• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  83
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  1,683
  • Content Per Day:  0.30
  • Days Won:  1
  • Birthday:  02/14/1962

I've had this when I was 12-13 also, and also various times in High School.. in College I researched it and then wrote a report about it the Psychology Professor giving me a "B". I found it recently and here is what I wrote...

Dream Imagery/Sleep Paralysis

When I was in elementary school I used to suffer from a terrifying reoccurring dreams of sleep paralysis. In these dreams I could not move or breath at all; it happened usually when I just work up although I really was withing a waking dream. The first thing that I would try to do is move and I would realize that I was immobilized then felt as if gravity was increasing on my chest or rather someone heavy was sitting on me but I couldn't see the person. I used to wake up from these dreams thinkign I was being haunted by demons at night, or something equally evil. Although I never mentioned it to my parents at the time it was very scary. I remember when I first had the dream that I stayed awake the rest of the night so that I could prevent it from reoccurring. Sometimes in having the dream I remember not being able to break and would desperate scream for someone to help but no sound would produce out of my mouth. The lack of air felt very real! I eventually overcame the dreams by rehearsing to myself before I wen tot sleep to not panic and "it's only a dream" that I was actually alright. I was able to control my dream and I haven't hard the dream since.

After some research I realize that sleep paralysis is actually a natural bodily function functions by hormones causing us to become monetarily paralyzed during our sleep. When our body is waking up if the hormones don't' go away before we are conscious were experience the brief second of terror. Since at the time I did not know what was happening it was a sort of test of courage for me, I became more confident from that experience.

I wrote this at the time before I was saved and knew nothing of the demonic world but now, being much wiser, its so clear to me. This is a working of the Devil and his fingerprints are all over it: Terror, Horror, Panic..

The Lord creates everything perfect. I don't believe this is one thing where some weird hormones paralyzes a Human. It's a deception of the Devil.. and because He operates in a pattern, he tries to wedge an excuse in there with science convincing us that the problem is with us and God has stricken us with some kind of illness or imperfection... B.S., its of the Devil.

With all due respect blein, our bodies do produce a chemical that keeps us from moving about when we are asleep.If it weren't for this, we would possibly endanger ourselves or others. Possibly, sleep walking/driving is where there is a malfunction of this system, or the chemical doesnt work properly. Shiloh62

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Topic Count:  83
  • Content Count:  1,683
  • Content Per Day:  0.30
  • Birthday:  02/14/1962

I've had this when I was 12-13 also, and also various times in High School.. in College I researched it and then wrote a report about it the Psychology Professor giving me a "B". I found it recently and here is what I wrote...

When I was in elementary school I used to suffer from a terrifying reoccurring dreams of sleep paralysis. In these dreams I could not move or breath at all; it happened usually when I just work up although I really was withing a waking dream. The first thing that I would try to do is move and I would realize that I was immobilized then felt as if gravity was increasing on my chest or rather someone heavy was sitting on me but I couldn't see the person. I used to wake up from these dreams thinkign I was being haunted by demons at night, or something equally evil. Although I never mentioned it to my parents at the time it was very scary. I remember when I first had the dream that I stayed awake the rest of the night so that I could prevent it from reoccurring. Sometimes in having the dream I remember not being able to break and would desperate scream for someone to help but no sound would produce out of my mouth. The lack of air felt very real! I eventually overcame the dreams by rehearsing to myself before I wen tot sleep to not panic and "it's only a dream" that I was actually alright. I was able to control my dream and I haven't hard the dream since.

After some research I realize that sleep paralysis is actually a natural bodily function functions by hormones causing us to become monetarily paralyzed during our sleep. When our body is waking up if the hormones don't' go away before we are conscious were experience the brief second of terror. Since at the time I did not know what was happening it was a sort of test of courage for me, I became more confident from that experience.

I wrote this at the time before I was saved and knew nothing of the demonic world but now, being much wiser, its so clear to me. This is a working of the Devil and his fingerprints are all over it: Terror, Horror, Panic..

