is not complicated but our enemy sure gets us deeply involved in that pursuit, and oh how subtily he does it.

His Son, you are absolutely right.

I am beginning to think it is because we don't really understand the Gospel. We think it is a Gospel of doctrine and theology...justification, sanctification, and so on. It is nothing of the like. It is a Gospel of redemption , the work of the cross whereby the sin debt of mankind was paid for. What we were called to do is share the Good News of Jesus Christ with as many who will listen. We cannot save ourselves or others…only God can! I am beginning to understand that more and more each and every day and in doing so I have less desire to get bogged down in debates on doctrine (although I still do on ocassion :unsure: ).

On another thread, JohnS is posting daily devotionals based on Oswald Chambers' sermons and writings. I have my very own copy by my bedside, which I read every night before bed.

Last night, I read the devotional for Feb 1, which stated --- "Paul states here that the call of God is to preach the gospel. But remember what Paul means by "the gospel," namely, the reality of redemption in our Lord Jesus Christ. We are inclined to make sanctification the goal of our preaching. Paul refers to personal experiences only by way of illustration, never as the end of the matter. We are not commissioned to preach salvation or sanctification—we are commissioned to lift up Jesus Christ ."

The devotional then refers us to John 12:32, which says: "But I, when I am lifted up from the earth, will draw all men to myself." God is reminding us that it is His work, not ours.

I know I have digressed from the point of the thread (or maybe I haven’t) but I couldn't help adding to what His Son wrote. It just tied in with what I read last night...it sure hits home!

What's your thoughts?

Blessings,
Wayne

NOTE: I have moved this thread to the Studies Forum in expectation that more will participate in the discussion, if it be God's Will. wbs

Adstar

Adstar

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,327 posts

Proverbs 16
16These six things the LORD hates,
        Yes, seven are an abomination to Him:
        17A proud look,
        A lying tongue,
        Hands that shed innocent blood,
        18A heart that devises wicked plans,
        Feet that are swift in running to evil,
        19A false witness who speaks lies,
        And one who sows discord among brethren.

When I read these things the LORD hates I see the attitude of the people who do these things, people who love to do these things who revel in evil. Some people get a sick pleasure out of doing these things and i think that is why our Lord Hates them so much. The sins are evil yes but many of the people who do these things do it for sport.

All Praise The Ancient Of Days

Hvnly1Rose

Hvnly1Rose

Veteran Member

• PipPipPipPip
  • 619 posts

Proverbs 16
16These six things the LORD hates,
        Yes, seven are an abomination to Him:
        17A proud look,
        A lying tongue,
        Hands that shed innocent blood,
        18A heart that devises wicked plans,
        Feet that are swift in running to evil,
        19A false witness who speaks lies,
        And one who sows discord among brethren.

When I read these things the LORD hates I see the attitude of the people who do these things, people who love to do these things who revel in evil. Some people get a sick pleasure out of doing these things and i think that is why our Lord Hates them so much. The sins are evil yes but many of the people who do these things do it for sport.

All Praise The Ancient Of Days

I have to agree. My 16 yr old started her first job just before Christmas and found out how nasty the world can really be. It's sad though cus she is working at Chuck E Cheeses. I guess because it is a place of innocence I was hoping that the people and management would treat their people a bit more respectfully and do their level best to protect the young. Since she has been there she has had run ins with a couple of the other employees and has to deal with a boss who has no business being a boss. She is taking it in stride and has found that there are many others around her that she likes and are kind & respectful to her. She has gotten one to go to youth group on Wednesdays and back to Church on Sundays (even asked for those days off). Found out that another is also a Christian, and may have had a hand in getting one to quit smoking pot. Well God is Great! No matter what the world does and even though He hates the sin He will tarry long enough to save the sinner whom He loves. Oh, and by the way, 6 of those 7 she has delt with. (no one has killed anyone.........YET!)

Rick

Rick

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 344 posts
What about the sin of unbeleif?

It's the sin that causes an unrepentant soul to enter hell. It takes the love of God and cast's it down to the ground and walks over it. It rejects the Grace of God and pardon for sin. It says to God I will not accept you. I refuse you! All sin is grievous to God, but it can be forgiven. But to ultimately reject Jesus unto death is the ultimate sin, in that it provides no recourse but for the unbeleiver to bare the full brunt of God's justice in requiring the sin debt be paid for by the individual. I personally can't imagine a sin that hurts God more than seeing those He loves rejecting Him, knowing that He must cast them off and into hell, for all time and eternity. Knowing the horror and suffering that awaits them.

I know those sins mentioned as being detestable to God are severe, but they pale in comparison to the penalty and the wrath of God that an unbeleiver will experience for unbeleif.

For this reason, I think it is the most detestable of all sins that a man can commit before God.

Just my thoughts...

