Sign in to follow this  
Guest TheChief

Bean Basics

I know if I don't soak beans overnight they end up hard like gravel. I soak them overnight, changing the water a couple times, then put fresh water on and let them steam or cook as gently as possible for a night and a day. Add some ham, sauteed onion, ground cloves and salt and pepper. Eat with sweet corn bread :)

I was just about to start a new topic when I spotted yours. Since i am now retired, I have decided to do much of my cooking from scratch rather than by buying canned food. I have several crock pots and I just got 40 pounds of dried beans from amazon.com I have succesfully been able to cook dried beans in a crock pot, but i have been wondering about what kinds of additions to add with the beans. I have been using chopped up pieces of ham steak and onion as well. I have four different kinds of beans: pinto beans, red kidney beans, navy beans, and great northen beans. I let my beans soak overnight then I wash the beans put them in a crock pot and cook on high for five or six hours and they come out pretty well. I was just wondering what else I could put in the beans to improve the flavor. 

Edited by gamnot

I don't have a pressure cooker and have never used one. But I understand that you can boil them and then let them soak for a couple of hours and they would be ready to cook. 

I don't have a pressure cooker and have never used one. But I understand that you can boil them and then let them soak for a couple of hours and they would be ready to cook. 

On 5/18/2012 at 6:19 PM, Sian12 said:

I know if I don't soak beans overnight they end up hard like gravel. I soak them overnight, changing the water a couple times, then put fresh water on and let them steam or cook as gently as possible for a night and a day. Add some ham, sauteed onion, ground cloves and salt and pepper. Eat with sweet corn bread :)

I soak them overnight.It gets out the enzymes which helps to digest the beans and make them less gassy. :D

On 5/18/2012 at 6:19 PM, Sian12 said:

mmmmm

I have about ten notifications in y email box that my post was quoted.  Is something wrong with the board today?

I have been having trouble with this thread since last night. All kinds of weird things happening here. I don't know if it is the entire site or just this thread.

Thanks for letting me know :-)

I have about ten notifications in y email box that my post was quoted.  Is something wrong with the board today?

Sign in to follow this