My name is not I WAS

When you live in the future,

with its problems and fears,

it is hard. I am not there.

My name is not I WILL BE.

When you live in this moment,

it is not hard. I am here.

My name is I AM.

KittyLover has posted this on the same forum. I have a doubt. Does God mean to say we should not live in our past, and not fear the future, but live in the present instead?

What was God's point?

Blessings.

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  22
  • Topic Count:  1,294
  • Topics Per Day:  0.21
  • Content Count:  31,762
  • Content Per Day:  5.23
  • Days Won:  115

I had it explained to me this way. If we have one foot in yesterday and the other in tomorrow, we neglect today. Today is were we will find God. We can not change anything about yesterday, nor should we worry about tomorrow. All we can take from yesterday is the knowledge we learned and all we can have for tomorrow is the hope in Him, so live in today and do His work He has for us now.

• Thumbs Up 3

What was God's point?

Point

"Trust in the LORD with all thine heart; and lean not unto thine own understanding.

In all thy ways acknowledge him, and he shall direct thy paths."

Proverbs 3:5-6

Trust Him

"Search me, O God, and know my heart: try me, and know my thoughts:

And see if there be any wicked way in me, and lead me in the way everlasting."

Psalms 139:24

For The LORD Is our Shepherd

"The LORD is my shepherd; I shall not want.

He maketh me to lie down in green pastures: he leadeth me beside the still waters.

He restoreth my soul: he leadeth me in the paths of righteousness for his name's sake.

Yea, though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil: for thou art with me; thy rod and thy staff they comfort me.

Thou preparest a table before me in the presence of mine enemies: thou anointest my head with oil; my cup runneth over.

Surely goodness and mercy shall follow me all the days of my life: and I will dwell in the house of the LORD for ever.

Psalms 23

And You Are His Beloved Daughter

• 10 years later...

• Group:  Mars Hill
  • Followers:  12
  • Topic Count:  12
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  7,689
  • Content Per Day:  2.39
  • Days Won:  20

On 2/15/2009 at 10:10 PM, GerdaHannah said:

I have a doubt. Does God mean to say we should not live in our past, and not fear the future, but live in the present instead?

What was God's point?

His Word.

"Fear not."   (read Hebrews, about the women of faith,  with no fear, not even of sudden things>)

"Forgetting what lies behind,  pressing forward for what lies ahead (in Christ, His Plan and His Life) "

"The gentile heathen worry about tomorrow, what they shall eat, what they shall put on(wear), "

"Your heavenly Father knows all your needs. "  HE takes care of the sparrows, providing all they need, and they do not work"

"Ye are worth more than a million sparrow".

"So do not worry about tomorrow.  The troubles today are enough for today."

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  69
  • Topics Per Day:  0.03
  • Content Count:  1,625
  • Content Per Day:  0.79
  • Days Won:  1

On 2/16/2009 at 4:10 AM, GerdaHannah said:

Does God mean to say we should not live in our past, and not fear the future, but live in the present instead?

Shalom GerdaHannah,

Yes, "I AM" has an indeterminate time assigned to it.  What I mean is this - Yahweh is outside of time itself, neither affected by it or pushed along by it, he is outside of the dimension of time. Therefore, he always is the same, yesterday, today and tomorrow.

I think the lesson we are meant to learn from this is to think eternally by living in the present. If the past is history and tomorrow never truly arrives, we should focus on the here and now.  God's work for today, His blessings of today and the love we should share today. Now, not later, but even within this very hour. 

To be stuck in yesterday is a dead-end. To be always worried about the future is pointless. But to be present and now, for Yahweh, is to truly live life.

"Life is what happens to you whilst you're busy making other plans" ~ John Lennon 

Love & Shalom

• Thumbs Up 2

• 4 weeks later...

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  5
  • Topic Count:  17
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  3,299
  • Content Per Day:  1.72
  • Days Won:  0

On 16 February 2009 at 4:10 AM, GerdaHannah said:

I have a doubt. Does God mean to say we should not live in our past, and not fear the future, but live in the present instead?

What was God's point?

The past has gone. It cannot be changed. All that can be changed is how one views the past.

In the same way the future is unknown but full of potential. We can change the future if we are aware of today.

Today we seek forgiveness from those we have hurt and from God. Today we rejoice that God has forgiven us for yesterdays sins and that we can move forward into tomorrow.

Tomorrow is not to be feared. Yes you may know that something terrible is going to happen tomorrow. You will not face it alone.

As Jesus said,'We have to pick up and carry our own cross to our place of excution!'

For some people that is literally true, for most of us it just means face difficult times.