Rick

WayneB

WayneB

Royal Member

• Royal Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,173 posts
And they were good thoughts Rick. You make a good point!

I am still trying to grasp the emotions of the Cross. I believe the rejection that Christ felt was much more painful and severe than the whips, the nails, the struggle to breath, the torn flesh .... well, you get the point!

Not to open a theological debate, but I wonder if the unpardonable sin is just that... a refusal to respond to God's call for fellowship with Him. What else could be more grievous to the Holy Spirit than to be rejected by the one He is calling?

God hates all sin because it separates us from Him. But He loved us while we were still sinners... so much in fact that He gave His one and only Son...sent Him to a sinner's cross so that our sin could be redeemed... paid in full! How much it must hurt Him when the lost refuse to accept Him because of their pride and arrogance.

Regardless, throughout His Word, he seems to have a greater wrath for those that mislead His sheep. I believe it was one thing to reject Him...is it worse to mislead other's to do the same?

Blessings,
Wayne

Rick

Rick

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 344 posts

Regardless, throughout His Word, he seems to have a greater wrath for those that mislead His sheep. I believe it was one thing to reject Him...is it worse to mislead other's to do the same?

Blessings,
Wayne

I've always felt like we are each responsible for what we allow ourselve's to believe. We can choose to take someone else's word as the truth, or we can search out the truth for ourselves, through the guidance of the Holy Spirit. I realize there is a warning to those that mislead others, but there is also a great danger in allowing ourselves to be deceived as well. I think ultimately that in both cases the end result is the same. Sort of a case of the blind leading the blind, and both falling into a ditch. It's the same ditch whether you are leading or following.

WayneB

WayneB

Royal Member

• Royal Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,173 posts

I think ultimately that in both cases the end result is the same. Sort of a case of the blind leading the blind, and both falling into a ditch. It's the same ditch whether you are leading or following.

You're right, it is the same ditch...the same end result...separation from God. What could be worse?????

All who reject God end up in eternity separated from Him forever...but maybe those that lead His children astray are treated more severely? Regardless brother Rick, born-again believers like us can't imagine anything worse than being separated from God so it's hard for us to measure severity. I agree.

Matthew18:6 "But if anyone causes one of these little ones who believe in me to sin, it would be better for him to have a large millstone hung around his neck and to be drowned in the depths of the sea."

And we can't ignore the severe warnings to the wolves... the seven woes in Matthew 23.

What do you think? Is the punishment for some sin more severe? In this life? In eternity? Both?

Blessings,
Wayne

Rick

Rick

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 344 posts

I think ultimately that in both cases the end result is the same.  Sort of a case of the blind leading the blind, and both falling into a ditch.  It's the same ditch whether you are leading or following.

You're right, it is the same ditch...the same end result...separation from God. What could be worse?????

All who reject God end up in eternity separated from Him forever...but maybe those that lead His children astray are treated more severely? Regardless brother Rick, born-again believers like us can't imagine anything worse than being separated from God so it's hard for us to measure severity. I agree.

Matthew18:6 "But if anyone causes one of these little ones who believe in me to sin, it would be better for him to have a large millstone hung around his neck and to be drowned in the depths of the sea."

And we can't ignore the severe warnings to the wolves... the seven woes in Matthew 23.

What do you think? Is the punishment for some sin more severe? In this life? In eternity? Both?

Blessings,
Wayne

There's a couple of verses that mention the lowest hell. Im not sure if it represents an increased degree of suffering or not. But it sure would seem that way. One that mentions the lowest hell is:

" For a fire is kindled in mine anger, and shall burn unto the lowest hell, and shall consume the earth with her increase, and set on fire the foundations of the mountains. " Deut. 32:22

It's enough to make you wonder that if there are varying degrees of hell, then it would make sense that there are varying degrees of punishment for sin. That would make some sins worse than others. I know God despises all sin, but loves the sinner, and yet 1 solitary sin left unpaid for, no matter how lightly it is deemed by man, in comparison to the others, is enough to deserve hell.

" How shall we escape if we neglect so great salvation......" Heb. 2:3..."

We wouldnt!

Rick

Guest_shadow2b_*

Guest_shadow2b_*
  • Guests

-Oh, and Gary...awesome characters! Where do you find this stuff? Yup, we are dancin' to the same tune...the Gospel tune, but unfortunately there are many who have perverted the Gospel and we need to be wary.

Am I meaning to be divisive? Yes, in a way, but not within the body of believers (His Church) but within the world. Even Jesus told us not suppose that he had come to bring peace to the earth. [Matthew 10:34].

