christian forums

Worthy Christian Forums - Christian Forums

Welcome to Worthy Christian Forums
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Cleaning a Kitchen Sponge

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
26 replies to this topic

kat8585

kat8585

Royal Member

• Royal Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,433 posts
Best Way to Get Germs Off a Kitchen Sponge

Even if you wash your kitchen sponge regularly, it can still be full of bacteria. In fact, studies show that the average kitchen sponge can contain up to a million more germs than a toilet seat! And if you're not careful, those germs can make it onto your dishes, your drinking glasses, and your countertops.

Fortunately, the best way to decontaminate a sponge is also the easiest. Just rinse it, wring it out, and microwave it for 30 to 60 seconds. The microwave will kill those nasty germs dead.

~pearl

~pearl

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,177 posts

In fact, studies show that the average kitchen sponge can contain up to a million more germs than a toilet seat!

:thumbsup:

Honeybee88

Honeybee88

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,135 posts
A quick solution that will be easy to incorporate into my daily cleaning regime! :whistling:

Matthitjah

Matthitjah

Royal Member

• Royal Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,514 posts
Just soak it in a solution of 10% bleach and 90% water then let it air dry for the next use. :whistling:

Resting in Christ

Resting in Christ

• PipPip
  • 109 posts

Just soak it in a solution of 10% bleach and 90% water then let it air dry for the next use. :whistling:

Are all those germs really bad for you? What happens if you just rinse it out with soap and water or run it through the dishwasher?

victory777

victory777

Veteran Member

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 865 posts
why not just buy a new one its easyer :whistling: :rolleyes:

Guest_~zoe-girl~_*

Guest_~zoe-girl~_*
  • Guests

why not just buy a new one its easyer :whistling: :rolleyes:

BIG AMEN TO THAT~

odditblue

odditblue

Advanced Member

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 316 posts
To get a bit off subject, but sort of on the same one....
My mom showed me once how difficult it is to get something back out of a sponge.
She took a mildly wet sponge and squirted it with dish soap.
Then said, let's see how long it takes under running water to get the soap back out of this sponge.
We rinsed it, then squeezed it out, and kept repeating that time and time again.
Each time, it still produced the bubbles.
We must have done it 50 times before the soap bubbles got fewer at all.
And still, there were bubbles.
She explained...
this is what your mind and spirit are like.
If you get the wrong kind of stuff inside, it takes a long, long time for the bad stuff to get back out again.
Even with running water and squeezing it out time and time again.
It really stuck with me through the years.
Good lesson with a simple sponge.
:whistling:

MorningGlory

MorningGlory

Royal Member

• Royal Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 32,598 posts
I'm paranoid about the germs in my kitchen sponge so, after a week or so, it's relegated to cleaning the bathtub, etc. and I put a new one in the kitchen. They really ARE a source of a lot of bacteria. :whistling:

kat8585

kat8585

Royal Member

• Royal Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,433 posts

To get a bit off subject, but sort of on the same one....
My mom showed me once how difficult it is to get something back out of a sponge.
She took a mildly wet sponge and squirted it with dish soap.
Then said, let's see how long it takes under running water to get the soap back out of this sponge.
We rinsed it, then squeezed it out, and kept repeating that time and time again.
Each time, it still produced the bubbles.
We must have done it 50 times before the soap bubbles got fewer at all.
And still, there were bubbles.
She explained...
this is what your mind and spirit are like.
If you get the wrong kind of stuff inside, it takes a long, long time for the bad stuff to get back out again.
Even with running water and squeezing it out time and time again.
It really stuck with me through the years.
Good lesson with a simple sponge.
:blink:

:rolleyes:

walla299

walla299

Royal Member

• Platinum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,803 posts

Just soak it in a solution of 10% bleach and 90% water then let it air dry for the next use. :rolleyes:

Yep, Clorox will kill anything growing on that sponge! :blink: It's cheap, too. :th_praying:

LadyRaven

LadyRaven

Royal Member

• Royal Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,518 posts

Just soak it in a solution of 10% bleach and 90% water then let it air dry for the next use. :blink:

Yep, Clorox will kill anything growing on that sponge! :th_praying: It's cheap, too. :emot-hug:

Or you could go rent some teen aged boys. No the counters wont be clean, but the sponge will never be full of unwanted bacteria either.