The Lord creates everything perfect. I don't believe this is one thing where some weird hormones paralyzes a Human. It's a deception of the Devil.. and because He operates in a pattern, he tries to wedge an excuse in there with science convincing us that the problem is with us and God has stricken us with some kind of illness or imperfection... B.S., its of the Devil.

What? Whoa. No. I mean, it's scary, because REM's a bodily process you're not supposed to be awake for....so when you DO wake up your mind might create a context for it that involves a nightmare...but it's just your motor neurons inhibited. I mean think about what would happen if you WEREN'T paralyzed while you dreamed....given that I've jumped off buildings and things in dreams, I'm more than willing to trade a few instances of half-awake paranoia for not going off the roof!

I know it can be terrifying, but it's just a hiccup that leaves you conscious for a part of your body's functioning you're not supposed to wake up for. There's no need to call it demonic.

I don't know if the underlying cause is demonic, but satan can definately use it to get to a person.

The first example I gave of being suffocated with a pillow was no "hiccup" it was very real and I was not asleep, so it wasn't a half-awake dream either.

More info on the pillow suffocating incidences-many people suffer from this,from what I've heard on Coast to Coast AM radio show.. George Noory (the host) refers to this as the "old hag" syndrome.

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  30
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  1,234
  • Content Per Day:  0.17
  • Days Won:  0
  • Birthday:  04/10/1987

With all due respect blein, our bodies do produce a chemical that keeps us from moving about when we are asleep.If it weren't for this, we would possibly endanger ourselves or others. Possibly, sleep walking/driving is where there is a malfunction of this system, or the chemical doesnt work properly. Shiloh62

It's worth noting that repeated experiences of waking up during REM is a major indication of some form of narcolepsy (which is a muscle disorder as much as it is about being sleepy at inappropriate times...)

• Topic Count:  37
  • Content Count:  913
  • Content Per Day:  0.16
  • Days Won:  2
  • Birthday:  12/02/1969

It's worth noting that repeated experiences of waking up during REM is a major indication of some form of narcolepsy (which is a muscle disorder as much as it is about being sleepy at inappropriate times...)

Hi georgesbluegirl,

I thought narcolepsy was falling asleep at any instance time or day? :th_praying: I've never done that. Maybe I need to research that.

Have you been to see a doctor about this?

No I haven't EricH. I never had medical insurance for myself while living in Fl.

Now that I live in CT. I have med. insurance for myself and kids so it is something I can definately seek help with.

((stacey)) im praying for you sister and i didnt realize u are one of my neighboring states btw we camp in connecticut sometimes!!

lv yr sis in christ

manie

((manie)) thanks for the prayers hun....

If your this way camping this year let me know..we'll figure something out to meet! I don't have all the gear yet but me and hubby have been talking about taking the kiddies camping sometime this sprong or summer.

• Followers:  3
  • Topic Count:  366
  • Topics Per Day:  0.05
  • Content Count:  10,933
  • Content Per Day:  1.57

Have you been to see a doctor about this?

No I haven't EricH. I never had medical insurance for myself while living in Fl.

Now that I live in CT. I have med. insurance for myself and kids so it is something I can definately seek help with.

Thats good!

• Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  30
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  1,234
  • Content Per Day:  0.17
  • Birthday:  04/10/1987

Hi georgesbluegirl,

I thought narcolepsy was falling asleep at any instance time or day? :thumbsup: I've never done that. Maybe I need to research that.

It's actually a much more nuanced disorder...most people with narcolepsy don't fall asleep randomly, those are just the most extreme cases. Actually, a lot of people go undiagnosed, because the manifestation of their symptoms is mostly just limited muscle "weakness." It is a disorder with a genetic basis, though, so the diagnosis can be somewhat clear cut. WebMD it to start, then go from there!

• Group:  Senior Member
  • Topic Count:  67
  • Content Count:  503
  • Content Per Day:  0.09

MISTAKE/ RETRACTION/ APOLOGY/ with an explanation for post #9

Oh no, realized I didn

• Topic Count:  346
  • Topics Per Day:  0.06
  • Content Count:  3,050
  • Content Per Day:  0.50
  • Days Won:  3
  • Birthday:  08/26/1982

Oak, my opinion about this entire matter doesn't mean it has to be yours. I never said anything about "possessions". I said it was an attack. They are two different things.

