christian forums

Worthy Christian Forums - Christian Forums

Welcome to Worthy Christian Forums
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

is it enough just to believe?

• Please log in to reply
85 replies to this topic

J77

J77
  • Members
  • 7 posts
  • Interests:I love Lord Jesus so much and I love computer game programming also.

In my personal experienced I first believe and then automatically it gradually leads me to good works.

OneLight

OneLight

Royal Member

• Royal Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 28,135 posts
  • Interests:God, Family, Friends and Climbing

I really enjoy discussing the Bible. There is so much to learn and so much to share.

I am led to reach my hand out, in love, to those in need.

I hope those who are replying to "Sam" realizes that he has not been here since 2008.  This should not deter you from posting, just realize that Sam probably will never answer.

MarkNigro

MarkNigro

Veteran Member

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 567 posts

The only thing needed for salvation is faith in the crucified and risen Lord Jesus Christ and the blood He shed as the complete payment for ours sins on the cross.

Jesus Christ, who is the Lord God Almighty, proclaimed the following.

John 3:14-16

14 And as Moses lifted up the serpent in the wilderness, even so must the Son of man be lifted up:

15 That whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have eternal life.

16 For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life.

Since belief is the only thing mentioned, it must be the only thing necessary for salvation. It cannot be belief plus anything else. If it were, then the statement would not be true. But Jesus said this, so it must be true. If someone does not believe these words spoken by Jesus Christ, then that person does not believe what Jesus Christ said. Therefore that person has not believed on the Lord Jesus Christ. John 3:14-15 and 16 are faith alone statements.

They also are eternal security (once saved, always saved) statements, else they would say might have everlasting life. If a person has everlasting life, they could never be damned. The same logic applies to the very many passages, which show that faith in the Lord Jesus Christ gives everlasting life.

From the above, we are assured by God Almighty the Saviour that if you believe in the Lord Jesus Christ, you are saved forever. Those that are saved through faith in the Lord Jesus Christ and His shed blood have all their sins paid for by that blood. They have all their sins forgiven by faith in His atoning blood. God will not remember their sins. Therefore, no passage of damnation or condemnation applies to those saved by faith in the Lord Jesus Christ.

Those that have not believed by faith alone are not saved. None of their sins are paid for, forgiven, or forgotten.  Every passage of damnation or condemnation applies to them. Many of these quote the very passages that condemn them.

Paul is the apostle of the Gentiles (Romans 11:13). He got the gospel by direct revelation of Jesus Christ (Galatians 1:11-12). Jesus Christ ordained that the Gentiles should hear the gospel of salvation from Paul (see Romans 15:16 and 2 Timothy 4:17). Paul and Silas were asked a very direct question. Paul, inspired by the Holy Spirit, said the following, which he got from the Lord Jesus Christ.

Acts 16:30-31

30 And brought them out, and said, Sirs, what must I do to be saved?

31 And they said, Believe on the Lord Jesus Christ, and thou shalt be saved, and thy house.

If anything else were needed for salvation besides believing in the Lord Jesus Christ, Paul would surely have said so. Faith alone in the Lord Jesus Christ and His shed blood for our sins saves.

Paul declared the gospel of salvation (the good news of Jesus Christ) in the following passage.

1 Corinthians 15:1-4

1 Moreover, brethren, I declare unto you the gospel which I preached unto you, which also ye have received, and wherein ye stand;

By which also ye are saved, if ye keep in memory what I preached unto you, unless ye have believed in vain.

3 For I delivered unto you first of all that which I also received, how that Christ died for our sins according to the scriptures;

4 And that he was buried, and that he rose again the third day according to the scriptures:

Paul also wrote that all those who believe the gospel of Jesus Christ are saved forever.

Romans 1:16

For I am not ashamed of the gospel of Christ: for it is the power of God unto salvation to every one that believeth; to the Jew first, and also to the Greek

Do you believe Jesus Christ who said:

John 6:47

Verily, verily, I say unto you, He that believeth on me hath everlasting life.

kismet

kismet
  • Nonbeliever
  • 26 posts

As the title says, is it enough just to believe that jesus is the son of god?

E.g. i might be a believer and still do bad things every day will i still go to heaven?

If so, what about murderers who believe, what will happen to them? A lot of criminals believe, they know a lot of what they do is evil but they cant help themselves, but still pray to jesus, whats gonna happen to them?

Surely u would think that a good person who helps people evryday and beileves will go to heaven. But will a person who believes and does nothing else, receieve the same reward as the former??

I believe there is nothing we have to do. It is all in God's hands, so all we need "do" is put our trust in God, and for some that takes the form of faith, others, it may be simply residing in the "being" of God, mentally or psychologically "trusting" Him. Of course our natural reverence and love for God may be awakened such that we do good actions or refrain from doing evil actions, but this isn't necessarily the case. Ultimately it is God who does ALL things, and so there is nothing for us left to be done, but think and live....

john14:6

john14:6

• PipPip
  • 123 posts
  • Interests:bible prophecy

E.g. i might be a believer and still do bad things every day will i still go to heaven?

If so, what about murderers who believe, what will happen to them? A lot of criminals believe, they know a lot of what they do is evil but they cant help themselves, but still pray to jesus, whats gonna happen to them?

Surely u would think that a good person who helps people evryday and beileves will go to heaven. But will a person who believes and does nothing else, receieve the same reward as the former??

I believe there is nothing we have to do. It is all in God's hands, so all we need "do" is put our trust in God, and for some that takes the form of faith, others, it may be simply residing in the "being" of God, mentally or psychologically "trusting" Him. Of course our natural reverence and love for God may be awakened such that we do good actions or refrain from doing evil actions, but this isn't necessarily the case. Ultimately it is God who does ALL things, and so there is nothing for us left to be done, but think and live....

kismet,

We do have to do something.

To believe in Jesus means more than just believing that he is the Son of God. I've heard others claim to be a Christian because they believe that Jesus is the son of God. That is not what is meant to believe in Jesus.

Believing is a work of the Holy Spirit in a person's life which leads to repentance & faith in the Gospel message. If we allow the Holy Spirit, through the Word of God to do His work in us He will convince us that we are separated from God by our sin, that we are helpless & hopeless sinners who need our sin forgiven, and that the ONLY way for our sin to be forgiven is through the finished work of God's only Son, Jesus, who died on the cross, shedding His blood there for remission of our sin.To believe in Jesus means to believe he will do what he says he will do if we come to him as a helpless hopeless sinner who desperately wants his/her sins forgiven and a new/changed life that only He can give. Jesus says in John 6:37 “all the Father gives me will come to me and anyone who comes to me I will not turn away.” The lost sinner comes to Jesus to receive forgiveness of sin and a changed life. There is nothing we can do to help Jesus save us but we must allow the Holy Spirit to do His convincing work in us which brings us to making a choice to either accept or reject God's offer of forgiveness & salvation. Our faith must be in the Gospel message & not in anything we do.

Soul

Soul
  • Members *
  • 1 posts

You should capitalize the name of Jesus, Son of God.

No, of course you can't believe and go about offending God by sinning and still go to Heaven. God is merciful but He is also just. Murders, adulterers, etc., won't inherit the Kingdom of Heaven. It's not enough to believe. God gave us rules to follow and we must follow them.

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Worthy Christian Forums - Christian Message Boards - 1999-2015 part of the Worthy Network