• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  37
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  913
  • Content Per Day:  0.16
  • Days Won:  2
  • Birthday:  12/02/1969

I've had this when I was 12-13 also, and also various times in High School.. in College I researched it and then wrote a report about it the Psychology Professor giving me a "B". I found it recently and here is what I wrote...

Dream Imagery/Sleep Paralysis

When I was in elementary school I used to suffer from a terrifying reoccurring dreams of sleep paralysis. In these dreams I could not move or breath at all; it happened usually when I just work up although I really was withing a waking dream. The first thing that I would try to do is move and I would realize that I was immobilized then felt as if gravity was increasing on my chest or rather someone heavy was sitting on me but I couldn't see the person. I used to wake up from these dreams thinkign I was being haunted by demons at night, or something equally evil. Although I never mentioned it to my parents at the time it was very scary. I remember when I first had the dream that I stayed awake the rest of the night so that I could prevent it from reoccurring. Sometimes in having the dream I remember not being able to break and would desperate scream for someone to help but no sound would produce out of my mouth. The lack of air felt very real! I eventually overcame the dreams by rehearsing to myself before I wen tot sleep to not panic and "it's only a dream" that I was actually alright. I was able to control my dream and I haven't hard the dream since.

After some research I realize that sleep paralysis is actually a natural bodily function functions by hormones causing us to become monetarily paralyzed during our sleep. When our body is waking up if the hormones don't' go away before we are conscious were experience the brief second of terror. Since at the time I did not know what was happening it was a sort of test of courage for me, I became more confident from that experience.

I wrote this at the time before I was saved and knew nothing of the demonic world but now, being much wiser, its so clear to me. This is a working of the Devil and his fingerprints are all over it: Terror, Horror, Panic..

The Lord creates everything perfect. I don't believe this is one thing where some weird hormones paralyzes a Human. It's a deception of the Devil.. and because He operates in a pattern, he tries to wedge an excuse in there with science convincing us that the problem is with us and God has stricken us with some kind of illness or imperfection... B.S., its of the Devil.

What? Whoa. No. I mean, it's scary, because REM's a bodily process you're not supposed to be awake for....so when you DO wake up your mind might create a context for it that involves a nightmare...but it's just your motor neurons inhibited. I mean think about what would happen if you WEREN'T paralyzed while you dreamed....given that I've jumped off buildings and things in dreams, I'm more than willing to trade a few instances of half-awake paranoia for not going off the roof!

I know it can be terrifying, but it's just a hiccup that leaves you conscious for a part of your body's functioning you're not supposed to wake up for. There's no need to call it demonic.

I don't know if the underlying cause is demonic, but satan can definately use it to get to a person.

The first example I gave of being suffocated with a pillow was no "hiccup" it was very real and I was not asleep, so it wasn't a half-awake dream either.

More info on the pillow suffocating incidences-many people suffer from this,from what I've heard on Coast to Coast AM radio show.. George Noory (the host) refers to this as the "old hag" syndrome.

Hi shilo, I read about the "old hag" syndrome also. but this was an actuall real life pillow being held over my face with force. It wasn't just a feeling of pressure on my chest or face.

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Group:  Senior Member
  • Topic Count:  67
  • Content Count:  503
  • Content Per Day:  0.09
  • Days Won:  0

Oak no one ever said devil possesion. But the enemy WILL attack you when your asleep i.e. nightmares and night terrors.

I believe we are talking two seperate things here. ISP could very well be a physical problem, but don't dismiss the fact satan will use our weaknesses to torment us.

When you dimiss the reality of demonic attacks you leave yourself open to them because you don't know how to fight them.

Read Blien's post to yours it's very true.

Man some of you are so hard to reach. Let's start with schizophrenia:

"Schizophrenia is characterized by at least 2 of the following symptoms, for at least one month:

Delusions

Hallucinations

Disorganized speech (e.g., frequent derailment or incoherence)

Grossly disorganized or catatonic behavior

Negative symptoms (e.g., a "flattening" of one's emotions, alogia, avolition; see below)

(Only one symptom is required if delusions are bizarre or hallucinations consist of a voice keeping up a running commentary on the person's behavior or thoughts, or two or more voices conversing with each other.)

For a significant portion of the time since the onset of the disturbance, one or more major areas of functioning such as work, interpersonal relations, or self-care are markedly below the level achieved prior to the onset (or when the onset is in childhood or adolescence, failure to achieve expected level of interpersonal, academic, or occupational achievement)...Different Types of Schizophrenia:

Paranoid schizophrenia a person feels extremely suspicious, persecuted, grandiose, or experiences a combination of these emotions.