-awwww--thanks bro..Patsy gets-em fer me & put-em on a webpage,then taught me how to paste-

-them on my posts--thats bout all i know bout-em--

-on the divisive thing I wuz just abein silly really-&-aggy-ray-va-tyn ya a lill bit--not serious at all :wub:

Guest_SpiritedDefence_*

Guest_SpiritedDefence_*
  • Guests
Do you really think God hates unbeleif so much?? :t2: I mean, if he does, and Jesus is the only way, then Heaven is going to be a pretty lonely place! And we'll have to see everyone else suffering in Hell below us... I've always thought that maybe Hell was more like Purgatory is tradtionally described, so maybe Christians can be purified just by acceptance, but everyone else will have to earn back what they rejected in life.

After all, it wouldn't be very loving to eternally torture even one person no matter how bad their crime! I'd like to think that God loves us all enough to find a way to save everyone. :P :wub:

Spirited Defence

Anonymous

Anonymous

Royal Member

• Royal Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,919 posts
Sin is sin to God. No matter how big or small. He is HOLY! Doesn't HE have the right to expect holiness from us? The good news is he made a way out for the punishment for sin (which was death). He sent his son, that we may confess our sins, & turn from them. We believe in him and that he came and died for us. He is the payment for our sins.

Do you really think God hates unbeleif so much?? :wub:  I mean, if he does, and Jesus is the only way, then Heaven is going to be a pretty lonely place! And we'll have to see everyone else suffering in Hell below us...

No.... heaven will not be a lonely place, He has provided the way! We only have to believe and accept Him.

Guest_SpiritedDefence_*

Guest_SpiritedDefence_*
  • Guests
Sheesh, well I know you're re-stating doctrine Anonymous, but its not really much of an answer! :D

Do you not think there's something wrong with the idea that the eternally loving God that we know could torture even one person for all eternity? Isn't torture always wrong in itself, no matter what the crime?

If God is infinite love, He cannot create a place of infinite pain, it would go against His nature,

Spirited Defence

catsmeow

catsmeow

Royal Member

• Royal Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,090 posts

The way I see this, is that these are the things that cause us to hurt, wound, destroy and, in general, cause potential irrepairable damage to other people.

Traveller...your whole post was excellent and a big thumbs up! :D But I wanted to comment on the issue of wounded people.

One of the worst trends I see within the Churches these days is the tendency for people to be superficial and show vague concern for a brother - thus making no effort to meet their needs. In other words, they're neglected or ignored.

Or as James says, when we see a brother or sister who are in need and we say, "Be blessed and well fed", but never offer to help them (when we have the means to help), what does that say about our 'love' of them?

It's purely superficial. Love is longsuffering and invests itself in others.

We really need to be committed to dress the "wound" of a brother or sister by encouraging words, taking the time to send a card or letter, intercede in prayer for them or meet some need they have.

They might need financial help; they might need our time; they might need us to pick up their groceries at the store. But when need arises, we should arise.

Rick

Rick

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 344 posts

Do you really think God hates unbeleif so much?? :D I mean, if he does, and Jesus is the only way, then Heaven is going to be a pretty lonely place! And we'll have to see everyone else suffering in Hell below us... I've always thought that maybe Hell was more like Purgatory is tradtionally described, so maybe Christians can be purified just by acceptance, but everyone else will have to earn back what they rejected in life.

After all, it wouldn't be very loving to eternally torture even one person no matter how bad their crime! I'd like to think that God loves us all enough to find a way to save everyone. :D :)

Spirited Defence

Would a loving God who gave Himself for us , so that we may have eternal life, and did everything possible to provide us with that life, cast anyone into hell who rejected His payment. Yes He would! God is a God of love, but yet He is also a Holy God, and a Righteous God, who is Just! Man chooses to reject Christ and receive upon himself the penalty for sin. And with that penalty he accepts that he will provide the payment for the penalty as well.
But the problem with man's attempt at providing that payment , is that it falls short of what is necessary to cover the sin debt. Thats why rejection of the ONLY acceptable payment for sin will bring about the full wrath of God.

It's sad that an unbeleiver would choose to reject Christ and choose an eternity of seperation from Him, when salvation is a gift from God that is so freely offered to all who would accept it. So in reality, God sends no one to hell, they choose it for themselves. He just sees that they abide by the choice they have made. Im sure many, if they could look over into hell, would like the option of changing their mind.

Of all the sins that are committed, the sin of unbeleif is the sin that rejects the atonement for all sins. It seperates the unbeleiver from God, not for a time, but for eternity. I know that some feel like there is a chance beyond the grave for those that have rejected Christ in this lifetime. But we are warned in scriptures that it is appointed unto men once to die, and after this the judgement. There is another verse that states there is no rememberance of thee in the grave. The dead are described in many verses as being asleep. Either, way it's not a safe bet to wait until you step into eternity to find out that you missed your chance to accept Christ in this life.

If you havent accepted Jesus Christ as your saviour, I would ask that you please re-evaluate your decision.

Jesus Saves to the utmost!

Rick

Worthy Christian Forums - Christian Message Boards - 1999-2014 part of the Worthy Network