Resting in Christ

Resting in Christ

• PipPip
  • 109 posts

I'm paranoid about the germs in my kitchen sponge so, after a week or so, it's relegated to cleaning the bathtub, etc. and I put a new one in the kitchen. They really ARE a source of a lot of bacteria. :rolleyes:

iS IT GOOD TO PUT BACTERIA IN YOUR BATHTUB?

kat8585

kat8585

Royal Member

• Royal Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,433 posts

Or you could go rent some teen aged boys. No the counters wont be clean, but the sponge will never be full of unwanted bacteria either.

I don't get it. :blink:

nebula

nebula

Royal Member

• Worthy Watchman
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 56,992 posts

:laugh:

I don't get it. :whistling:

Kind of hard to get bacteria in the sponge if the sponge is never used . . . .

irishcowboy

irishcowboy

Royal Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,002 posts

Best Way to Get Germs Off a Kitchen Sponge

Even if you wash your kitchen sponge regularly, it can still be full of bacteria. In fact, studies show that the average kitchen sponge can contain up to a million more germs than a toilet seat! And if you're not careful, those germs can make it onto your dishes, your drinking glasses, and your countertops.

Fortunately, the best way to decontaminate a sponge is also the easiest. Just rinse it, wring it out, and microwave it for 30 to 60 seconds. The microwave will kill those nasty germs dead.

yep, most water closet seats are pretty clean, as is the water in the bowl, we are so paranoid about germs in and on the stool, we ensure it is clean, but the sink and tub are your worse area's of growth because we have a mind set, the only thing there is water and soap, oh yeah those and the floor, carpet in the bath room is worse then a sponge in the kitchen......

on the kitchen counters, we cut meat, veggies, drip grease, milk, flour and all sorts of things, flies gather to help clean up the moisture and ants find their way in, especially during wet weather conditions. then we get the little flat brown or black critters that most people think only show up in dirty houses, and they walk across the counter looking for moisture as well (roaches).

and then we use a sponge over and over and over again with out proper cleaning or exchange.......

sponges are just nasty...........

how about the ones on a stick that we use to clean the baby bottle? eeeeeuuuuuuwwwww!!!!!!!

please, i ask again, for your childs sake, PLEASE, use a brush and ensure it is cleaned and sanitized prior to putting a way and then ensure it dries before it is placed in a drawer, we put a cup hook under the counter to hang it from so that it could dry good....

sponges, use them once, clean properly, or get rid of...

mike

P.S. the worse place to store your tooth brush is the bathroom, the humidity, the heat, excellent place for growth in a damp object that has mouth bacteria all over it.....

FresnoJoe

FresnoJoe

Royal Member

• Worthy Watchman
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 43,023 posts
:soapbox: :taped: :noidea:

EricH

EricH

Royal Member

• Royal Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 19,526 posts
Moved from General Discussion to Cooking Tips and Tricks

LadyRaven

LadyRaven

Royal Member

• Royal Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,518 posts

Moved from General Discussion to Cooking Tips and Tricks

HUH? Who is cooking with a dirty kitchen sponge? :emot-pray:

MorningGlory

MorningGlory

Royal Member

• Royal Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 32,598 posts

I'm paranoid about the germs in my kitchen sponge so, after a week or so, it's relegated to cleaning the bathtub, etc. and I put a new one in the kitchen. They really ARE a source of a lot of bacteria. :laugh:

iS IT GOOD TO PUT BACTERIA IN YOUR BATHTUB?

No; I use the old sponge to scrub my bathtub with Comet, then I throw it away. Bacteria is much less harmful in the tub than in the kitchen. :emot-pray:

Worthy Christian Forums - Christian Message Boards - 1999-2014 part of the Worthy Network