Now it terms of where does all the talk of 'spiritual things' lead to (in your opinion schizophrenia, anger, depression) I seriously suggest you go back to the Bible and reconsider all the things that took place openly in the New & Old Testament.. and all that is mentioned which is to come.

If you don't believe in the spiritual world that we combat with evil forces of darkness as Paul mentions in Ephesians then so be it. But one day you will realize the kind of world we live in.. I just hope you are not like those kind of believers who say they don't believe in Hell. The Devil thrives in ignorance even willful ignorance, I suggest you don't give him any ground.. know your enemy as it is said.

Ephesians 6:12

12 For we wrestle not against flesh and blood, but against principalities, against powers, against the rulers of the darkness of this world, against spiritual wickedness in high places.

I did a Google search and found a good resource on the enemy.. listed all over the scripture..

Evil Spirits Listed In Scripture

* spirit of jealousy (Numbers 5:14), * familiar spirit (I Samuel 28:7), * a spirit (Job 4:15), * spirit of deep sleep (Isaiah 29:10), * spirit of whoredoms (Hosea 4:12), * unclean spirit (Luke 8:29), * spirit of infirmity (Luke 13:11), * spirit of divination (Acts 16:16), * spirit of bondage (Romans 8:15), * enticing spirit (II Chronicles 18:20), * spirit of devils (Revelation 16:14), * spirits of false the prophets (I John 4:1), * seducing spirits (I Timothy 4:1), * evil spirits (Acts 19:13), * angel of light (disguised as) (II Corinthians 11:14), * the tormentors (Matthew 18:34), * a devil (Ephesians 4:27, Luke 9:42), * devils (Luke 11:20), * god of forces (Daniel 11:38), * prince of Persia (Daniel 10:13), * spirit of fear (II Timothy 1:7), * spirit of antichrist (I John 4:3), * spirit of error (I John 4:6), * foul spirit (Revelation 18:2), * prince of the power of the air (Ephesians 2:2), * another spirit (II Corinthians 11:4), * spirit of the world (I Corinthians 2:12), * unclean devil (Luke 4:33), * dumb spirit (Mark 9:17), * spirit of heaviness (Isaiah 61:3), * perverse spirit (Isaiah 19:14), * spirit of travail and vexation (Ecclesiastes 4:6), * a haughty spirit (Proverbs 16:18), * hasty spirit (Proverbs 14:29), * a lying spirit (II Chronicles 18:22).

Here is the source: http://alternative-counseling.org/sp-war/sw-orig.html not endorsing any of what the person says because I didn't read much but it seems to be a good look at the Devil and his schemes

MISTAKE/ RETRACTION/ APOLOGY/ with an explanation for post #9

Oh no, realized I didn't post an answer though the pressure on me is incredible and I'm not getting any younger. I didn't study your condition but became aware of it by pure chance. There were group of people gathered together and then my nieces' husband, Ryan, came in and said, 'I was awake but paralyzed, I was stricken with fear, this thing still hasn't left.' Two other people replied, 'we have the same condition.' And Ryan who is in training to be a nurse or doctor (not sure due to insurance issues), accurately described his condition which was accurately diagnosed since his whole family are doctors.

First step: see a doctor who is familiar with ISP because certain medications can help. Two, stop it with the possession stuff. Because with that kind of thinking where does it end - schizophrenia, anger disorder, depression? These things are not from the glory or grace of Christ. Yes pray, and always seek God's help, how can you ever go wrong with that? But realize that possession is a pretty specific occurrence and that for everything reach out and use all of God's tools available to you including, medical advice, talking to a friend, sharing etc. The worst place to be is in isolation and total despair. Avoid that at all costs.

- Oak

Oak no one ever said devil possesion. But the enemy WILL attack you when your asleep i.e. nightmares and night terrors.

I believe we are talking two seperate things here. ISP could very well be a physical problem, but don't dismiss the fact satan will use our weaknesses to torment us.

When you dimiss the reality of demonic attacks you leave yourself open to them because you don't know how to fight them.

Read Blien's post to yours it's very true.