• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  2
  • Topic Count:  196
  • Topics Per Day:  0.03
  • Content Count:  1,343
  • Content Per Day:  0.23
  • Days Won:  1
  • Birthday:  12/03/1964

I have been involved in prison ministry for the last 8 years. It has really been a blessing. I work with a interdenominational ministry of evangelical laymen and ministers who go into a state penal processing unit for the state. Most of these guys are at the front end of their sentence, just processing from the county jails and being evaluated psychologically, physically, and vocationally. We lead a weekly worship service and offer a free correspondence course. I am in a new ministry in Belhaven NC and I am leading a groiup of laymen in the church I pastor into a similiar ministry at a men's medium security prison in the adjacent county. What I would like to know is there anyone interested on the forum in sharing stories of your experience in prison ministry, or would like to know how to start a similiar ministry in your part of the world. It is amazing how relatively easy it is to organize and how eager the penal system is and how eager the inmates are to receive ministry.

• Group:  Junior Member
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  4
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  105
  • Content Per Day:  0.02
  • Days Won:  0

David: i was a prison guard for over 8 years and i got saved while i worked there. i was in a strange position for ministry, in that there was a limit to how much i could help anyone and also, i was a brand new Christian. so i didn't do alot of ministry beyond prayer and encouragement.

but an inmate told me something once that might be worth knowing: he told me that alot of guys, when they 1st get locked up, read the Bible alot because it makes them feel better but that they never really put it in practice and when they get out, they leave their Bible behind in prison. Basically, they try to be Chrisitians when they're locked up and forget about it when they get out. so, if i were involved in prison ministry, this would be something i would try to address.

i want to say to you that you have all my respect for what you do, God bless you. "I was in prison and you remembered me." in the institution that i worked, even hard men had respect and love for those who took the trouble to try to help them in ministry. they really appreciated it. God bless you.

• Topic Count:  196
  • Topics Per Day:  0.03
  • Content Count:  1,343
  • Content Per Day:  0.23
  • Days Won:  1
  • Birthday:  12/03/1964

David: i was a prison guard for over 8 years and i got saved while i worked there. i was in a strange position for ministry, in that there was a limit to how much i could help anyone and also, i was a brand new Christian. so i didn't do alot of ministry beyond prayer and encouragement.

but an inmate told me something once that might be worth knowing: he told me that alot of guys, when they 1st get locked up, read the Bible alot because it makes them feel better but that they never really put it in practice and when they get out, they leave their Bible behind in prison. Basically, they try to be Chrisitians when they're locked up and forget about it when they get out. so, if i were involved in prison ministry, this would be something i would try to address.

i want to say to you that you have all my respect for what you do, God bless you. "I was in prison and you remembered me." in the institution that i worked, even hard men had respect and love for those who took the trouble to try to help them in ministry. they really appreciated it. God bless you.

Hey thanks for sharing this...One of the guys on our ministry team is a converted former guard. He listened every week to the presentation when he was a guard and he accepted Christ as a result. Once he left the position of guard he got involved with the team. He eventually was ordained as a preacher in a local church. Hey, good to hear stories like this. It is a real encouragement.

• Topic Count:  97
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  640
  • Content Per Day:  0.10

Hey thanks for sharing this...One of the guys on our ministry team is a converted former guard. He listened every week to the presentation when he was a guard and he accepted Christ as a result. Once he left the position of guard he got involved with the team. He eventually was ordained as a preacher in a local church. Hey, good to hear stories like this. It is a real encouragement.

I was involved a few years ago in jail ministry in Blount County, Tn. It was a great experience and although I don't know how much good I ever did anyone else It was a terrific blessing to me and I felt stronger and more vibrant as a Christian. I left the church who's authority I was entering the jail under and was consequently out of it for a few years. The church that I have been with since leaving the church previously mentioned formed a jail ministry a couple of years ago and now my schedule is permitting me to resume my participation in that ministry in Knox County, Tn.

I have been accepted by the Jail Authorities and am now waiting to attend the classes required in this county to enter the jail as a volunteer. I would also encourage everyone to spend some time in this. the spiritual blessings are tremendous and whether someone uses it as a jail house faith becomes unimportant, the seed that you either plant, water or harvest is for God to determine.

The Jails and prisons are a strong breeding ground for Islam whatever truth you can bring into a prisoners life can prevent or change this false teaching from spreading.

• Topic Count:  116
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  678
  • Content Per Day:  0.09

This is interesting to know. I will have to ask my small group leader about it as he does prison ministry.

• 1 year later...

• Group:  Members
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Topics Per Day:  0
  • Content Count:  3
  • Content Per Day:  0.00
  • Birthday:  01/06/1955

I have been involved in prison ministry for the last 8 years. It has really been a blessing. I work with a interdenominational ministry of evangelical laymen and ministers who go into a state penal processing unit for the state. Most of these guys are at the front end of their sentence, just processing from the county jails and being evaluated psychologically, physically, and vocationally. We lead a weekly worship service and offer a free correspondence course. I am in a new ministry in Belhaven NC and I am leading a groiup of laymen in the church I pastor into a similiar ministry at a men's medium security prison in the adjacent county. What I would like to know is there anyone interested on the forum in sharing stories of your experience in prison ministry, or would like to know how to start a similiar ministry in your part of the world. It is amazing how relatively easy it is to organize and how eager the penal system is and how eager the inmates are to receive ministry.

• Group:  Members
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Topics Per Day:  0
  • Content Count:  3
  • Content Per Day:  0.00
  • Birthday:  01/06/1955

This is interesting to know. I will have to ask my small group leader about it as he does prison ministry.

Having been in Prison as a inmate, I too know from experience that when most folks end up there, that they do indeed turn to the bible. In some rare cases, some of us have come to know JESUS and after our release have continued to follow HIS teachings & instruction. BUT.. I too was guilty of NOT doing this after my release, it was only after GOD kept reminding me of what HE has done for me THEN I have begun to really follow HIS directions.

Since then, I have been out for 22 years next month and am involved in Prison Ministry. I had to accept the fact that Prison is where I belonged and also that JESUS wants me there for others too. So I have the personal experience of entering prisons through BOTH the Sally Port in chains AND through the front door as a free but saved man.

So DON'T give up if your involved in a prison ministry because it's due to your love AND GOD'S that I am still free! If folks like yourself had not made the attempt to share God's word with me & others, then I would still be inside as a inmate.

P.S. YOU, may never see results of the seed you helped plant BUT GOD DOES

Thank you to each & every one of you for being there for me & others! I couldn't have done it without you