Disorganized schizophrenia a person is often incoherent but may not have delusions.

Catatonic schizophrenia a person is withdrawn, mute, negative and often assumes very unusual postures.

Residual schizophrenia a person is no longer delusion or hallucinating, but has no motivation or interest in life. These symptoms can be most devastating...."**

Yes, I read blien's post but did the disease that I mention seem angelic to you? What I wanted to do is comfort you and that apparently didn't work. You may not be aware that to a degree we are fallen. Some of the deadliest kinds' of falls is where there are really no symptoms the earth recognizes or at times even applauds. I never mentioned not to fight spiritually or not treat your ailment as not coming from evil. My simple message was that you can give it more power by being devastated. How to fight it spiritually? As I told Blien it's like getting yourself into physical shape. Parts are, pray; read the scripture, fast, take part in your Church's Holy Sacraments. Repent. Help others and use your spiritual gifts even if you're feeling low. Get face to face help from people of the cloth. Sometimes when in a paralytic state repeat, "Lord Jesus Christ, Son Of God have mercy on me." Over and over again - you have to find the weapons that will work for you. And yes use everything at your disposal even doctors and friends. Sorry you misunderstood me.

Oak

**Copyright

Sorry Oak, but you have really lost me.

I have tried to read your post several times and I'm still trying to discern where your going with the schizophrenia theme?

Believe me when I say I know nor ever have I had any mental or delisiusional issues.

The couple of times that I have felt demonic attacks during ISP episodes, I have rebuked them in the name of Jesus and they were gone. I have been taught and trained very well in spiritual warfare, and thankyou Jesus I am no wimp in this area.

Thank you for your concern and efforts of comfort.

Post 1 excerpt: I never even concidered it being demonic, or the chance for the enemy to hurt me in any way, until I read some of the reports from people who suffer from the same thing.

Sorry Oak, but you have really lost me.

I have tried to read your post several times and I'm still trying to discern where your going with the schizophrenia theme?

Believe me when I say I know nor ever have I had any mental or delisiusional issues.

The couple of times that I have felt demonic attacks during ISP episodes, I have rebuked them in the name of Jesus and they were gone. I have been taught and trained very well in spiritual warfare, and thankyou Jesus I am no wimp in this area.

Thank you for your concern and efforts of comfort.

Oh my. my, I'm dealing with a very literal minded person. Schizophrenia is not exactly, ISP niether are both an equivelant of a personality disorder. But all are emotion/mental disorders. Right? But they are not from the grace of Christ. Ok? So you deal with them as best that you can because they are evil and dirsuptive! And I mentioned a few ways to go about the fight that you may want to undertake. Let's make this very simple: being out of shape can have many causes and levels but if you want to get into shape (as varied as it may be) it usually works. I hope you get well with the grace of Christ!

- Oak

Edited by oak

Oh my. my, I'm dealing with a very literal minded person. Schizophrenia is not exactly, ISP niether are both an equivelant of a personality disorder. But all are emotion/mental disorders. Right? But they are not from the grace of Christ. Ok? So you deal with them as best that you can because they are evil and dirsuptive! And I mentioned a few ways to go about the fight that you may want to undertake. Let's make this very simple: being out of shape can have many causes and levels but if you want to get into shape (as varied as it may be) it usually works. I hope you get well with the grace of Christ!

- Oak

whoa there, oak. there seems to be a belittling type attitude towards stacey for not understanding your post. i, too, was lost as to why you brought up schizophrenia because you made no connection between them in your post. i can read between the lines pretty good, but i can't read your mind. no one can. even if the message in your post was clear as a bell, there's no need for the snide remarks!

i love ya, bud, but i think you know how to get your point across without this kind attitude. :)

Char:

You know and hopefully have known I love you and hate that you suffer. Let

Edited by oak

- Oak

whoa there, oak. there seems to be a belittling type attitude towards stacey for not understanding your post. i, too, was lost as to why you brought up schizophrenia because you made no connection between them in your post. i can read between the lines pretty good, but i can't read your mind. no one can. even if the message in your post was clear as a bell, there's no need for the snide remarks!

i love ya, bud, but i think you know how to get your point across without this kind attitude. :thumbsup:

Char:

You know and hopefully have known I love you and hate that you suffer. Let's take this point by point. In the spiritual sense what are most mental/emotional disorders caused by? On the spiritual side of things it's our true lack of faith and complete trust in God (my opinion). That's where I was coming from. I thought that was obvious because there was a conversation going on between me and Stacey and even our famous Blien was included. In short the post was not out of thin air.

Secondly as you may or may not now I was diagnosed with cancer which includes two areas. There is a chance we are in the area of metastic cancer (30% of metastic cancer patience live up to 5 years). The main problem is right now for every question there is a maybe yes or no, reply (it could be serious cancer or you could be on the recoverable side). I am not a Patton, though I'd love to be, but the pressure has taken a toll. I have had quite a few misunderstandings lately, and maybe your post is a sign is that I am no longer capable of helping people (which at one point I did).

The Best in Christ,

Oak

First off, I see that we approach this topic from two different angles. Our mind is the spiritual battle ground. And IMO satan will attack our minds when we are strong in the faith, because he wants to distract and disuade us from our course. But no matter how you see this situation, we are on the same wavelength that spiritual warfare is the solution.

Secondly, I'm sorry to hear about your situation I had no idea. Keep strong in your faith brother and I will be praying for you.

Sorry about any misunderstanding. :57_57:

Dear Stacey and Char,

Thank you both for your understanding and prayers.

Just one thing Char - oh no he just doesnt stop - because we have known each other for a time. The best way I can characterise my present state to you is being shocked. Now to keep this fair and balanced, I will accept that you interpreed my writing in a certain way. Presently however, shock produces agitation in me, a feeling of being misunderstood, a careless writng style which not is evident to me but everyoneone else. To the best of my knowledge, my intent was not to be sarcastic, simply because that doesn't match up with my state right now. However I will respect your opinion.

Most importantly, thank you for both your kindness,because it's hard being nice to people that are out of sorts such as myself.

Yours in Christ

Oak

PS Stacey keep on winning!

Edited by oak

• 7 months later...

• Group:  Members
  • Topic Count:  1
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  27
  • Content Per Day:  0.01
  • Birthday:  11/15/1985

IVE SUFFERED FROM SLEEP PARALYSIS ALL MY LIFE AND RECENTLY THIS YEAR I'VE COME TO BE ABLE TO COME OUT OF THE BODY THROUGH BEING PARALIZED. IT IS A VERY NATURAL OCCURENCE THAT HAPPENS IN EVERYONE ONCE THEY REACH THE REM (RAPID EYE MOVEMENT) STATE OF SLEEP WHICH THE STATE IN WHICH WE DREAM. THE BRAIN RELEASES THE HORMONE "MELATONIN" TO PARALIZE THE BODY TO KEEP US FROM ACTING OUT OUR DREAMS IN THE PHYSICAL AND HURTING OURSELVES. THE BEST WAY TO BREAK THIS STATE IS TO 1: STAY CALM AND RELAX 2: TRY TO MOVE YOUR PINKY FINGER OR JUST TRY JUMPING UP SPONTANEOUSLY AND IT'LL BREAK THE STATE WHILE YOU'RE IN IT!

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  1,022
  • Topics Per Day:  0.16
  • Content Count:  39,193
  • Content Per Day:  6.14
  • Days Won:  78

IVE SUFFERED FROM SLEEP PARALYSIS ALL MY LIFE AND RECENTLY THIS YEAR I'VE COME TO BE ABLE TO COME OUT OF THE BODY THROUGH BEING PARALIZED. IT IS A VERY NATURAL OCCURENCE THAT HAPPENS IN EVERYONE ONCE THEY REACH THE REM (RAPID EYE MOVEMENT) STATE OF SLEEP WHICH THE STATE IN WHICH WE DREAM. THE BRAIN RELEASES THE HORMONE "MELATONIN" TO PARALIZE THE BODY TO KEEP US FROM ACTING OUT OUR DREAMS IN THE PHYSICAL AND HURTING OURSELVES. THE BEST WAY TO BREAK THIS STATE IS TO 1: STAY CALM AND RELAX 2: TRY TO MOVE YOUR PINKY FINGER OR JUST TRY JUMPING UP SPONTANEOUSLY AND IT'LL BREAK THE STATE WHILE YOU'RE IN IT!

Apparently, this is much more common than most realize.

Welcome to Worthy, btw! :laugh:

• Group:  Members
  • Topic Count:  1
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  27
  • Content Per Day:  0.01
  • Birthday:  11/15/1985

Apparently, this is much more common than most realize.

Welcome to Worthy, btw! :)

THANX GLAD TO BE HERE, AND THIS IS A VERY COMMON PHENOMENON THAT ALL OF US EXPERIENCE WHEN WE ARE DREAMING. ITS JUST THROUGH SYNICAL FUNDAMENTALIST THAT THERES BEEN THE MYTHOLOGY OF A DARKER PRESENCE BEING ASSOCIATED WITH THIS OCCURENCE THAT LEAVES MOST PEOPLE IN FEAR OF FEELING LIKE THEIR BEING ATTACKED.